Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No you take Lafreniere and then absolutely destroy teams in the first 3 years of his contract.

But this team is making the playoffs so it doesn't matter anyways.

If you take him, one of Marner/Nylander are gone in 3 years regardless, so enjoy the ride

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He was one of the few guys I still have carrying over from my board last year. Checked off a lot of boxes. Respectable international resume, now has a bit of pro experience and improved his MHL numbers.

Now, where he goes is the real question. I wouldn't even consider him until the 5th or 6th round unless he plays more pro games.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I have reviewed some of the guys from the CHL recently... There are some guys who have really had a strong second half. Most of them were borderline guys to begin with, but now they are really coming on the radar (Ethan Caldwell, Maxim Bykov, Declan McDonnell) and not too many guys who have dropped off really.

So there could be some steals for us in the 6th/7th round to add some depth.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

He was one of the few guys I still have carrying over from my board last year. Checked off a lot of boxes. Respectable international resume, now has a bit of pro experience and improved his MHL numbers.

Now, where he goes is the real question. I wouldn't even consider him until the 5th or 6th round unless he plays more pro games.

Reactions: SprDaVE

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm watching the Colts/ 67's game right now and Goaltender Will Cranley has my curiosity for the 67's. He is the back up who is draft eligible this year. He is 6'4, 185lbs. He has a strong, low stance, takes up a lot of net and moves well for his size. He has a 15-2 record with a 3.07 GAA and a .888 sv%.

He plays on a very strong Ottawa team so his record is going to help his case but you would expect his sv% should be above .900. This is why I think it would be a good idea to look at him with one of our many late picks. He could be a late bloomer with his size and tools, he could be a good project. He could be similar to Rinne when he was drafted by the preds. He was the backup for his team and never got into any games, so the Preds only got to scout him in warmups and went off that. With Cranley being the backup and having just ok numbers he could get overlooked.

In another note, Tyson Foerster will likely be someone we are looking at with our 2nd although I think he will be gone by the time we pick. 6'1, 193lbs and has 32 goals and 74 pts in 56 games this year. His situation is similar to our Abramov in that he is not on a good team and the next closest guy on his team has 44 pts. Favourite player is Ovechkin. This is my 2nd time watching him this year and I will be watching him live tomorrow , so I will keep a close eye on him.

Reactions: cookie

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm watching the Colts/ 67's game right now and Goaltender Will Cranley has my curiosity for the 67's. He is the back up who is draft eligible this year. He is 6'4, 185lbs. He has a strong, low stance, takes up a lot of net and moves well for his size. He has a 15-2 record with a 3.07 GAA and a .888 sv%.

He plays on a very strong Ottawa team so his record is going to help his case but you would expect his sv% should be above .900. This is why I think it would be a good idea to look at him with one of our many late picks. He could be a late bloomer with his size and tools, he could be a good project. He could be similar to Rinne when he was drafted by the preds. He was the backup for his team and never got into any games, so the Preds only got to scout him in warmups and went off that. With Cranley being the backup and having just ok numbers he could get overlooked.

In another note, Tyson Foerster will likely be someone we are looking at with our 2nd although I think he will be gone by the time we pick. 6'1, 193lbs and has 32 goals and 74 pts in 56 games this year. His situation is similar to our Abramov in that he is not on a good team and the next closest guy on his team has 44 pts. Favourite player is Ovechkin. This is my 2nd time watching him this year and I will be watching him live tomorrow , so I will keep a close eye on him.

Yeah those stats are going to scare a lot of teams off... Especially when he only has two years to prove himself and he is going to be on a downswinging team through his prime

His career save percentage is in like the .870 range despite playing on one of the best teams in the CHL for two years straight. His running mate has had two straight years of being among the league's highest save percentage, despite not being a goalie who is attracting much NHL attention.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

That's the opposite of my mindset when looking at goalie stats. When a goalie has mediocre numbers on a terrible team, it often means they might actually have a lot of untapped potential (see: Matt Murray). When a goalie has good numbers on a good team, it could go either way. When a goalie has bad numbers on a great team, however, I can't imagine any case where that's worth a draft pick (purely stat watching).

Reactions: Auston Escobar

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Yeah those stats are going to scare a lot of teams off... Especially when he only has two years to prove himself and he is going to be on a downswinging team through his prime

His career save percentage is in like the .870 range despite playing on one of the best teams in the CHL for two years straight. His running mate has had two straight years of being among the league's highest save percentage, despite not being a goalie who is attracting much NHL attention.
I forgot to add that he was a 2nd round pick by the 67's so he did have some pedigree coming into the OHL. We have lots of late picks so he could be something to work with and could see a breakout. Look what happened with Ian Scott after working with the training staff.

Another goalie I would look at is 6'2 Calle Clang. I haven't watched him play but he has a .912 sv% for Rogle and excellent international numbers. Plus his name is awesome!

It would be good to get some euro goalies in the system since it gives us more control. I have always been the biggest fan of Finnish goalies but Euro goalies seem to be ahead of Canadian goalies the last few years. It would be nice to get in on the wave of Russian goalies coming in.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I forgot to add that he was a 2nd round pick by the 67's so he did have some pedigree coming into the OHL. We have lots of late picks so he could be something to work with and could see a breakout. Look what happened with Ian Scott after working with the training staff.

Another goalie I would look at is 6'2 Calle Clang. I haven't watched him play but he has a .912 sv% for Rogle and excellent international numbers. Plus his name is awesome!

It would be good to get some euro goalies in the system since it gives us more control. I have always been the biggest fan of Finnish goalies but Euro goalies seem to be ahead of Canadian goalies the last few years. It would be nice to get in on the wave of Russian goalies coming in.
I'd rather take a shot at a guy like Jan Bednar.

6'4" but just 196 lbs, and while he hasn't been great this year, he's one of the youngest goalies in the draft (17 until late August). Has plenty of room to fill out that frame and has the speed and reflexes to be extremely good.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I'm not too worried about OHL pedigree. Usually it does not matter, especially for goalies. Top goalies are usually guys with good physical tools in a nice body, but if they can't hack it in the OHL, it does not matter.

It is a weak draft for goalies, but there should be some good ones in the 4th and 5th rounds for us to look at

Reactions: kk87

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
That's the opposite of my mindset when looking at goalie stats. When a goalie has mediocre numbers on a terrible team, it often means they might actually have a lot of untapped potential (see: Matt Murray). When a goalie has good numbers on a good team, it could go either way. When a goalie has bad numbers on a great team, however, I can't imagine any case where that's worth a draft pick (purely stat watching).
Agreed. My post was more about there could be something there to work with. A big guy with good tools that has mediocre numbers will mean teams will overlook him. All it takes is for a scout or goalie coach to see something they can work with (like my Rinne comparison).

Coaching can make a huge difference. Every coach has different philosophies and insights into the position. All it takes is for the right one to make everything click. Ian Scott went from a .897 sv% to a .932 after working with the Leafs/marlies coaching/development team for a couple months.

He may also benefit from more playing time next year

Reactions: kk87

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd rather take a shot at a guy like Jan Bednar.

6'4" but just 196 lbs, and while he hasn't been great this year, he's one of the youngest goalies in the draft (17 until late August). Has plenty of room to fill out that frame and has the speed and reflexes to be extremely good.
I'll try to look into this guy. Thanks.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't mind drafting some players that the Leafs invited to their development camp last summer in the mid to late rounds:

Xavier Simmoneau -> Centerman in the QMJHL 80 points in 58 GP. Born in 2001 so he's a draft +1
Marc Antoine Pepin -> Defenseman in the QMJHL 33 points in 55 GP. Born in 2001, so he's also a draft +1
Nathan Staios -> Defenseman in the OHL 41 points in 58 GP. Born in 2001, he's also a draft +1

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't mind drafting some players that the Leafs invited to their development camp last summer in the mid to late rounds:

Xavier Simmoneau -> Centerman in the QMJHL 80 points in 58 GP. Born in 2001 so he's a draft +1
Marc Antoine Pepin -> Defenseman in the QMJHL 33 points in 55 GP. Born in 2001, so he's also a draft +1
Nathan Staios -> Defenseman in the OHL 41 points in 58 GP. Born in 2001, he's also a draft +1

None of them have been overly impressive. May get drafted, but there are better OA players, plus late round DY guys with more upside.

PP drives a lot of their production, and I am always worried about that with prospects.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Egor Sokolov would be interesting with one of our mid/late round picks too.

Simoneau is the only prospect of the 3 I'd have some form of interest in with a late pick.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Egor Sokolov would be interesting with one of our mid/late round picks too.

Simoneau is the only prospect of the 3 I'd have some form of interest in with a late pick.

Why was Sokolov never drafted? He's the only guy giving Robertson a run for scoring (although older) and comes in a 6'3" 223 lbs or 6'4" 230 lbs frame (depending who you believe).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Why was Sokolov never drafted? He's the only guy giving Robertson a run for scoring (although older) and comes in a 6'3" 223 lbs or 6'4" 230 lbs frame (depending who you believe).

His skating sucked. Like really bad. People say it has improved a lot but it still didn't impress me whenever I watched him in the QMJHL nor at the WJC. Like it is not nearly as bad as it was, but it's still a long ways away. Defense still needs work too and likely will never be amazing.

He's very much like Brazeau, except with much better teammates helping him score in bunches right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
His skating sucked. Like really bad. People say it has improved a lot but it still didn't impress me whenever I watched him in the QMJHL nor at the WJC. Like it is not nearly as bad as it was, but it's still a long ways away. Defense still needs work too and likely will never be amazing.

He's very much like Brazeau, except with much better teammates helping him score in bunches right now.

Ah! Was wondering if it might have been skating. There's usually such a size bias that it seems odd to score like that and not get a sniff. Would definitely be interesting if that is the case, whether Barb could fix him. Does he have any physical streak at all? I'm going to guess not so much.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Ah! Was wondering if it might have been skating. There's usually such a size bias that it seems odd to score like that and not get a sniff. Would definitely be interesting if that is the case, whether Barb could fix him. Does he have any physical streak at all? I'm going to guess not so much.

Hes actually pretty gritty. Hes no Simmonds/Lucic, but he gets his nose dirty. Kind of like Hyman

Reactions: horner

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hes actually pretty gritty. Hes no Simmonds/Lucic, but he gets his nose dirty. Kind of like Hyman

I was going to say Korshkov was the comparison. Meets the size profile a little bit better too.

Main difference is Korshkov is much better defensively and was able to perform better internationally, as well as was already a seasoned pro by his age.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I was going to say Korshkov was the comparison. Meets the size profile a little bit better too.

Main difference is Korshkov is much better defensively and was able to perform better internationally, as well as was already a seasoned pro by his age.
I was only comparing his grit/physicality level, not actual playstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad