Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I see Bob's list has Daws at #60

How would people feel about us taking him with our 2nd or 3rd this year? I've got some doubts but I'd like to see some options of people who may have seen him in the OHL
We don't need to toss a second or third rounder at him. Goalies are so hit and miss that unless you're getting a Knight/Askarov level prospect you're better off waiting to pick goalies until the later rounds.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
#16 Shawn Element C
Cape Breton Eagles QMJHL
6 feet 210 pounds

Hard hitter , defensive stud, great shot blocker with a offensive flare. He battles for the pucks and creates open ice for himself and his linemates.

When he hits it reminds me and wendle Clark and scott Steven's. Everyone on the arena can hear the hit.

Was invited to the Blakhawks Camp last yr but paper work wasn't sent in on time.

Worth a flyer pick imo 3rd rnd
#Future NHLer
#Maple Leafs

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
#16 Shawn Element C
Cape Breton Eagles QMJHL
6 feet 210 pounds

Hard hitter , defensive stud, great shot blocker with a offensive flare. He battles for the pucks and creates open ice for himself and his linemates.

When he hits it reminds me and wendle Clark and scott Steven's. Everyone on the arena can hear the hit.

Was invited to the Blakhawks Camp last yr but paper work wasn't sent in on time.

#Future NHLer
#Maple Leafs
I wouldn't waste a pick that high on him. Maybe a flyer with one of our 7ths. Not having a good enough D+2 year to warrant that high of a pick.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
#16 Shawn Element C
Cape Breton Eagles QMJHL
6 feet 210 pounds

#Future NHLer
#Maple Leafs

The guy isn't even worth a 7th rounder. We can't afford to take fliers on AHL contract-type prospects. Otherwise we may as well just sign Stotts for free. He's better overall and doesn't cost a pick.

Reactions: stickty111

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I seen him as a more of a 200 foot impact player

He can control game flow and tempo
I'd rather add that to the leafs for a future 2nd/3rd line player

Francis is the highest ranked Eagles player for the draft
And Sokolov is the best offensive player. But they dont have complete 200 foot nhl games.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

And Sokolov is the best offensive player. But they dont have complete 200 foot nhl games.
He's a 19 year old player playing 'okay' at an age he should be dominating if he ever wants to make the NHL.

If he was 17 and playing like he is then maybe you pick him, but there are a tonne of players better than him, especially for his age.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

That describes a lot of players, and a lot of them were capable of doing it before 19 years old.

Also, while I am looking at Sokolov right now due to his crazy production, his skating and ability beyond scoring is lacking out of a legit prospect. He'd pretty much be a flyer prospect that would be a total ECHL project, much like Brazeau.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Anybody watch a lot of Eastern OHL games? I wonder where Jack Quinn gets taken. He's ranked all over the place and I doubt he slips into the 2nd round it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Could be a by product of an elite Ottawa team that is 26-1-0 in their last 27 games with the 1 loss coming against the Petes.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Anybody watch a lot of Eastern OHL games? I wonder where Jack Quinn gets taken. He's ranked all over the place and I doubt he slips into the 2nd round it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Could be a by product of an elite Ottawa team that is 26-1-0 in their last 27 games with the 1 loss coming against the Petes.

I think it is a matter of whether he is a top 15, top 25 or top 40 talent. He's not a top 10 talent in this draft, or any other draft, but depending on your feelings about him, he can be in any of those areas. I personally think he'll be taken in the top 25, and may slip right into the top 15, but I would personally not take him in the top 15 with the number of quality centers and defensemen available right after the top 10.

horner

May 22, 2007
#16 Shawn Element C
Cape Breton Eagles QMJHL
6 feet 210 pounds

#Future NHLer
#Maple Leafs

Late rd pk
Sign me up.

Nikishin D from Russia is another good one in the 2 and rd , hits to hurt.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sign me up.
We need to find a couple of stud defensive man, that hit block shots and clear the net.

Nikishin D from Russia is another good one in the 2 and rd , hits to hurt.

He's a center...

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I hope if Fred's out for a while and we end up out of the playoff race, we end up tanking hard. I want us to take a shot on Askarov if we can. These russian goalies are going to dominate the 2020s and I hope to get in on the party. We need a franchise G badly.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I hope if Fred's out for a while and we end up out of the playoff race, we end up tanking hard. I want us to take a shot on Askarov if we can. These russian goalies are going to dominate the 2020s and I hope to get in on the party. We need a franchise G badly.
You honestly think this team won't make the playoffs? This team is 10th in the conference but just 13th in the NHL. The conferences need to balance out a little bit down the stretch and too many of the teams around us have been hot for way too long.. They'll be there and probably finish 5th behind Tampa/Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

I think it is a matter of whether he is a top 15, top 25 or top 40 talent. He's not a top 10 talent in this draft, or any other draft, but depending on your feelings about him, he can be in any of those areas. I personally think he'll be taken in the top 25, and may slip right into the top 15, but I would personally not take him in the top 15 with the number of quality centers and defensemen available right after the top 10.

I don't watch a lot of OHL games, but I went to see the 67s on Jan 10 (they beat Guelph 9-6, neither goalie could stop a beach ball in the 1st). I believe Quinn scored a goal or two in that game, but he didn't really stand out to me. Full disclosure, I claim to have 0 scouting ability, so my opinions could be extremely wrong lol (also, it's only 1 viewing).

After Ottawa's top line, I thought that Mitchell Hoelscher was the most impressive forward. His speed and puck control through the neutral zone were noticeable, and he scored on a couple nice shots (I think, maybe only 1). He's a '00 centering the 2nd line, drafted by NJ but not yet signed, might be a nice piece to ask for in a trade.

Noel Hoefenmayer was pretty impressive as Ottawa's top dman, a '99 who was drafted by Arizona but is playing his OA season after not signing. He has decent wheels and a good transition game, not afraid to join or even lead the rush, he might do well in the Leafs' transition system. Good size, and I don't remember him doing anything dumb in the d zone (although I'm sure he was on for at least 1 goal against, he seemed to get lots of TOI). He was the best dman at an age when he should be the best dman, so maybe only worth an AHL contract?

Another dman who was noticeable was Alec Belanger, an '02 in his first draft year. Good skater, good size, and again no memorable goofs in the dzone (for whatever that's worth, the game was a month ago). He made a really nice play offensively to score a goal, moving around/between defenders to get into the slot for a quick wrister. He also was not afraid to jump up offensively for support.

I was not impressed with Daws (pulled after the 1st, 5 goals on 12 shots), Bennett or Cranley, although I would say Cranley was the best goalie in the game. Tolnai, Crete (OTT), Bakanov and Gogolev (GUE) didn't really stand out either among other draft eligibles. Guelph captain Cam Hillis is another drafted-but-not-signed '00 C who is probably worth an ELC. Montreal has like 4 or 5 CHLers from the 2018 draft to make a decision on in the next few months, and like Hoelscher, Hillis might be a nice add-in on a potential trade (since the Marlies next season may or may not be dressing Stotts and Holmberg as rookies down the middle).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Production-wise, I don't believe Hoelscher or Hillis are any better than Stotts. They play more often than Stotts, so the raw numbers are obviously higher, and I don't know how they are deployed but I also know that a fair amount of Stotts' deployment are in defensive situations. So unless they are defensive studs, they are likely equal or worse than Stotts defensively.

However they do play in different leagues, on different teams. Stotts is the leading scorer on his team despite only putting up 52 points in 48 games. Hoelscher and Hillis are not despite putting up point totals in the high 50's and 60's. Ottawa and Guelph are two pretty high end teams who could go pretty far, whereas Calgary, for the most part, plays more like a bubble team that should be eliminated in round one or two of the WHL playoffs (if they even make it).

Personally, I think the Leafs just stick with Stotts. He's their guy. All of their Western Scouts, including the guy who is the Director of NA scouting now, liked him. I don't know what they expected out of him but this is pretty much what I expected. Give him a shot and let us see what we can get out of it.

Belanger is on my radar. Hoefenmayer is an AHL contract guy to me.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
We don't need to toss a second or third rounder at him. Goalies are so hit and miss that unless you're getting a Knight/Askarov level prospect you're better off waiting to pick goalies until the later rounds.
I would disagree with this. All prospects are hit and miss to various levels in the draft. So that's a faulty argument. Goalies might be voodoo, but I don't think that is a good reason to not take them in the second or third round. A good chunk of the starters, young upstart starters or goalies who are showing potential to be starters are drafted in the second and third round.

Carter Hart (2nd), John Gibson (2nd), Thatcher Demko (2nd), Matt Murray (3rd), Tristan Jarry (2nd), Elvis Merzlikins (3rd), Jonas Korpisalo (3rd), Jordan Binnington (3rd), Ben Bishop (3rd), Jacob Markstrom (2nd) Seems like taking them in the second and third might not be a bad idea. And yes, some of them might not work out, but that is true for any player you take in the second or third round. Brad Ross, Matt Finn, Sondre Olden, Kenny Ryan, Jesse Blacker, Rinat Valiev are all players who didn't make it.

The reason it APPEARS that goalies work out less is there is simply less roster spots for them. So a 2nd rounder that is playing on the 4th line is still not an amazing pick, but they had far more opportunity than a goalie will ever get simply based on position.

I don't think the idea that goalies are hit and miss so we shouldn't draft them until later rounds is a legit argument.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I would disagree with this. All prospects are hit and miss to various levels in the draft. So that's a faulty argument. Goalies might be voodoo, but I don't think that is a good reason to not take them in the second or third round. A good chunk of the starters, young upstart starters or goalies who are showing potential to be starters are drafted in the second and third round.

Carter Hart (2nd), John Gibson (2nd), Thatcher Demko (2nd), Matt Murray (3rd), Tristan Jarry (2nd), Elvis Merzlikins (3rd), Jonas Korpisalo (3rd), Jordan Binnington (3rd), Ben Bishop (3rd), Jacob Markstrom (2nd) Seems like taking them in the second and third might not be a bad idea. And yes, some of them might not work out, but that is true for any player you take in the second or third round. Brad Ross, Matt Finn, Sondre Olden, Kenny Ryan, Jesse Blacker, Rinat Valiev are all players who didn't make it.

The reason it APPEARS that goalies work out less is there is simply less roster spots for them. So a 2nd rounder that is playing on the 4th line is still not an amazing pick, but they had far more opportunity than a goalie will ever get simply based on position.

I don't think the idea that goalies are hit and miss so we shouldn't draft them until later rounds is a legit argument.

With a lot of other needs in our pool, a lack of clear high end 2nd round options available in the 2nd round this year, and no more 3rd round pick this year, I do not think a goalie should be on the list for a high pick this year. Unless Askarov somehow falls that far... He is arguably the only guy I would say is clearly worth a top 60 pick this year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

good defensive forwards always seem to get this "200ft" tag, but just like pure offense players their is an end they arent great in his case its offensive zone. PPG in the Q as a 19 year old (20 in april) does not scream 200ft impact player in the NHL.

Id gamble on this guy being a free agent invite.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
With a lot of other needs in our pool, a lack of clear high end 2nd round options available in the 2nd round this year, and no more 3rd round pick this year, I do not think a goalie should be on the list for a high pick this year. Unless Askarov somehow falls that far... He is arguably the only guy I would say is clearly worth a top 60 pick this year.

That is a fair statement. I'm fine with that decision and can get behind that (despite maybe not fully agreeing with it). I'm not fine with completely writing off a goalie just because of the reasoning in the post I was responding to.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That is a fair statement. I'm fine with that decision and can get behind that (despite maybe not fully agreeing with it). I'm not fine with completely writing off a goalie just because of the reasoning in the post I was responding to.

I get your point. Goalies can be taken everywhere, but I prefer to spend 3rd's and 4th's on them if I want a better option or later round picks if I just want a third goalie in the mix (which is what the Leafs should be looking at right now with 6 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds, even though there is not a strong crop this year). I feel like the quality of goalie you can get just outside of the top 40 or 45 vs. what you can typically find in the top 90 or 120 is not significantly different compared to the types of skaters you can get. There is typically a huge gap between a 2nd round skater and most 3rd and 4th round skaters.

It all depends on the draft though. This year, I feel like there is a very strong crop of probably ten 3rd and 4th round goalies with the odd one maybe sneaking into the bottom of the 2nd round (outside of Askarov of course) or dropping into the later rounds, but there are not too many guys that really look like great late round candidates vs. other years and not too much beyond Askarov that I would say are clear cut top 62 picks. I think I have like 13 legit prospects at this point, while typically 20-25 goalies get drafted every year. Teams probably like a few goalies that I do not think are worth taking, and some more may be added by the end of the year, but 13 is a pretty low number for goalies in most drafts.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pick up a bunch of mid to low 2020 picks for (Bracco, Goat, Timashov) and roll the dice again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad