Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hes actually pretty gritty. Hes no Simmonds/Lucic, but he gets his nose dirty. Kind of like Hyman

Hmmmm.....would definitely seem worth a risk then. Reason I assumed "not physical" was you would think with size and scoring ability, he'd get a sniff if physical too. Would be worth seeing if Barb could make him passable.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Sokolov is big and has way more polish offensively then Hyman. Egor reminds me of Mats Sundin but grittier and yes barb can work within him for 2 yrs in the ahl then say hello to a top 6 role and 100 million

He 6'4 and twice as wide as Lafreniere

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Sokolov is big and has way more polish offensively then Hyman. Egor reminds me of Mats Sundin but grittier and yes barb can work within him for 2 yrs in the ahl then say hello to a top 6 role and 100 million

His skill and physical presence alone should make him an attractive pick

And his skating isn't good, but he doesn't need it much. Hes a big time net front presence and in board battles

Reactions: Leaf Lander

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
That's the opposite of my mindset when looking at goalie stats. When a goalie has mediocre numbers on a terrible team, it often means they might actually have a lot of untapped potential (see: Matt Murray). When a goalie has good numbers on a good team, it could go either way. When a goalie has bad numbers on a great team, however, I can't imagine any case where that's worth a draft pick (purely stat watching).
I can also add that Nico Daws is an example of a late bloomer. Only played in 17 games last year and had a .893 Sv% and this year has a .932 sv% in 36 games.

Ya never know, Cranley could have a similar development in his D+1 season with increased workload.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Alex Cotton likely stakes the claim as the top D+1 player in this draft. Definitely a guy who could be a 2nd rounder and a potential WJC candidate for Canada this year. One of the best defensemen in the CHL this year and up there with a number of 1st rounders from last year.

Reactions: LeafChief

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

For those of us not familiar with the jargon: NHLe is a prediction of how many points a player would put up in the next season in the NHL based on their Juniors points pace based on historical data.

Guys on this chart have played more than 20 games so some of the outliers have been removed. There are also some prominent prospects that couldn't make the cut either. It's just an interesting assortment of talent to look at.

I'm also very interested in Pavel Gogolev: cool name, scores significantly more than his teammates, and is on a winning team in the middle of the pack goal-scoring-wise.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If the season gets cancelled. I wonder what happens to the draft? Reverse order weighted lottery?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the season gets cancelled. I wonder what happens to the draft? Reverse order weighted lottery?

It's not just the lottery, but the standings overall... would they go with points, or winning percentage?

For example, NYI have one less point than us, but have two games in hand, giving them a better winning percentage. So who would draft first of the two in that instance? There are a few like that in the standings.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

For those of us not familiar with the jargon: NHLe is a prediction of how many points a player would put up in the next season in the NHL based on their Juniors points pace based on historical data.

Guys on this chart have played more than 20 games so some of the outliers have been removed. There are also some prominent prospects that couldn't make the cut either. It's just an interesting assortment of talent to look at.

I'm also very interested in Pavel Gogolev: cool name, scores significantly more than his teammates, and is on a winning team in the middle of the pack goal-scoring-wise.

Just for reference, NHL teams do not necessarily use NHLe when they are making decisions. They use something a lot more sophisticated but equivalent.

Gogolev was SDA's teammate going back for years. Came over from Russia together, same junior team, both drafted to the Petes, but then Gogolev was traded (with picks) to Guelph for Merkley.

Also, a lot of the names on that list are not overly impressive. Would not be surprised if a good number of them go undrafted.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Um... maybe cool it a bit on Sokolov. Sundin but grittier? Not a chance in hell.

Could he end up like a guy like Maroon if his skating improves? Maybe. He's still a long shot at this point and I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Um... maybe cool it a bit on Sokolov. Sundin but grittier? Not a chance in hell.

Could he end up like a guy like Maroon if his skating improves? Maybe. He's still a long shot at this point and I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

I just remembered why I dont post in this thread.

Every f***ing pick and even undrafted overagers are going to be hall of fame All-stars

Ridiculous

Reactions: hotpaws

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Incorrect. Contrary to popular opinion, he doesn't just take short players.

A D+1 which Dubas also likes. Hey he's a natural center and 5th in league scoring with another year of eligibility.

From the Hockey News last summer on the best players not selected in the 2019 draft. They could do worse in the Stotts/Hollowell range and he is small but not a perimeter player.

Xavier Simoneau, C, 18 (Drummondville, QMJHL – No. 204 NA)
Simoneau, standing at a mere 5-foot-6, has the qualities you’d look for in a 6-foot-6 beast. He’s physical, annoying to play against and wins battles along the boards. Oh, and he had 57 points in 55 games with the Voltigeurs. The ninth pick in the 2017 QMJHL draft, Simoneau has everything but the high-end speed you’d hope for from a kid his size.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
We cant load up on all the 5'6 players because they will be playing in the nhl not the chl

Sokolov has a great shot a high hockey IQ

He was slower to develop because his skating was behind.

He is grittier then sundin ever was and sokolov lives to score goals

He has leader ship skills and is keeper. Seen him play 20 times this yr

I believe in this pick!
Yes He's a project but a good one

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We cant load up on all the 5'6 players because they will be playing in the nhl not the chl

Sokolov has a great shot a high hockey IQ

He was slower to develop because his skating was behind.

He is grittier then sundin ever was and sokolov lives to score goals

He has leader ship skills and is keeper. Seen him play 20 times this yr

I believe in this pick!
Yes He's a project but a good one
Of the 51 players to play for the Marlies this year, only 17 are under 6 feet and the smallest is 5'9". no 5'6" players to be seen here.

Like I said before. Solokov's ceiling is likely a guy like Maroon, and that's if he improves his skating. He's a guy you take a chance on with an AHL deal, not a draft pick.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Of the 51 players to play for the Marlies this year, only 17 are under 6 feet and the smallest is 5'9". no 5'6" players to be seen here.

Like I said before. Solokov's ceiling is likely a guy like Maroon, and that's if he improves his skating. He's a guy you take a chance on with an AHL deal, not a draft pick.

Sokolov is not as physical as Maroon either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad