Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've been trying to do some research on this draft, earlier than normal just in case.... For the top end talent, everything I'm looking at/reading seems to suggest its a good draft in that regard, but nothing special? And it seems very forward heavy other than Drysdale and maybe Barron. Is this accurate? Also how many of the guys listed as centres will be wingers? Is this a wing-filled top 10?

Thanks

Very wing filled top 10.

Lundell and Byfield are the only ones I would say are clear centers who are essential locks in the top 10. Stutzle may also be a center, but he's playing wing exclusively right now. Perfetti is not going to be a center any more than Marner. Raymond/Holtz have only ever played on the wing. There are some fringe top 10 candidates, like Rossi and Lapierre, who could also play center and may go higher as a result. There will be a few more centers later on too, like Zary, Sourdif, Foudy and Bourque.

It's not a great draft for high end defensemen in general. After Drysdale and Barron, there is Guhle, Sanderson, Schneider, Kleven, Hunt, Mukhamadullin, Poirier, Niemela, O'Rourke, Nikishin, Wallander, Andrae, Grans. TBH, I wouldn't draft most of these guys 1st round, but the good news is that if we suck bad enough, we will easily have a great crop to choose from with our 2nd round pick, where it makes sense to pick a lot more of these guys.

Guhle is my #3, as I think he's good enough to be in the teens somewhere and the best overall package out of the WHL this year.

I would say O'Rourke and Poirier would be solid candidates for picks in the 20's.

Hunt, Sanderson, Schneider are top 45 guys who will likely get snatched somewhere in the 30's or late 20's. Mukhamadullin, with a strong WJC, will likely be there too, as could Grans, Wallander and Andrae. Really depends on preference, need, and how they finish at the end of the year, especially in the WJC.

Klevin, Niemela, and Nikishin are more likely to fall outside of the top 45, but remain in the 2nd round, at this point in time... Kleven lacks the offensive upside and seems like more of a project pick. Niemela is a promising offensive defenseman but once again, is a bit too much of a project to go higher at this point. Nikishin was hurt for a month and a half, and played his first game since September 24th on November 12th. That hurt his stock, but a strong return and a potential WJCU20 bid will help him show that his injury should not halt his upward trajectory.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

horner

May 22, 2007
Very wing filled top 10.

Lundell and Byfield are the only ones I would say are clear centers who are essential locks in the top 10. Stutzle may also be a center, but he's playing wing exclusively right now. Perfetti is not going to be a center any more than Marner. Raymond/Holtz have only ever played on the wing. There are some fringe top 10 candidates, like Rossi and Lapierre, who could also play center and may go higher as a result. There will be a few more centers later on too, like Zary, Sourdif, Foudy and Bourque.

It's not a great draft for high end defensemen in general. After Drysdale and Barron, there is Guhle, Sanderson, Schneider, Kleven, Hunt, Mukhamadullin, Poirier, Niemela, O'Rourke, Nikishin, Wallander, Andrae, Grans. TBH, I wouldn't draft most of these guys 1st round, but the good news is that if we suck bad enough, we will easily have a great crop to choose from with our 2nd round pick, where it makes sense to pick a lot more of these guys.

Guhle is my #3, as I think he's good enough to be in the teens somewhere and the best overall package out of the WHL this year.

I would say O'Rourke and Poirier would be solid candidates for picks in the 20's.

Hunt, Sanderson, Schneider are top 45 guys who will likely get snatched somewhere in the 30's or late 20's. Mukhamadullin, with a strong WJC, will likely be there too, as could Grans, Wallander and Andrae. Really depends on preference, need, and how they finish at the end of the year, especially in the WJC.

Klevin, Niemela, and Nikishin are more likely to fall outside of the top 45, but remain in the 2nd round, at this point in time... Kleven lacks the offensive upside and seems like more of a project pick. Niemela is a promising offensive defenseman but once again, is a bit too much of a project to go higher at this point. Nikishin was hurt for a month and a half, and played his first game since September 24th on November 12th. That hurt his stock, but a strong return and a potential WJCU20 bid will help him show that his injury should not halt his upward trajectory.

Hendrix Lapierre c 6' 170
IST overall in the qmhl draft
U18 5gp 11p

Also plays a complete 200' game

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hendrix Lapierre c 6' 170
IST overall in the qmhl draft
U18 5gp 11p

Also plays a complete 200' game

Less than a PPQ and only 2 goals this year in the QMJHL though.

His Hlinka and two-way game is the only reason the guy is going as high as he is right now.

Really kind of disappointing. There are a lot of guys underachieving right now: Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti, Lapierre, Rochette, a lot of the defense, etc.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Jaromir Pytlik. Just wanted to put his name in here so I don't forget it. Like what I've read about him and now I just gotta watch more Soo games. Could be anywhere from a late 1st rounder to a early 3rd rounder. Being from the Greyhounds I'm sure Dubas is watching him a lot or got our scouts and has inside knowledge of him so might be someone to keep an eye on.

Josh Williams a D+1 player I like still too. Wanted us to take him with our 7th when he was still on the board and we traded it away so maybe this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This draft is pretty terrible for D-men. None you should even entertain reaching for top 3 at the moment.

horner

May 22, 2007
Askarov for me - he is that good to start in 2 yrs

Build from the goal out

Then rebuild the defence with the picks we get from
Barrie Muzzin Ceci
Trade johnson

Hope Pietrangelo reaches the market

We have the forwards in place
Would love to get an Josh Anderson type of player

It's alot to ask for but what needs to be done

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

1: Lafreniere
2: Byfield
3: Askarov
4: Raymond
5: Stuetzle
6: Perfetti
7: Holloway
8: Drysdale
9: Mercer
10: Gunler

Askarov is flying up the rankings and rightly so. What makes him more curious is that he's a right handed catching goalie.

Usually they don't fare well at the NHL level, or if so not for long. A few exceptions are Esposito, Fuhr, Barrasso. But right now they are almost non-existent.

Louis Domingue is probably the best righty right now but Steve Mason was pretty good for a few years.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Askarov is flying up the rankings and rightly so. What makes him more curious is that he's a right handed catching goalie.

Usually they don't fare well at the NHL level, or if so not for long. A few exceptions are Esposito, Fuhr, Barrasso. But right now they are almost non-existent.

Louis Domingue is probably the best righty right now but Steve Mason was pretty good for a few years.

You mean Hutch wasn't good? ;)

There were good ones in the past like Theodore, Hiller and Vokoun. There are just not many of those guys in general.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
You mean Hutch wasn't good? ;)

There were good ones in the past like Theodore, Hiller and Vokoun. There are just not many of those guys in general.
Hutch actually might be the 3rd best right now lol

Francouz has been good for Colorado and Domingue. The rest are mostly AHL guys.

Forgot about Vokoun being a righty but yea Theodore and Hiller had some big years too.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This draft is pretty terrible for D-men. None you should even entertain reaching for top 3 at the moment.

Maybe not top 3, but Drysdale is probably top 5 for me.

And if someone did decide to take him #3, I think it would be far less surprising than Dach at #3.

I am surprised Lundell is 13th. I have him at #3 right now, but could easily get passed up by someone like Stutzle or Drysdale. I really like the type of game Stutzle brings, and if people think he can be a center, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go #3.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maybe not top 3, but Drysdale is probably top 5 for me.

And if someone did decide to take him #3, I think it would be far less surprising than Dach at #3.

I am surprised Lundell is 13th. I have him at #3 right now, but could easily get passed up by someone like Stutzle or Drysdale. I really like the type of game Stutzle brings, and if people think he can be a center, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go #3.
I'd be skeptical of taking Drysdale that high. He's smart and a good skater, but for a D in the top 5, I would expect more in the way of high-end physical tools. He seems more top 4 or 3 D-man, than a clear franchise blue-liner.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd be skeptical of taking Drysdale that high. He's smart and a good skater, but for a D in the top 5, I would expect more in the way of high-end physical tools. He seems more top 4 or 3 D-man, than a clear franchise blue-liner.

I said the same thing about Makar, and I think there are fewer superior alternatives to Drysdale in this draft than there were for Makar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad