Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dubas will run the board in the 7th Round :laugh:

Do we have 4 or 5 ?

Some are conditional with ??? Beside them

He has three 6th's too. That's without trading Petan or Marincin, but most likely they will get picks in later years if any.

Most likely the Leafs are trading some of those picks out. They do need bodies, but varying the ages would help a bit.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't think gambling on Merkley is gambling on a low-IQ guy figuring it out. You are betting on a troubled kid to finally get it, and then rapidly makeup on lost time. Which is why I wouldn't have drafted him. I just don't really see him as an example of gambling on low-IQ. To be honest, the only position you can really gamble on lower IQ guys is very toolsy power-wingers, although, a lot of those guys naturally get over-drafted before the value kicks in. Guys like Chad Kilger and Virtanen. Useful bottom-6 guys, but absolutely lost at the top of the line-up because plays die on their stick. Evander Kane is by far the best example of this type of player who has gone on to find some level of success.

Power wingers (or anyone who can physically dominate against smaller competition) are a good example. Offensive defensemen are another good example. They can get away with their mistakes and taking more risks because the competition is not skilled enough to capitalize them as often. Really it goes for anyone, because you could have more skill than your peers, or be faster than your peers, but as soon as you get with the best of the best, you do not differentiate yourself as much. Your only chance is to have the IQ and desire to be able to develop, grow and adapt your game constantly, and to be able to recognize the few chances you have to make plays so you can capitalize on them. That IQ or vision (or whatever you care to call it) is something I believe you either have by the time you are drafted, or you don't.

Even guys like Virtanen or Kilger. Maybe they don't have the IQ to match their top 6 skills, so don't take them high up in the draft, but they still have the IQ to stick in a bottom 6. You still need to "think the game" at a certain level (i.e. know where to be and which plays to make), even if it is in those kinds of roles. Otherwise, they won't even be able to stick in a bottom 6 role, regardless of their skill level (just ask Yakupov or any number of the other top 10 busts throughout the years with immense skill). Even when they were drafted, they probably said that there were red flags for their IQ which would limit their ability to match their skill, but not so much so that they would never make the NHL... Otherwise they never would have made the NHL.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
He has three 6th's too. That's without trading Petan or Marincin, but most likely they will get picks in later years if any.

Most likely the Leafs are trading some of those picks out. They do need bodies, but varying the ages would help a bit.

Package them all together for a 3rd & a 4th lol

Reactions: Leaf Lander

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Package them all together for a 3rd & a 4th lol
No way. Just give all 7 late picks to Tommy Bergman and let him work his magic.

Would be awesome if we could turn Eric Fehr, Nolan Vesey, Fedor Gordeev and our 7th last year into 2 or 3 home run late picks.

I have a feeling there's a reason why Dubas was so intent on keeping as many 7ths this year specifically and I wonder if Bergman has a couple guys on his radar.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007

Most likely we will be ready Johnson or Kappy to sign Mikheyev.
Would love to keep all of our plays but the cap doesn't allow us to.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Its a deep draft and Dubas will probably use all of them on euros.

Reactions: Menzinger

horner

May 22, 2007
With our luck we'll end up with the 11th pick and have to turn it over to Carolina.
it's funny how in leaf land our gm always think we are better than what we are .

tom kurvers for a first Niedermayer

we have always made bad decisions

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Funny you mention his name because somehow and for some reason I found this video when I was bored waiting at the dentist office last week. Never really fell in love with a prospect from a highlight video but this one showed everything from hits, dangles/hands, goals, assists, speed/breakout, defensive stick, and even at the end showed some negative stuff to show he's not perfect and has some flaws to work on.

How great would this Darius Kasparaitis clone look in blue and white? Especially with the rest of the softies in this lineup

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
one of askarov?( i really want to draft the kid could be our vasy) byfield holtz/raymond drysdale/barron plus hopefully atleast 2 more top 40ish picks for muzzin and barrie Plus babcock fired

would still suck to hoop a season away but it would be a consolation prize

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
one of askarov?( i really want to draft the kid could be our vasy) byfield holtz/raymond drysdale/barron plus hopefully atleast 2 more top 40ish picks for muzzin and barrie Plus babcock fired

would still suck to hoop a season away but it would be a consolation prize
Yes now focus is on draft, if we get 1sts for muzzin and Barrie then askarov and defender from Erie would be awesome

horner

May 22, 2007
Right now we going to be drafting 8th overall
We are on pace for 82 pts

Wow never ever thought we would be here again

If we are going to suck let's really suck

Let's not give up this pick to Carolina

Let's draft the Russian goaltender

Rebuild the defence with the what we receive for
Muzzin minimum a 1st
Barrie minimum a 1st
Ceci ?
Trade Johnson 1st

We will have a goaltender ready when Anderson's contract is up
We will have alot of trade chips to get maybe a young defenceman to go with Morgan

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Right now we going to be drafting 8th overall
We are on pace for 82 pts

Wow never ever thought we would be here again

If we are going to suck let's really suck

Let's not give up this pick to Carolina

Let's draft the Russian goaltender

Rebuild the defence with the what we receive for
Muzzin minimum a 1st
Barrie minimum a 1st
Ceci ?
Trade Johnson 1st

We will have a goaltender ready when Anderson's contract is up
We will have alot of trade chips to get maybe a young defenceman to go with Morgan
Askarov will a top five pick, but I say we take Stutzle. Drysdale would really solidify our blue line pipeline though he’s farther out. Amirov and Gunler would be good sleepers. Just saying... imagine we miss and won the lottery :eek:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we have our pick..... A guy that I think would really fit a need is Justin Barron. 6'2" maybe 6'3" by the time he's done

Bob McKenzie -TSN - Sept. 16th: "At almost 6-foot-3 and with great mobility and smarts, the Halifax Moosehead defenceman plays a good all-around game. He’s not nearly as dynamic offensively, or high reward/high risk as Drysdale, but what’s not to like about a big, smart, mobile puck mover who can skate or pass the puck out of trouble and plays a solid defensive game as wel."

August 2019 – Justin Barron begins the year as one of the top defensemen available in the 2020 NHL Draft. He plays a strong two-way game. He is a minute-muncher on the backend that can do everything. He is a high-IQ player who always seems to make the right decision with the puck. Defensively strong, Barron rarely allows an attacker to beat him to the net, often times guiding the offensive player into the corner and keeping them outside. Offensively, Barron isn’t a player that is going to “wow” you with stick handling or exceptional offensive creativity but he makes the smart, safe play that leads to dangerous chances for his team. He has a good shot and makes crisp passes in all three zones. He is a good playmaker with the puck at the point and he can effectively run a power-play unit from the blueline. As one of three players eligible for the 2020 NHL Draft on the Canadian entry in the World Junior Summer Showcase, Barron primarily played with Bowen Byram. The pair was the most consistent for the Canadian squad and Barron established himself as a contender to make the World Junior team in December. – Tony Ferrari

He's ranked in the 12-14 range, so perhaps a reach if we have a 7-10 draft pick, so maybe trade down, or just pick the player that fits....

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If I were to put together very quick and amateur analysis of a top 10 ranking right now, it would probably be something like this:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Lundell/Drysdale
Lundell/Drysdale
Stutzle
Askarov
Raymond/Holtz
Raymond/Holtz
Barron
Holloway/Perfetti

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I were to put together very quick and amateur analysis of a top 10 ranking right now, it would probably be something like this:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Lundell/Drysdale
Lundell/Drysdale
Stutzle
Askarov
Raymond/Holtz
Raymond/Holtz
Barron
Holloway/Perfetti

Any reason Stutzle appears as a different font? Does he stand out that much? (just kidding of course)

Obviously if we end up sucking this year, and win a top three pick, we take BPA. Get Lafreniere/Byfield, you probably move a Marner or Nylander for defensive help, and thank your luck stars.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I've been trying to do some research on this draft, earlier than normal just in case.... For the top end talent, everything I'm looking at/reading seems to suggest its a good draft in that regard, but nothing special? And it seems very forward heavy other than Drysdale and maybe Barron. Is this accurate? Also how many of the guys listed as centres will be wingers? Is this a wing-filled top 10?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad