Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think Jake Ratzlaff would be a more realistic target than Barron.

6'3" RHD who's played just 3 games so far this year. Could slip into the mid-2nd round. Very young and very raw but could be great if developed properly.

As far as I know he wasn't taken in either the OHL or QMJHL drafts so ideally we could get a potential contender in the O to pick him up and deter him from the NCAA.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Jake Ratzlaff would be a more realistic target than Barron.

6'3" RHD who's played just 3 games so far this year. Could slip into the mid-2nd round. Very young and very raw but could be great if developed properly.

As far as I know he wasn't taken in either the OHL or QMJHL drafts so ideally we could get a potential contender in the O to pick him up and deter him from the NCAA.

He's listed by the Prince Albert Raiders in the WHL. That's when I first heard about him like 1.5 years ago. Never would have guessed he's that kind of quality.

He could easily slip to the 3rd round.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He's listed by the Prince Albert Raiders in the WHL. That's when I first heard about him like 1.5 years ago. Never would have guessed he's that kind of quality.

He could easily slip to the 3rd round.
Ah makes sense. Hopefully he decides to report there.

ISS has him ranked 30th overall right now but yea he should at least slip to our 2nd. If he slips to the 3rd we should definitely take a shot.

I admit that I haven't seen him a whole lot but he was impressive in the Hlinka U18's.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't love Barron man, just got a bad feeling about picking him, his game doesn't seem very high upside-ish

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd like to use one of our 6th or 7th round picks, on a friend of mine's kid. Nico Daws. 6'4"/6'5" G with Guelph Storm... he's been superb this year, after being given the starting position, and is at the Team Canada Camp. He's got the size, comes from a great family, and is a good kid. It would be a great story, for a local goalie to come good, and we've got 7 late round picks.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd like to use one of our 6th or 7th round picks, on a friend of mine's kid. Nico Daws. 6'4"/6'5" G with Guelph Storm... he's been superb this year, after being given the starting position, and is at the Team Canada Camp. He's got the size, comes from a great family, and is a good kid. It would be a great story, for a local goalie to come good, and we've got 7 late round picks.
He'll probably slip through the draft again.

D+1 goalies don't usually get picked unless they play ridiculously well and blow people away.

Dustin Wolf had one of the best seasons ever in the WHL last year and still went in the 7th round.

All that said I would definitely take a shot at adding him on an AHL deal this summer of we could. The Growlers will need a goalie and he can work his way up from there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

D+1 goalies don't usually get picked unless they play ridiculously well and blow people away.

Dustin Wolf had one of the best seasons ever in the WHL last year and still went in the 7th round.

All that said I would definitely take a shot at adding him on an AHL deal this summer of we could. The Growlers will need a goalie and he can work his way up from there.

Under regular circumstances, I'd completely agree with you. With seven picks in the last two rounds though....

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Daws is kind of doing that right now, so I think he'll interest someone in the mid-late rounds. I don't think he is a good fit for us though TBH. We have a 98' and a 99' goalie; I think it makes sense to invest in a guy with a development path outside of the AHL/ECHL for a little bit and is a little bit younger.

Dustin Wolf went late because he's the product of a frugal defensive system and is small. Teams know Everett and the way they do things inflates goalie numbers.

horner

May 22, 2007
Nikishin Russian defender 6'3" 200 lbs is who I want in the 2nd or late first if we start trading of ufa
our 2nd could be around 40

loves to hit and a big boy

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Nikishin Russian defender 6'3" 200 lbs is who I want in the 2nd or late first if we start trading of ufa
our 2nd could be around 40

loves to hit and a big boy

Nikishin is going to drop a bit, he may even drop to the late 2nd round. Injuries and a lack of international experience do not work in his favour, but man he could be a major steal with the CBJ pick or a trade down with our 2nd (if it is high).

horner

May 22, 2007
Nikishin is going to drop a bit, he may even drop to the late 2nd round. Injuries and a lack of international experience do not work in his favour, but man he could be a major steal with the CBJ pick or a trade down with our 2nd (if it is high).
that would be sweet , we have no one on defense like him .
I think he hits to hurt.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
that would be sweet , we have no one on defense like him .
I think he hits to hurt.

I don't think that is necessary, but if he brings everything else we need out of a defender on top of it, by all means it would be welcomed.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I actually wonder if this is Thommie’s swan song and that’s the point of all the late picks.
I do think they've had a few guys targeted in remote regions since last year even. Dubas seems adament at keeping at least 4 picks in the 7th round this year specifically.

Either that or he's giving himself as much of a chance as poasible to move up in this draft should some top talent slip into the middle rounds.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Screenshot_20191205-220322_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191205-220311_Maps.jpg

Not sure if people would find this interesting or not, but this is where every mid-late round pick we've made from Sweden is from outside of Dahlberg, Granberg, and Lindgren who were more north-east, going all the way back to Stralman in 2005 when Thommie Bergman came onto our staff.

He's from Munkfors which is just north of Orebro.

7 of 10 picks until Lindgren and Holmberg have played in the NHL including ALL 5 7th round picks in Stralman, Gunnersson, Loov, Johnsson, and Engvall.

This guy finds late round, NHL calibre talent in such a condensed area, it really is incredible.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
View attachment 287135
View attachment 287139
Not sure if people would find this interesting or not, but this is where every mid-late round pick we've made from Sweden is from outside of Dahlberg, Granberg, and Lindgren who were more north-east, going all the way back to Stralman in 2005 when Thommie Bergman came onto our staff.

He's from Munkfors which is just north of Orebro.

7 of 10 picks until Lindgren and Holmberg have played in the NHL including ALL 5 7th round picks in Stralman, Gunnersson, Loov, Johnsson, and Engvall.

This guy finds late round, NHL calibre talent in such a condensed area, it really is incredible.

23 of 28 SHL and Allsvenskan teams play in that area though if we can count the couple west of (B)Brynas on that map.That's about right percentage wise when you're using "outside of" 3 guys. Sweden, like a lot of northern countries is much more densely populated in the south.

Would be akin to saying that we've drafted a lot of our OHL guys from Southern Ontario. There aren't many teams in Northern Ontario. That would be more of a reason for it than 1 scout who's really good and lives in the area thus see more guys from that area.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
23 of 28 SHL and Allsvenskan teams play in that area though if we can count the couple west of (B)Brynas on that map.That's about right percentage wise when you're using "outside of" 3 guys. Sweden, like a lot of northern countries is much more densely populated in the south.

Would be akin to saying that we've drafted a lot of our OHL guys from Southern Ontario. There aren't many teams in Northern Ontario. That would be more of a reason for it than 1 scout who's really good and lives in the area thus see more guys from that area.
With too much time on my hands, I decided to illustrate this.
SHL: blue
Hockeyallsvenskan: red
shl.png

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad