Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I said the same thing about Makar, and I think there are fewer superior alternatives to Drysdale in this draft than there were for Makar.
Makar's skating blows Drysdale out of the water. He's closer in skill-set to someone like Sandin than Makar.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Makar's skating blows Drysdale out of the water. He's closer in skill-set to someone like Sandin than Makar.

You don't think there were a lot of people concerned about Makar's physical tools and how they would translate though? People knew he was a high end skater, high end puck mover, etc. but there were concerns about his size and ability to match up in the NHL. I think those same sort of physical issues exist for Drysdale.

Besides in regards to the superior alternatives, that is not solely based on Drysdale or Makar alone, but also those around them. I'm looking at the 2020 draft and of course Lafreniere and Byfield are the top 2, but after that I think Drysdale could be a serious candidate at #3. I look at the other guys after #2 and there is far more doubt in them being better options over Drysdale than there was for Mittlestadt and Pettersson over Makar in 2017. Like at this point I think Stutzle and Lundell enter that conversation for me as well. If you get over the goalie factor then maybe Askarov as well. Maybe Raymond since he does bring other elements to his game that mask the lack of production as a smaller winger. But you look at Holtz, Perfetti, etc. I am not sure they should be in that conversation right now.

So that leaves you 4 or 5 guys in consideration for those spots. Askarov probably has the most potential, but being a goalie, also has the most risk. Lundell and Stutzle play games which should allow them to be solid players in the NHL at the very worst, but I don't think they have the game changing ability that Drysdale has. Drysdale has the best risk-upside combination out of there, because I think he has #1 upside, but if he doesn't reach it, he still has enough there for him to have a long career as a high end top 2/4 guy... So really unless you are choosing on need or are willing to take the risk on Askarov, I don't think there are really any superior options to Drysdale out there right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You don't think there were a lot of people concerned about Makar's physical tools and how they would translate though? People knew he was a high end skater, high end puck mover, etc. but there were concerns about his size and ability to match up in the NHL. I think those same sort of physical issues exist for Drysdale.

Besides in regards to the superior alternatives, that is not solely based on Drysdale or Makar alone, but also those around them. I'm looking at the 2020 draft and of course Lafreniere and Byfield are the top 2, but after that I think Drysdale could be a serious candidate at #3. I look at the other guys after #2 and there is far more doubt in them being better options over Drysdale than there was for Mittlestadt and Pettersson over Makar in 2017. Like at this point I think Stutzle and Lundell enter that conversation for me as well. If you get over the goalie factor then maybe Askarov as well. Maybe Raymond since he does bring other elements to his game that mask the lack of production as a smaller winger. But you look at Holtz, Perfetti, etc. I am not sure they should be in that conversation right now.

So that leaves you 4 or 5 guys in consideration for those spots. Askarov probably has the most potential, but being a goalie, also has the most risk. Lundell and Stutzle play games which should allow them to be solid players in the NHL at the very worst, but I don't think they have the game changing ability that Drysdale has. Drysdale has the best risk-upside combination out of there, because I think he has #1 upside, but if he doesn't reach it, he still has enough there for him to have a long career as a high end top 2/4 guy... So really unless you are choosing on need or are willing to take the risk on Askarov, I don't think there are really any superior options to Drysdale out there right now.
The questions with Makar were primarily level of competition based. He was a stocky 5'11. At the combine, he was 5'11, 187. Drysdale is built more like Quinn Hughes with his current listed weight being 165.

Mittelstadt had serious questions about the level of comp. His stock didn't blow up until the WJC the next year. I'd take Perfetti over Drysdale in a vacuum.

We just see Drysdale different. I think the chances he becomes an all-situations franchise number 1 d is significantly lower than you do.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The questions with Makar were primarily level of competition based. He was a stocky 5'11. At the combine, he was 5'11, 187. Drysdale is built more like Quinn Hughes with his current listed weight being 165.

Mittelstadt had serious questions about the level of comp. His stock didn't blow up until the WJC the next year. I'd take Perfetti over Drysdale in a vacuum.

We just see Drysdale different. I think the chances he becomes an all-situations franchise number 1 d is significantly lower than you do.

I guess so. Saying he's more likely a #3/#4 than #1 is seriously underrating his abilities, and I do not even know why Perfetti would be in the same conversation. I understand the hype from last year, and he has still followed up with a quality season, but he's not exactly playing nor producing like a top 10 offensive talent this year. I'm not even sure he will be taken in the top 10 anymore...

Drysdale is already one of the top OHL defensemen, if not going to challenge to be the absolute best, at 17 years old and I believe he has a good shot at making the NHL next year. Maybe I am wrong, but I think saying he's more likely a #3/#4 than a #1 going forward is seriously underrating his upside and abilities.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess so. Saying he's more likely a #3/#4 than #1 is seriously underrating his abilities, and I do not even know why Perfetti would be in the same conversation. I understand the hype from last year, and he has still followed up with a quality season, but he's not exactly playing nor producing like a top 10 offensive talent this year. I'm not even sure he will be taken in the top 10 anymore...

Drysdale is already one of the top OHL defensemen, if not going to challenge to be the absolute best, at 17 years old and I believe he has a good shot at making the NHL next year. Maybe I am wrong, but I think saying he's more likely a #3/#4 than a #1 going forward is seriously underrating his upside and abilities.
I don't see him having the tools to be the workhorse all-situations #1 that the league demands. Perfetti is still producing well on a weaker team, and was the best player at Hlinka. I'd be surprised if he's in the show next year given his physical profile. He's good, but I don't see him being the all-situations D you aim to get in the top 5.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Askarov is flying up the rankings and rightly so. What makes him more curious is that he's a right handed catching goalie.

Usually they don't fare well at the NHL level, or if so not for long. A few exceptions are Esposito, Fuhr, Barrasso. But right now they are almost non-existent.

Louis Domingue is probably the best righty right now but Steve Mason was pretty good for a few years.
Wrong, the best is Hutchinson

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Wouldn't be opposed to trading Johnsson for a mid first and signing Mikheyev.

We need to get some center prospects in the system IMO.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wouldn't be opposed to trading Johnsson for a mid first and signing Mikheyev.

We need to get some center prospects in the system IMO.

We won't get that much in return. We may get a late 1st or a couple of early-mid 2nd's, which is still going to be a solid prospect. TBH after the lottery picks and maybe the bottom playoff teams, I don't think there is a huge gap in quality until like the 40's anyways. So it would be a good idea to trade down or get two top 40 picks than a pick around 25 (which is the best we could expect for Johnsson).

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Askarov seems amazing! How low do you think he will fall? Will a bottom 5 team risk and take him? (with the goalie success rate?). Where would you pick him? :)

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
That elite prospects photo looks like a 12 year old.. I think we need to push for him just for the name
He sure grew!!!
William Wallinder at eliteprospects.com
williamwallinder_2018-11-04.jpg

• Position
    D
  • Height
    193 cm / 6'4"
  • Weight
    87 kg / 192 lbs

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hoping Barron somehow drops to our pick. His skating is insane and he has great offensive instincts despite the lack of points. Good defensive game as well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hoping Barron somehow drops to our pick. His skating is insane and he has great offensive instincts despite the lack of points. Good defensive game as well.

Unless it's top 10 we don't have our first. No way Barron drops to the 2nd round.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Justin Barron? I see him pretty regularly in the 10-15 range.
Unless it's top 10 we don't have our first. No way Barron drops to the 2nd round.
He's a B grade for me. I don't expect him to finish in my top 20, which means I'll likely get someone in my top 20 to 23 if I was theoretically picking 31st.

Its not out of the realm of possibilities he ends up a 2nd rounder. I mean, just look at his teammate McIssac and how he was viewed entering his draft year and around this time in his draft year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
In terms of quality, there is a good chance Barron is the 2nd best defenseman after Drysdale. That is not exactly to say that Barron is an amazing defenseman as much as to say the alternatives (Sanderson, Schneider, etc.) are just even less amazing, but he could go a lot higher just because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->