Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
To use EA Sports potential, this is how I see the potential fallers.

Jesper Wallstedt = Med Elite
Kent Johnson = Med Elite
Fabian Lysell = High Top 6
Chaz Lucius = Mid Top 6

So if Wallstedt is the only one on the board, I'm taking him.

If Wallstedt + Johnson are on the board, I'm taking Johnson.

If Wallstedt + Lysell are on the board, I could go either way.

If Wallstedt + Lucius are on the board, I'd lean towards Wallstedt but still open to having the conversation for Lucius.
Any conversation regarding Lucius must include his skating and the lack of straight line speed. Does that preclude him from playing center in the NHL? His turns are good and he generates acceleration coming out of those turns but stops and starts are are big problem.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Any conversation regarding Lucius must include his skating and the lack of straight line speed. Does that preclude him from playing center in the NHL? His turns are good and he generates acceleration coming out of those turns but stops and starts are are big problem.
He lacks explosiveness but I think that's easy to fix. He's still an above average skater, just not in the elite category.

I don't see why he can't be a 2C at the NHL level. He'll be in college for a couple years though.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
He lacks explosiveness but I think that's easy to fix. He's still an above average skater, just not in the elite category.

I don't see why he can't be a 2C at the NHL level. He'll be in college for a couple years though.

I think Lucius skating concerns are fixable with some time in the weight room. (Which is why college will be good for him)

I think he’s a one and done college guy though, his shot is NHL ready.

He’d make a really really good 2C.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Lucius skating concerns are fixable with some time in the weight room. (Which is why college will be good for him)

I think he’s a one and done college guy though, his shot is NHL ready.

He’d make a really really good 2C.
Yeah you're probably right about him being a one and done

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Hawks fans (and the team) have first hand knowledge of the results of acquiring a center with skating issues in todays' NHL.

The fact Musto doesn't have an issue with doing so is completely on-brand

Reactions: Larmer83

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hawks fans (and the team) have first hand knowledge of the results of acquiring a center with skating issues in todays' NHL.

The fact Musto doesn't have an issue with doing so is completely on-brand
Lucius is a better skater than Strome.

People see prospects that don't skate like MacKinnon and then assume they're bad skaters.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Lucius is a better skater than Strome.

People see prospects that don't skate like MacKinnon and then assume they're bad skaters.
Really? Since I questioned his ability to play center based on his lack of speed I guess I'm one of these "people"? These same questions have included McTavish and Sillinger as well.

There is a fairly long line of "people" that question his skating or see it as a weakness. Not just message board people. All you have to do is watch tape to see he lacks speed.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Chaz Lucius's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - : "A dynamic shot that can be used in transition, from a standstill and expert timing around the net make him a serious threat."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "Lucius has one of the hardest shots of this draft class, but the 17-year-old has been unable to show it this season because of a lower-body injury."

Craig Button - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Magic hands to score. Excellent in tight areas and spaces, Lucius scores in multiple ways. Smart offensive player who takes advantage when he gets a chance."

Bob McKenzie - TSN - Dec. 15th: "He hasn’t played this season but that’s not pandemic related. He reportedly is back skating now but has been hampered by a lingering knee issue that scouts want to see resolved."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "Currently injured, he is on this list for his body of work with the US U-17 team from last season where he put up 31 goals to go along with a 10-point U17 Challenge tournament."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He has a good shot, but Lucius gets a lot of goals because of how skilled and competitive he is. He scores a ton of goals from the slot and net-front area, and despite not being overly physical, shows no fear in getting to the hard spots of the ice."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Maybe the most gifted finisher in this draft, Lucius is a threat to score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone at 5-on-5 and a dynamic power play weapon who blends a piercingly-accurate shot with a unique ability to beat defenders with fakes and deception."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "Lucius is an intelligent player in all three zones but his offensive IQ is through the roof. The puck seemingly follows him around the ice. His shot is upper-echelon for this draft class and he’s no slouch as a playmaker either."

Reactions: plasmonresonance

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Chaz Lucius's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - : "A dynamic shot that can be used in transition, from a standstill and expert timing around the net make him a serious threat."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "Lucius has one of the hardest shots of this draft class, but the 17-year-old has been unable to show it this season because of a lower-body injury."

Craig Button - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Magic hands to score. Excellent in tight areas and spaces, Lucius scores in multiple ways. Smart offensive player who takes advantage when he gets a chance."

Bob McKenzie - TSN - Dec. 15th: "He hasn’t played this season but that’s not pandemic related. He reportedly is back skating now but has been hampered by a lingering knee issue that scouts want to see resolved."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "Currently injured, he is on this list for his body of work with the US U-17 team from last season where he put up 31 goals to go along with a 10-point U17 Challenge tournament."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He has a good shot, but Lucius gets a lot of goals because of how skilled and competitive he is. He scores a ton of goals from the slot and net-front area, and despite not being overly physical, shows no fear in getting to the hard spots of the ice."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Maybe the most gifted finisher in this draft, Lucius is a threat to score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone at 5-on-5 and a dynamic power play weapon who blends a piercingly-accurate shot with a unique ability to beat defenders with fakes and deception."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "Lucius is an intelligent player in all three zones but his offensive IQ is through the roof. The puck seemingly follows him around the ice. His shot is upper-echelon for this draft class and he’s no slouch as a playmaker either."

Those are snapshots of analysts' opinions of him, by no means the complete assessment of his game.

Dobber, Pronman, The Draft Analyst all say his skating is in need of work.

Reactions: Larmer83

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Yes ....looking good for 11th...Just get 1 win in 2 games ...only asking 50%win rate...Make it so....Go Flames Go!

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Vancouver doesn't want to win one of those games either. They currently sit at 48 pts with Det in 6/7 draft spot. A win by them would give them 50 pts and drop them behind San Jose and LA into the 9th spot.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
At this point I just don't see why you would draft a guy who's skating is even close to being in question.

I wouldn’t consider a single prospect in the first three rounds who needs to improve their skating in any capacity.

4th and beyond, whatever.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
At this point I just don't see why you would draft a guy who's skating is even close to being in question.

I wouldn’t consider a single prospect in the first three rounds who needs to improve their skating in any capacity.

Yep. League just keeps getting faster. You can count the number of guys who aren't great skaters on the top 10 teams, on like, one hand.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
LUCIUS rimarily a goal scorer....13g 7a in 13GP...

38% shooting %...kind of unrealusticto expect that consistently in the NHL ...

Concerned about t level...imopact as sniper but not a line driver?

NOT PHYSICAL..but counters this with anticipation,hockey IQ and work effort.

Lack of top line speed.

So mixed bag...sonecthibgs to lije about hom...otherr things missing.

Do not know if he is goodd at faceoffs or not...an ability you would want on a center..

If choice between hom and McTavish it could come down to things like ability on draws and physical play.

Both are probably 2C ceilings...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If CGY with just 1 more win or 2OTLs from their final 2 games leapfrog tge Hawks and thenat #11 it shoukd turn out that All of Walkstedt,McTavish and Lucius are tgere at that spot:

1.Would Hawks take tge gialue over either if the 2 Centers?

2. I believe CGY at #12 would jump in elation to take Wallstedt..so can we extract a steep enough price to make us move down 1 spit?

3 Is there any other team in the neighborhood who woukd oay tge price to move up and prevent CGY from getting Wallstedt first?

This speculation is moot if Walhstedtvoff the board as a top ten.

Thus also assumes neither Hawks nor CGY wins a lotto.

It woukd be hilarious if both Chicago and CGY win the 2 lotto draws to get tge #1 or #2 overall.

But realistically assuming no lotto win for either,their s a chance that the Hawks may face a Walkstedt decision at #11...tKe hom or move down for 1 of McTavish or Lucius or maybe even Sillinger if we move down as far as #14...

But if CGY wants a goalie they might be happy taking Cossa if Wallstedt not there at #12.so I that case VHU might not want to paus the price to movevup 2 spit.

But PHI at #13 will not take a goalie ...other needs a priority.

Neither would MTL take a goalie at #14 .....you would think.

So not sure how far goalies woukd fall depending on team's pipelines for depth in goal..

No goalie will provide immediate help for several years ...so you take on the basis of BOA talent and for pipeline depth and for cheaper future options in net.

Anyway. At #11Hawks may be facing tgecdilemma of potential franchise goalie vs centers who have both good qualities and some areas of concern and in any case may project only with 2C ceilings.

Given that,Wallstedt or even Cossa project as 1G elite goaltender talent.

So in my opinion CGY might be the only team in the neighborhood of teams drafting soon after is if we are at #12) willing to movevup to getca goalie and pay a hefty price...but even there they might not want to do it either to call our bluff(in case we wan a position player and they get their goalie anyway....or they then grab Cissa :and are satisfied with tgat anyway.

So maybe Hawks cannot extract a price to movedown from #11 .
Though maybe do it for sone multi-asset exchange
deal with some team who desperately wants to get Wallstedt.

Some speculation thatif Seabrook waives his NMC maybecSeattle takes the contract...Hawks give them tge #11,they take Wallltedt,Hawks get back their 2ndcounder this year..but Hawks full use of the Seabrook cap savings...and we sign Dougie Hamilton fir inmeduate impact to our dcorps?

But that move goes agaivst z re-build loger term plan ti just add tge best talent in succeeding drafts.

It destroy our chances for a shot at Shane Wright in the 22022 draft.

So I doubt this change in direction fix by adding more proven vets now idea gets done.

Lots for Stan to think Bout.

Including if he just takes Wallstedt anyway ,dod he taketh right goalie...since Cossa might actually be better .. nobody can know for certain with goalies even if consensus is tgesex2chave very ekite ceilings.

Last edited:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

You wouldn't draft McTavish in the third round?

Sometimes it can pay of like with Brayden Point for example, but your scouts and development team really needs to be on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad