Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I'm not terribly impressed with the this year's Top 20......if you trust your scouting, this might be the year to trade down.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm not terribly impressed with the this year's Top 20......if you trust your scouting, this might be the year to trade down.
If we get that 11th pick, we'll get one of the top 10 fallers, who will be a good prospect.

If we stay at 13 and nobody falls, then yeah trading down would be ideal, but why would anyone want to move up?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's fine if they are, but Wallstedt is better than both of them. He's a franchise goalie.

At the very least his trade value will be far higher than whoever you get if you trade down into the 20s.

This is exactly what I think. Not taking him because you drafted a guy in the second last year doesn’t make much sense to me, assuming he’s BPA at the time.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's fine if they are, but Wallstedt is better than both of them. He's a franchise goalie.

At the very least his trade value will be far higher than whoever you get if you trade down into the 20s.

Recent history would tell you the opposite. Goalie trades hardly ever happen because it's next to impossible to get good value for them. There are too many good goalies available...even guys like Subban and Delia (once he stopped losing his net all the time) with absolutely zero trade value are easily good enough to win games in the NHL. Of course that could change with the expansions but how many goalies did get traded for a 1st round pick or a piece of similar value in recent years?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Recent history would tell you the opposite. Goalie trades hardly ever happen because it's next to impossible to get good value for them. There are too many good goalies available...even guys like Subban and Delia (once he stopped losing his net all the time) with absolutely zero trade value are easily good enough to win games in the NHL. Of course that could change with the expansions but how many goalies did get traded for a 1st round pick or a piece of similar value in recent years?
The goalies that can fetch 1st round picks don't get traded...because they're elite...and you don't trade elite goalies. Much like 1D never get traded.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The goalies that can fetch 1st round picks don't get traded...because they're elite...and you don't trade elite goalies. Much like 1D never get traded.

...and when they do get traded, teams tend to get nothing for them. Just think of Luongo or Rask.

Drafting Wallstedt just to trade him or other goalies wouldn't be the greatest asset management. There's just almost 0 market for goalies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
...and when they do get traded, teams tend to get nothing for them. Just think of Luongo or Rask.

Drafting Wallstedt just to trade him or other goalies wouldn't be the greatest asset management. There's just almost 0 market for goalies.
I wouldn't trade Wallstedt if I drafted him. He's a franchise goalie.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It’s such goofiness to me that people are saying “take the best forward” over taking a potential franchise goalie. What if that best forward has a second line ceiling, is that really the better pick?
To use EA Sports potential, this is how I see the potential fallers.

Jesper Wallstedt = Med Elite
Kent Johnson = Med Elite
Fabian Lysell = High Top 6
Chaz Lucius = Mid Top 6

So if Wallstedt is the only one on the board, I'm taking him.

If Wallstedt + Johnson are on the board, I'm taking Johnson.

If Wallstedt + Lysell are on the board, I could go either way.

If Wallstedt + Lucius are on the board, I'd lean towards Wallstedt but still open to having the conversation for Lucius.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Kent Johnson = Med Elite
Chaz Lucius = Mid Top 6

If Wallstedt + Lucius are on the board, I'd lean towards Wallstedt but still open to having the conversation for Lucius.
I think this all makes sense, a hell of a lot more sense than the blanket “best skater available” lines

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Kent Johnson = Med Elite
Chaz Lucius = Mid Top 6

What would you give Dach?
Are you with the game default of high T6 or would you go Med Elite

IMO if Cozens and Zegras are Med Elite in the game, Dach should be too.

In real life, I could take arguments for both for all 3 guys.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What would you give Dach?
Are you with the game default of high T6 or would you go Med Elite

IMO if Cozens and Zegras are Med Elite in the game, Dach should be too.

In real life, I could take arguments for both for all 3 guys.

EA is so dumb sometimes. I always change Dach to med elite before I start (or restart for the three dozenth time) a franchise.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
EA is so dumb sometimes. I always change Dach to med elite before I start (or restart for the three dozenth time) a franchise.
Yeah, me too.
EA also needs to be more liberal with franchise players at a younger age. They tend to only give them out when a player has truly earned it.
Then, they keep guys at that level even when they don't deserve to be anymore(Kopitar/Doughty)

Then, they have guys like Raty who shouldn't be elite prospects rated as such.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It’s such goofiness to me that people are saying “take the best forward” over taking a potential franchise goalie. What if that best forward has a second line ceiling, is that really the better pick?

A top6 forward is mostly gonna net a 1st round pick plus additional assets while getting the same for a goaltender is next to impossible these days. Even the best ones didn't net that so many teams stopped trading their goalies.. if they can't sign them they just let them play out their contract. On the same team in the same situation, a top6 forward is always gonna get traded if the team isn't a contender because of the boat load coming back.

While I agree to always take bpa, I think goaltenders are the exception because the trade option is difficult to none existent. You should only draft a goalie in the early rounds if you really need one. If you don't, you may create a logjam and eventually you end up having to basically give away good goalies for cheap which then wouldn't be ideal asset management.

This is why goalies tend to go late in drafts and why only teams with a real need tend to draft one early. Do the Blackhawks need a goalie right now? I don't think so. So if they're confident to hit on a true top4 defender or top6 forward instead, I'd do that.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if Wallstedt falls out of the top10. This is considered to be a weak draft and though I don't really agree, some team is gonna be desperate enough to take an elite goalie early, possibly even inside the top5.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yeah, me too.
EA also needs to be more liberal with franchise players at a younger age. They tend to only give them out when a player has truly earned it.
Then, they keep guys at that level even when they don't deserve to be anymore(Kopitar/Doughty)

Then, they have guys like Raty who shouldn't be elite prospects rated as such.
It gets worse when it comes to college and KHL players. Since they join the game at like 23-26 they basically do not develop. Sorokin is a good example last I saw he hits starter-exact in like a single season in franchise mode when 30 is when most goalies peak

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003

Kent Johnson = Med Elite
Chaz Lucius = Mid Top 6

you take Franchise players over mid elite players. Take Wallstedt

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Vancouver if they get 3/6points up for grabs in the 3GR vs. CGY WOULD DROP THEM 1 DRAFT SLOT as tgey woukd then overtake Columbus(who have finished 56 games)...

Thus you would think Van does not want to do that ...

CGY overtakes the Hawks with 4 points of 6 possible remaining (tied in points then but CGY gets tie-breaker with more wins in this case).

While you would think CGY also would not want to drop2 spots later than their current position(they also would vault past Arizona),they want to finish the year on a good streak and some players show the coaches they want jobs next season.

So considering everything,I think greater incentive for CGY to try to win tgse games remaining woth Vancouver.

From a Hawks point of view,drafting 11th would be better than 12th (if we are unlucky in the lottery and stay with our slot instead of moving to #1or#2)...

So Hawks fans are going to cheer for Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad