Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Who is a skating issue player Stan & Kelley ever drafted in the 1st. There was, not elite skaters who might of gone higher had they been so guys, but I can't think of anyone who really had an issue they drafted. Maybe McNeil their first pick alone fits that bill. It seems a consideration already taken

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Who is a skating issue player Stan & Kelley ever drafted in the 1st. There was, not elite skaters who might of gone higher had they been so guys, but I can't think of anyone who really had an issue they drafted. Maybe McNeil their first pick alone fits that bill. It seems a consideration already taken

McNeil wasn't a bad skater he was just a vanilla player. Didn't have any real flaws but didn't do anything particularly well.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Hartman?

His problem was that he couldn’t stay on his skates. I remember a preseason game at the UC where he fell 4-5 times without being touched.

He’s actually made a decent player of himself.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
DeBrincat and Dach both had skating issues in their draft years according to the nerds over at HF Prospects. They made Dach sound like he was that loser who currently wears #17 here.

I have my preferred guys for this draft, but I'm sure I'll find a way to be okay with any of the players we might pick at 11/12 (err... 1/2). I've quickly taken a liking to Reichel's game, so the scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt. If they pick someone who isn't the most fleet of foot, I'll know that they picked them because of other aspects to their game and hope they can improve their skating over time.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
DeBrincat and Dach both had skating issues in their draft years according to the nerds over at HF Prospects. They made Dach sound like he was that loser who currently wears #17 here.

I have my preferred guys for this draft, but I'm sure I'll find a way to be okay with any of the players we might pick at 11/12 (err... 1/2). I've quickly taken a liking to Reichel's game, so the scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt. If they pick someone who isn't the most fleet of foot, I'll know that they picked them because of other aspects to their game and hope they can improve their skating over time.
DeBrincat for sure it was considered a knock.

Kirby is weird though because you could find so many instances of him torching guys in his draft year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
For full context, DeBrincat's skating was considered good in his draft year. The scouts were concerned that, considering his size, his skating wasn't as good as they would have liked. They thought he'd have issues getting separation/space in the NHL at his size without noteworthy speed.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
DeBrincat for sure it was considered a knock.

Kirby is weird though because you could find so many instances of him torching guys in his draft year.

Watching clips from his time in the WHL, yeah, Kirby was just fine skating wise. But the prospect nerds kept making him sound like he skated in quick sand; a big reason many here hated the pick at the time, because he sounded like Strome (who was also a former 3rd overall pick).

For full context, DeBrincat's skating was considered good in his draft year. The scouts were concerned that, considering his size, his skating wasn't as good as they would have liked. They thought he'd have issues getting separation/space in the NHL at his size without noteworthy speed.
Very true. Cat's skating was at least NHL average in 2016, but that was considered slow by scouts who felt you needed to skate like Johnny Hockey if you were going to be that size. Turns out, he handles just fine (though he did become an even better skater throughout the last few seasons).

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Clendening was a 2nd, and his skating was awful. Looked like he was skating in quicksand. Also traded a 2nd for Rundblad, who was slow af. Same thing with the guy we traded Leddy for (can’t remember his name).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Clendening was a 2nd, and his skating was awful. Looked like he was skating in quicksand. Also traded a 2nd for Rundblad, who was slow af. Same thing with the guy we traded Leddy for (can’t remember his name).

Pokka, who was the main piece for us I believe. Never played a single NHL game period. We also got Nilsson and TJ Brennan who both never played a single NHL game for us.

Hell of a trade.

Reactions: hawksrule

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dano (along with AA) was a big piece we got back in the first Saad trade. Another awful skater.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That's the thing with drafting 17-year-olds and 18-year-olds. You see someone who has a lot to like about their game, but maybe their first 3 steps are suspect or maybe it's their top gear or maybe their mechanics. Theses are things everyone hopes/thinks they can fix. I wonder how much of an impact it makes. It feels like it makes a much bigger impact now than it did, even 5-6 years ago. The McDavid's, MacKinnon's and Barzal's of the world up front. The Makar's and Heiskenen's on the back end. Feels like skating is becoming the paramount skill.

Reactions: hawksrule

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Best case scenario

Flames move ahead of by seasons end(lol)
Vegas and Florida lose out in either the first or second round...

Round one we sit with 12th pick(11th overall with Arizona forfeiting) win the lottery pick 1st overall
Round two we pick 44th and 66th via Vegas
Round four we pick 101st via Vancouver and 108th
Round six we pick 172nd
Round seven we pick 204th and 215th via Florida

So 1, 44, 66, 101, 108, 172, 204 and 215

Realistically 12, 44, 66, 101, 108, 172, 204 and 215

12th overall is surprisingly the third highest pick Stan Bowman will have been able to work with...Kirby Dach at 3, Adam Boqvist at 8, Lukas Reichek at 17, Teuvo Teravainen and Mark McNeill at 18...so it's exciting to think we'll be adding to the stable of young talent

11th best player in the the draft will be ours!

History of 11th overall picks during Bowmans' era

2020 Yaroslav Askarov, G, Nashville
2019 Victor Soderstrom, D, Arizona
2018 Oliver Wahlstrom, F, NYIslanders
2017 Gabriel Vilardi, F, Los Angeles
2016 Logan Brown, F, Ottawa
2015 Lawson Crouse, F, Florida
2014 Kevin Fiala, F, Nashville
2013 Samuel Morin, D, Philadelphia
2012 Filip Forsberg, F, Washington
2011 Duncan Siemens, D, Colorado
2010 Jack Campbell, G, Dallas

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020

Alex DeBrincat
Teuvo Teravainen
Brandon Saad
Kevin Hayes
Phillip Danault
Nick Schmaltz
Kirby Dach
Ryan Hartman
Tyler Motte
Andrew Shaw
Vince Hinostroza
Philipp Kurashev
Joakim Nordstrom
John Hayden
Dylan Sikura

Adam Boqvist
Justin Holl
Henri Jokiharju
Ian Mitchell
Stephen Johns
Nicolas Beaudin
Dennis Gilbert
Lucas Carlsson
Carl Dahlstrom

Matt Tomkins
Ivan Nalimov

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Alex DeBrincat
Teuvo Teravainen
Brandon Saad
Kevin Hayes
Phillip Danault
Nick Schmaltz
Kirby Dach
Ryan Hartman
Tyler Motte
Andrew Shaw
Vince Hinostroza
Philipp Kurashev
Joakim Nordstrom
John Hayden
Dylan Sikura

Adam Boqvist
Justin Holl
Henri Jokiharju
Ian Mitchell
Stephen Johns
Nicolas Beaudin
Dennis Gilbert
Lucas Carlsson
Carl Dahlstrom

Matt Tomkins
Ivan Nalimov
Are you insinuating all these players had skating issues? lol

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Updated

Lambos
Svozil
Cossa

From what I just heard the Hawks aren't even looking at forwards in the first round

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Updated

Lambos
Svozil
Cossa

From what I just heard the Hawks aren't even looking at forwards in the first round

The voices in your head tell you that?

If you’re gonna make stuff up, you should probably make sure it’s at least slightly believable.

The hawks don’t even know what slot their picking in yet, but yes, they’ve already completely ruled out drafting a forward.

Definitely sounds reasonable.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Alex DeBrincat
Teuvo Teravainen
Brandon Saad
Kevin Hayes
Phillip Danault
Nick Schmaltz
Kirby Dach
Ryan Hartman
Tyler Motte
Andrew Shaw
Vince Hinostroza
Philipp Kurashev
Joakim Nordstrom
John Hayden
Dylan Sikura

Adam Boqvist
Justin Holl
Henri Jokiharju
Ian Mitchell
Stephen Johns
Nicolas Beaudin
Dennis Gilbert
Lucas Carlsson
Carl Dahlstrom

Matt Tomkins
Ivan Nalimov
showing the disparity between the forwards compared to the defenseman and goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad