Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I hope this doesn't hurt the Smith signing. Sudden things like this look bad.
Or it can be a sign they want to move forward and not wanting to stay in the basement.

Quinn was fired after a season everyone and there mothers knew was coming. Was being this bad the wanted outcome? Probably not exactly, but nobody was expected Hertl to miss time, Couture to miss the entire season, Granlund to miss time, Benning to miss basically the entire season and last nobody expected Hertl to be traded.

As much as some don't like Quinn, i would say he actually did pretty good for just how bad this roster truely was.

Reactions: Jargon

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Quinn got released because GMMG has a much faster rebuild plan. No way does GMMG plan on tanking again, else he would have kept Quinn. He wants the team to be competitive next year by signing 3-year contracts to aging vets, 1-year prove it contracts to possible busts, and but no cap dumps. For sure we will sign a physical defensemen.

I don't think it is Quinn's call, but it would have been better to have more rotating call-ups from the Barracuda and let the vets rotate to the bench. Why play Hoffman, Bailey, Barabonov, McDonald, Addison, Vlasic, etc until the bitter end? It is pretty much understood what kind of players they are, so what's the point.

Reactions: Jargon and rekrul

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Quinn got released because GMMG has a much faster rebuild plan. No way does GMMG plan on tanking again, else he would have kept Quinn. He wants the team to be competitive next year by signing 3-year contracts to aging vets, 1-year prove it contracts to possible busts, and but no cap dumps. For sure we will sign a physical defensemen.

I don't think it is Quinn's call, but it would have been better to have more rotating call-ups from the Barracuda and let the vets rotate to the bench. Why play Hoffman, Bailey, Barabonov, McDonald, Addison, Vlasic, etc until the bitter end? It is pretty much understood what kind of players they are, so what's the point.
If he's also not committed to signing long-term deals, I don't know how he's going to pull that off.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If he's also not committed to signing long-term deals, I don't know how he's going to pull that off.
May be a good thing (in the short term, until team returns to playoffs/respectability). May have to slightly over pay to get some character players.

Kunin is willing to play and teach/mentor the kids.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I feel like I remember folks here saying Quinn (back when he was first hired) wasn't good for player development and doesn't like to play the kids.
That's seemingly the party line from Rangers fans. I think that's why it was the message out there.

Reactions: landshark

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
I really hope this doesn't start a revolving door of coaches. The sharks will absolutely ruin all their young players with the lack of stability behind the bench.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I really think there's absolutely no value in speculating, pontificating, or worrying about this until we get some actual further news. Grier thought replacing Quinn a year earlier than apparently planned was the right move, and there are a dozen separate reasons why that could be, but we won't know which one is true (and thus, have no means by which to actually evaluate the process) until we get more info.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I completely disagree with the idea of hiring someone like Warsofsky or Carle. We're not at the Cooper or Bednar hiring stage. We need an experienced NHL head coach who can install a more conventional defensive structure and command more accountability than Quinn apparently did. In 2-3 years we can reassess both GM and coach depending on what the overall organizational picture looks like.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Which is exactly why it makes no sense to promote a guy who was part of the shitty culture.
I don't know if the culture itself was shitty (I mean, beyond what it's going to feel like in the room when you lose a shit-ton of games)--or at least I don't know if I believe that was why Quinn got the axe.

I sort of wonder if the biggest issue was Quinn's system, particularly defensively, which I'm not smart enough to fully understand but I know others have critiqued it and safe to say we saw with our own two eyes that it was a total mess even if we couldn't pinpoint why.

If that were the case, it might be that Grier decided he doesn't want his young players developing in such a system (or at least not any longer than they have in the case of those with the club already) and especially with more promising kids coming up in the next couple years, it would make sense to not persist because that could genuinely be bad for their long-term development.

I forgot to say, that could be a reason why Warsofsky could get a chance (though I, too, doubt he will get more than an interview and maybe get kept on as an assistant); he may well have his own ideas for systems that differ significantly from Quinn's.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
However, some of the comments from Grier make me feel like there’s something under the surface with Quinn. I wonder if it has to do with how many times this team gave up a couple of goals and simply imploded. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another not to put up a fight at all.
Quinn had one edict this season - the team should be tough to play against and have a high compete. This team was the complete opposite. The only times there was any pushback was after Grier addressed the team and a slight bump when Couture came back for a few games.

I thought Sturm’s end of season comments revealed a lot. I took them to mean that the team became comfortable with being blown out in games and not pushing back. This is obviously not acceptable when you want prospects to be developing in the right kind of culture, otherwise you end up in the Buffalo/Arizona zone of constant rebuild.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I completely disagree with the idea of hiring someone like Warsofsky or Carle. We're not at the Cooper or Bednar hiring stage. We need an experienced NHL head coach who can install a more conventional defensive structure and command more accountability than Quinn apparently did. In 2-3 years we can reassess both GM and coach depending on what the overall organizational picture looks like.
Personally, I don't really care about the level of NHL experience. So many coaches get 3-4 opportunities which inevitably end up the same way. I don't want to see a Claude Julien, Todd McClellan, Craig Berube, or Gerard Gallant because they're experienced.
I really hope Grier has a clear idea of what he wants from the coach, and thoroughly interview candidates against that. For me the key things he needs to look for:
- Strong defensive zone system.
- Ability to adapt systems when things don't work.
- Accountability for every player, not just the younger players.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don’t care if the coach has NHL experience I care that he’s a good coach.

I can’t get it out of my mind that Gallant at least outwardly seems like the kind of guy Grier would want (fiery, accountability, etc etc) but since we have no actual idea why Quinn was fired (this team would have been terrible under the best coach), I don’t know the quality he’s looking to replace.

I actually really dislike the game of musical chairs that NHL coaches play and I’d rather bring in someone smart and promising with new ideas than the same old thing. Isn’t Marco Sturm supposed to be pretty good?

**edited Marco in for Nico because brain

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I don’t care if the coach has NHL experience I care that he’s a good coach.

I can’t get it out of my mind that Gallant at least outwardly seems like the kind of guy Grier would want (fiery, accountability, etc etc) but since we have no actual idea why Quinn was fired (this team would have been terrible under the best coach), I don’t know the quality he’s looking to replace.

I actually really dislike the game of musical chairs that NHL coaches play and I’d rather bring in someone smart and promising with new ideas than the same old thing. Isn’t Nico Sturm supposed to be pretty good?
Nico is a warrior on the ice.

I have an idea you meant Marco Sturm. I’ve heard he’s an up and comer.

Reactions: Jargon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad