Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Better than Beniers? I don't think so

Beniers is a great little player but what is he really good at? He's just lacking elite skill in my view. Maybe it's gonna come but I haven't seen it yet. What is it he's elite at? What's his game? Can he shoot pucks like McTavish, can he convert on rebounds like McTavish, deflect pucks like McTavish, protect pucks like McTavish?

Probably the 2nd best Center in this years draft but he's yet to impress me.

They're difficult to compare though. Beniers is probably more of a playmaker than McTavish is. If you're looking for a playmaker, you probably shouldn't draft McTavish.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Beniers is a great little player but what is he really good at? He's just lacking elite skill in my view. Maybe it's gonna come but I haven't seen it yet. What is it he's elite at? What's his game? Can he shoot pucks like McTavish, can he convert on rebounds like McTavish, deflect pucks like McTavish, protect pucks like McTavish?

Probably the 2nd best Center in this years draft but he's yet to impress me.

They're difficult to compare though. Beniers is probably more of a playmaker than McTavish is. If you're looking for a playmaker, you probably shouldn't draft McTavish.
I think Beniers' 200 foot play is elite. He can really hound the opposition and the hunt puck down. He backchecks and forechecks harder than anyone in the draft.

But it is a weak draft for centers, no doubt about it.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
If his potential is top 4, then the expectations would indicate bottom 6. If that's the case, he'd fall well into the second round.

He plays both the PP and PK. Excellent edges and backward skating. He won't wow with end to end rushes as that's not his game. Passes on tape. Strong IQ and is a solid defender. I'd say he's a better defender than the projected top 4 d-men. Good size and he has toughness.

The dark cloud is the undisclosed medical issue for which he had a procedure near the end of April. Some scouts were not particular thrilled with his play in Europe. This makes for a somewhat polarizing pick.

Yeah I like him a lot because of said toughness. He seems to have the iq, but also won't be like most of our other D, being pushed around and losing physical battles. He also drops them to protect teammates, so everything points to him having a high character and lots of poise. I think he'd be a really good compliment to who we have now.

I like McTavish and some analysts seem to disagree with me but I haven't seen McTavish play with an edge yet. Certainly not close from Othmann or Stillman who just love to run over everything that moves.

Right, probably much less than the other two. I do really like how he battles in close though.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Luke Hughes is better than any D in our system.

Brandt Clarke and Owen Power would be equivalent to Boqvist imo.
IMHO, Power or Clarke> Boqvist. I don't believe it's that close.

Both are better defensively and their overall offensive game is better. Boqvist has a better shot than either player but that part of his game has not yet adjusted to the speed of the NHL.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I don't think Button's list is too accurate, but I'd love to get one of Lysell, Mctavish, Johnson or even Pinelli. Button's rankings would have us selecting carson lambos, who I'm not too familiar with.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I don't think Button's list is too accurate, but I'd love to get one of Lysell, Mctavish, Johnson or even Pinelli. Button's rankings would have us selecting carson lambos, who I'm not too familiar with.
Uh oh.........

Looking like KBIB calling yet another one two years in a row

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
IMHO, Power or Clarke> Boqvist. I don't believe it's that close.

Both are better defensively and their overall offensive game is better. Boqvist has a better shot than either player but that part of his game has not yet adjusted to the speed of the NHL.

I agree. While Boqvist is still young and was never expected to be a shutdown or stay at home defenseman, I'm still disappointed that there's been almost zero progress regarding physicality and positioning against the puck. Looking at just skill, Boqvist is probably above both Clarke and Power but when comparing their physicality or game against the puck it's not even close.

My hope is for Boqvist to take a page out of DeBrincat's book. He's living with Alex so he might as well follow his example and put the same gym work in. Him bulking up has been key for DeBrincat's success this year as he's won all the battles he was losing prior to this season. Boqvist also needs additional size to hold his own physically and he needs to learn how to avoid, or, if necessary, take big hits as an undersized player. This is a major concern for Boqvist but something DeBrincat never had a problem with. It's something Boqvist has to go to school on...much like positioning against the puck. HockeyIQ seems to let him down there but it's nothing you couldn't fix by watching video.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I agree. While Boqvist is still young and was never expected to be a shutdown or stay at home defenseman, I'm still disappointed that there's been almost zero progress regarding physicality and positioning against the puck. Looking at just skill, Boqvist is probably above both Clarke and Power but when comparing their physicality or game against the puck it's not even close.

My hope is for Boqvist to take a page out of DeBrincat's book. He's living with Alex so he might as well follow his example and put the same gym work in. Him bulking up has been key for DeBrincat's success this year as he's won all the battles he was losing prior to this season. Boqvist also needs additional size to hold his own physically and he needs to learn how to avoid, or, if necessary, take big hits as an undersized player. This is a major concern for Boqvist but something DeBrincat never had a problem with. It's something Boqvist has to go to school on...much like positioning against the puck. HockeyIQ seems to let him down there but it's nothing you couldn't fix by watching video.
Let's hope he takes a cue from Alex ,I was hoping his buddy from Erie would and that never happened .

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Power
Clarke
Edvinsson
Hughes
Lambos

Are all better then Boqvist at the same age.

The Hawks should have used the Boqvist pick on Kandre Miller who is going to be a superstar

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Power
Clarke
Edvinsson
Hughes
Lambos

Are all better then Boqvist at the same age.

The Hawks should have used the Boqvist pick on Kandre Miller who is going to be a superstar

In hindsight you're always smarter. Having said that, it's too early for conclusions. Boqvist is the much more skilled player. If he can improve in the areas we've just talked about, he's gonna be a good player. Miller is a good two way defenseman and his size/skating combination is intriguing but I think his offensive upside is much more limited than Boqvist's. Boqvist was drafted 8th overall and at least Clarke, Power and Hughes are gonna go earlier than that it's only normal that they're probably better than Boqvist.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
In hindsight you're always smarter. Having said that, it's too early for conclusions. Boqvist is the much more skilled player. If he can improve in the areas we've just talked about, he's gonna be a good player. Miller is a good two way defenseman and his size/skating combination is intriguing but I think his offensive upside is much more limited than Boqvist's. Boqvist was drafted 8th overall and at least Clarke, Power and Hughes are gonna go earlier than that it's only normal that they're probably better than Boqvist.
We're gonna have to disagree on that one.

Miller had the "Mahomes hype" surrounding him in the draft.

He might be the best player, but he might bust. He had an impressive rookie year this year and right now I would put him as the best defenseman from that draft after Hughes

Hughes
Miller
Dobson
Dahlin
Smith
Sandin
Boqvist

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Calgary gets a big 4-1 win over Vancouver who are without Pettersson for the remainder of the season.

3 more wins against Vancouver and the Hawks are picking at 11.

Keep your fingers crossed!
tumblr_oghsl3mSfw1uzae1ko1_500.gifv

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Calgary gets a big 4-1 win over Vancouver who are without Pettersson for the remainder of the season.

If my math is correct, they take 2 of the 3 games and they finish higher than us. They seem to have the tiebreaker too.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If my math is correct, they take 2 of the 3 games and they finish higher than us. They seem to have the tiebreaker too.
Even better!

At 11, I feel pretty confident that one of Johnson, Wallstedt, Lysell or Lucius will fall and be available.

Whoever it is will be the pick imo.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

Yeah but our lucky number is 12.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
CGY needs only 4 points from their 3 games remaining to rise oast Chicago in the standibgs...With 4 points they tie is but go past us due to more wins ...so they need 2 wins in regulation. And HAWKS DRAFT 11TH. not 12th pre-lotto.

Make it so...

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
This year moving up one seems much more important than normal. Think there's a pretty good chance a VG prospect (forward, most likely) will fall to 11. Go, Flames, go!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This year moving up one seems much more important than normal. Think there's a pretty good chance a VG prospect (forward, most likely) will fall to 11. Go, Flames, go!
Johnson, Lysell, Lucius, and Wallstedt.

One will fall imo.

I think Wallstedt might be the least popular choice because he's a goalie, and many will probably be content with our current pipeline. But if he's the only one of those 4 that falls, you take him on value alone. Franchise goalies don't grow on trees.

Johnson and Lysell would give this team the 1st line winger prospect that I think we desperately need.

Lucius would be the ideal high end 2C to become our future 1-2 punch with Kirby.

If we stay at 13(12), I feel like they will all be gone. Moving up the one spot is really important.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Do we know when the draft lottery will be held? Usually it's between the end of the regular season and beginning of playoffs but in this case Vancouver and Calgary are playing into next week.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Do we know when the draft lottery will be held? Usually it's between the end of the regular season and beginning of playoffs but in this case Vancouver and Calgary are playing into next week.
Nothing confirmed but it will be in June. The speculation was June 2nd, but we'll see.

Reactions: Brightwing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad