NHL 17 Franchise Mode

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Turning off firing.

Is there a way to turn off gm firing once you've already played with it on? I usually play with it off because I hate getting fired in the middle of a slow rebuild. but I forgot to turn it off in my Avs Gm and I can't find an option to turn it off in the settings.

I there a way? If not is there any advice on how to not get fired? My Avs 3 months in are something like 5-22-2. We're tanking hard and I don't want to get fired 1 year in lol.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
No, once you have stsrted a franchise you can't change GM firing, from what I've heard.

Check what the goals are and try to meet them.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think I'm going to get a PS4 again and I really, really hope they fix franchise mode in NHL 18, from the simming being broken at times, any other morale issues, depth, computer AI GMs being smart, etc.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Somehow Toronto let Matthews, Dermott, and Timashov fall to FA (RFA), and seeing how I relocated to Markham, I decided to try to screw Toronto over by offering Auston an 11M offer sheet. Turns out they didn't match it and he's mine, and I only paid 2 firsts, a second and a third.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
In my Nashville Franchise I got fired, went to Detroit and they had a med elite sniper LW with amazing offensive categories, had 62 goals, 96 points in his first NHL season.

Take that Nashville. :laugh:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Is there a way to turn off gm firing once you've already played with it on? I usually play with it off because I hate getting fired in the middle of a slow rebuild. but I forgot to turn it off in my Avs Gm and I can't find an option to turn it off in the settings.

I there a way? If not is there any advice on how to not get fired? My Avs 3 months in are something like 5-22-2. We're tanking hard and I don't want to get fired 1 year in lol.

Only time you can take off GM firing is before you start it, or if you just turn off owner mode.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Somehow Toronto let Matthews, Dermott, and Timashov fall to FA (RFA), and seeing how I relocated to Markham, I decided to try to screw Toronto over by offering Auston an 11M offer sheet. Turns out they didn't match it and he's mine, and I only paid 2 firsts, a second and a third.

This has been a problem for years in NHL games. The AI aren't programmed to shuffle cap in advance the same way real life GMs/human controlled teams do. They also aren't programmed to prioritize players, IE not re-signing a good player they have cap for who is 30 because they know they need that cap for Auston Matthews next year.

Galchenyuk almost always hit the open market in past NHL games as an RFA because of this. Another byproduct of this is that a lot of high end goalie prospects hit free agency 2 years after being drafted. Sometimes even 4.5* 1st overall type goalies. The problem is that there is nothing programmed into the AI to help the CPU GM deal with the 6 (?) goalie limit. So if they happen to have 6 goalies signed year 2 after drafting a stud, instead of pre-emptively trading a goalie away so they can sign that stud goalie, or even buying out a different goalie they just lose their 4.5* 20 year old goalie for nothing to free agency.....

When it is considered that these problems have all been in this game for years, it is mind blowing. I'm fairly certain EA never actually tested GM mode beyond maybe simming the first year because there are so many issues that come after year's 3-5 that have never been fixed.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
So true. I have actually made a habit out of signing these players(if I had the cap space) and trading them back to their original team while trading the pieces I receive to the other teams lol I traded Patrick Kane back to Chicago about 100 times in NHL 14. I try to be realistic in my gm modes so when a player like Kane or Matthews is a UFA or RFA it makes me batty. When I have moral on it is fun to watch the bipolar locker room reaction lol

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I've noticed that since the last update the salary cap doesn't go any higher than 75 million, which causes like 10 85+ overall players getting left in the free agency every year with no one having cap for them... Thanks EA. I'm in second year free agency and no one has space for 91 Vlasic, 88 Turris or 87 Little. I'd suggest just setting salary cap off till they fix it. Does anyone know how to get EA's attention to this annoying bug?

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Same for me. Year 3 and I have Little, a 90 ovr Duchene and a 88 over Marner sitting the full season out. I wish they would just let us set our own salary cap limit to start with. I don't understand why EA intentionally limits our customization in offline modes. I have yet to try playing with the cap off. Does anyone make it to free agency or is it a barren wasteland? I'd imagine there are more trades with it off?

Last edited:

SuperGM17

Jun 17, 2015
British Columbia
I havent tried doing this, but a possible way around the CAP limit is to go into your rosters and edit everyone to lower cap hits. Unfortunately this could make teams hit the floor of cap but EA auto bounces that up anyway. You could just deplenish ****** contracts like horton, bolland etc.. and lower cap hits of top players. It seems like a lot of hard work and a bit of playing around and might not be worth it considering EA could just take a second and show some initiative and allow us to set our cap limits/ bump up cap more. Whatever if someone wants to give that a try let me know how it works !

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
Disabling the cap doesn't change anything. Top players in their late 20s to mid 30s will still hit the free agent market every offseason. The only difference is that without a cap, you're free to just sign them for whatever contract they want. Also, the salaries do not go up.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Breaking News: Benning out, Hawk in

A surprise twist of events in Vancouver today as former GM Jim Henning was fired, and young up-and-coming GM Mike Hawk was hired today. He was rumoured to be going to the Islanders and everyone is surprised that the Canucks managed to snag him. When President Trevor Linden was asked about the move, he said "Benning and I had different views about the team. He believed that we were contenders while I believe we should be getting assets for the future. I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. We're excited to get a young GM in Mike who shares our vision for the team. We believe he can bring glory back to Vancouver and that he can bring us back the cup."

We also interviewed Mike who said "I know everyone was expecting me to go to Brooklyn, but ultimately I decided that Vancouver was the better choice for me. I want to thank Trevor Linden for giving me a chance and I definitely will not let him down. Expect some big moves in the next few days.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Trade Alert: Sedin twins moved to Carolina
To Carolina:
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
18' 3rd

To Vancouver:
Victor Rask
Elias Lindholm
17' 2nd

When we asked Hawk about the trade, he said "Truth be told, I was kind of surprised that Carolina was open to a trade involving the Sedins. Daniel and Henrik made it tough on me to find a team, because they did not want to be moved unless they went to the same team, and given their cap hits, not a lot of teams could take on 14M in cap. We got 2 solid pieces in Rask and Lindholm. Both are immediately going to play in our top 6, and we were able to upgrade our 3rd to a 2nd. We really wanted to move the Sedin twins to the eastern conference, and we were able to with Carolina. Us at Vancouver would like to thank Daniel and Henrik for their years with us, and we wish them and Carolina luck in the future."

Trade Alert: Edler to WPG

To WPG:

A. Edler
R.Abols
J. Stukel

To VAN:

17' 1st
L. Stanley.

Hawk had this to say about the move: "We're finally rebuilding here in Vancouver, and we felt it was best to move Edler. We heard that Winnipeg was in the market for a top 4 D-Man and we called them about Edler. We're happy to get fair value back for him, and we believe that if Stanley develops well, he'll be a huge piece of our blueline in the future. We wish Edler the best of luck in the future. We should be done moving players for now, unless an offer comes along that really impresses us"

Last edited:

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Canucks went 3-2-1 in the preseason, and their top 3 scorers were Sutter, Eriksson and Rask with 6 ,5, and 3 points respectively. Miller with 3 wins in 3 starts, posting a .972 sv% with 2 shutouts, and Markstrom with an .817 in 4 starts

Opening day lineup:

Eriksson (87) Rask (85) Lindholm (83)
Baertschi (82) Horvat (84) Hansen (84)
Burrows (81) Sutter (85) Virtanen (80)
Skille (79) Granlund (80) Dorset (80)

Hutton (84) Tanev (87)
Sbisa (83) Gudbranson (84)
Tyramakin (80) Stecher (80)

Miller (84)
Markstrom (83)

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Start of 2023-2024 season with Leafs. I did edit pre franchise to have Matthews and Marner as Franchise, and W. Nylander to High... so a I cheated. and no Cap because I know how the Cap system ruins the game but I keep it around 75 on my own. Lol computer trading 1st round picks

W. Nylander 95 -Matthews 98 - Marner 97
A. Nylander 82 - Patrick 84 - Domi 85
JVR 84 - Kadri 86 - Kapanen 83
M. Strome 82 - Gauthier 84 - Dubois 80

Reilly 92 - Brodin 90 (lol got Brodin in UFA)
Gardiner 86 - Lilijegren 87
Game 80 - Zaitsev 80

Andersen 88
Game - 85

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Start of 2023-2024 season with Leafs. I did edit pre franchise to have Matthews and Marner as Franchise, and W. Nylander to High... so a I cheated. and no Cap because I know how the Cap system ruins the game but I keep it around 75 on my own. Lol computer trading 1st round picks

W. Nylander 95 -Matthews 98 - Marner 97
A. Nylander 82 - Patrick 84 - Domi 85
JVR 84 - Kadri 86 - Kapanen 83
M. Strome 82 - Gauthier 84 - Dubois 80

Reilly 92 - Brodin 90 (lol got Brodin in UFA)
Gardiner 86 - Lilijegren 87
Game 80 - Zaitsev 80

Andersen 88
Game - 85

I won't comment on the overalls, but the fact that you got Brodin in UFA despite there being no cap should show how broken the AI GMs are.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Officially done with this game (not actually done with it just done with its ****.) EA's sim is broken. I had a GM mode with the Caps, first year and I didn't really change anything with the lineup other than acquire Kuemper as my backup and Brian Boyle. Team gets 63 wins? (too lazy to check) and Ovi gets 73 goals. First in the league by quite a bit. Playoffs roll around, the team finishes the season hot and we have a fully healthy lineup. Up against the Isles in the playoffs who barely got in, and guess what? We get ****ing swept. This just happened 15 or so minutes ago and I'm very frustrated

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Officially done with this game (not actually done with it just done with its ****.) EA's sim is broken. I had a GM mode with the Caps, first year and I didn't really change anything with the lineup other than acquire Kuemper as my backup and Brian Boyle. Team gets 63 wins? (too lazy to check) and Ovi gets 73 goals. First in the league by quite a bit. Playoffs roll around, the team finishes the season hot and we have a fully healthy lineup. Up against the Isles in the playoffs who barely got in, and guess what? We get ****ing swept. This just happened 15 or so minutes ago and I'm very frustrated

that happens irl too..

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
that happens irl too..

A team finishing with 63 wins and dominating the regular season getting swept by a team who barely makes it in to the playoffs? Missing their #1 goalie and top pairing defenseman too...find me a recent situation where this has happened

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury

The sky is fallinggggggggggggggggggggggg :D

Remember when the 58-16-8 Detroit Red Wings lost to 41-28-15 Edmonton Oilers?

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
The Oilers had HOF defense with Pronger and an incredibly hot goaltender. But those are 'one in a generation' occurences. In NHL 17, stuff like thise happens almost every year. It seems like my teams are the only Presidents' Trophy winners to ever manage to get passed the second round.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Given how the Caps have done in the Ovie era in the playoffs, I would say that this is not too far fetched compared to real life.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Damn in my 1990's NHL Franchise mode, I got fired from Pittsburgh after dealing away Kevin Stevens for Scotty Niedermayer. Thought PIT needed the D help but only Jagr and Lemieux got points.

Left them and joined Gretzky and the Kings who are fresh off a Stanley Cup final loss...need to find him some talent and C depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad