NHL 17 Franchise Mode

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Officially done with this game (not actually done with it just done with its ****.) EA's sim is broken. I had a GM mode with the Caps, first year and I didn't really change anything with the lineup other than acquire Kuemper as my backup and Brian Boyle. Team gets 63 wins? (too lazy to check) and Ovi gets 73 goals. First in the league by quite a bit. Playoffs roll around, the team finishes the season hot and we have a fully healthy lineup. Up against the Isles in the playoffs who barely got in, and guess what? We get ****ing swept. This just happened 15 or so minutes ago and I'm very frustrated

Update: now in my second season with the caps, no major moves. Resigned Shatty and didn't have enough cap to resign Oshie. My mistake I guess is that I probably should've resigned Oshie but my RW's improved, Burakovsky is now an 87, and Vrana is an 83. Needed a 3C so I picked up William Karlsson from CBJ (he was an 84) and Chad Johnson because I needed a backup, my team is still stacked and we didn't lose anyone other than Oshie.
Lineup
Ovi-Backstrom-Vrana
Johansson-Kuz-Bura
Eller-Karlsson-Wilson
Winnik-Beagle-Connolly
Shatty-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov-Bowie (82)
Holtby
Chad Johnson
(Defense is still the same as last year)
We are 7-18-2 after 27 games and I'm pretty frustrated. Vrana replaced Oshies production on the Ovi line, 22 points through 27 games, and an 87 Burakovsky playing with his high chemistry line mates only has 9 points through those 27 games after a breakout season which he hit 59 points. Holtby rocking a .896 save percentage after a Vezina win. Ovi with only 12 goals in 27 games after exploding last year with 73. Daniel Winnik with more points than Bura and Johansson. Why do I still play this game:help: Was the loss of Oshie really that bad to the team lol

Edit: Forgot to add Arizona is second in the league, first in points percentage, Strome (83) and Holland (81) are their top 2 centers..no one over overall 86 except OEL. EA pls

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
This has been a problem for years in NHL games. The AI aren't programmed to shuffle cap in advance the same way real life GMs/human controlled teams do. They also aren't programmed to prioritize players, IE not re-signing a good player they have cap for who is 30 because they know they need that cap for Auston Matthews next year.

Galchenyuk almost always hit the open market in past NHL games as an RFA because of this. Another byproduct of this is that a lot of high end goalie prospects hit free agency 2 years after being drafted. Sometimes even 4.5* 1st overall type goalies. The problem is that there is nothing programmed into the AI to help the CPU GM deal with the 6 (?) goalie limit. So if they happen to have 6 goalies signed year 2 after drafting a stud, instead of pre-emptively trading a goalie away so they can sign that stud goalie, or even buying out a different goalie they just lose their 4.5* 20 year old goalie for nothing to free agency.....

When it is considered that these problems have all been in this game for years, it is mind blowing. I'm fairly certain EA never actually tested GM mode beyond maybe simming the first year because there are so many issues that come after year's 3-5 that have never been fixed.

I picked up NBA 2K17 and it's impossible to trade for the top players in the game, the other GM's simply won't do it, you can offer all kinds of picks/players and completely overpay and they won't budge. I wish NHL was like this, Realistically who would Pittsburgh trade for Crosby? McDavid is the only player and even then they would have to debate it and have a meeting. I shouldn't be able to offer a 60 point 1C and a few 1st round picks to get the best player in hockey...There should just be hard "no" players in the game. Wish teams had a style as well...2k's GM mode head coaches, GM's and Owners all have preferences and their teams play accordingly to them. Some teams seem to want to shed overpaid players, some star players are always on the market...The GM's act more like real life GM's filling holes and such, in a few GM modes in 2K I was able to sign a 90 overall player in free agency once....once....they all take more money to resign with their original team rarely wanting a change of scenery. In NHL I can just snag a #1 C and #1 D and #1 G whenever I want...

It would be great if a team started to shed older players in the off season in NHL to make cap room for players coming off rookie deals...but ****, it's pure magic they even have salary retention in the game mode as they don't have long term IR and over 35 contracts.

In fairness to EA the teams do seem to put a lot of older players on the block for crappy teams who are rebuilding, but I have no clue if they retain salary for expiring contracts and stock up on draft picks.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I picked up NBA 2K17 and it's impossible to trade for the top players in the game, the other GM's simply won't do it, you can offer all kinds of picks/players and completely overpay and they won't budge. I wish NHL was like this, Realistically who would Pittsburgh trade for Crosby? McDavid is the only player and even then they would have to debate it and have a meeting. I shouldn't be able to offer a 60 point 1C and a few 1st round picks to get the best player in hockey...There should just be hard "no" players in the game. Wish teams had a style as well...2k's GM mode head coaches, GM's and Owners all have preferences and their teams play accordingly to them. Some teams seem to want to shed overpaid players, some star players are always on the market...The GM's act more like real life GM's filling holes and such, in a few GM modes in 2K I was able to sign a 90 overall player in free agency once....once....they all take more money to resign with their original team rarely wanting a change of scenery. In NHL I can just snag a #1 C and #1 D and #1 G whenever I want...

It would be great if a team started to shed older players in the off season in NHL to make cap room for players coming off rookie deals...but ****, it's pure magic they even have salary retention in the game mode as they don't have long term IR and over 35 contracts.

In fairness to EA the teams do seem to put a lot of older players on the block for crappy teams who are rebuilding, but I have no clue if they retain salary for expiring contracts and stock up on draft picks.

Not even kidding two years in I saw Carey Price and Connor McDavid in free agency..McDavid got signed and Carey Price went through the whole year unsigned and dropped 3 overalls, I would've picked him up but I already had Mrazek at 88 so there was no point and I was very close to the cap

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I just made a trade for Matthews. I don't remember exactly what it was but I know it took at least 3 1sts. I don't remember if I had to include a player or added another 1st. I just remember immediately being like "Ehhhhhhh was Matthews really worth that?"

And that's what it should be like. That being said I haven't played any Franchise mode beyond that like a week + ago and barely played any. I've found be a pro to be more entertaining.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Does everyone always play with owner goals and player morale? I like how this year you can turn those off in order to get the classic / old school GM experience.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Right now in about year 6 off season I created the Vegas golden knights. All I need to be a perennial contender is a good goalie. Boston has Korpisalo(91 overall), Subban(89 overall), Rask (88 overall), and a 20 year old goalie with Franchise potential. They have roughly 23 million in capped tied up in Korp Subban and Rask and I've been trying to trade for one of them and it's nearly impossible. So sick of this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Right now in about year 6 off season I created the Vegas golden knights. All I need to be a perennial contender is a good goalie. Boston has Korpisalo(91 overall), Subban(89 overall), Rask (88 overall), and a 20 year old goalie with Franchise potential. They have roughly 23 million in capped tied up in Korp Subban and Rask and I've been trying to trade for one of them and it's nearly impossible. So sick of this.

Should fix this in '18. Logic decisions, like IRL when Tampa tarded Bishop, or when the Blues moved Elliott, or when the Sens traded Lehner. 3 top goalies is just ridiculous tho.

FacebookFighter

Mar 6, 2017
Buffalo
Need suggestions

I'm going to do a complete rebuild with Buffalo since I've never been able to win I figure I might as well grow young guys. I did a fantasy draft and by year 5 couldn't afford half my team (whoops).

So money is an issue but cemented players I plan on getting are down below and ones I'd like to keep on lines together

Drouin/ Eichel/ Reinhart Risto/ X Murray

X/ Marner/ X X/X Suban

Foligno/ Girg/ X McCabe/ X

X/ X/ X <--- Usually free agent 4th liners

Untradeable prospects: Nylander (by year two or 3 should be in top 9)

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Does everyone always play with owner goals and player morale? I like how this year you can turn those off in order to get the classic / old school GM experience.

I turn mine off, I always end up with no funds come playoff time anyways and morale is broken. Makes it much quicker and enjoyable IMO

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't get it, I can have a good team, make the playoffs, and all of a sudden in the playoffs the CPU goes crazy and are unbeatable. this is only on all star settings and I've been playing these games since 93.

No matter how good my team record is I get nuked in the playoffs, and I can win most games in the regular season. im gonna turn off the owner and morale stuff and start again.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I turn mine off, I always end up with no funds come playoff time anyways and morale is broken. Makes it much quicker and enjoyable IMO

If I turn off owner goals, do i still have to do arena maintenance ? Cause otherwise how else would you get the required money / more money.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Great to see they've never fix this problem, which has been present since at least nhl 11 or so.

I believe this is because they actually populate the game with the 16-18 yearolds in the CHL and some random in Europe.

So you have very deep draft in year one and two, and then fairly deep knees in year three and four due to all the overagers left over from the first two.

At this point though is when your into full randomly generated draft classes and EA has set the threshold pretty low.

This is also where you'll usually start to see a lot (like over half) of your top 3 round picks be overagers because the game seems to reassign any undrafted players an increased potential.

This is also why years 3-4 tend to be very poor quality drafts and then they start to come back.

This is also why you almost never see real "pro ready" players in the draft until 5-6 seasons in as they have to be randomly generated.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I revamped the devils quite a bit. Traded for logan brown, and skinner in year one and for some reason tampa didnt want to resign drouin so i offer sheeted him and gave up a 2nd/3rd

Hall-Mcleoud-Skinner
Zacha-Brown-Palmieri
Drouin-Henrique-Bennett
Blandisi-Zajac-Battasian

Severson-Foote
Merrill-Schultz
Greene-Santini

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
Just came across Colorado in 2030-31, looking for a 2nd line winger to trade for. Realized the team had 16 LWs, 13 RWs, 9 Cs, 10 Ds and only one 68 overall goaltender. Not one defenseman is over 82 overall and 13 of the 16 Left Wingers are under the age of 20.

Way to make the most out of your team. This game is so ****ing stupid it's unreal.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
My Vegas Expansion Team:

Lee - Shipchayov - Gaborik
Grabner - Lehtera - Marchessault
Smith - Helm - Duke
Gaunce - Sissons - Anderson
Faksa
Nordstrom
Bennett
Khaira
De Le Rose
Leier
Rychel
Kosmachuk

Martin - Stone
Orlov - Spurgeon
Kulikov - Manson
Pokka
Koekkeok

Fleury - Pickard
Subban

Anaheim: Manson
Boston: Subban
Buffalo: Kulikov
Calgary: Stone
Carolina: Nordstrom
Chicago: Pokka
Colardo: Pickard
Columbus: Anderson
Dallas: Faksa
Detroit: Helm
Edmonton: Khaira
Florida: Marchessault
Los Angeles: Gaborik
Montreal: De La Rose
Nashville: Sissons
New Jersey: Bennett
Islanders: Lee
Rangers: Grabner
Ottawa: Smith
Philly: Leier
Pittsburgh: Fleury
San Jose: Martin
St Louis: Lehtera
Tampa: Koekkoek
Toronto: Rychel
Vancouver: Gaunce
Washington: Orlov
Winnipeg: Kosmachuk

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
I think the morale system is the worst feature they have ever implemented in an NHL game. It goes against what a GM would actually try to do in real life, which is being extremely smart with how much term and money you give out to players and how good these players are.

I found myself forced to trade away excellent players because I draft very well and sign intelligently, therefore I usually get my teams to be very good by Year 4, 5 and 6. But good luck trying to keep a center core of 94-90-86-84 overall. They'll complain because of ice time, their overalls will drop, as will their value, and your team will underperform.

Your defense is:

97-93
90-89
85-87

You probably won't even make the playoffs.

You have a defense like:

87-90
84-85
80-79

Stanley Cup Champions.

What's the point ? What's the point of drafting well and developping players when eventually, you have to TRADE AWAY talent because your team can't have too much or else it'll collapse. Such a dumb ****ing feature.

EDIT: Also, the low morale doesn't even make salaries go down in Free Agency. I signed a 26 year old, 84 overall sniper to a 9.5 mil deal because in reality, he was a god damn 93 when his morale went back up. If I sign you at 84 overall, I should pay you like an 84 overall guy. It would at least give a plus to this awful game mechanic.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
When I sim playoffs I seem to do alot better with my grinders set as line one for the first two rounds of the playoffs... My scorers still score, but the opponents just don't. After that I need to give my scorers ice time again to be successful.

And I don't go with world-class grinders... Last time around my first line was Donskoi (not a grinder, but I play him on the fourth line) 82 OA - Haula 83 OA - Salomäki (~80 OA).

Has anyone else experienced something like that?

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Updated the rosters. My 9 most rated players goes as follows:

#1. Price (97ovr)
#2. Crosby (96ovr)
#3. McDavid (95ovr)
#4. Karlsson (95ovr)
#5. Malkin (94)
#6. Ovechkin (94)
#7. Kane (94)
#8. Toews (94)
#9. Weber (94)