NHL 17 Franchise Mode

James Boss

Jan 21, 2016
url

Here it is BOYZ. The long awaited NHL 17 with an all new intricate interface and customization. From the return of owner expectations and firings to relocation and facility upgrades.

Here we transform the franchise of our choice and make it our own.

To start I would like to let you guys decide...which story would you like first.
COMMENT BELLOW >> to vote. The most voted will be my very first and only 25 year Franchise commitment
(Teams direction not decided prior to learning owner expectations; will not relocate for no reason, will follow teams expectations and directions)

*PS: If there are any additional house rules you would like to see played out...I am open to suggestions.
Bring it on boys, and enjoy. See you on the threads

Last edited:

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The rules i play with are

1. Can only trade players over the age of 26 if the other team WANTS them. Like has them in green. No forcing the removal of bad contracts.

2. In negations No using the 85% trick for UFA players. UFA players get the length and dollar amount they want or they get to walk. I give myself 2 chances to sign them. If i plan on keeping the player i have to just sign them as is however last year they decided some players will say your team isn't going to win and i want to win. maybe more money. So then i get a 2nd chance to offer them more money however if they turn that down then they get to walk to FA where i can try and sign them again.

3. No trading for draft picks at the draft if a team doesn't want to trade that pick.

4. No stock piling draft picks. On rebuild years no collecting more then 3 or 4 1st round picks. Its very easy to get 10 first round picks in the same year in this game. No exploiting that.

Those are the rules i play with. I also add some depending on the team. Like if i was to do Montreal this season Webber has to retire on the team. No trading him at the end of the season to avoid the stupid length of his contract. Same for the Wild. No trading to get out of Sutter or Parise.

If you just do whatever in the game then franchise/gm mode is beyond simple and stupid. I try to keep it somewhat realistic.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
It might take a while, but what I might do is I'll make 30 teams and replace all of the teams in franchise mode, then do a fantasy draft.

I'll probably go with major European cities as well to make it a bit different.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It might take a while, but what I might do is I'll make 30 teams and replace all of the teams in franchise mode, then do a fantasy draft.

I'll probably go with major European cities as well to make it a bit different.

Damn.

It would be cool to turn the Western Conference into like, a European Conference, and then do a North American conference.

Would take a while, but would be super cool

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I did a Leafs play through, but I've started an Atlanta Thrashers reboot.

I took the Carolina Hurricanes and moved them to Atlanta, as "One Last Shot" for the city of Atlanta. A great young team coming off a playoff berth has the Atlanta crowd loving the team!

P.S Was going to do Las Vegas or Quebec City, but neither of them wanted to have my team (lirl). Was considering Markham or Hamilton, but decided to go with Atlanta.

Toronto 2.0 is probably my next GM Mode. Thing is, I'm not sure what team I would move. I'd want them to be in the same division as the Leafs, but that really only leaves Florida as a borderline realistic relocation option. Hmmmm

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I did a fantasy draft and moved Arizona down to New Orleans. Using a purple and neon green color scheme for the New Orleans Gladiators. McDavid, Forsberg, Laine, Matthews, Pulijarvi, Nylander, Tkachuk, Klingberg, Gibson are my notable players.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
So far my GM career.

Took over the Hurricanes. Traded every player that was over 26 years of age and had more then 1 year left on their contract. Got a ton of picks for it.

Missed the playoffs but won the lottery with a draft pick i traded for and my draft pick was 2nd overall.

Cleaned up in free agency with all of my cap space. Picked Up Tyler Johnson, Ben Bishop and a ton of depth.

At this point I moved to Baltimore and named my team the Pit Vipers (a real snake type found in baltimore)

Made the playoffs but 1st round exit.

Cleaned up in free agency again and got some decent D depth and picked up Jonathan Driun in trade.

Made the cup finals but was swept. Also won the presidents trophy.

I then changed teams and went to the Oilers. The Oilers just beat me for the cup. However were in contract hell. Year 1 i fixed the contracts. 1st round exit in the playoffs. Pit Vipers won the presidents trophy and the cup.

Year two all the young players i traded vets for started to develop made a difference. 1st place in the west. 2nd place overall. Pit vipers presidents trophy again. Went to the cup finals and lost in 6 to the pit vipers.

Year three My defense is stacked and a young goalie grew into a 90 overall so I won the presidents and beat the pit vipers for the cup in 6.

I am now entering my last year with the oilers. I fixed the cap situation and gave them a dynasty just like I gave the baltimore pit vipers. I am going to change teams but want to go more to a rebuild team.

At this point the Devils still suck, Penguins are in cap hell, and the Wild are in a full rebuild. They were in cap hell but sutter just retired and i think parise will this next year. Rangers are a top team as is vancouver. Ducks have a stacked team but just missed the playoffs for some reason. The leafs have a ton of talent but no money and havent won much. So i might go that way if they give me an offer.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
The game says that I've had 33 sellouts this year, and yet my Owner's Goal still says in I need 28...

I'm really confused.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Is it possible to bring back the Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, and other defunct franchises? I will seriously consider buying this game (I hated the last two) if I can actually call my team the Hartford Whalers.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Not sure if I'm struggling with the new interface or they've straight up removed stuff, but does anyone else find that...

- There's no way to see previous season stats other than going to each player one by one? The player stats only shows the current season, and only during that season. A lot of times come offseason when I'm making decisions about players I like to see how they all did, but nope, shows statistics unavailable unless you go to that individual player and click more details.
- Seeing the list of players you are scouting by region is a pain in the ass because you have to select a region and scouting duration THEN you can see the eligible players within that region.

On another note, find any hidden gems or must target players that turn into studs down the road? Despite just low elite potential, Adam Larsson hit 90 overall 1.5 seasons in for me. Teuvo Teravainen has led my team in goals 2 seasons straight despite mainly playing on 2nd line.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Is it possible to bring back the Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, and other defunct franchises? I will seriously consider buying this game (I hated the last two) if I can actually call my team the Hartford Whalers.

My new favorite thing is moving and renaming origenal 6 teams. You 100% can bring them back to odler teams. The NJ devils are now the Quebec Nordiques in my GM mode and the Redwings are the Whalers. You can use the logo and they will call the team that.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Yes and no. You can definitely make both teams, and the uniform and arena options are pretty robust, I think I have a pretty good likeness of the Whalers already. On the Nords, you can make them up the same way, the logo is there, and you can name them right, but there is no audio option for their team name; at least that I can see. I used the audio option "No Dekes" Because I thought it sounded enough like it. :laugh:

Can anyone answer if you can put more than one created team into GM mode?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes and no. You can definitely make both teams, and the uniform and arena options are pretty robust, I think I have a pretty good likeness of the Whalers already. On the Nords, you can make them up the same way, the logo is there, and you can name them right, but there is no audio option for their team name; at least that I can see. I used the audio option "No Dekes" Because I thought it sounded enough like it. :laugh:

Can anyone answer if you can put more than one created team into GM mode?

I used "No Dekes" too. :laugh:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Can someone tell me what you need to do to build facilities that are shaded out? My owner wants me to build new club seats but it never opens up...

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Been hearing that players don't change their potential anymore? Can anyone confirm this? One of my favourite things from NHL 16 was drafting late round gems.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006

Yes, I moved Carolina back to Hartford. They have the logo and you can make the color scheme very easily.

Only thing I was a bit disappointed with was in the goal songs they did not have the Brass Bonanza. That would have been icing on the cake.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
One of the main things I miss from old gen GM mode was the scouting screen because you could see the players all listed from that area right in the same screen as selecting how long to scout for. It just made everything easier.
I don't think the scouting map has any significance. I would like to see them drop that and bring back something like the old screen.

I am liking the owner mode, but the rewards for meeting goals needs to be higher. I know you have to make a profit, but it is almost impossible to to all the maintenance and upgrades on the owner's budget.
I am using the Blackhawks, so my owner is willing to spend all the money and it is still hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad