NHL 17 Franchise Mode

twiztidwolff

Feb 10, 2017
Winning is so hard in this game, all my gm modes so far no matter how good of a team I build, I haven't got into the cup finals.. tips would be greatly appreciated, I do play very realistic though so don't tell me to like trade my next 10 1st round picks for McDavid or tell me to trade decent quantity for quality

I'm in a similar boat, I literally can build a top 5 roster and miss the playoffs.

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
Winning is so hard in this game, all my gm modes so far no matter how good of a team I build, I haven't got into the cup finals.. tips would be greatly appreciated, I do play very realistic though so don't tell me to like trade my next 10 1st round picks for McDavid or tell me to trade decent quantity for quality

I usually sim 5-10 games at a time and if don't win many games I will switch up some of my lines. But I agree it's hard to win even if you have a good team one season with Montreal I had 92 offense 91 defense and 94 goaltending and I lost 20 games in a row!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Not sure about on PS4 or XBone, but on past gen the key to building a team that sims well isn't just to have lineups full of high overall guys, but to have varied player types, and guys who fit into different roles.

So if your first line is three right handed snipers, they probably won't sim as well together as a LW left handed TWF, a C LH PLY, and a RW RH SNP would even if the overalls are all exactly the same.

As far as 3rd/4th line. Putting Grinders, two way guys, guys who with high defense, high physical, good skating are good moves. Watch your special teams. The AI for setting lines is really stupid. Instead of putting your bottom 6 guys on PK, they put your best defense+physical overall players, which are usually high overall guys in your top 6 who'll already be playing huge minutes. So it's important to have strong physical+defensive type players on your bottom D pairing or in your bottom 6 so you can edit them on to your top PK unit and you aren't killing your top scorers with too many minutes.

On defense, handedness I find makes a difference. Make sure your pairings have LD/RDs together. I really wish they'd start separating guys into LD/RD in Franchise/GM mode like they do in HUT so that the "assistant coach" that edits lines will place defensive pairings together based on having a left handed guy on the left side and a righty on the right side.

I can't say this for sure, but I think the HUT formulas are beneficial for how your team sims in GM mode. IE a DFD with an OFD is most ideal, two TWDs together is the most ideal, PLY PLY SNP is ideal, etc.

A big mistake I find people make is not having a tough enough team physically. It makes a difference.

Players sim differently depending on their classifications like PLY/GRN/SNP etc. I am pretty sure what this does is tell the sim engine what they are most likely to do ranging from pass, shoot, hit, etc. A way to "prove" this is to change any high scoring PLY into a grinder and you can see they'll rack up loads of hits but their production would change dramatically. If you ever encounter an elite grinder, they might struggle to put up 60 points in NHL 15/Legacy but they'll almost always lead forwards in hits in the entire league. Change that same grinder to a PLY, all of a sudden they are scoring 90 points but putting up much less hits.

None of this stuff is proven, this is all just anecdotal from playing far too much GM mode over the last few years.

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
From my recent playthroughs, it seems having high overall players at all positions actually hinders your team as far as morale goes. The lower your team chemistry, the more your team is likely to underperform and vice versa, although I think it might be a little too exaggerated. I've had teams with basically the same roster win the Presidents' Trophy with 85-88 chemistry and then barely make the playoffs the year after with 77-79 chemistry (take into account the positive growth of 90% of my team).

I won 4 cups in 6 years with my San Francisco Eagles by basically filling the lines with players that fit the role. One of my center would get a boost in overall and be listed as a 2nd line center, meaning I now had two ? Keep the youngest, trade the eldest, boom voila. Repeat throughout the whole roster and it actually makes your team quite resilient and skilled.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
Offensive Awareness is the most important stat in the game as far as getting points goes. If you have a 90+ overall player with 83 offensive awareness, they'll very likely not sim well unless they have 95+ shooting category. Meanwhile, if you have an 82 overall player with 90+ offensive awareness, they'll probably be a regular 60+ point getter regardless of how good their individual offensive stats are. This is especially true for defenseman - find the ones with high offensive awareness and they'll be Norris candidates.

For Stanley Cups, I'm still struggling. I've drafted/developed rosters with 7 90+ overall forwards, and get beat in the first round (I still had at least one Top 2 defenseman and a 85/86 overall goalie). It seems that the teams that beat me are bad in the regular season and filled with 83-86 overalls.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Handedness for defencemen along with having at least two offensive (puckmoving) defencemen has been key for me, when it comes to getting results.

Also a solid top-3 centers.

Goalies seem to make no, or very little, difference in franchise mode.

Squints09

Feb 22, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
30 New Teams

I'm doing a 30 team relocation thing as well and need team ideas. I have the Hartford Whalers, Seattle Wolves, and teams for Juneau(capital of Alaska), Honolulu(capital of Hawaii), Paris, London, Tokyo, and Madrid. Any other ideas?

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
16819463_1470918299587772_3304212944416206400_o.jpg

17015911_1470918606254408_5313174503766077503_o.jpg

16903364_1470918896254379_7290013893120472690_o.jpg

16992453_1470919082921027_3409951444120325110_o.jpg

16825955_1470919256254343_6119023715841038660_o.jpg

16992442_1470919559587646_4040849160760674920_o.jpg

17015735_1470919686254300_8152543731461858562_o.jpg

Be free to edit the jerseys the way you like them.

Lescanadiens99

Aug 23, 2016
Canada
Havent seen a gm log in awhile so im gonna do one :)

BREAKING: Detroit Red Wings General Manager steps down!​

105296706.jpg

In a rather suprising turn of events, the Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland has decided to step down as General Manager of the team, the ownership group has named Paul Cheeno, Manager of a Superior International Junior Hockey team as his replacement. Ken Holland has served as Detroits GM since 1997, 20 years he says were the “best 20 years of my life, but time for a changeâ€.

Hockey Central​

a9iTKQ2E.jpeg

James Duthie: "Hello there fans around the world, this is Hockey central with Pierre Mcguire and Bob Mackenzie, I am James Duthie. Now the main piece of news in the hockey world as of late is the situation in Detroit, Bob what is your take on all the controversy surrounding the Wings?"

Bob: "Well James it is a weird one, Ken Holland stepping down shocked the hockey world, and once we thought we couldn't be suprised anymore the Wings ownership group announces they will be replacing the great Ken Holland with a rookie GM from a leauge people have rarely heard of, which has lots of Detroit fans very worried, now thats not to try and rain on Paul Cheenos parade, he managed his team in the SIJHL to 3 championships in 4 years. I believe there was candidates that may have been safer options than taking the gamble on a rookie especially with such a delicate situation over there in Detroit, but if Cheeno can live up to the potential he has shown this could be an out of the park swing for Detroit."

James: "Yes Bob as analysts i think we can all agree we have heard Paul Cheenos name in whispers around the NHL and it was only a matter of time before he took over a franchise as GM. Until next time on Hockey Central, Im James Duthie."

Detroit Preseason Press Conference

latest

Firstly, welcome to Detroit Paul.

"Thank you. Its an honour to be Managing a team with such history and such a beautiful city. Now i ask that all questions are about hockey and nothing else, thank you."

Paul, The team is in a bit of a sticky situation with many people believing a rebuild is needed, any big plans for the team?

"I have looked this roster over many many times, and i believe even without Pavel Datsyuk, that this team has the core pieces to be a very good team, for the next few years, we will be focused on winning."

There has been talks that the Red Wings are having a goalie controversy, is there a clear cut starter in your eyes or is there a competition for the #1 spot?

"Obviously any goaltender can come out of nowhere and steal the show, but for now Peter (Mrazek) is going to be our guy to begin the season."

Any signings or trades in the works before the regular season begins?

"Nothing to spectacular, I like the squad we have. I have contacted a few teams just for estimates on players but no serious talks just yet."

Thank you for your time Paul, and best of luck to you.

Preseason

Preseason Game 1 vs Florida

Detroit+Red+Wings+v+Florida+Panthers+X8WwJVnU9pll.jpg

LW|C|RW
Vanek|Larkin|Mantha
Tatar|Nielsen|Nyquist
Helm|Athanasiou|Glendening
Abdelkader|Sheahan|Franzen

LD|RD
Kronwall|Green
DeKeyser|Ericsson
Smith|Marchenko
Mrazek Will start.​

The first preseason game of Paul Cheenos NHL career starts off with a bang with the third and fourth line each contributing goals in the first period, Darren Helm opens up the scoring with 16:54 left in the first with a weak wrist shot from the point that fooled Roberto Luongo. Less than 20 seconds later Justin Abdelkader made it 2-0 for the Wings with a beautiful wrist shot from in front of the net. No more than 2 minutes later Athanasiou lights the lamp again for the Red Wings putting them up 3-0, Mrazek stops 12 shots and has made no mistakes through 20. The second period goes scoreless and Mrazek remains perfect through 40 minutes with 23 saves. Detroit comes out swinging in the third with 4 goals in a 10 minute span and Mrazek records the 28 save shut-out. The third and fourth lines produced extremely well in the 7-0 defeat of the Panthers contributing 6 goals. The player who is believed to be being watched heavily by not only Detroit but other teams as well is Anthony Mantha who had a sub-par game playing on the first line RW he went pointless and was an even +/- in 17 minutes on the ice.

Preseason Game 2 vs Boston

carl-soderberg-henrik-zetterberg-nhl-boston-bruins-detroit-red-wings-590x900.jpg

LW|C|RW
Helm|Athanasiou|Jurco*
Vanek|Larkin|Nyquist
Tatar|Nielsen|Mantha*
Abdelkader|Sheahan|Franzen
No changes on D, Mrazek to start again.​
*=Players under the radar.​

In what was a very hyped up game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Boston Bruins turned into a goalie duel for the better part of two periods, until Riley Sheahan lit the lamp with 8 minutes remaining in the second, Peter Mrazek has not allowed a goal in 5 periods so far this preseason. Make that 6 periods. Peter Mrazek has only played two games and has already left no doubt in anyones mind about who the starter is in Detroit, Marchenko added a slapshot goal from the point with 4 minutes left in the third and the Red Wings take the game 2-0. A story coming out of the pre-season so far for Detroit is the lack luster play of Anthony Mantha who through 2 games and about 30 minutes total time on ice has 0 points and an even +/- rating, the Red wings have high hopes he can become a top 6 winger for them in the future, but his poor play has all but sealed his fate. Expect him to be cut from the team within a few days. Another story on the opposite end of the spectrum is the play of Darren Helm who has a goal and 4 assists in 2 preseason games so far. The other forward winger to watch, Thomas Jurco has already been slightly better than his main competition (Anthony Mantha) in half as many games sporting a +1 and 0 points in 17 minutes of ice time.

Confirmed: Detroit signs Joni Ortio to one year $1.2M contract
Confirmed with link: Detroit trades Matt Lorito, Nick Jensen to Anaheim for a 2018 7th round pick.
Confirmed with link: Detroit trades Filip Hronek, Joakim Andersson to the New York Islanders in exchange for a 2017 5th round pick.

Preseason game 3 vs Toronto

5962882.jpg

LW|C|RW
Tatar|Zetterberg|Nyquist
Vanek|Larkin|Mantha
Helm|Nielsen|Abdelkader
Franzen|Sheahan|Jurco
No changes on D, Howard to start.

Howards first start of the preseason gets off to a good start and we leave the first period scoreless. It seems as if we will go 2 periods without a goal until a screened Howard cant see a Peter Holland wrist shot and Toronto takes a 1-0 lead going into the third period. It doesnt take long for the Wings to come back as a Larkin slapper from the point beats Andersen and ties the game at 1 a piece 3 minutes into the third. Just as it seems the game will be going into overtime a clutch Justin Abdelkader backhands a shot from the faceoff dot and somehow beats Andersen, taking the lead for the Wings with 25 seconds remaining in the third period. Howard doesnt allow another goal and has a solid game allowing only one goal on 26 shots. The Red Wings did good by Anthony Mantha giving him one more game to prove he can produce at the NHL level but he has done nothing to give Paul Cheeno any reason to keep him in the big leauge this year, expect him to get sent down within a day of this game. Another young winger failing to impress is Thomas Jurco, though he has not been given nearly as much ice time or opportunity as Mantha, he still has not produced at the level needed to make the Wings roster this year, expect Jurco and Mantha to be sent down and for Cheeno to find a solid prospect center to help them dominate in Grand Rapids.

Confirmed with link:Detroit sends Anthony Mantha, Thomas Jurco to Grand Rapids, recalls Teemu Pulkkinen, Joni Ortio

Preseason game 4 vs Tampa

nhl-detroit-red-wings-tampa-bay-lightning-stanley-cup-playoffs-2016.jpg

LW|C|RW
Tatar|Zetterberg|Nyquist
Vanek|Larkin|Pulkkinen
Helm|Nielsen|Abdelkader
Franzen|Sheahan|Athanasiou
No changes on D, Mrazek to start.

After being scratched for the last game, Andreas Athanasiou comes back and two minutes into the first has himself a nice snapshot goal from right in front of the net, JT Brown ties it up for tampa about a minute later but with 10 minutes left in the first, Gustav Nyquist scores off the wall and takes the lead for Detroit. Dylan Larkin's wrist shot from the hash marks gives Detroit a 2 goal lead 5 minutes into the second, but before the period ends Cedric Paquette forces one past Mrazek in the blue paint and brings Tampa within 1, 3-2 at the end of the second. A very quiet third period until the final 2 minutes when a Henrik Zetterberg wrist shot goes bar down on Vasilevskiy and gives Detroit a 4-2 win. Peter Mrazek has another good game and it will be his last of the preseason so Detroit can get the backup situation 100% figured out, as for young sniper Teemu Pulkkinen he had a disappointing first game with a -1 and 0 points, the Red Wings may just send him back down as a good season in the AHL could raise his value, its hard to say if he will get another shot this year as Detroit seemed uninterested in giving the young right winger a shot at the start of this preseason but with Mantha and Jurco both being sent back down they were obligated to give him atleast one game.

Confirmed:Detroit signs Matt Cullen to 1 year $1.5M contract, signs Matt Cooke and R.J. Umberger each to PTO's
Confirmed:Detroit sends RW Teemu Pulkkinen, LW Steve Ott to Grand Rapids

Preseason game 5 vs Buffalo

drew-miller-matt-ellis-nhl-detroit-red-wings-buffalo-sabres-590x900.jpg

LW|C|RW
Tatar|Zetterberg|Nyquist
Vanek|Larkin|Nielsen
Helm|Sheahan|Abdelkader
Athanasiou|Cullen|Glendening
No changes on D, Howard to start.

In a game where Howard needs to impress, he does what he needs to stopping all 8 shots that were put on net in the first period while Detroits extremely deep forward core lights up Robin Lehner with 3 goals on 15 shots, 3-0 Detroit going into the second period. Jimmy Howard's second period is not as good, allowing 2 goals by Brian Gionta and Jach Eichel and the Detroit offense cant get anything going, Detroit barely clings to there 1 goal lead going into the third. A relatively quiet second period until the Captain Henrik Zetterberg shoots right from the faceoff, fooling Lehner and giving the Wings a two goal lead they would hold on to for the rest of the game. It was a dominant showing by the Wings who outshot Buffalo 39-26. The forward core of the Detroit Red Wings is one of the deepest in the NHL and with the Matt Cullen signing it seems the Wings are going to do some serious offensive damage this year.

Confirmed:Detroit sends Andreas Athanasiou to Grand Rapids.

Preseason game 6 vs Montreal

9428338.jpg

LW|C|RW
Tatar|Zetterberg|Nyquist
Vanek|Larkin|Nielsen
Helm|Sheahan|Franzen
Cooke|Cullen|Umberger
No changes on D, Ortio to start.

This is a big game for Joni Ortio who many thought would not even get a contract this season, and he does not make a good impression in his first period allowing 2 goals on 9 shots. His second period is slightly better, but not much as a Max Pacioretty wrist shot beats him top shelf, Gustav Nyquist trys to spark Detroit with a wrist shot goal on Montoya. The third period starts 3-1 for Montreal. Johan Franzen brings Detroit within 1 but a McCarron tip in front of the net buries Detroit who lose 4-2. Joni Ortio did not impress even slightly putting the pressure on himself to have an extremely good final preseason game. Neither Matt Cooke nor R.J. Umberger had good games so expect one, if not both, PTO's to be ended within a few days.

Confirmed:R.J. Umberger returns to free agent status, PTO ended by Detroit.
Confirmed with link: Detroit trades RW Zach Nastasiuk to Calgary in exchange for C Linden Vey
Confirmed:Detroit signs Marek Zidlicky to 1 year $900,000 contract.

Final preseason game vs Ottawa

ottawa-senators-v-detroit-red-wings13.jpg

LW|C|RW
Tatar|Zetterberg|Nyquist
Vanek|Larkin|Nielsen
Helm|Sheahan|Abdelkader
Glendening|Cullen|Franzen
No changes on D, Ortio to start.

In a huge game for Ortio to prove himself, he has a solid first period not allowing any goals on 8 shots while the recently dressed Glendening snipes one past Craig Anderson giving Detroit a 1-0 lead to start the second. The second period sees a goal for either side with Ceci tying the game 30 seconds into the second but Nyquist taking back the lead no more than two minutes later. In an intense third period the Sens and Wings could not beat each others goaltenders until Franzen broke the silence with 44 seconds remaining with a slapper from 12 feet out that beat Anderson on his glove side. The story of Detroits preseason seems to be their depth offensively, and their solid goaltending. Detroit looks to be a dangerous team this year going 6-1-0 in the preseason. Even though Joni Ortio had a very solid game he is still a fairly shakey goaltender and will more than likely begin the regular season in Grand Rapids with a team Paul Cheeno has quietly made a monster with the acquisition of Linden Vey and the signing of Marek Zidlicky and Ortio, Grand Rapids is a powerhouse team in the AHL, just as Paul Cheeno planned.

Confirmed:Joni Ortio placed on waivers by Detroit, Claimed by Washington.

Post-Preseason Press conference

gotti1.gif

After a very good preseason for Detroit is there any players your targeting or are you going to keep the team together for this year?

"Well i wont make a trade just to make one, any trade we make needs to make sense and make us stronger in some way or theres no reason for us to do it, im always looking at players and making calls to see the prices but there is no reason for us to go out and mess up the chemistry with the team playing so well in preseason."

You seemed to really focus on making Grand Rapids a stronger team to start their season, the popular opinion is that they will be a powerhouse in the AHL, what was your reasoning for putting so much into the farm team?

"Well we have some guys down there that we believe have the potential to be real difference makers on our team in the coming years, but we did not see what we wanted to see from them this preseason. We think if they are winning games and dominating the minors it will speed up the process as we have guys that are getting older and need players coming up as quickly as possible."

Your prospect pool is fairly weak when it comes to defense and goaltending will you be making trades this year to try and address that?

"If the right prospect can come our way in a deal that is strengthening our team then absolutely but i wont be actively searching for prospects to trade for."

With Joni Ortio being claimed on waivers what is your plan for goaltending in Grand Rapids?

"We think Tim McCollum can get the job done and we are going to give him a shot. If he cant prove to us early on he can be the starter we will start looking for other options."

Thank you for your time, Paul and we will see you at the season opener.

NEXT: DETROIT RED WINGS SEASON 1

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
How the heck do you guys stop the CPU from scoring 5 goals on 12 shots every game?

Squints09

Feb 22, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
GM Squints Winnipeg Jets Franchise Mode Log

Note: Not using the latest roster update
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff Out, GM Squints In
The Winnipeg Jets management and fans are fed up with the lack of a Stanley Cup. This triggered management to bring in GM Squints. Not much is known about the young GM other than the fact he has a plan. When asked his strategy he replied "We're going to pull and Edmonton." The new GM, after looking at the rosters, noted that many of the current players will not be here come trade deadline. "I plan to build a team around our 2016 2nd overall draft pick, Patrick Laine. I would like the headlines to become 'Laine vs Matthews' not 'Crosby vs Ovechkin.'" "In fact," he concluded, "don't be surprised if I make some moves in the first 48 hours."

Squints09

Feb 22, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The first thing accomplished is an 8 year deal with MTS Centre
Afterwards he made several trades:
The :jets acquire several players however Mr. Logger over there deleted the files of the trades. Sorry for the inconvience:(

The :jets acquire 2 2017 2nd round picks, a 2018 2nd round pick, a 2018 3rd round pick, and RW Kasperi Kapanen, while the :leafs acquire RW Blake Wheeler(50% retained)

The :jets acquire RW Nick Baptiste, a 2017 2nd round pick and a 2017 3rd round from the :Sabres in exchange for a 2018 4th round pick and Mark Scheifele

Shortly after GM Squints said "That's all for tonight, you can stop checking Twitter every minute and go to bed."

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't know what I'm doing, but as Long as I had Toews and Kane it was easy to simulate and win.

Seen 83 Overall Crosby scoring 65 Points at the Age of 37.

What's the reason for this? Like a code about some guys that will be "winners"? I've won the Cup multiple times simulating and don't Messing with the Team.

I know about roles and stuff like that, I look for the off & def averness paired with disciplin and Skating.
Just not sure why I'm good sometimes and others I just suck

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Gonna try taking one decently far (10 seasons) as I have yet to.. started one as Carolina, 1st season missed the playoffs --> drafted Cal Foote, and traded for Evander Kane (traded Brett Pesce, Aleksi Saarela and a 2nd), Ben Bishop and Andrej Sustr (cost Cam Ward, Jaccob Slavin and a 1st). Also signed Justin Schultz and Michael Kempny. Season 2, barely miss the playoffs --> no 1st from the Bishop deal, team relocates to Regina and becomes the Royals.. Traded Jordan Staal for Jakob Chychrun straight-up, then successfully offersheeted Eichel (cost 2 firsts a 2nd and a 3rd).. here's the season 3 lineup:

Kane / Eichel / Skinner
Teravainen / Rask / Lindholm
Di Giussepe / Roy / Zykov
Nordstrom / Aho / Nestrasil

Hanifin / Faulk
Schultz / Sustr
Chychrun / Kempny

Bishop
Lack

Squints09

Feb 22, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Several more trades have happened:

The :jets acquire a 2017 4th round pick and a 2017 5th round pick while the :ducks acquire LW Chris Thorburn and RW Ryan Reaves

The :jets acquire a 2017 5th round pick and the :pens receive D Brian Strait

The :jets acquire a 2017 1st round pick, a 2017 3rd round pick, 2017 4th round pick, a 2017 5th round pick, and a 2017 6th round pick, while the :flames receive C Bryan Little

The :jets get a 2017 1st round pick and a 2017 5th round pick, while the :rangers get RW Drew Stafford and D Toby Enstrom

The :jets acquire a 2017 2nd round pick, while the :stars recieve LW Matthieu Perreault

The :jets receive a 2017 3rd round pick, 2017 4th round pick, a 2017 5th round pick, and a 2017 6th round pick, while the :edmonton get LW Shawn Matthias and D Ben Chiarot

The :jets get a 2017 1st round pick and a 2017 2nd round pick, while the :kings get RW Nikolaj Ehlers

The :jets get a 2017 1st round pick and the :devils receive D Jacob Trouba

The :jets receive a 2017 4th round pick and a 2017 5th round pick and the :isles get C Jonh Albert LW Anthony Peluso D Paul Postma

The :jets get 2 2017 3rds and the :sharks get G Ondrej Pavelec(50% retained) and RW Quinton Howden

The GM stated "The lines are nothing special, I just hit best lines. We are trying to tank and EA is bad at providing lines for winning"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad