NHL 17 Franchise Mode

Squints09

Feb 22, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The :jets sign free agents Christian Ehrhoff(14.6 million, 1 year), C Mike Richards(14.6 million, 1 year), and LW Alex Tanguay(14.6 million, 1 year).

When asked GM Squints states "I may or may not have had to sign these players because I may or may not have gotten a call from the league saying I was under the cap, like way under."

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't understand it, I simulate and whatever I do I win without a stacked roster or even a super star. On the other savegame, I wasn't able to win anything with the same Settings and having a stacked roster with perfect roles and Superstars.

Squints09

Feb 22, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Gonna try taking one decently far (10 seasons) as I have yet to.. started one as Carolina, 1st season missed the playoffs --> drafted Cal Foote, and traded for Evander Kane (traded Brett Pesce, Aleksi Saarela and a 2nd), Ben Bishop and Andrej Sustr (cost Cam Ward, Jaccob Slavin and a 1st). Also signed Justin Schultz and Michael Kempny. Season 2, barely miss the playoffs --> no 1st from the Bishop deal, team relocates to Regina and becomes the Royals.. Traded Jordan Staal for Jakob Chychrun straight-up, then successfully offersheeted Eichel (cost 2 firsts a 2nd and a 3rd).. here's the season 3 lineup:

Kane / Eichel / Skinner
Teravainen / Rask / Lindholm
Di Giussepe / Roy / Zykov
Nordstrom / Aho / Nestrasil

Hanifin / Faulk
Schultz / Sustr
Chychrun / Kempny

Bishop
Lack

Saarela becomes really good, like a 90 0verall(well at least for me).

Last edited:

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I'm in year 2033-2034, and I lost in the first round with a STACKED roster! I'm so confused...

I just went 56-22-4 (116 President's Trophy winning season). 1st in GF; 1st in GA.

This is my roster (7 forwards listed as 1st liners, 3 "Top 2" defenders):

LW SNI 94 - C PLY 87 - RW PWF 87
LW SNI 87 - C PLY 85 - RW SNI 87
RW TWF 86 - C TWF 88 - RW TWF 91
LW PWF 83 - C TWF 82 - LW PLY 81

OFD 90 - OFD 90
TWD 91 - OFD 87
DFD 83 - OFD 81

HYB 96

I'm so frustrated by this game.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I'm in year 2033-2034, and I lost in the first round with a STACKED roster! I'm so confused...

I just went 56-22-4 (116 President's Trophy winning season). 1st in GF; 1st in GA.

OFD 90 - OFD 90
TWD 91 - OFD 87
DFD 83 - OFD 81

HYB 96

It's because you've got no grinders:sarcasm:

The simming in this game seems broken at times. I've had a team similar (not quite as stacked team miss the playoffs. My top 4 defenders were 88+ and my top 6 was all 87+

Iamtheliquor*

Dec 15, 2015
I've just set up a fantasy draft with the senators. The owner has a pretty small budget for player salaries so it's quite the challenge.

My current cap hit is 60.905m.
Cap space = 12.011.

I'm 10 games in with a 5-3-2 Record. Here are my lines:

Ratings are OFF = 89, DEF = 92, GOA = 87

Saad Turris Tatar
Grabner Zetterberg Lewis
Beleskey Dubinsky Eaves
Burrows Sissions Nieto
Byron

Stone Karlsson
Hanifin Petry
Chairot Bartkowski
C.Wideman

Murray
Johnson

I actually drafted M.Koivu for my 2nd line center but I traded him to the Hurricanes for Zetterberg and a 3rd round pick. (Trading is on easy) I picked up about 600k in cap space and a 3rd plus Zetterberg seems to have better chemistry with my team for whatever reason.

I'll sim probably 60% of the games. So far goals have been hard to come by but I expected that with such a cheap roster and not many young snipers in my system.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't find it via a search. How do I release players that are on my AHL team, but not signed to an NHL contract?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Started a new save with Anaheim, where I promptly got rid of pretty much the whole current NHL team aside from Gibson and Cogliano.

Got a bunch of young guns + filled out all the gaps left open with trash I found in free agency.

The goal was to finish last to get the first pick.

Turns out I not only made the playoffs, but also won the Stanley Cup...

The following season my young guns had improved a lot, swiped up the best players in free agency and also dealt a lot of first rounders for even more great younger players. Goal: repeat the SC win.

Won 24 games all season long, dead last in the NHL.

Realism in NHL17 = 0.0

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't find it via a search. How do I release players that are on my AHL team, but not signed to an NHL contract?

You can't release them. They are only there because you didn't have enough players to fill out your AHL team so the computer puts them on the team. It also happens if you only have 4 goalies and one gets hurt the computer automatically picks one for your AHL team. It's stupid because if they don't play they get pissed off and morale goes down. Another reason to get rid of that bs morale system.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

OFD 90 - OFD 90
TWD 91 - OFD 87
DFD 83 - OFD 81

HYB 96

91 in line 3 has to be bad for morale as is having a 91 on the 2nd Pairing? 88 on line 3.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
How the heck do you win fights against the AI?

I win like 10% of them and just got tuned by Chris friggin' Letang even though I used Reaves from St Louis...wtf.

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
How the heck do you win fights against the AI?

I win like 10% of them and just got tuned by Chris friggin' Letang even though I used Reaves from St Louis...wtf.

Adjust the the slider under the AI settings. It's ******** much like the rest of the game is. I would still like to know how my goalie in my current franchise Braden Holtby who's rated 88 ovr lets in 4 goals on 10 shots one game then the next game he lets in 3 goals on 4 shots it's un****ingbelievable while the goalie I play against stops pretty much every shot and he's rated 75.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
got to all 25 Seasons and the ending is a bit - undeserving. Just that Little pop-up saying you're done.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I have a question. In season 1 of my franchise I traded someone (I think it was Craig Anderson) and retained $1.5M in the deal. That $1.5M is still on the books in season 5.

Did I do something wrong or is it just a glitch? It's not a huge deal for me because I always trade established (ie, potentially expensive) guys for up and coming young players on cheap deals so I always have about $7M in cap space, but it's annoying to see that $1.5M just sitting there.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I have a question. In season 1 of my franchise I traded someone (I think it was Craig Anderson) and retained $1.5M in the deal. That $1.5M is still on the books in season 5.

Did I do something wrong or is it just a glitch? It's not a huge deal for me because I always trade established (ie, potentially expensive) guys for up and coming young players on cheap deals so I always have about $7M in cap space, but it's annoying to see that $1.5M just sitting there.

I think this is a bug. It might have to do with players retiring with years left and having salary retained. I think sometimes it shows up in your contracts but it is superficial and isn't actually being counted. I am on Legacy though, so it might be an entirely different bug if you're on NHL 17.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Adjust the the slider under the AI settings. It's ******** much like the rest of the game is. I would still like to know how my goalie in my current franchise Braden Holtby who's rated 88 ovr lets in 4 goals on 10 shots one game then the next game he lets in 3 goals on 4 shots it's un****ingbelievable while the goalie I play against stops pretty much every shot and he's rated 75.

Yeah, a lit of stats don't really seem to matter.

Nhl17 is one confusing game..

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
Yeah I know

I also don't get why it has a limit like that

After like 2 years everything is like randomly generated so.

And even though everything is randomly generated, you'll still see players like Stefan Matteau playing for the Habs in 2026 but guys like Crosby end their careers with the Sabres and retire at 34.

Props EA.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't understand it, I simulate and whatever I do I win without a stacked roster or even a super star. On the other savegame, I wasn't able to win anything with the same Settings and having a stacked roster with perfect roles and Superstars.

Exact Opposite for me, can't win anything. I usually play the 1st period get a lead then quit to sim the rest.

IglooBoy

CH fan in Flamesland
May 14, 2009
Calgary via Montreal
Exact Opposite for me, can't win anything. I usually play the 1st period get a lead then quit to sim the rest.

I do the opposite. Sim first two periods and usually part of the third then join in.

I like how (I play as Mtl) Price lets in three or four goals almost every game. Had a gaa of 3 or more from Sept through Feb.

Anyone else notice the goalie stats don't add up? 60+ games into the season. Price has 22 wins. Montoya has 5. Only used those two. I have a record with 35+ wins.

At one point Price actually got a shutout and his stats showed 0 shutouts on the season.

Still haven't figured out scouting. Really could use more scouts. Would make logical sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad