Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The latter is almost certain to happen. Which goes back to the point about risks for any candidate accepting the job.

Most guys who coach during a rebuild are let go so that a team can then bring in a new coach to "help get the team over the top."

Coaches know this and understand this. They're also going to factor that into their negotiations.

I think there's some amount of 'how big of a rebuild is this'. If they turn it around faster than expected, maybe Quinn has a shot at being that guy in on the rebound. Is this a "miss the playoffs for 3 years" kind of rebuild, or rebound after 1-2 years and be gunning to be competitive kind of rebuild. Gorton has seemed to indicate they at least hope it will be a quick one but won't short cut to make that happen

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Or maybe he always wanted to be here, but was just using a fairly standard and traditional negotiating tactic?
Tell me, has nobody here ever turned down the first offer from a job, but accepted it after a negotiation?

I actually did the same last year. I got an offer but knew I was the only candidate. Held out on the first and 2nd offer and in the end I managed to get 40% more than the initial offer.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I feel like quite a few people here have never negotiated for a job, period.
That's a shame, I think. You should always negotiate. Worst case, nothing happens and you're where you started. If someone thinks you're the right fit for a role, it's not like they are suddenly going to take the original offer off the table because you had the "audacity" to ask for a little more.

If you don't feel comfortable and just want to keep it reasonable for any job (say under 5%), you're likely to get a yes on the spot.

Personally, I'm always very aggressive. If I was in Quinn's shoes, I would have done the exact same thing. Leak that you're likely to stay and spread some stuff about not wanting to leave your "dream job". If the Rangers had countered with 10 mil/5 years instead of 12, I probably would have asked for even more.

Negotiating is often the most valuable 15 minutes you'll ever spend. Nowhere else can you rack up that much money in so little time. Quinn extracted an extra _4 million_ (or about double what the average American earns in a lifetime) by waiting a couple of days and not immediately saying yes to the Rangers. If his rumored salary in the NCAA is true (500k), then that's an extra 8 years of salary he got by doing the ole' song and dance.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Why the hell does anyone care what we pay our staff?

The Rangers are the richest organization in the league and thankfully have an owner who essentially has a blank check for the team each year. Coach's salaries don't count against the cap. So who cares?

If he's our guy, pay him 10 million a year, it makes no difference whatsoever.

One of the (only?) benefits of being Rangers fans is we know our organization is beyond flush with money and is willing to spend whatever it takes. We don't have to worry about actual salary vs cap hit like the Sens or Ducks or whoever else and don't have to worry about staff costs like the Canes or others.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is a simplistic study that doesn’t account for injuries or anything but if you look at all forwards who played 400+ minutes this year (excluding guys who played for multiple teams because they are hard to deal with) and if you remove the top six forward scorers on each team...

Vegas ranks: 15/31 in “Depth PPG” and 10/31 in “Depth Pts/60” so tell me a little bit more about how great their depth is and that’s why they win. Oh and WPG ranks first in Depth pts/60 and it’s by a very large margin (difference between wpg and the team in 2nd - TOR - is the same as TOR and STL - 14th)

Vegas Depth production is a sham they are one of the top heavier teams in the league it just feels weird since it’s from random players mostly that you wouldn’t expect.

OK I understand what you mean. But hockey is about other things than scoring. Look at a Kyle Connor for example, he didn’t win his match in the match against his counter part on Vegas. But sure, he probably scored more points during the regular season than ‘that guy’ on the Vegas team.

Vegas won that series because they just skated and worked Winnipeg into the ground. Winnipeg looked heavy while Vegas had energy left. I think that was pretty obvious — right?

On Will Karlsson, I saw an interview with his dad. He said that his g/f changed him, he is a lot more comfortable and mature since he met her. She is some kind of reality star, real looker. Will he keep being one of the top scorers in the league? Of course not, not top 3-5 at least. But it is what it is, sometimes some score more. Of course a lot of things have come together for Vegas and it’s great that they reached he finals.

My point is just — IMO it’s complete BS that they have a crap roster and only is the result of a coach. I called that they would be good before he season due to the fact that they have great depth, very competent depth players. I am not at all as impressed by Winnipeg’s depth, no matter how many points they scored. A lot of bigger heavier guys. Armia and co. Especially in the West we have seen how that can pay off during the regular season, you can get a hold of the other team. Like Eric Staal. But among the better teams — I don’t think that depth is optimal. JMHO.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If in fact it is Qiunn, hiring a collegiate coach before the draft makes sense. He is going to have certain insights into some of the players.

Definitely, I always think it’s very valuable to get insight from people picking these kids to play ‘now’ besides the scouts thinking a few years down the road.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel like quite a few people here have never negotiated for a job, period.
It's funny because I'm in HR, I have my certifications, I run the department for a company that has offices in three countries, etc., so I'm pretty well-versed in things. Before I got into HR I worked in labor relations for a few different unions. The first four or five jobs I had, I was green, I never even considered negotiating over my terms of employment (despite literally doing exactly that on a collective basis for union employees).

Then once I really stepped into HR, in a management role and actually had to handle full-cycle recruiting and hiring, I saw that basically EVERYONE was negotiating over base salary, bonus, PTO days, whatever. It actually got to the point where when people didn't try to negotiate for anything beyond what I offered them, it made me hesitate--like, why is this person not negotiating? Are they actually unemployed and desperate? Are they employed but afraid they're going to get fired? Are they just completely unfamiliar with the process? Stupid?

Basically every job that I've filled in my career where I can look back and say, "That person is/was really great, good job, 2k2!", those people negotiated the hell out of me. Some of them to the point where I considered pulling the offer all together. But the point is, the big guys, the heavy hitters, the guys who are really good at what they do and know it, they will negotiate for better terms than initially offered. And they know if they don't get it from you, it's only a matter of time before they get it from someone else.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's a shame, I think. You should always negotiate. Worst case, nothing happens and you're where you started. If someone thinks you're the right fit for a role, it's not like they are suddenly going to take the original offer off the table because you had the "audacity" to ask for a little more.

If you don't feel comfortable and just want to keep it reasonable for any job (say under 5%), you're likely to get a yes on the spot.

Personally, I'm always very aggressive. If I was in Quinn's shoes, I would have done the exact same thing. Leak that you're likely to stay and spread some stuff about not wanting to leave your "dream job". If the Rangers had countered with 10 mil/5 years instead of 12, I probably would have asked for even more.

Negotiating is often the most valuable 15 minutes you'll ever spend. Nowhere else can you rack up that much money in so little time. Quinn extracted an extra _4 million_ (or about double what the average American earns in a lifetime) by waiting a couple of days and not immediately saying yes to the Rangers. If his rumored salary in the NCAA is true (500k), then that's an extra 8 years of salary he got by doing the ole' song and dance.
This is all exactly true.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why the hell does anyone care what we pay our staff?

The Rangers are the richest organization in the league and thankfully have an owner who essentially has a blank check for the team each year. Coach's salaries don't count against the cap. So who cares?

If he's our guy, pay him 10 million a year, it makes no difference whatsoever.

One of the (only?) benefits of being Rangers fans is we know our organization is beyond flush with money and is willing to spend whatever it takes. We don't have to worry about actual salary vs cap hit like the Sens or Ducks or whoever else and don't have to worry about staff costs like the Canes or others.

That's why I think it's hilarious that nevesis of all people is bringing it up haha. It doesn't count against the salary cap so who cares?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Glad to see the hot takes are as stupid as ever.

Non-sarcastically glad to see numerous people attempt to shut that crap down.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It’s peak HFNYR to see people complaining about how much money the coach makes rather than their coaching abilities.
The vibe I'm getting from this group of fans is less about the dollar amount and more about "who does he think he is, and why do we have to convince someone to take this dream job he should be begging us to let him come here"

Reactions: nyr2k2

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
That's why I think it's hilarious that nevesis of all people is bringing it up haha. It doesn't count against the salary cap so who cares?

I just think it's odd that when Alain Vigneault was hired, he came in with a resume of success coaching at the NHL level, and signed a 5 year deal, worth $10 million.

Quinn has zero NHL head coaching experience and was offered $8 million for 5 years, and it wasn't enough. So now, he's at $12 million for the same amount of years as a seasoned NHL coach.

I know Vigneault was hired 5 years ago, inflation, etc...but it still seems like a lot of money for a guy trying to prove himself for the first time at the highest level possible.

It also seems like an extreme over payment for the person who was most likely second on their list of coaching candidates.

It seemed from other reports that Montgomery was their first choice, and when he declined for Dallas instead, they approached Quinn.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I just think it's odd that when Alain Vigneault was hired, he came in with a resume of success coaching at the NHL level, and signed a 5 year deal, worth $10 million.

Quinn has zero NHL head coaching experience and was offered $8 million for 5 years, and it wasn't enough. So now, he's at $12 million for the same amount of years as a seasoned NHL coach.

I know Vigneault was hired 5 years ago, inflation, etc...but it still seems like a lot of money for a guy trying to prove himself for the first time at the highest level possible.

It also seems like an extreme over payment for the person who was most likely second on their list of coaching candidates.

It seemed from other reports that Montgomery was their first choice, and when he declined for Dallas instead, they approached Quinn.

Hakstol got 10M over 5 years two years ago.

So, a precedent was set.

Quinn coaches a more presitigious program and has professional coaching experience as both an AHL head coach and NHL assistant.

Again, why do you care about the money? Because, in your idealist world, people choose jobs “because they truly want them and are passionate about them”. Please. This is reality.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I really don't give a shit what the Rangers pay their coach or the rest of their coaching staff. I expect them to have a plan and to find the right people to implement that plan. If they think Quinn is the right guy they could pay him a $100 million per for all I care. It don't count against the cap and Dolan is rich as f***. And if Quinn doesn't work out--fire him and find someone else--pay the new guy even more if Dolan's okay with it. It's not that complicated.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This isn't a Tortorella in Vancouver situation IMO. Quinn isn't going to come in and half ass this because it's just a job he's taking for the money and nothing else.

For Quinn this could be the start of a bigger coaching career where he's trying to prove he can hack it at the NHL level and be an option going forward after this contract, either with the Rangers or elsewhere (more likely). He has a lot to prove and this isn't a sit back and slack now that he made it kind of thing

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

But why does it matter how much the coach gets paid? It's not part of the salary cap, it has nothing to do with player salaries. He negotiated and got paid. I honestly don't understand how you turn that into a negative. I would have done exactly the same. So he's in it for the money. Guess what, so is Lundqvist, and every other player on our team.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
But why does it matter how much the coach gets paid? It's not part of the salary cap, it has nothing to do with player salaries. He negotiated and got paid. I honestly don't understand how you turn that into a negative. I would have done exactly the same. So he's in it for the money. Guess what, so is Lundqvist, and every other player on our team.
Lundvqvist has “bled” for the team so it’s ok for us to pay him nearly 7 figures.

I think that’s how the world works.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is such a crazy issue to have with Quinn already imo.

I have a job that I like. Aside from it being the field I want to work in, it also allows me a unique degree of freedom and self-management that most jobs I've been at didn't offer. I make okay money for my experience and responsibility level. I don't really doubt that I could get paid more if I shopped around even a little bit, but if I went somewhere else I wouldn't get the lifestyle perks I currently enjoy. If another company wanted to poach me, they'd have to pay me significantly more than I currently make assuming it was a more normal schedule and management situation, which it almost certainly would be.

I totally get where he's coming from. When it's your life and your job, it's not an idealist thought experiment, it's a practical decision. It's not all about money, money is a big factor as is how the job will shape the rest of your entire life. I'm surprised people don't grasp this but I guess I shouldn't be.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is such a crazy issue to have with Quinn already imo.

I have a job that I like. Aside from it being the field I want to work in, it also allows me a unique degree of freedom and self-management that most jobs I've been at didn't offer. I make okay money for my experience and responsibility level. I don't really doubt that I could get paid more if I shopped around even a little bit, but if I went somewhere else I wouldn't get the lifestyle perks I currently enjoy. If another company wanted to poach me, they'd have to pay me significantly more than I currently make assuming it was a more normal schedule and management situation, which it almost certainly would be.

I totally get where he's coming from. When it's your life and your job, it's not an idealist thought experiment, it's a practical decision. It's not all about money, money is a big factor as is how the job will shape the rest of your entire life. I'm surprised people don't grasp this but I guess I shouldn't be.

No you shouldn’t.

Some people have been sitting on their thumbs to bash the hire no matter who it was and others have this false sense of pride with the rangers where people should feel privileged to be a part of the organization and if you don’t root for them to win even when it’s in their best interest not to, you’re not a true fan.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's funny because I'm in HR, I have my certifications, I run the department for a company that has offices in three countries, etc., so I'm pretty well-versed in things. Before I got into HR I worked in labor relations for a few different unions. The first four or five jobs I had, I was green, I never even considered negotiating over my terms of employment (despite literally doing exactly that on a collective basis for union employees).

Then once I really stepped into HR, in a management role and actually had to handle full-cycle recruiting and hiring, I saw that basically EVERYONE was negotiating over base salary, bonus, PTO days, whatever. It actually got to the point where when people didn't try to negotiate for anything beyond what I offered them, it made me hesitate--like, why is this person not negotiating? Are they actually unemployed and desperate? Are they employed but afraid they're going to get fired? Are they just completely unfamiliar with the process? Stupid?

Basically every job that I've filled in my career where I can look back and say, "That person is/was really great, good job, 2k2!", those people negotiated the hell out of me. Some of them to the point where I considered pulling the offer all together. But the point is, the big guys, the heavy hitters, the guys who are really good at what they do and know it, they will negotiate for better terms than initially offered. And they know if they don't get it from you, it's only a matter of time before they get it from someone else.

I am currently in HR as well and prior to that I ran a Home Health company where I made most of the hiring decisions. I can say that this is my experience as well. Good people are usually candidates for multiple jobs and therefore are more likely to receive multiple offers. Good people are also usually still employed and are more willing to ask for the moon, knowing that if it doesn't work out they still have their current job.

Side note, you say you have all of your certifications, do you have your PHR/SPHR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad