Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
what risk. he's got 12.5 guaranteed over the next 5 years. would take him 20 plus years to make that at BU

I think the risk was pretty well explained by myself and others in our replies. So I'll spare all of us the agony of rehashing it.

But even beyond that --- who cares? I don't mean that as flippant, but really, who cares?

It's a business negotiation, he got the best deal for himself, and that's life.

I'm not really into knocking a guy who negotiated with a team and landed himself a good deal, just like I'm not really into sneering about an expansion team because they're successful.

Whether Quinn turns out to be a great coach, or an awful one, my thoughts will likely not once drift back to his salary or a concern as to whether he loves the Rangers with all his heart.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The part I really don't understand is why his salary matters AT ALL. I can somewhat understand people discussing a players salary as there is a salary cap which the team needs to work within. Pay the coach $100m per season for all I care as it doesn't effect the cap and Dolan has a money to do it. Should we all start digging into how much their scouts make? Sather? Gorton? Allaire?

I don't really understand why it matters at all to the fanbase

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Always great getting a coach who turns down $8 million dollars to coach the freakin New York Rangers, but willing to accept $4 million more.

Sounds like a guy who REALLY wants to be here, and isn't just in it for the money.
That's just not realistic. A person being asked to leave a job he loves for a different job is going to want to be compensated. There is a price point for everything.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If in fact it is Qiunn, hiring a collegiate coach before the draft makes sense. He is going to have certain insights into some of the players.

Reactions: Ola

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The part I really don't understand is why his salary matters AT ALL. I can somewhat understand people discussing a players salary as there is a salary cap which the team needs to work within. Pay the coach $100m per season for all I care as it doesn't effect the cap and Dolan has a money to do it. Should we all start digging into how much their scouts make? Sather? Gorton? Allaire?

I don't really understand why it matters at all to the fanbase
If it does to anyone it really shouldn't. The Rangers keep raising prices on everything each year and they're not allowed to spend it on players because of a salary capped league. The Rangers could easily double the payroll and still be making more profit than half the teams in the NHL.

And people complain about the Rangers not having as much in their pocket? Say what?

Reactions: haveandare

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Boy I'll tell ya - there's some people on here who will criticize a coach for just about anything. Quinn and his agent negotiated himself some more money and the poor guy is already getting roasted. How sad and ignorant.

Anyway, if you feel the need to blame somebody about that ( and God knows why you would), how about Gorton for not casting a very wide net in his search. Quinn has the leverage and is using it.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
tl/dr; Harping on Quinn for needing a sweeter offer to steal him from his dream job is asinine. 2. Quinn is a great choice and right coach at the right time; period.

All I'll say is this:

Denigrating Quinn for having a passion, love and commitment for what is his dream job, and requiring a can't say no offer in order to steal him away, is asinine. He's human. He's not greedy nor selfish. All things equal, with their initial offer to him, he simply found it to not be enough to take him away from a role he's worked his career for and considered his dream job. So what. I can totally relate to that. But the Rangers wanted him, believed in him, and that commitment to him, confidence in him, combined with their raised offer, and he had to bite. He snatched it up. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever and it happens every day in every field and every company. Get over it.

Second; and I can't be more blunt about this to the Rangers faithful. Quinn is the right coach for this team at the right time; period. Stop being so cynical and negative. Times are changing here, and it was a rough season. It still hurts to know how it went, who we lost, and how up in the air everything is. Will we turn it around where we're instantly competitive next season? Ehh, who knows. I absolutely can't stand seeing us not be good and don't wanna wait another season or two, but that's not really up to me. What matters is we head in the right direction and make the best moves we can. I'm hoping they do the right things this offseason, and that even if we're not a playoff bound team next year, that we at least compete with heart and character.

But Quinn will help us get there. He's gonna do great with these kids and prospects and I think he will be very well respected in the locker room. Like I said, so much is changing, we feel so up in the air and destabilized. Our whole team blew up last season. And it sucks, but it is what it is. All we can do now is support the future with all our hearts, to continue being the best fans we can be, and standing behind our team and bleeding blue like we always do.

But have faith my fellow blue bloods. Don't be down on Quinn. He's gonna do a great job for us, you'll see. I promise you this. He IS the right coach and they made the right pick. I saw some earlier in this thread wanting Laviolette. Christ no. Thank god no. Keep him as far away from us as possible lol. But thankfully they chose wisely. Though I would've preferred Montgomery, Quinn is still a great choice and should be welcomed with open arms.

Ok, long winded post over lol.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Boy I'll tell ya - there's some people on here who will criticize a coach for just about anything. Quinn and his agent negotiated himself some more money and the poor guy is already getting roasted. How sad and ignorant.

Anyway, if you feel the need to blame somebody about that ( and God knows why you would), how about Gorton for not casting a very wide net in his search. Quinn has the leverage and is using it.

Pretty sure we can get a Ranger coach blamed for the JFK assassination.....

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Always great getting a coach who turns down $8 million dollars to coach the freakin New York Rangers, but willing to accept $4 million more.

Sounds like a guy who REALLY wants to be here, and isn't just in it for the money.
Or maybe he always wanted to be here, but was just using a fairly standard and traditional negotiating tactic?
Tell me, has nobody here ever turned down the first offer from a job, but accepted it after a negotiation?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
How does he have BU set up? What systems do they play? What kind of coach is this guy? Does he chew gum like his life depends on it?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
tl/dr; Harping on Quinn for needing a sweeter offer to steal him from his dream job is asinine. 2. Quinn is a great choice and right coach at the right time; period.

All I'll say is this:

Denigrating Quinn for having a passion, love and commitment for what is his dream job, and requiring a can't say no offer in order to steal him away, is asinine. He's human. He's not greedy nor selfish. All things equal, with their initial offer to him, he simply found it to not be enough to take him away from a role he's worked his career for and considered his dream job. So what. I can totally relate to that. But the Rangers wanted him, believed in him, and that commitment to him, confidence in him, combined with their raised offer, and he had to bite. He snatched it up. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever and it happens every day in every field and every company. Get over it.

Second; and I can't be more blunt about this to the Rangers faithful. Quinn is the right coach for this team at the right time; period. Stop being so cynical and negative. Times are changing here, and it was a rough season. It still hurts to know how it went, who we lost, and how up in the air everything is. Will we turn it around where we're instantly competitive next season? Ehh, who knows. I absolutely can't stand seeing us not be good and don't wanna wait another season or two, but that's not really up to me. What matters is we head in the right direction and make the best moves we can. I'm hoping they do the right things this offseason, and that even if we're not a playoff bound team next year, that we at least compete with heart and character.

But Quinn will help us get there. He's gonna do great with these kids and prospects and I think he will be very well respected in the locker room. Like I said, so much is changing, we feel so up in the air and destabilized. Our whole team blew up last season. And it sucks, but it is what it is. All we can do now is support the future with all our hearts, to continue being the best fans we can be, and standing behind our team and bleeding blue like we always do.

But have faith my fellow blue bloods. Don't be down on Quinn. He's gonna do a great job for us, you'll see. I promise you this. He IS the right coach and they made the right pick. I saw some earlier in this thread wanting Laviolette. Christ no. Thank god no. Keep him as far away from us as possible lol. But thankfully they chose wisely. Though I would've preferred Montgomery, Quinn is still a great choice and should be welcomed with open arms.

Ok, long winded post over lol.

I have a feeling that Quinn is going to do a good job with the locker room, coaching up players, bringing them along, etc, but will the ultimate gameplan be good enough to win in the NHL? Or is it will the roster be good enough? I keep going back to the negative reports of Quinn that his teams could be out gameplanned, etc. Having an effective strategy and executing it and being able to change when needed is necessary to win in the NHL. Maybe Quinn just puts the pieces into place and someone else is the guy to take the next step, I dunno.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have a feeling that Quinn is going to do a good job with the locker room, coaching up players, bringing them along, etc, but will the ultimate gameplan be good enough to win in the NHL? Or is it will the roster be good enough? I keep going back to the negative reports of Quinn that his teams could be out gameplanned, etc. Having an effective strategy and executing it and being able to change when needed is necessary to win in the NHL. Maybe Quinn just puts the pieces into place and someone else is the guy to take the next step, I dunno.

The latter is almost certain to happen. Which goes back to the point about risks for any candidate accepting the job.

Most guys who coach during a rebuild are let go so that a team can then bring in a new coach to "help get the team over the top."

Coaches know this and understand this. They're also going to factor that into their negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad