Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think that distinction goes to the Maple Laughs.
In terms of team value or wealth of the owner? If it is the former, yes. If it is the latter, I don't know of any NHL owners that have more money than James Dolan.

*Edit. I thought Dolan was wealthier than he is. $5 billion is the number I got from the last credible article I can find. So yeah, maybe not.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Some people in this thread are very much coming across as entitled. The coach should want to be part of the Rangers so badly that he doesn't negotiate his salary? In what world does this make any sense?

The Rangers are a rich franchise and can afford to throw money toward a coaching staff that they aren't allowed to spend on player salaries due to the salary cap. So they use it to lure someone away who was happy where he was. How is this a bad thing?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I am so lost on these things, are there two colleges in Boston? What is the difference between them? Does both have the hockey teams. Sometimes its BU. Sometimes its the Terriers. Sometimes its BC. I don't get it.
there's actually 4.... BC/BU/Northeastern ARE ALL IN THE SAME Conference, and Harvard all meet in the Beanpot every third weekend in March over two weeks....

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am currently in HR as well and prior to that I ran a Home Health company where I made most of the hiring decisions. I can say that this is my experience as well. Good people are usually candidates for multiple jobs and therefore are more likely to receive multiple offers. Good people are also usually still employed and are more willing to ask for the moon, knowing that if it doesn't work out they still have their current job.

Side note, you say you have all of your certifications, do you have your PHR/SPHR?
I went the "new" route and got my SHRM-SCP. My PHR certification has since lapsed. I considered keeping them both but remaining certified for one is enough of a pain, and I feel like there's a gradual shift towards SHRM's offerings anyway.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Brooks said by tomorrow

This is gonna sound like a stereotype but for the last 25ish years or so the Rangers have had that flair for Americana. Whether it's drafting and developing American players, making them captain (think Leetch, Callahan, McDonagh) and a few American coaches here and there.

Either way Quinn seems like a good hire. The Rangers are in a rebuild and will need someone who can mentor young players. The only thing they need to do is just refrain from immediately firing him

All in all congrats I hope he's a good one

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
In terms of team value or wealth of the owner? If it is the former, yes. If it is the latter, I don't know of any NHL owners that have more money than James Dolan.
Dolan isn't actually the owner though. MSG Corp is the owner, and he's the chairman because he holds supervoting shares. When his family sold off all the equity in the business to the market they sold second rate stocks that didn't have any voting or control.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dolan isn't actually the owner though. MSG Corp is the owner, and he's the chairman because he holds supervoting shares. When his family sold off all the equity in the business to the market they sold second rate stocks that didn't have any voting or control.

That seems like a technicality though...Dolan is the owner no matter what it says on paper

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

*Edit. I thought Dolan was wealthier than he is. $5 billion is the number I got from the last credible article I can find. So yeah, maybe not.

Dolan is #2, Ilitch is #1 for the NHL.

America's Richest Sports Team Owners 2017

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I only started reading on the last page of the thread - and thought we had hired Pat Quinn

:laugh:

Glad to learn that's not the case....

Reactions: nyr2k2

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Some people in this thread are very much coming across as entitled. The coach should want to be part of the Rangers so badly that he doesn't negotiate his salary? In what world does this make any sense?

The Rangers are a rich franchise and can afford to throw money toward a coaching staff that they aren't allowed to spend on player salaries due to the salary cap. So they use it to lure someone away who was happy where he was. How is this a bad thing?

It's absolute nonsense. No one is taking into account what his family and life situation is. As someone mentioned, maybe his wife has a great job in Boston. People acting like 8 year old fans who don't understand real life and just want all of their players and coaches to love the Rangers more than anything in the world. It's f***ing embarrassing is what it is.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The vibe I'm getting from this group of fans is less about the dollar amount and more about "who does he think he is, and why do we have to convince someone to take this dream job he should be begging us to let him come here"

Without realizing that Quinn may have already had HIS personal dream job.

They had to ante up to pry him away. They really wanted him. Even if Montgomery was their first choice, it says a lot that they were willing to make this type of commitment over the tons of other qualified NHL/AHL/Europe/NCAA candidates.

Just because the NYR had to sweeten the pot doesn't mean Quinn doesn't want to be here, that's ludicrous.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Quinn hasn’t done anything to earn that contract is the issue. Hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t proven anything.

Got a monster contract because we missed out on the guy we actually wanted and we had TO overpay because he didn’t even want to really come here.

If everyone is cool with a nobody dictating his terms or F off to the New York Rangers then fine

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Quinn hasn’t done anything to earn that contract is the issue. Hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t proven anything.

Got a monster contract because we missed out on the guy we actually wanted and we had TO overpay because he didn’t even want to really come here.

If everyone is cool with a nobody dictating his terms or F off to the New York Rangers then fine
It’s like you make these ridiculous posts on purpose at this point.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
People complaining about the contract must not realize that there is no cap for coaches, right? There is literally no logical reason to be upset about it otherwise. If Quinn does not work out, then guess what? Dolan can/will easily just swallow it and hire someone else. Dolan is making a **** ton of money these days.

Reactions: Bozle

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

There is absolutely positively no proof that he was our 2nd choice.... prove me wrong and not with a speculative tweet.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Bozle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad