Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Wow someone vet this guy! Literally no one cares.

I was simply stating that I had it right on Quinn six weeks ago.

Your response is a bit unusual. A bit of venom. How is that possible?

As for the two that support you, 'Go Away Staal' and 'Amazing Kreiderman' - are you fine gentlemen Staten Island based? There are different types of Ranger fans. Just want to know what Type of talent we have here.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This nonsense about Quinn winning nothing is absolute horseshit and is just being spewed to drive a stupid ass narrative. He literally was a coach for the BU team that won in 09, unless we just want to conveniently ignore that fact. He won coach of the year and was a hockey east champion this year.

You know who hasn't won shit but got rewarded with a HC job? Dave Hakstol. Don't know how many more times someone has to be proven wrong before they stop peddling nonsense. It's ridiculous. Quinn hasn't even been f***ing hired yet and the conversations have been absolutely insufferable.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I went back to page 80. I thought "Surely the bitching about his salary can't go back that far can it? Surely a bunch of educated hockey fans want to discuss what this guy has done and can possibly do on the actual ice for us?" Nope. Just bitching. I don' know this guy really. Anyone able to talk about his positives, his flaw, what he can bring to the team and why we might've been so enamored with him?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I went back to page 80. I thought "Surely the *****ing about his salary can't go back that far can it? Surely a bunch of educated hockey fans want to discuss what this guy has done and can possibly do on the actual ice for us?" Nope. Just *****ing. I don' know this guy really. Anyone able to talk about his positives, his flaw, what he can bring to the team and why we might've been so enamored with him?

I heard he doesn't want to be here. He's also not worth his contract. lol

Reactions: Bozle

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I went back to page 80. I thought "Surely the *****ing about his salary can't go back that far can it? Surely a bunch of educated hockey fans want to discuss what this guy has done and can possibly do on the actual ice for us?" Nope. Just *****ing. I don' know this guy really. Anyone able to talk about his positives, his flaw, what he can bring to the team and why we might've been so enamored with him?

Personality wise he’s been compared to Mike Sullivan. He’s stern but fair. Quinn likes his teams to utilize a heavy forecheck and an attacking D. He’s reportedly excellent with young players (and you can see that given the talent he’s helped to develop at BU).

Main knock is that he didn’t win a championship with a stacked BU roster.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Dolan isn't actually the owner though. MSG Corp is the owner, and he's the chairman because he holds supervoting shares. When his family sold off all the equity in the business to the market they sold second rate stocks that didn't have any voting or control.

For cable vision? They got a 15% premium and a EV of $17+BN on that deal.

It was a brilliant move for them. They didnt sell MSG and I doubt they will, but JD and Family got an amazing deal for CVC.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Quinn hasn’t done anything to earn that contract is the issue. Hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t proven anything.

Got a monster contract because we missed out on the guy we actually wanted and we had TO overpay because he didn’t even want to really come here.

If everyone is cool with a nobody dictating his terms or F off to the New York Rangers then fine
Relax.

tom.png

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Quinn hasn’t done anything to earn that contract is the issue. Hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t proven anything.

Got a monster contract because we missed out on the guy we actually wanted and we had TO overpay because he didn’t even want to really come here.

If everyone is cool with a nobody dictating his terms or F off to the New York Rangers then fine

Well, the Rangers had no problem giving it to him so I guess they felt differently.

Reactions: haveandare

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You know who hasn't won **** but got rewarded with a HC job? Dave Hakstol.
Lets not pretend that Hakstol didn't only got that job because Hextall's son played for him at North Dakota.

Let's also not forget that Hakstol was dead man walking this year, and his replacement was hired as his top assistant.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dolan isn't actually the owner though. MSG Corp is the owner, and he's the chairman because he holds supervoting shares. When his family sold off all the equity in the business to the market they sold second rate stocks that didn't have any voting or control.

Set up a proxy fight and relief him! ;)

Seriously though, from the outside -- i.e. not getting influenced at all by all reports of what a spoiled brat that he is -- I think Dolan is a pretty good owner.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just think it's odd that when Alain Vigneault was hired, he came in with a resume of success coaching at the NHL level, and signed a 5 year deal, worth $10 million.

Quinn has zero NHL head coaching experience and was offered $8 million for 5 years, and it wasn't enough. So now, he's at $12 million for the same amount of years as a seasoned NHL coach.

I know Vigneault was hired 5 years ago, inflation, etc...but it still seems like a lot of money for a guy trying to prove himself for the first time at the highest level possible.

It also seems like an extreme over payment for the person who was most likely second on their list of coaching candidates.

It seemed from other reports that Montgomery was their first choice, and when he declined for Dallas instead, they approached Quinn.

- Vigneault was signed in 2013. That was 5 years ago.
- Vigneault was without a job.

These are 2 reasons why Quinn gets more than Vigneault.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A while back @Edge said something that may turn out to be prophetic...the coach we hire today may not be the coach when we are ready to win. (Looked but I couldn’t find the tweet)

Well, if you look at the philosophy we've held on to:

Step 1. Building a team. Coached by Renney
Step 2. Fleshing out that team. Coached by Tortorella
Step 3. Winning. Coached by Vigneault

It's like a night out at a fancy restaurant with a starter, an entree and a dessert.

Reactions: bobbop

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A while back @Edge said something that may turn out to be prophetic...the coach we hire today may not be the coach when we are ready to win. (Looked but I couldn’t find the tweet)

We might not be alive when we are ready to win the next time.... ;)

Reactions: bobbop

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was simply stating that I had it right on Quinn six weeks ago.

Your response is a bit unusual. A bit of venom. How is that possible?

As for the two that support you, 'Go Away Staal' and 'Amazing Kreiderman' - are you fine gentlemen Staten Island based? There are different types of Ranger fans. Just want to know what Type of talent we have here.

Staten Island? Never even been there. Is it nice? I am honored that you think I am talented though. Thanks!

On a serious note: Tooting your own horn on a forum you've been a part of for not even 2 months isn't really the best way to make a name for yourself. You did the same with Kotkaniemi a few weeks ago. It's going to provoke responses like the one you are commenting on now. And the fact that you actually go into detail about it to a degree where you ask about the 2 people who liked that comment... Wow. Just, wow. You seem very easily triggered by people who disagree with you or call you out on something. Not everything is a personal attack. Maybe take the more light-hearted approach. Nobody is here to cause a fight. Nobody is here to get into arguments that eventually will resort to name-calling. I understand the response to your earlier post by Swayze though.

Anyway, that's my serious response to this. Oh, and since you asked:

- Born and raised in The Hague, in the Netherlands
- Lived in Johannesburg, South Africa for 5 years
- Moved to Vienna, Austria last summer
- I've been supporting the Rangers since 1991. My favorite players growing up were Joey Kocur, Petr Nedved and Alexander Karpovtsev

I am a sarcastic asshole sometimes. It's nothing personal ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

We will have to wait and see how he does here, its all that matters.

Gorton cannot afford any huge swings and misses, his position is too important. Think that is the biggest difference between sitting on the sideline compared to actually being in charge. We can put a finger in the air and get it right, Gorton cannot get things wrong. Once you start digging that hole in this league it just become so tremendously hard to get out of.

It sounds fancy, the talk about getting a developer, someone who can teach the kids. But how many hours does a college coach spend with his team per week? And what is the same number in the NHL? And how much of that NHL time is like morning skates before games? I am not sure if practice time is capped in the NHL under the CBA, but there is still not much room.

Its not hard to find coaches that have been very short lived in their first shot at the NHL, for a reason. There isn't much patience. The NHL is not a development league. Just like every other coach -- people will have huuge issues with Quinn unless he gets splendid results from the get go. We all know that we will see tons of posts starting with "I am fine with a rebuild, but...". The media will be the same.

In the end, I don't think the results necessary is what matters. But you don't want him to create a mess.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Well, if you look at the philosophy we've held on to:

Step 1. Building a team. Coached by Renney
Step 2. Fleshing out that team. Coached by Tortorella
Step 3. Winning. Coached by Vigneault

It's like a night out at a fancy restaurant with a starter, an entree and a dessert.
Torts got us to the ECF and damn near to a Pres trophy. I'd say he qualifies as reaching step 3 also

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Personality wise he’s been compared to Mike Sullivan. He’s stern but fair. Quinn likes his teams to utilize a heavy forecheck and an attacking D. He’s reportedly excellent with young players (and you can see that given the talent he’s helped to develop at BU).

Main knock is that he didn’t win a championship with a stacked BU roster.
I saw someone talking about him not adjusting well in-game. Has he demonstrated an inability to adjust to the talent on the roster? I'm sure it's a little easier to cherry pick talent to fit your system in college. What has he done to show that he can help develop young players as pros?

PS. I LIKE us getting away from the old boys club

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It's absolute nonsense. No one is taking into account what his family and life situation is. As someone mentioned, maybe his wife has a great job in Boston. People acting like 8 year old fans who don't understand real life and just want all of their players and coaches to love the Rangers more than anything in the world. It's ****ing embarrassing is what it is.
Quinn's not married.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->