News Article: News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I guess Maria wasn't a fan of OV's and Sevastyanova's little vacation...

Karolina-Sevastianova-6.jpg

Here is OV sulking in Saint-Tropez

759537675.jpg

Too bad... I like Maria, but Karolyna is not bad ;-)

Upgrade

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
30+ Thoughts...the Caps parts
7. So, is Alex Ovechkin a right-winger or a left-winger? "He's a right-winger in the defensive zone who can cross-over to the left side offensively," said Capitals GM Brian MacLellan. "I'll start him on the right, but we know he can play left," said coach Barry Trotz. "For sake of simplicity, let's start that way."

8. In researching the Capitals, it's very clear what the organization believes: their roster is not as good as it should be, and Trotz is the man to unlock potential. According to a couple of players, sometime after the now-famous Dallas game where Ovechkin's back-checking became a focal point, there was a harsh team meeting where the captain took heat.

9. I did not know about it when I spoke to MacLellan. Trotz refused to comment about the specific incident, but did say this: "I think a lot of things get deflected on Ovie. He hasn't done a whole lot to disarm it, but he really wants to win...In other areas he needs to be a better role model; needs direction on being that. My job is to do that. The first thing to do was dig around to find what problem was: accountability. To win, you have to give up something....ego, physically or mentally for betterment of the team. Players may whine about structure and accountability, but at the end of day they want that...There's a big difference between a good team and a team with talent." I don't think he was talking only about Ovechkin.

10. Trotz said he wants to move up Tom Wilson, and the third linemate with Ovechkin/Nicklas Backstrom probably depends on who becomes the second-line centre. MacLellan said newly signed Justin Peters was told Braden Holtby begins the season as number one in goal. But the interesting thing was the defence pairs.

11. Both coach and GM say Orpik may be used as a sort of reverse-Sedin, doing the heavy-lifting defensively. His partner could rotate -- sometimes a Mike Green, sometimes a John Carlson -- but generally freeing up others to worry about offence or transition. MacLellan said Washington lost out on Willie Mitchell a few years ago because they were scared of term, so they took the chance with Orpik.

12. MacLellan seemed lukewarm to the idea of trading Green. They want to see if Trotz's system helps him. He also said something interesting about Green's presence helping Niskanen handle the newfound pressure of the big contract. Niskanen will be expected to score, but, in a perfect world for Washington, Green handles a big chunk of that, too.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...-defenceman-cash-in-on-free-agent-frenzy.html

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Another gem from 30 Thoughts. Not Caps related, but amusing.

42. As a follow-up to that, when asked what he wants to see different about his team's play next season, Hextall replied, "How we enter the offensive zone." There are some Flyers bloggers who are really horny about that stuff, and I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.

Love the acknowledgement for Broad Street Hockey. Those guys do some pretty good analytics work. Now to figure out how to persuade MacLellan to read Japer's. :laugh:

Liberati0n*

Between the ads, the format of the posts (and length for that matter), and the ridiculous comment layout...I'm not sure how anyone still can.

I've never noticed any ads (obviously they're there, but if I haven't noticed them I doubt they're that bad). And who cares about the comments? Obviously the layout of them is horrible, but that doesn't have anything to do with the posts themselves.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I've never noticed any ads (obviously they're there, but if I haven't noticed them I doubt they're that bad). And who cares about the comments? Obviously the layout of them is horrible, but that doesn't have anything to do with the posts themselves.
When I go to the site right now...and scroll down less than a wheel scroll...a huge Nike ad appears. When that kinda thing happens...I'm out. Could I turn on some javascript blocker...I'm sure....but no.

I happen to enjoy reading comments from time to time (hence being on here for so many years)...just not on there.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
When I go to the site right now...and scroll down less than a wheel scroll...a huge Nike ad appears. When that kinda thing happens...I'm out. Could I turn on some javascript blocker...I'm sure....but no.

I happen to enjoy reading comments from time to time (hence being on here for so many years)...just not on there.

Get ******* plus, you'll almost never see another ad.

Liberati0n*

You're right about the ad...I don't know, that is pretty bad. The content is still good though.

Vladiator16*

Wilson on the 1st line. Oh boy. Imaging Ov and Wilson in full hit mode. Return of the Legion of Doom

Oh yeah, i just hope Wilson is ready or able to be on the first line duties, but that would be awesome, now we just need big center. :laugh:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I dont think he's moving up to the first line...according to that line in the article.

Trotz said he wants to move up Tom Wilson, and the third linemate with Ovechkin/Nicklas Backstrom probably depends on who becomes the second-line centre.

I think hes saying...whoever is with Ovie and Backstrom will be deterimed by who the2nd line center is...not Wilson is going with those two.

Dont get me wrong...I'm not opposed...just don't think thats what Trotz was saying nor what is being written here.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Agreed, and it makes sense, with the candidates for 1LW likely including Laich and Majo, both of whom are also candidates for 2C.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agreed with devil and strung. He was saying that one of the Laich/Johansson/Kuznetsov group will be with Ovechkin and Backstrom, depending on who ends up as the 2nd line center. While the bullet was poorly worded, he wasn't saying Wilson would play with Ovechkin.

Between the ads, the format of the posts (and length for that matter), and the ridiculous comment layout...I'm not sure how anyone still can.
I use that thing that's censord here, so I don't notice hte ads. I don't particularly care about the comment section on most blogs, I can get my fill of meaningless fan debate here. I quite enjoy the formatting, and even more so the length. You don't get meaningful insight and analysis from short posts all that often. It takes some length and some investigation to provide the proper context. Japers' Rink is definitely the best Caps-centric blog out there, by a large margin.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
translation

"whoever is failing currently at the 2c spot will not be with ovechkin and backstrom, then I will rotate them out with another non 2c. There will be a constant rotation of non 1st line wingers and 2nd line centers until we finally obtain that player in said position". :sarcasm:

:cry::cry:

I really hope someone mans up and takes that 2C spot, looking at you mojo. Either way you look at it, if someone doesn't shine at that 2c spot under trotz its just more of the same.. mediocre. I'm just glad the D was the first priority. I have a good feeling Trotz can actually coach some of these guys to perform in positions they've failed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad