News Article: News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Yeah I was shocked.

Missing the entire offseason is a big blow not to mention perhaps the 1st 2 months of the season!

Wow

I had my wrist broken once. It was healed sooner than 2 months (I think 4-6 weeks actually) but it wasn't operating fully for like 8-9 months.

With a pro recovery systems I believe it could be really several months for Orlov depending on the details.

He can still prepare with one hand! He isn't a weak guy who needs some lifting work (or pull-ups!) and I guess he can get in shape with some sort of cast. I hope so.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Meh. They need more pro scouting help than a single pro scout hire and bumping existing scouts up. It's hard to believe their longstanding pro scouting issues don't in part lay at the feet of MacLellan.

Good to see Mahoney's amateur strengths being expanded but not much new blood aside from Trotz, his eventual staff and whoever is hired for Hershey. This is about as status quo as it can get after a GM change from a front office personnel standpoint. You don't want to throw out the good with the bad but...is MacLellan capable of making the necessary targeted changes?

Last edited:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Meh. They need more pro scouting help than a single pro scout hire and bumping existing scouts up. It's hard to believe their longstanding pro scouting issues don't in part lay at the feet of MacLellan.

Good to see Mahoney's amateur strengths being expanded but not much new blood aside from Trotz, his eventual staff and whoever is hired for Hershey.
Depends on the Pro Scout they hire really.

I haven't had to many problems with the trade acquisitions or Free Agents they've signed. Just havent gotten that D man they need to fill out the top four. But they dont grow on trees.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It just comes across as the top guy biting the bullet and everyone else getting a free pass promotion. I'll wait and judge them by their actions but it seems like Trotz will need to be the major difference maker in virtually every area aside from the draft.

Centers are also rare but they can't just perputally rifle through stopgap after stopgap. If you can't develop those positions from within and the great ones are hard to land then your staff needs to be able to identify better available fits that are at least passable for longer than a single season. The pro scouting side has consistently failed to go out and find those players at positions that matter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the baby and the rubber duck goes out with the bath water when you clean house. so...the good has to go out with the bad when make major changes. seems to me that this is all a sign that Leonsis was running the show thru McPhee and that the failure had reached a point where keeping McPhee was just no longer possible. These are not major changes.

Maclennan backs up the idea that McPhee left with that the organEYEzation is in good shape and deep. Mac stays. The main figure in the good drafting takes a bigger role. Fishman and the basic way the salary cap and contract negotiations are done remains.

McPhee and the failed coaching staff are out. everyone else remains. Facts seem to be that had Trotz been available they would have taken him ahead of Oates or Hanlon or Boudreau. So, Ted has the coach he has been wanting and general keeps is hockey staff the same

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Meh on Mehoney and his big promo. It seems like our entire development program seems to be lacking. If true, isn't there a decent chance that the guys he has been touting weren't really that good?

It's a bit short sighted to think only our internal guys know prospects. The internet has changed the game. Sure he may be good, but then, why couldn't he draft a defense? It seems perennially a work in progress.

#BlameGeorge

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
It just comes across as the top guy biting the bullet and everyone else getting a free pass promotion. I'll wait and judge them by their actions but it seems like Trotz will need to be the major difference maker in virtually every area aside from the draft.
I think that's a given...compared to Oates and Hunter.

Its not secret I (and you) thought Mafki had done a fine job over the years (with the exception of the defense)...and Im pretty confident with BMac and Mahoney running things...so now its on the coach...and they got a good one.

Liberati0n*

Is Mahoney's promotion the new "emphasis on development"? The new responsibilities it listed for him didn't seem to amount to anything actually being done differently. They put a competent person in charge of it...okay, but...?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Defense...center......the McPhee record isn't particularly glowing. It's about the definition of average. It's one of convenience, prudence and caution and that seems to be how ownership likes it generally. They need to be bold this summer. Hiring Trotz helps but it's not enough. It's good to hear they'll prioritize defensemen and centers but all that matters is getting it done. It doesn't really matter if they're hard to find...that's their job. There's no excuse. Use every avenue of player acquisition possible to address those positions. All of the strong organizations manage. If they want to beat them then improve rather than making excuses.

It sounds like Mahoney may have more leeway to sign UDFAs but hard to say if that'll change much. Maybe if the rest of the scouts are challenged. He'll oversee Richmond's player development job but the bigger impact will be Trotz and his AHL coach being highly capable. If trades are heavily vetted through Mahoney as well maybe that's an improvement but this is also the scouting staff that totally okayed a rushed trade of Forsberg for an over-the-hill playmaking winger that would be forced out of position. Their collective track record is not where it needs to be.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib · 1m
#nhl scheds will be released Sunday. #mnwild apparently pretty road heavy early, on road NY Eve for a change (at CBJ), outdoor game on hold

Outdoor game on hold?

I assume he means for Minnesota.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
On Sirius/XM they were talking about the schedule and indicated that only two outdoor games planned for 2014/15, one of which being the WC in Washington.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib · 1m
#nhl scheds will be released Sunday. #mnwild apparently pretty road heavy early, on road NY Eve for a change (at CBJ), outdoor game on hold

Outdoor game on hold?

I assume he means for Minnesota.

Yes, there were rumors/talks about Minnesota hosting a game. Winter Classic hosted by Caps as of now is still the plan, plus perhaps an outdoor game in California based on the latest reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad