News Article: News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I think the Carolina Hurricanes are the only Stanley Cup winner to miss the playoffs the following season. That speaks volumes about how fluky that Cup win was.

Oilers lost their #1 goalie Roloson in that Stanley cup Finals vs Hurricanes when Ladd got pushed into him.

So yeah. Anything can happen and does. Just to get to the final has to be the Caps goal this next year.

On a side note. Will 24/7 be following the team around again?

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Watching the 2nd OT period of this 2nd game LA vs NYR. Doughty sure likes to cross over to the left side. I wonder if our defensemen should try that more often. Crossing over to the other side to generate more offence. OV has been doing it pretty much his entire career. Doughty is doing it. Anyone else does this?

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Willi Mitchell scores the OT winner for LA. He sure was a good pick up for LA after his concussion. To think he could have been a Cap.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Willi Mitchell scores the OT winner for LA. He sure was a good pick up for LA after his concussion. To think he could have been a Cap.

Deflected by Brown actually.

Williams 0+3 and now has 23 points in these playoffs. Incredible.

Halpysback*

We couldn't give him 2 years, remember we give out term only to the cream of the crop like Laich and Schultz

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That cup is the perfect example of anything can happen. The Canadians were playing without there hole first line. The Oilers losing there starting goalie. Its like the sea parted for the Cans that year.

Remember Buffalo had defensemen dropping left and right in the ECF. I think the last game they only had 2 regular Dmen starting right?

Sometimes you get the breaks. The Caps got alot up until the SCF in 98

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@THNKenCampbell: Am told Bob Nicholson has offers from Washington, Edmonton and Vancouver to be CEO. Washington offering the most money.

He's the same guy that referenced speculation that he'd turned down Washington previously.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454610
Bob Nicholson has left Hockey Canada, but we will find out shortly what his new job is going to be.

Dreger: Yes, very soon news will break that Bob Nicholson is jumping into the National Hockey League. He left Hockey Canada and will join the high ranks of an NHL team in a high executive capacity - above the level of president and below that of an NHL owner. But he's joining the NHL.
Edmonton would seem more likely than Vancouver, though you never know. Hiring Linden and then someone overseeing him just seems like a bit much.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's most likely one of the two Canadian clubs. Campbell also tweeted that Edmonton is the frontrunner. Nicholson would either join Patrick or replace him as an advisor to Leonsis and would be who the GM (and potentially Patrick) answers to. He had to wrap up a few things at Hockey Canada IINM but I would have thought if it was going to happen it would have by now (similar to the Gretzky rumors). I guess it's possible Patrick now wants to step back after having helped lead the GM & coach hiring process. I don't think it happens otherwise given how influential he was through that process.

He could help instill some of the cultural areas of focus they're likely to emphasize but hard to say if that's a better use of resources compared to other possible front office expendatures.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
@THNKenCampbell: Am told Bob Nicholson has offers from Washington, Edmonton and Vancouver to be CEO. Washington offering the most money.

He's the same guy that referenced speculation that he'd turned down Washington previously.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454610

Edmonton would seem more likely than Vancouver, though you never know. Hiring Linden and then someone overseeing him just seems like a bit much.

iirc the offer from Leonsis previously reported was a rushed offer based on Nicholson taking the Vancouver job.

this would indicate Leonsis has continued the pursuit.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Between this and the Gretzky thing, it looks like they really want someone above the GM who is not Dick Patrick.
Or it's stale old info.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Hockey Canada announces EDM's Derek Laxdal as head coach of U-18 team. PBO's Jody Hull and Baie-Comeau's Eric Veilleux are assistants.

@CraigJButton: In @WHL news, more new blood in coaching ranks as @WHLHitmen expected to name Mark French as Head Coach. Bob Woods last week in Saskatoon.

The Veilleux info perhaps relevant when it comes to the Hershey gig, although rather than an ex-Bear I'd think a Trotz connection a more likely general inclination.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I agree Chili, Dick is looking for an exit strategy. Or Ted and him are, mutually. Maybe this is Ted relieving him of duties.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Or it's stale old info.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Hockey Canada announces EDM's Derek Laxdal as head coach of U-18 team. PBO's Jody Hull and Baie-Comeau's Eric Veilleux are assistants.

@CraigJButton: In @WHL news, more new blood in coaching ranks as @WHLHitmen expected to name Mark French as Head Coach. Bob Woods last week in Saskatoon.

The Veilleux info perhaps relevant when it comes to the Hershey gig, although rather than an ex-Bear I'd think a Trotz connection a more likely general inclination.

As a Calgary Hitmen fan, anything you can tell me about Mark French and his coaching style? Someone at the press conference yesterday described him as 'fair but firm', but anything Caps or Bears fans can tell us about him?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Part of me thinks "Good! Forces them to bring in some Defensemen this season!" then the other part of me realizes they could just role with Hillen and Co. again and never give Orlov a shot until its far to late.

Orlov always seems to get screwed with injuries. :/

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am still wondering what kind of broken wrist requires 4-6 months to recover from. Admittedly I have never broken anything. Some type of spiral fracture?

Yeah I was shocked.

Missing the entire offseason is a big blow not to mention perhaps the 1st 2 months of the season!

Wow

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
So Mahoney see's Kuznetsov, Johansson, or Laich as potential second line Cs...

Green, he says he open to trading anyone, but would like to get him on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad