News Article: News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
From the last post in the previous thread:

I am not sure what it reeks of. I do know how these jobs work, though. She does not choose what she writes about or what tact she takes to write it. He editor has that control.

She report to her editor that she is getting information that Oates is OCD about curves of sticks and other things that are driving his players insane and the editor tells her if she can present a story on that. If they approve it, the editor sees the story and changes is how he/she wishes or rejects it if they wish. She does not write what she wants unless she is willing to risk putting in the work and for it to get rejected and filed.

Go back and watch "All the President's men". Woodward and Bernstein had to convince their editors that they were on to something. They were assigned other things and their idea rejected or held for a good while. Each time they found a new thread, their editors had to see the raw data before allowing a write and then had to approve the write before it was published.

So, yes, its possible that she was allowed to write the rip job on Oates because WAPO editors already knew they were moving her. Its more likely that she was getting information that Oates and McPhee were going to get dumped that was being backed up by sources of other writers and they chose to get ahead of that by letter her put together a story using all the junk she had presented during the season.

I've worked in a newsroom, remember? I know how it works.

Editorial approval doesn't change any of what I said. Of course she was dumping all the crap she'd bottled up and was afraid to talk about. It actually fits perfectly with my points, including the adversarial relationship between Ted and the Post, and probably years of frustration with GMGM and recently with Oates. She was letting it out at the right time, when it no longer mattered to her job for multiple reasons. AKA, parting shots.

Were you trying to disagree with me or just taking the long route to "you're probably right"?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I don't think Boyle will sign with them tbh. Unless he's looking for a big pay day. DB has a knack for warm weather and I think he's looking to get back at San Jose. Hope he signs in Anahiem.

Man the Islanders make the playoffs once in a strike shortened season and those fans have huge expectations. These acquisitions of players rights seems a bit like desperation from Snow.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I don't think Boyle will sign with them tbh. Unless he's looking for a big pay day. DB has a knack for warm weather and I think he's looking to get back at San Jose. Hope he signs in Anahiem.

Man the Islanders make the playoffs once in a strike shortened season and those fans have huge expectations. These acquisitions of players rights seems a bit like desperation from Snow.

Well they have no first round pick in 2015.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

I'm not sure it's desperation, but do agree they're going all in for this season. I don't see the issue with it as at some point you've got to stop "rebuilding" and make moves forward.

And what the hell happened with Kadri, dude was supposedly a beast for a short while now everyone is trying to unload him.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Well they have no first round pick in 2015.

I get that they don't want to pull a Toronto and give Buffalo a top 5 pick,but a lot of young players need to get it together and quick for them to be a playoff team IMO.

What free agents do you see realistically going there and helping them? Moulson maybe or Derek Roy perhaps. 8 million for Stastny might be a step in the right direction.

I still see a fanbase that had a taste of success and wants to buy their way back into the hunt. Not a tactic that works very often.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I'm not sure it's desperation, but do agree they're going all in for this season. I don't see the issue with it as at some point you've got to stop "rebuilding" and make moves forward.

And what the hell happened with Kadri, dude was supposedly a beast for a short while now everyone is trying to unload him.

Short training camp + condensed schedule last year=Yakupov and Kadri having cultural problems due to being Muslims this year?

Last edited:

Capathetic

May 26, 2011

Toronto is obsessed with a #1 center and Kadri looks like a second line winger.

I don't blame the isles at all for the move except that they are rivals now and had their glory. Being a redskins fan I just feel like I've felt the pain they're about to endure...several times. If it's even an attractive destination like those fans are claiming it to be by trading for Halak and this magic #1/2 defenseman they insist Snow will aquire. The Isles need to unload a few of those prospects in order to get a deal done and I'm not sure Snow has moved anyone except Niño.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Jim Rutherford is going to be announced as the new GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. #TSN

Kinda boring but at least that hopefully means Pierre will be back between benches.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I'd be pissed to be a Pens fan right now.

Rutherford has been very underwhelming the last few years,but I guess he fits there build no defense ever mantra.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'd be pissed to be a Pens fan right now.

Rutherford has been very underwhelming the last few years,but I guess he fits there build no defense ever mantra.

Yeah, I just don't get that switcheroo. For Pens to upgrade, they either needed to get some sort of proven winner with a pedigree, or find somebody new and innovative. Rutherford isn't either. Carolina teams in recent years have not looked anything like contenders, or even having potential as contenders.

So, unless they know something we don't, seems dubious.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Rutherford has a cup doesn't he?

That cup is the perfect example of anything can happen. The Canadians were playing without there hole first line. The Oilers losing there starting goalie. Its like the sea parted for the Cans that year.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Rutherford has a cup doesn't he?

True.You could also say he hasn't adequately replaced the pieces of that team that got them the cup.

His drafting has been weak too. Ryan Murphy that high is a head scratcher. Skinner did turn out to be a surprise. Faulk and Lindholm look decent too.

Look JR isn't the worst choice.I just expected a team with such pressure to win to make a better selection. Canes have been treading around 10th for awhile. He gets major props for grabbing Sekera though. Thanks McPhee.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I think the Carolina Hurricanes are the only Stanley Cup winner to miss the playoffs the following season. That speaks volumes about how fluky that Cup win was.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That cup is the perfect example of anything can happen. The Canadians were playing without there hole first line. The Oilers losing there starting goalie. Its like the sea parted for the Cans that year.

Plus not a single member of their blueline missed a single game that post season. Everything lined up perfectly for them that spring.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Plus not a single member of their blueline missed a single game that post season. Everything lined up perfectly for them that spring.

Don't you have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good?

And... what are the Caps? The current and last GM & coach have never won anything.

But I guess we have a ton o' SE Champion banners.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Don't you have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good?

And... what are the Caps? The current and last GM & coach have never won anything.

But I guess we have a ton o' SE Champion banners.

What the heck does any of that have to do with me pointing out that their blueline didn't miss a single one of the 25 games they played that playoff year, which if not unheard of is incredibly rare?

This obviously has absolutely nothing to do with the Caps.

Get off your f**king high horse and while you are at it stop with the constant reminders to everyone why you believe your opinions are more qualified than anyone else's around here.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
What the heck does any of that have to do with me pointing out that their blueline didn't miss a single one of the 25 games they played that playoff year, which if not unheard of is incredibly rare?

This obviously has absolutely nothing to do with the Caps.

Get off your f**king high horse and while you are at it stop with the constant reminders to everyone why you believe your opinions are more qualified than anyone else's around here.

ummm he's from Hockey Town so therefore he knows more about hockey then all of us.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True.You could also say he hasn't adequately replaced the pieces of that team that got them the cup.

His drafting has been weak too. Ryan Murphy that high is a head scratcher. Skinner did turn out to be a surprise. Faulk and Lindholm look decent too.

Look JR isn't the worst choice.I just expected a team with such pressure to win to make a better selection. Canes have been treading around 10th for awhile. He gets major props for grabbing Sekera though. Thanks McPhee.

Rutherford has a cup, a finals and a conference finals. all on a budget. This would be to gm's what Trotz with a cup, a finals and a conference finals would look like among coaches.

I thought Rutherford was retiring.

Frankly, you could look at Shero and almost see that he had too much money to play with and shot it all over the place. Rutherford might make better decisions

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Rutherford has a cup, a finals and a conference finals. all on a budget. This would be to gm's what Trotz with a cup, a finals and a conference finals would look like among coaches.

I thought Rutherford was retiring.

Frankly, you could look at Shero and almost see that he had too much money to play with and shot it all over the place. Rutherford might make better decisions

Rutherford was much better with contracts:

- Alexander Semin 7 million/year for 5 years.
- Cam Ward 6.3 million/year for 5 years.
- Tuomo Ruutu 4.75 million/year for 4 years.
- Eric Staal 8.25 million/year for 7 years.
- Jordan Staal 6 million/year for 10 years.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->