News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Didn't read the post, just love the gif.

I do think it's a little strange for those teams to do it. Are any of Carolina's fans really excited about seeing the Whalers jersey on their team? Same for Colorado. There's definitely a market for those types of memorabilia, but I don't know that the existing fan base that has no connection to the previous iteration of the team is it. Minnesota's made the most sense in that way because they kept their own logo and it's the same fans.

That doesn't make me dislike the jerseys as a stand-alone piece, but I don't think I'd buy a Whalers or a Nordiques jersey if I were a fan of the Hurricanes or Avalanche.
Personally, as an old die-hard Montreal Expos fan, I'd never even consider buying a Nationals' jersey with the Expos logo on it. It is a total slap in the face to the old fans in the old market. But I doubt that's who they're trying to sell it to...

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Didn't read the post, just love the gif.

I do think it's a little strange for those teams to do it. Are any of Carolina's fans really excited about seeing the Whalers jersey on their team? Same for Colorado. There's definitely a market for those types of memorabilia, but I don't know that the existing fan base that has no connection to the previous iteration of the team is it. Minnesota's made the most sense in that way because they kept their own logo and it's the same fans.

That doesn't make me dislike the jerseys as a stand-alone piece, but I don't think I'd buy a Whalers or a Nordiques jersey if I were a fan of the Hurricanes or Avalanche.
Didn’t Carolina already have retro day where they wore whalers colors for a game, last season or the season before that?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What a mess... some divisions playing now, some in early next year, some not playing at all... bunch of long-shot pro careers just got a lot longer. :(
Yep. One less league here in NA for prospects to skate in.

AFAIK the AHL is still targeting a Feb 1 start date, which would not be in synch with the NHL's current timeline of Jan 1.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Yep. One less league here in NA for prospects to skate in.

AFAIK the AHL is still targeting a Feb 1 start date, which would not be in synch with the NHL's current timeline of Jan 1.
Regarding the AHL, I fear that's wishful thinking.

On a more positive note, if the AHL season does indeed start up, the Bridgeport arena will have no problem complying with social distancing. :rolleyes:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The Adidas jerseys are supposed to be closer to original jerseys. The fishstick would never be in play if a gm has any respect for the islanders logo. Half the reason people want this fishstick stuff is because its taboo, and most of the fans buying it started out seeing that fishstick stuff, while alot of older fans looked at is like pissing on everything bossy trotter Smith and potvin accomplished.

The whole point of this reverse retro thing was to sell merch. The NYIs reverse retro is by far the most boring in the entire league. I feel confident when I say that it will be the least sold jersey of the 31 teams.

It really wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world to try to cater to a bunch of people in their 30s/early 40s by doing something with the Fisherman jersey. We've seen several mock-ups over the years that would make for an excellent 3rd.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The whole point of this reverse retro thing was to sell merch. The NYIs reverse retro is by far the most boring in the entire league. I feel confident when I say that it will be the least sold jersey of the 31 teams.

It really wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world to try to cater to a bunch of people in their 30s/early 40s by doing something with the Fisherman jersey. We've seen several mock-ups over the years that would make for an excellent 3rd.

Would've been the perfect opportunity. It's time-limited by design and restricted to a few games. They'd make much more money than simply turning royal blue into navy and calling it a day. I have a hard time seeing them ever wearing that uniform if they passed this time around.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Increased merchandise sales has to be balanced with the damage from not wearing islander jerseys. Even if its just 5 to 10% of fans or advertisers that want to see a real islanders jersey at a game, or choose a different night to go, that can add up. Of course we probably won't be going to any games and the regular season will probably be around 25 games.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

I disagree. That Anaheim jersey is trash.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Increased merchandise sales has to be balanced with the damage from not wearing islander jerseys. Even if its just 5 to 10% of fans or advertisers that want to see a real islanders jersey at a game, or choose a different night to go, that can add up. Of course we probably won't be going to any games and the regular season will probably be around 25 games.

Nobody cares that much but you. This is a dumb conversation. You sound like a child, "My team isn't wearing the jersey I like so I'm not going!"

Reactions: bstash19

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

As someone in my late 40s, those things were an abomination and represent a period I’d like to pretend didn’t happen. So while I’m not exactly thrilled with the Yashin navy blue, it’s better IMO than the fish sticks logo and scheme. I wouldn’t buy either of them, though... but to each their own.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island

The reverse retro jersey does not move the needle at all for me. I will not be buying one. If they did a fisherman jersey, I would have bought one in a heartbeat.
Oh well. Their loss.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I really dont understand the sudden 180 from such a large portion of the fanbase regarding the fisherman jersey. It was horrible then, it is horrible now and it always will be horrible. I still cringe when I see it and think about if that would have become our permanent logo. Why has the fisherman and the related merchandise somehow become "trendy" or "cool" all of a sudden? What am I missing?

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I really dont understand the sudden 180 from such a large portion of the fanbase regarding the fisherman jersey. It was horrible then, it is horrible now and it always will be horrible. I still cringe when I see it and think about if that would have become our permanent logo. Why has the fisherman and the related merchandise somehow become "trendy" or "cool" all of a sudden? What am I missing?
Probably a combination of 90’s aesthetic making a comeback and the younger fans wanting to see a jersey that isn’t a retread of the ones we already have.

Reactions: bstash19

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Nobody cares that much but you. This is a dumb conversation. You sound like a child, "My team isn't wearing the jersey I like so I'm not going!"
You argument is dumber as another poster after said similar thing as me. What analytics study did you do to know im the only fan that wants to see islander uniforms at an islander game? Do you think the Yankees might know what they are doing? Cause they wear yankee uniforms every day.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
You argument is dumber as another poster after said similar thing as me. What analytics study did you do to know im the only fan that wants to see islander uniforms at an islander game? Do you think the Yankees might know what they are doing? Cause they wear yankee uniforms every day.
You must be fun at parties.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The Yankees have a number of different uniforms. Thanks for playing.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Do you have the "alternate jersey" of AAron Judge's name spelling?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Do you have the "alternate jersey" of AAron Judge's name spelling?
PRcEth3l.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino