News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it’s to gain leverage with the creditors.....”if you guys don’t play ball, I’ll sit out the season, and you won’t see any of that money”
This is better left to a bankruptcy lawyer to answer. I would think that if he's under contract a judge would have him fulfill the contract and pay creditors with that before allowing his debt to be erased.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I'm missing something here. Why would Kane want to sit out the season? Isn't he broke enough already?

That's the part I don't get. He's still got 5yrs left at $7M per (looks like $28M still owed if he plays out his contract), he's got $10M in assets and $26M in debts. Be close, but after taxes, looks like he could come pretty close to paying off the debt. The bankruptcy court shouldn't allow him to do anything other than pay it back in full or close to it. Of course, the bankruptcy laws in this country are a joke and are far too forgiving IMO, unless of course you have student loan debt, then they're not a joke, they're a tragedy.

It's because of health concerns with his newborn.

Reactions: MJF

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's because of health concerns with his newborn.
I'm not unsympathetic and fully admit that I have no idea about the details, but from a thousand miles away, out here in the real world the govt gives you two weeks of paid leave and 12 weeks of unpaid leave. It seems to me that unless he is the primary care giver (god forbid), the best thing he can do for his kid is get back to work ASAP.

Reactions: ronsatter and AM

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm missing something here. Why would Kane want to sit out the season? Isn't he broke enough already?
I assume it’s a ploy to pressure the people who hold his debts. As a logical extension of the bankruptcy dialog.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I'm not unsympathetic and fully admit that I have no idea about the details, but from a thousand miles away, out here in the real world the govt gives you two weeks of paid leave and 12 weeks of unpaid leave. It seems to me that unless he is the primary care giver (god forbid), the best thing he can do for his kid is get back to work ASAP.

I'll just go ahead and say that yea, from a thousand miles away, you have no idea what's best for him and his family. There's reports that he has 7 dependents living with him and lost over 1.5 million in gambling in the last month alone. Earning money in the same atmosphere that possibly engenders this behavior might not be the best thing for him and his kid who was born during a pandemic and is having health problems. Who knows, earning as much as he can while he can might be the best move.

Probably best to leave this one alone and not opine on something we have trickles of information on and is as personal as this.

Reactions: Seph

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'll just go ahead and say that yea, from a thousand miles away, you have no idea what's best for him and his family. There's reports that he has 7 dependents living with him and lost over 1.5 million in gambling in the last month alone. Earning money in the same atmosphere that possibly engenders this behavior might not be the best thing for him and his kid who was born during a pandemic and is having health problems. Who knows, earning as much as he can while he can might be the best move.

Probably best to leave this one alone and not opine on something we have trickles of information on and is as personal as this.
Spare me the moralizing. You echoed my sentiments almost exactly with the bolded comment and I certainly prefaced what I wrote with the appropriate caveats.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoIsles1

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Spare me the moralizing. You echoed my sentiments almost exactly with the bolded comment and I certainly prefaced what I wrote with the appropriate caveats.

I said that we have no idea, and you said that you know what's best.

Whatever, I can tell that you are going to argue and die on this hill, so I'm done.

Reactions: Seph

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I said that we have no idea, and you said that you know what's best.

Whatever, I can tell that you are going to argue and die on this hill, so I'm done.
No. I didn't.

Suggesting what might seem best and knowing what is best are two very different things. And the only person who was trying to pick a fight here was you. Done as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13th Floor

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Well, there's enough 'evidence' that he's had financial problems long before COVID and the birth of this child... He can be granted a reasonable living wage against his contract, otherwise, the rest goes to those he owes.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Well, there's enough 'evidence' that he's had financial problems long before COVID and the birth of this child... He can be granted a reasonable living wage against his contract, otherwise, the rest goes to those he owes.

I never said anything about his financial problems. I said he was sitting out because of health problems with his newborn that was born during COVID. It was a fact -- that's all. And a decision that I think other human beings should respect regardless of his financial situation. It's not the cause of nor the solution to his financial issues.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I never said anything about his financial problems. I said he was sitting out because of health problems with his newborn that was born during COVID. It was a fact -- that's all. And a decision that I think other human beings should respect regardless of his financial situation. It's not the cause of nor the solution to his financial issues.
Except there’s a direct correlation that if he sits out, the creditors do not get paid since he has no income to attach the debt to. So, it’s pretty relevant.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Except there’s a direct correlation that if he sits out, the creditors do not get paid since he has no income to attach the debt to. So, it’s pretty relevant.

I understand that whether he plays or not (and earns income) is relative to his financial situation. Again, my contribution here is pointing out why he is thinking about sitting out. All I did was report a fact.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is hilarious

I am guessing that up until about 30 years ago the number of NHL players who had never played pond hockey - the most enjoyable recreational activity ever devised - was pretty close to zero. I would be curious to know what that number is today.

Reactions: SI90

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Kreuger has responded by giving him a Support Tage:
20210108_135008.jpg

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events