News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The waves are just objectively bad. Setting aside that they caused everything in the jersey to be awkwardly placed and angled, and that they clashed in terms of design with the logo... they look like they were hand drawn.
I thought the wave and angled numbers looked good, if I was on an acid trip.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Those Oilers threads are sweet! I think they nailed it. HM to Kings

Yotes did something cool but I still struggle with hockey & southwest desert theme mix. Its cool for them but yet, well... awkward haha
The Yotes have too many colors and just seem to be all over the place. It’s like when the Kings brought back purple. Lots of busy designs and schemes and colors for about 5-7years.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I really don’t get the “Lou doesn’t want the fisherman” BS. Like if you don’t want anything to do with the fisherman era then stop selling fisherman Merch and allowing your goalies to put the logos on their helmets.
There’s a different argument there that it draws in fan interest in a limited way, but making it part of the actual uniform (thus, the branding of the franchise), doesn’t seem to jive with this ownership group.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I never had a problem with the fishsticks jersey other than it being permanent rather than a cool alternate. The waves making it strange and angled pretty much fit in with the 90's. They were doing that crap everywhere. The logo itself I had absolutely no problem with and I liked the lighthouse as well. If they had just took those pieces from it and tried (don't like the all orange) to make something interesting, they would have sold some just out of uniqueness. This jersey they are giving to us, 100% agree with Howie. Nothing unique about it to warrant a purchase, which will probably translate to Adidas that the Islanders don't have much of a fanbase. So many cool jerseys in the bunch, kind of hard to stomach being at the bottom of the pile in the jersey's standings, lol. Maybe we can win the lottery with this!

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I like to watch islander games that involve islander jerseys. In fact I had to listen on radio only for yeara during fish stick era to just remember what good old days felt like. I also always research any games I go to, to avoid 3rd jersey night. I already decades ago gave up dreams of a cup, but when I watch an islander game I want to feel like I'm watching the team I started out watching in 85.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The logo itself I had absolutely no problem with
giphy.gif

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I thought the wave and angled numbers looked good, if I was on an acid trip.
I actually thought there was a single decent view of the fisherman jerseys: the back of the white jerseys actually wasn't bad.

The worst view was the front of the blue jerseys with all that teal, and the waves clashing with the ruler-straight bottom of the logo. If there were significantly less teal (or NO teal) and the fisherman logo were rounded, it would have been much better.

I never understood why, if they were going for a LI-themed jersey, they didn't do a beach. The orange at the bottom could have been sand, with blue water above and white and blue sky above that. Have a fat guy wearing a Speedo instead of the fisherman.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I actually thought there was a single decent view of the fisherman jerseys: the back of the white jerseys actually wasn't bad.

The worst view was the front of the blue jerseys with all that teal, and the waves clashing with the ruler-straight bottom of the logo. If there were significantly less teal (or NO teal) and the fisherman logo were rounded, it would have been much better.

I never understood why, if they were going for a LI-themed jersey, they didn't do a beach. The orange at the bottom could have been sand, with blue water above and white and blue sky above that. Have a fat guy wearing a Speedo instead of the fisherman.
That's not a LI Guy look. That's a European tourist look.

The LI Guy look is a chunky man wearing jeans, a wife beater top, and a couple of chains around his neck. Probably just got finished working on his 1975 Monte Carlo project car in his driveway.

NOTE: this man is indigenous to the south shore of Long Island.

Reactions: doublechili

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010

The LI Guy look is a chunky man wearing jeans, a wife beater top, and a couple of chains around his neck. Probably just got finished working on his 1975 Monte Carlo project car in his driveway.

If we're going for the Mastic Beach look, I suppose the team could just wear the same jerseys all year without washing or replacing them.

Reactions: TMI and MJF

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Personally, they all range from 'yuck' to 'meh'. None that I like, and absolutely nothing I could consider paying money for.

As long as I don't have to see any of them actually being worn, if the league can sell enough to generate a profit, good for them.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I really don’t get the “Lou doesn’t want the fisherman” BS. Like if you don’t want anything to do with the fisherman era then stop selling fisherman Merch and allowing your goalies to put the logos on their helmets.

Yeah, but those are minor things and not the crest of the team on the ice. I can definitely see why as an old school guy that Lou would say no to the Fisherman for 10-15 games per season.

What I think is extremely funny is the outright non-participation of the "reverse-retro." So the stripes look like the 1980 jersey which is the "retro" part, but the "reverse" part is to add back a color that they did not wear in 1980 but from 98-10.

NHL - "we want to do a retro jersey concept!"
Lou -
HarmoniousPhysicalHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
1. I'm extremely glad that we have moved up to a point where our offseason arguments can be focused on jerseys.
2. The jersey selected is boring, and they could have done better, but I really don't see this as a major concern.
3. The fisherman logo was awful. It was awful when it was released - that had nothing to do with team performance, it's just badly designed. The jersey was badly designed. The shoulder patch is the single element from that effort that looks professional. The logotype looks like it was done using a 1980s desktop publishing tool.
4. In retrospect, the release of this (just days after the Capitals released theirs which was a much better effort from the same design firm) provides a fitting endcap to Maloney's horrific run as GM of the team.
5. I'd love to see some creative and fun alternates put together for this team in the future. Just not rehashing the damned fisherman. Please.

The fans hated it. The players hated it. Check the video below (skip ahead to about the 4:30 mark) and just look at the faces and body language of the team as they are introduced on Opening Night:

Reactions: Strummergas

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, but those are minor things and not the crest of the team on the ice. I can definitely see why as an old school guy that Lou would say no to the Fisherman for 10-15 games per season.

What I think is extremely funny is the outright non-participation of the "reverse-retro." So the stripes look like the 1980 jersey which is the "retro" part, but the "reverse" part is to add back a color that they did not wear in 1980 but from 98-10.

NHL - "we want to do a retro jersey concept!"
Lou -
HarmoniousPhysicalHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

Didn't read the post, just love the gif.

Honestly, I think they nailed it. I think the Colorado and Carolina jerseys are a slap in the face to Nordiques and Whalers fans.

I do think it's a little strange for those teams to do it. Are any of Carolina's fans really excited about seeing the Whalers jersey on their team? Same for Colorado. There's definitely a market for those types of memorabilia, but I don't know that the existing fan base that has no connection to the previous iteration of the team is it. Minnesota's made the most sense in that way because they kept their own logo and it's the same fans.

That doesn't make me dislike the jerseys as a stand-alone piece, but I don't think I'd buy a Whalers or a Nordiques jersey if I were a fan of the Hurricanes or Avalanche.

Reactions: JKP

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

I have lived on the south shore of Nassau county my whole life, definitely not the look in my surrounding neighborhoods, but there is a lot of shore to go by..

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I do think it's a little strange for those teams to do it. Are any of Carolina's fans really excited about seeing the Whalers jersey on their team? Same for Colorado. There's definitely a market for those types of memorabilia, but I don't know that the existing fan base that has no connection to the previous iteration of the team is it.
From interacting with Canes fans on twitter since they brought back the Whalers jersey a couple of seasons ago their millennial-aged fans absolutely love the jerseys and Brass Bonanza played after a goal. But when I suggested that if they really want to play "Dress Like a Whaler" the organization should do the fans in Hartford a solid and play a pre-season game at the Hartford Civic Center since those fans got screwed over through no fault of their own, those Canes fans went and continue to go apeshit on me over the suggestion. Like I was trying to poach their team from Raleigh.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I bet you only like the books with the pictures in them too.

:sarcasm:

giphy.gif

From interacting with Canes fans on twitter since they brought back the Whalers jersey a couple of seasons ago their millennial-aged fans absolutely love the jerseys and Brass Bonanza played after a goal. But when I suggested that if they really want to play "Dress Like a Whaler" the organization should do the fans in Hartford a solid and play a pre-season game at the Hartford Civic Center since those fans got screwed over through no fault of their own, those Canes fans went and continue to go apeshit on me over the suggestion. Like I was trying to poach their team from Raleigh.

The Whalers jersey is really something. That logo hits on all levels, the colors are great, there's not a whole lot to dislike...if it was your team. I think the Hurricanes have one of the worst looking brands in the NHL, I don't blame them for wanting something so much better, but I still don't get it.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
That doesn't make me dislike the jerseys as a stand-alone piece, but I don't think I'd buy a Whalers or a Nordiques jersey if I were a fan of the Hurricanes or Avalanche.

Oh definitely. My statement wasn't about the jerseys themselves, rather the use of the old logs for the current locations. I imagine it would have to sting seeing them if one is an old fan; even though the teams relocated a long time ago.

Reactions: PK Cronin

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017

Well, this is awkward timing.

The Adidas jerseys are supposed to be closer to original jerseys. The fishstick would never be in play if a gm has any respect for the islanders logo. Half the reason people want this fishstick stuff is because its taboo, and most of the fans buying it started out seeing that fishstick stuff, while alot of older fans looked at is like pissing on everything bossy trotter Smith and potvin accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino