News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I do like the NY that they use quite a bit, even though it's simple.
I agree. I'm not any kind of graphics person (never really got past Paint!), but I was fiddling around one time with a 3rd jersey and made something pretty plain in royal blue with the only ornamentation being a band consisting of a few thinner orange and white stripes near the bottom and on the sleeves and with the logo as a simple "NYI" on the front in a font with a hand-drawn look. I actually kinda liked it.

Reactions: MJF

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
The Toronto Raptors are not allowed to play their NBA games in Canada. They will be playing in Florida. The NHL will need to figure out a solution to have a season. I believe the only possible outcome is to setup a Canada based division or just cancel the season.

I suggest All teams play in their home arenas.
Every team plays each other in their division 8 times

Lafleur Division
Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver

Orr Division
NYI, Rangers, Devils, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Florida, Tampa

Lemieux Division
Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Carolina, Nashville

Gretzky Division
Dallas, Arizona, Colorado, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Vegas, Minnesota

Top 4 teams based on winning pct. from each division makes the Stanley Cup playoffs (16 teams)

Proceed to a cup champion with best of 7 series.

Last edited:
Reactions: attilatheislander

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Isles original logo is kinda meh, but it’s historical enough and representative enough to keep it. It’s an old charmer I guess.

The Stadium NY was a great crest. An isles third with that logo, blue, white, and grey/silver, dropping the orange entirely would appear to be very attractive, simple, focused on NY, and a nice complimentary third.

The lighthouse is whatever, a lighthouse. I don’t get the infatuation with that logo or symbol. Fans seem to be dying for something else and routinely defer to it. It’s limiting as a logo. The Isles just do not have a theme in style and logo beyond their original logo and it seems like fans crave for it.
If I was in the marketing field I would try to do something with ISLES on a 3rd jersey. But since I'm no marketing genius I don't know where you'd go with that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't think LIers would appreciate any nods to NYC. That would really miss the mark IMO.

I think a 3rd has to be nautical themed because it lends itself to a lot of good ideas that make sense given our team name/location. I don't know how you turn suburbia into a logo. I know LI has some vineyards and castles, but I certainly don't think of those things when thinking about LI.

I agree with you on the Stadium Series jersey. and I even like our current 3rds (which are basically the stadium series jersey minus the chrome look). But we all know that they're eventually going to come out with another 3rd jersey. If it isn't an NY or Islanders wordmark, I don't see what else it can be besides nautical themed. Unless we want a logo of a strip mall, bumper to bumper traffic and bagel boss.
I'm not making a nod to NYC. I've lived in eastern Queens my entire life and spent more of my leisure time and money on the Island than in any of the boroughs. Believe me if there's any theme for Long Island re: vineyards, the east end or the Island's nautical roots I see it as a big reach. The Island is beaches, golf courses, the LIRR, and sprawl.

Sorry. It is what it is.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not making a nod to NYC. I've lived in eastern Queens my entire life and spent more of my leisure time and money on the Island than in any of the boroughs. Believe me if there's any theme for Long Island re: vineyards, the east end or the Island's nautical roots I see it as a big reach. The Island is beaches, golf courses, the LIRR, and sprawl.

Sorry. It is what it is.

Is it any more of a reach than the New Jersey Devils or Boston Bruins? I mean where are all of these demons/bears roaming around NJ/Boston? I mean if you want a real geographically accurate name then we have to rename them the NJ Toll Booths or Boston

We have a kind of boring name. We're not going to do something that truly represents long island. As the articles above mentioned, when they were coming up with the fisherman they faced this same problem. One of them joked that the symbol of LI is a woman with shopping bags stepping out of a Lexus.

But our team name does lend itself to nautical themes. They could feasibly do some type of logo with a beach theme. I would be concerned that whoever designed that would go for a gradient sunset with waves crashing on the shore. Could be cool, probably won't be.

There are 20 lighthouses on long island. Go with that. It makes the most sense and we've seen great lighthouse logo designs before.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Reactions: sabremike

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
The Toronto Raptors are not allowed to play their NBA games in Canada. They will be playing in Florida. The NHL will need to figure out a solution to have a season. I believe the only possible outcome is to setup a Canada based division or just cancel the season.

Lafleur Division

Orr Division

Lemieux Division

Gretzky Division

Top 4 teams based on winning pct. from each division makes the Stanley Cup playoffs (16 teams)

with these Divisions the Leafs may have a shot at being on the inside of the bubble come playoff time 2021. Still Can picture Tr91tor with his face up against the glass . Let me in Let me in !!!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is it any more of a reach than the New Jersey Devils or Boston Bruins? I mean where are all of these demons/bears roaming around NJ/Boston? I mean if you want a real geographically accurate name then we have to rename them the NJ Toll Booths or Boston

We have a kind of boring name. We're not going to do something that truly represents long island. As the articles above mentioned, when they were coming up with the fisherman they faced this same problem. One of them joked that the symbol of LI is a woman with shopping bags stepping out of a Lexus.

But our team name does lend itself to nautical themes. They could feasibly do some type of logo with a beach theme. I would be concerned that whoever designed that would go for a gradient sunset with waves crashing on the shore. Could be cool, probably won't be.

There are 20 lighthouses on long island. Go with that. It makes the most sense and we've seen great lighthouse logo designs before.
Again, why does it have to be a representation of Long Island? Does Winnipeg have a history with jet planes? Does Los Angeles have a history of royalty ruling SoCal? Why can't somebody come up with just a slick design for our future 3rd jersey. The NY from the Stadium Series jersey, NYI as @doublechili said or ISLES was my suggestion.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island

Lafleur Division

Orr Division

Lemieux Division

Gretzky Division

damn, our division looks the toughest.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If I was in the marketing field I would try to do something with ISLES on a 3rd jersey. But since I'm no marketing genius I don't know where you'd go with that.

I don’t know the SENS tried this, and it didn’t go over well.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Once upon a time, they thought about the 'what' and you got the fisherman/lighthouse combo...and according to this one thing, billy joel found his way into too. (hilarious).

https://nypost.com/2018/12/06/inside-the-disaster-that-was-the-islanders-fisherman-logo/

Distilling That Perfect Islander Image; If It's Not a Lighthouse, a Lexus or a Bloomie's Bag, What Is It? (Published 1995)

LOL at this quote about NYLES...

Fans booed him at his debut, and one 10-year-old boy was quoted as saying, “I’d like to assassinate him. I think he’s stupid.”

Alright, which one of you here was that boy?

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This is still one of the best Isles concepts

Just noticed the rope border. That’s pretty cool. Even if you just make it a lighthouse (since kraken took the anchor) it would still be pretty classic looking.

Last edited:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Again, why does it have to be a representation of Long Island? Does Winnipeg have a history with jet planes? Does Los Angeles have a history of royalty ruling SoCal? Why can't somebody come up with just a slick design for our future 3rd jersey. The NY from the Stadium Series jersey, NYI as @doublechili said or ISLES was my suggestion.

No idea about Winnipeg's history with Jet planes. Clearly there's no royalty in LA. However their logos are representative of their team names. Just as all teams logos are representative of their teams name or where they play. We have a map. And it's great, it's classic. No one is suggesting changing our classic look. We're talking about 3rd jerseys. Something that are supposed to be different and fun.

We have already gotten the NY from the stadium series on 3 different jerseys already. And that NY is nothing more than a stylized version of the NY in our classic logo. I'd rather they try something different for our next 3rd jersey.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Reading that the owners want to re structure the agreement with the players again. $$$$ It’s all about the money or lack of it . Anybody hear anything ?
With no fan attendance and no money in the owners pockets how can there be a season ? I’m sure much of it is owners being owners trying to squeeze any chance they get but what if for some teams it’s a very serious concern ?

Looking at the news around the Leafs retro jersey shows all Caps in the spelling except the lowercase n in TOROnTO. Also the m in mAPLE LEAFS . Doesn’t make NYLES or the fisherman seem so bad anymore ..LGI

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Reading that the owners want to re structure the agreement with the players again. $$$$ It’s all about the money or lack of it . Anybody hear anything ?
With no fan attendance and no money in the owners pockets how can there be a season ? I’m sure much of it is owners being owners trying to squeeze any chance they get but what if for some teams it’s a very serious concern ?

Looking at the news around the Leafs retro jersey shows all Caps in the spelling except the lowercase n in TOROnTO. Also the m in mAPLE LEAFS . Doesn’t make NYLES or the fisherman seem so bad anymore ..LGI
What’s the significance of Caps/lowercase?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
What’s the significance of Caps/lowercase?

mistake in the printing . All the letters are capitals except the n in Toronto and the m in Maple Leafs. Look up the Leafs retro to see it . I did not discover this . It’s a pretty big deal amongst the complainers in TOROnTO

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Right, so you're not going to buy the navy blue one either. Neither will the overwhelming majority of fans who buy a NYI jersey this year. I think that's my entire point. Ok, so they won't wear something to do with the fisherman jersey, and when they do wear this navy blue, unless you're really trying to see it, you probably won't even notice it's different from a really sweaty royal blue jersey on TV.

Look I'm 39, and I happen to agree with you. The fisherman jersey represents a bad time, and I don't think it's a particularly nice jersey. But it would sell significantly better than this navy blue jersey will, and that's really the whole point of the reverse retro promo. And there are tons of mock-ups made over the years that take elements of that jersey that look good. it's a missed opportunity by the NYI.
I'd year the navy one over a fisherman any day. I had a couple navy ones. I was hoping for something more interesting than navy and less cringeworthy than fishsticks.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002

Lafleur Division

Orr Division

Lemieux Division

Gretzky Division

I would make a few switches for travel distance:

Lafleur Division

Orr Division
NYI, Rangers, Devils, Buffalo, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit

Lemieux Division
Columbus, Chicago, Washington, Carolina, Nashville, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Florida

Gretzky Division
Dallas, Arizona, St. Louis, Colorado, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Vegas

Reactions: sabremike

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'd year the navy one over a fisherman any day. I had a couple navy ones. I was hoping for something more interesting than navy and less cringeworthy than fishsticks.

Not everything has to be so black & white though. It isn't an either or. They could have done something in between.

If they didn't want to revisit any aspect of the fisherman jersey then ok. Why not just give us an orange jersey with our logo? That would have been worlds better than what we got.

I'm telling you, on our TVs these navy blue jerseys will be pretty much indistinguishable from our regular uniform.

Far be it from me to say what anyone should do with their own money. But I am very confident when I say that either an orange jersey or any call back to the fisherman would have sold significantly better than this one will.

I think what I'm more annoyed by is that it's just a bad business decision that makes zero sense. It's as if they didn't want to participate in this promo/sell more jerseys.

Last edited:

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not everything has to be so black & white though. It isn't an either or. They could have done something in between.

If they didn't want to revisit any aspect of the fisherman jersey then ok. Why not just give us an orange jersey with our logo? That would have been worlds better than what we got.

I'm telling you, on our TVs these navy blue jerseys will be pretty much indistinguishable from our regular uniform.

Far be it from me to say what anyone should do with their own money. But I am very confident when I say that either an orange jersey or any call back to the fisherman would have sold significantly better than this one will.

I think what I'm more annoyed by is that it's just a bad business decision that makes zero sense. It's as if they didn't want to participate in this promo/sell more jerseys.
Yeah, I'd have been down for something more orange. I'm totally meh on the navy, but want nothing to do with fisherman. Otherwise, I would be open to some new ideas.

I think maybe there was a missed opportunity to do something interesting, but maybe they were constrained by the parameters of what the NHL wanted to do. Regardless, it's filled some otherwise dead air during this long empty stretch of the offseason.

Reactions: MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
7g3NedKIjXAw8rreT4XSd13VCc27Pi457oCyhIdnBAoa6-tjv96Q5Lx_0Q1zXF9CaUdwujd_VZZF3Gbe7XfrPGBgOOcCJm0CamlNLIHdY0gRp0Enq0jnBwsMDI6v78U

This jersey should have been the template for the reverse-retro. Should have been a white base with the orange under the sleeves, the shoulders and numbers, outlined in navy blue.

Actually serves the reverse-retro purpose, uses the navy color and doesn't piss anyone off.

Can a photoshop proficien person make a mock up?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
7g3NedKIjXAw8rreT4XSd13VCc27Pi457oCyhIdnBAoa6-tjv96Q5Lx_0Q1zXF9CaUdwujd_VZZF3Gbe7XfrPGBgOOcCJm0CamlNLIHdY0gRp0Enq0jnBwsMDI6v78U

This jersey should have been the template for the reverse-retro. Should have been a white base with the orange under the sleeves, the shoulders and numbers, outlined in navy blue.

Actually serves the reverse-retro purpose, uses the navy color and doesn't piss anyone off.

I'll mock it up for you later tonight.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Something like this?

ECH0VZo.png

Reactions: 86this
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->