News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree. That Anaheim jersey is trash.

It's not your cup of tea. But it speaks to the 30-40 somethings Ducks fans who were teenagers when it first came out. That jersey is going to sell.

the NYI just couldn't even be bothered to reverse the Blue & Orange and give us an all orange jersey if they wanted to steer clear of the fisherman. it's just a wasted opportunity to sell jerseys & it makes no sense from a business POV.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
As someone in my late 40s, those things were an abomination and represent a period I’d like to pretend didn’t happen. So while I’m not exactly thrilled with the Yashin navy blue, it’s better IMO than the fish sticks logo and scheme. I wouldn’t buy either of them, though... but to each their own.

Right, so you're not going to buy the navy blue one either. Neither will the overwhelming majority of fans who buy a NYI jersey this year. I think that's my entire point. Ok, so they won't wear something to do with the fisherman jersey, and when they do wear this navy blue, unless you're really trying to see it, you probably won't even notice it's different from a really sweaty royal blue jersey on TV.

Look I'm 39, and I happen to agree with you. The fisherman jersey represents a bad time, and I don't think it's a particularly nice jersey. But it would sell significantly better than this navy blue jersey will, and that's really the whole point of the reverse retro promo. And there are tons of mock-ups made over the years that take elements of that jersey that look good. it's a missed opportunity by the NYI.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I really dont understand the sudden 180 from such a large portion of the fanbase regarding the fisherman jersey. It was horrible then, it is horrible now and it always will be horrible. I still cringe when I see it and think about if that would have become our permanent logo. Why has the fisherman and the related merchandise somehow become "trendy" or "cool" all of a sudden? What am I missing?

90s nostalgia is real.

Current NYI Jerseys are great, but all of our 3rds have been boring as hell. Part of it is because well the Islanders name is kind of boring. It isn't like it's an animal name where we can have a ferocious animal pose as a logo.

I didn't like the Fisherman jersey when it was first introduced, and I never liked the actual main logo. But I loved the lighthouse logo from the start. I don't know why the franchise has completely abandoned it. Hell, if they made that their main logo instead of Stan Fischlers cousin, then we probably wouldn't think so poorly of it.

I think this would look so great on a blue or white jersey and it would work so nicely as a 3rd for the Isles.

296760f78bc3b91a7fa9dee47c8bf5fa.jpeg

9064545978_4a30fe1459_o.png

Also, and sorry if it ruffles anyones feathers, but I don't get why we have to pretend that we're an organization that should be above changing our logos/tradition. Yes, they were the cream of the crop 35-40 years ago. We've been living in those teams shadow since. I just don't get why so many in our fanbase seem to think that we need to be super traditional as though we're an original 6 team. hell even the O6 teams have fun with their jerseys every now and then.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Wonder if Isles are going to do something ‘Belmont’ related on a jersey when they get there and did not want to direct cash and online capital towards something a bit more shortsighted.

While horse racing has zero to do with the Isles legacy, moving to that location has an opportunity to pay homage to it and make a broader connection to an entirely different market.

Keep this thing pretty vanilla and also the fisherman is a lighting rod of opinions, best if you own or run the franchise to not get fans distracted by a little cash grab and think bigger/longer term.

Reactions: Isles Junkie

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wonder if Isles are going to do something ‘Belmont’ related on a jersey when they get there and did not want to direct cash and online capital towards something a bit more shortsighted.

While horse racing has zero to do with the Isles legacy, moving to that location has an opportunity to pay homage to it and make a broader connection to an entirely different market.

Keep this thing pretty vanilla and also the fisherman is a lighting rod of opinions, best if you own or run the franchise to not get fans distracted by a little cash grab and think bigger/longer term.

Any connection to Belmont related to a logo, even if just part time, should fall equally as flat as the fishermen if islander fans are consistent... which they aren't.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Do you also think Big Bang Theory is funny?

Who watches network TV anymore? What's your point though? That if I think a blue & orange lighthouse logo would look nice as a main crest for a 3rd jersey, then I must be so basic that I think a Chuck Lorre show about 'nerds' is also good? If that's where you're going then I think it's a weird analogy.

I am 100% in favor of the next 3rd jersey either being that lighthouse logo from the fisherman jersey (but in our classic colors) OR, some other type of lighthouse logo.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The Lighthouse moved to a primary logo with the non-sea-distorted colors and waves could like miles better than using the wrong dye at the warehouse and calling it a reverse retro....just saying.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NYIConcepts-2.jpg
NYIConcepts-1.jpg

Or any number of fanmade lighthouse logos would look infinitely better. I will never understand why NYI fans think we're some historic franchise, whose tradition can't possibly ever be messed with. We're not the Yankees folks.

And not for nothing, but covid not withstanding, we're not a highly profitable franchise. I don't know about the revenue sharing system in the NHL, but it couldn't possibly hurt the NYI to have a different 3rd jersey that NYI and just general NHL fans may want to buy.

Last edited:

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
90s nostalgia is real.

Current NYI Jerseys are great, but all of our 3rds have been boring as hell. Part of it is because well the Islanders name is kind of boring. It isn't like it's an animal name where we can have a ferocious animal pose as a logo.

I didn't like the Fisherman jersey when it was first introduced, and I never liked the actual main logo. But I loved the lighthouse logo from the start. I don't know why the franchise has completely abandoned it. Hell, if they made that their main logo instead of Stan Fischlers cousin, then we probably wouldn't think so poorly of it.

I think this would look so great on a blue or white jersey and it would work so nicely as a 3rd for the Isles.

296760f78bc3b91a7fa9dee47c8bf5fa.jpeg

9064545978_4a30fe1459_o.png

Also, and sorry if it ruffles anyones feathers, but I don't get why we have to pretend that we're an organization that should be above changing our logos/tradition. Yes, they were the cream of the crop 35-40 years ago. We've been living in those teams shadow since. I just don't get why so many in our fanbase seem to think that we need to be super traditional as though we're an original 6 team. hell even the O6 teams have fun with their jerseys every now and then.

I agree, even the Rangers brought back the Lady Liberty jersey. This retro-reverse thing looks almost like every Islander jersey I have owned. I like the lighthouse idea and think they should have done something around that if they did not want to go the Fisherman route.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is anyone else in favor of not revisiting old 3rd jerseys, not trying to riff on the lighthouse or the fisherman? Don’t you guys want to see us come up with a new concept for an alternate?

I realize the theme is Reverse Retro but how many conversations about alternate jerseys for the Isles come back to “bring back the fisherman”? Can’t we ever move forward?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Is anyone else in favor of not revisiting old 3rd jerseys, not trying to riff on the lighthouse or the fisherman? Don’t you guys want to see us come up with a new concept for an alternate?

I realize the theme is Reverse Retro but how many conversations about alternate jerseys for the Isles come back to “bring back the fisherman”? Can’t we ever move forward?

I would have loved an anchor & wave theme, but it looks to have been usurped by Seattle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Sure, but what else if not for a nautical theme? It certainly doesn't have to be as cartoonish as the 90s jersey.

But what is Long Island known for if not lighthouses, beaches and their fishing history. That lends itself to Lighthouses, waves, anchors, nets, boating/fishing equipment.

Our other options are other riffs on the NY or an Islanders wordmark, which is well boring.

This one was made several years ago and I always thought it would look great with a few tweeks (Blue & Orange for one). Our 3rd 100% should be honoring Long Island in some way other than a map. Our logo might be a classic, but it's kinda boring.

NYI-Third.png

NYI-logodetail.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sure, but what else if not for a nautical theme? It certainly doesn't have to be as cartoonish as the 90s jersey.

But what is Long Island known for if not lighthouses, beaches and their fishing history. That lends itself to Lighthouses, waves, anchors, nets, boating/fishing equipment.

Our other options are other riffs on the NY or an Islanders wordmark, which is well boring.

This one was made several years ago and I always thought it would look great with a few tweeks (Blue & Orange for one). Our 3rd 100% should be honoring Long Island in some way other than a map. Our logo might be a classic, but it's kinda boring.

NYI-Third.png

NYI-logodetail.png
Why does it have to be a nautical theme? Does it even have to be representative of Long Island? Long Island is known for being a bedroom community for NYC. There must be some other concept besides that. At least on the Stadium Series jersey the riff on our NY logo was good. I didn’t find it boring at all.

Reactions: Throttle

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
This wasn't a place to create a new jersey that we never had though, as much as I would have been okay with the Lighthouse. It had to be a version of something we once wore.

I hate hate hate the fisherman but honestly won't give a crap when the season gets going.

Reactions: eoin92

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

The Isles original logo is kinda meh, but it’s historical enough and representative enough to keep it. It’s an old charmer I guess.

The Stadium NY was a great crest. An isles third with that logo, blue, white, and grey/silver, dropping the orange entirely would appear to be very attractive, simple, focused on NY, and a nice complimentary third.

The lighthouse is whatever, a lighthouse. I don’t get the infatuation with that logo or symbol. Fans seem to be dying for something else and routinely defer to it. It’s limiting as a logo. The Isles just do not have a theme in style and logo beyond their original logo and it seems like fans crave for it.

Reactions: MJF

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

NYI-Third.png

NYI-logodetail.png

This is still one of the best Isles concepts

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The Isles original logo is kinda meh, but it’s historical enough and representative enough to keep it. It’s an old charmer I guess.

The Stadium NY was a great crest. An isles third with that logo, blue, white, and grey/silver, dropping the orange entirely would appear to be very attractive, simple, focused on NY, and a nice complimentary third.

The lighthouse is whatever, a lighthouse. I don’t get the infatuation with that logo or symbol. Fans seem to be dying for something else and routinely defer to it. It’s limiting as a logo. The Isles just do not have a theme in style and logo beyond their original logo and it seems like fans crave for it.

Not at my laptop right now, but even removing the text from the original logo, thickening of the Island-in-circle logo could be a start.

I will forever have a side-eye to the Kraken for using the anchor. That should have been taken by NYI well before.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not at my laptop right now, but even removing the text from the original logo, thickening of the Island-in-circle logo could be a start.

I will forever have a side-eye to the Kraken for using the anchor. That should have been taken by NYI well before.
Goes back to the theme. Look at the fisherman, there’s no real relevance to a lot of what’s there. Fisherman defending a hockey net on top of a wave. The wave lines have no correlation in number to anything - there’s 2.

The lighthouse has 5 rays on either side, making 10. 4 panes of glass, 4 windows.

Someone slapped that stuff together, but no meaning was added to specific features on each logo. That’s another reason why the lighthouse logo is terrible - it’s just a drawing, nothing more. Amateur hour designer.

Reactions: MJF and Big L

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Goes back to the theme. Look at the fisherman, there’s no real relevance to a lot of what’s there. Fisherman defending a hockey net on top of a wave. The wave lines have no correlation in number to anything - there’s 2.

The lighthouse has 5 rays on either side, making 10. 4 panes of glass, 4 windows.

Someone slapped that stuff together, but no meaning was added to specific features on each logo. That’s another reason why the lighthouse logo is terrible - it’s just a drawing, nothing more. Amateur hour designer.

It could stand to be cajoled more; sure - four windows with the light, etc.

I just wish there were more to be connected, as the name immediately invokes a nautical theme......the very one that Seattle will happy exploit.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

I just wish there were more to be connected, as the name immediately invokes a nautical theme......the very one that Seattle will happy exploit.
Once upon a time, they thought about the 'what' and you got the fisherman/lighthouse combo...and according to this one thing, billy joel found his way into too. (hilarious).

https://nypost.com/2018/12/06/inside-the-disaster-that-was-the-islanders-fisherman-logo/

Distilling That Perfect Islander Image; If It's Not a Lighthouse, a Lexus or a Bloomie's Bag, What Is It? (Published 1995)

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

I have a hard time seeing that Kraken branding holding on for 10+ years. The nautical theme, I do, but that logo and word mark not so much.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Why does it have to be a nautical theme? Does it even have to be representative of Long Island? Long Island is known for being a bedroom community for NYC. There must be some other concept besides that. At least on the Stadium Series jersey the riff on our NY logo was good. I didn’t find it boring at all.

I don't think LIers would appreciate any nods to NYC. That would really miss the mark IMO.

I think a 3rd has to be nautical themed because it lends itself to a lot of good ideas that make sense given our team name/location. I don't know how you turn suburbia into a logo. I know LI has some vineyards and castles, but I certainly don't think of those things when thinking about LI.

I agree with you on the Stadium Series jersey. and I even like our current 3rds (which are basically the stadium series jersey minus the chrome look). But we all know that they're eventually going to come out with another 3rd jersey. If it isn't an NY or Islanders wordmark, I don't see what else it can be besides nautical themed. Unless we want a logo of a strip mall, bumper to bumper traffic and bagel boss.

Reactions: Quicklime

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Some of the best logos in the world are/were just drawings or abstract shapes. There doesn't have to be a bunch of meaning behind it in order for it work. It needs to be simple, memorable, and appropriate. I do agree, that particular lighthouse isn't flattering, but I'm certainly not opposed to a new lighthouse secondary or tertiary mark. I do like the NY that they use quite a bit, even though it's simple.

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't think LIers would appreciate any nods to NYC. That would really miss the mark IMO.

I think a 3rd has to be nautical themed because it lends itself to a lot of good ideas that make sense given our team name/location. I don't know how you turn suburbia into a logo. I know LI has some vineyards and castles, but I certainly don't think of those things when thinking about LI.

I agree with you on the Stadium Series jersey. and I even like our current 3rds (which are basically the stadium series jersey minus the chrome look). But we all know that they're eventually going to come out with another 3rd jersey. If it isn't an NY or Islanders wordmark, I don't see what else it can be besides nautical themed. Unless we want a logo of a strip mall, bumper to bumper traffic and bagel boss.

Basically this. The wave/lighthouse/storm thing simply fits the name.

Marketing-wise, Seattle presents issues.

I’ll not stop being PO’d that they used an anchor in the shoulder patch. That was low hanging fruit which could have made for non-bland logos for NYI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->