News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I
It's a risk for New Jersey if they allow him to talk extensions. Less teams will be involved and/or teams might be willing to give up less if they know he's a pure rental. By not allowing teams to talk to him then the teams might be under the illusion that they could convince him to sign with them so they might part with slightly more.

I guess that makes sense in a strange sort of way.

George Constanza would approve.

download (1).jpeg

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I

I guess that makes sense in a strange sort of way.

George Constanza would approve.

View attachment 292433

Simplified:

Best return is if he's signed to an extension.
Mediocre return is if a team doesn't know if he'll sign an extension because they might have a chance.
Worst return is if he's just a rental.

He'a a scratch off lottery ticket in the mediocre return. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's a risk for New Jersey if they allow him to talk extensions. Less teams will be involved and/or teams might be willing to give up less if they know he's a pure rental. By not allowing teams to talk to him then the teams might be under the illusion that they could convince him to sign with them so they might part with slightly more.

I would have thought it would be the opposite. A team would be willing to give up more if they knew for certain they were trading for a player they'd have for 7 years rather than just for the next 4 or 5 months.

Reactions: CREW99AW

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would have thought it would be the opposite. A team would be willing to give up more if they knew for certain they were trading for a player they'd have for 7 years rather than just for the next 4 or 5 months.

I think they know that he's going to free agency regardless so will try to eek out a little more based off the fact that a team might think they have a chance to re-sign him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think they know that he's going to free agency regardless so will try to eek out a little more based off the fact that a team might think they have a chance to re-sign him.
Is it just me or did the Devils shit the bed with handling this Hall situation? I'm not sure why they took him out of the lineup when they didn't have a trade pending. Now they've sped up the timeline artificially and may end up having to take an unnecessary discount in order to avoid a protracted scene. You can't really have Taylor Hall benched for a significant period of time, can you? And while he's an MVP caliber player, you can only take a deal that someone's offering. While he should be the priciest rental ever, I'm not sure teams are looking to empty the cupboards in order to lock him up for a grand total of 5 months.

If the price becomes stupid reasonable, I'd lob in an offer. And if it came with a non-blue chip prospect, I'd offer up a 1st rounder. I hate losing them but he could be the missing piece here.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is it just me or did the Devils **** the bed with handling this Hall situation? I'm not sure why they took him out of the lineup when they didn't have a trade pending. Now they've sped up the timeline artificially and may end up having to take an unnecessary discount in order to avoid a protracted scene. You can't really have Taylor Hall benched for a significant period of time, can you? And while he's an MVP caliber player, you can only take a deal that someone's offering. While he should be the priciest rental ever, I'm not sure teams are looking to empty the cupboards in order to lock him up for a grand total of 5 months.

If the price becomes stupid reasonable, I'd lob in an offer. And if it came with a non-blue chip prospect, I'd offer up a 1st rounder. I hate losing them but he could be the missing piece here.

This is reminiscent of Garth screwing up trading Guerin. Didn't Guerin sit for like a week and miss like 3/4 games? The return is going to suck because EVERYONE knows Hall is a rental.

Reactions: crasherino

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Is it just me or did the Devils **** the bed with handling this Hall situation? I'm not sure why they took him out of the lineup when they didn't have a trade pending. Now they've sped up the timeline artificially and may end up having to take an unnecessary discount in order to avoid a protracted scene. You can't really have Taylor Hall benched for a significant period of time, can you? And while he's an MVP caliber player, you can only take a deal that someone's offering. While he should be the priciest rental ever, I'm not sure teams are looking to empty the cupboards in order to lock him up for a grand total of 5 months.

I think it was a mistake to pull him without something imminent, but maybe they felt they were closer than they were? It's a tough spot to be in when other teams know they aren't going to be able to sign the guy and that the Devils need to unload him. I'd be surprised if he commanded a ton. I think it'll be an okay prospect and two picks at most.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine

Thank you for sharing this story. It seems to be that Arbour knew when players needed a pat on the back and when they needed a kick in the butt. Some coaches exemplify the adage, "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail," but Arbour was not one of those coaches.

On a related note, I don't know how junior hockey coaches turn a blind eye to the hazing and abuse that goes on. Now, I must admit that I have never experienced the culture myself, so I have a different perspective than the insiders. With that said, I'm not, in theory, opposed to coaches and older players doing things to tear down young players and build them back up, but some of these cases of abuse seem like pure sadism, inflicting physical and/or emotional pain on others for your own enjoyment with no intent of helping the younger players improve their game. Stuffing rookies into a lavatory on a bus serves no purpose. "Well, that's the way we have always done it, and the younger players eventually will get their chance to do that other players" is a messed up way of thinking, and coaches (older who men who should know better) shoulder the responsibility of teaching decency to the younger players (boys, effectively) of how to become decent young men.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think it was a mistake to pull him without something imminent, but maybe they felt they were closer than they were? It's a tough spot to be in when other teams know they aren't going to be able to sign the guy and that the Devils need to unload him. I'd be surprised if he commanded a ton. I think it'll be an okay prospect and two picks at most.

Maybe that's what happened but nothing has been reported that there was something imminent with a team - word would have gotten out by now if that were the case. While I'm sure they would like to get this out of the way and move him already, things can change a lot between now and the TDL and values and needs can rise and fall. They made their move prematurely and they can either a) put him back in the lineup and say "My bad", b) have him sit indefinitely or c) trade him for the best possible take they can get in the next few days.

None are great options. If I were the Devils and I'm not getting what I need, I'd put him back in the lineup with a mea culpa. Hopefully that will sit OK with the team and player. Hall has to know that he's put the team in a bit of bind and hopefully will respond OK to the move.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Thank you for sharing this story. It seems to be that Arbour knew when players needed a pat on the back and when they needed a kick in the butt. Some coaches exemplify the adage, "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail," but Arbour was not one of those coaches.

On a related note, I don't know how junior hockey coaches turn a blind eye to the hazing and abuse that goes on. Now, I must admit that I have never experienced the culture myself, so I have a different perspective than the insiders. With that said, I'm not, in theory, opposed to coaches and older players doing things to tear down young players and build them back up, but some of these cases of abuse seem like pure sadism, inflicting physical and/or emotional pain on others for your own enjoyment with no intent of helping the younger players improve their game. Stuffing rookies into a lavatory on a bus serves no purpose. "Well, that's the way we have always done it, and the younger players eventually will get their chance to do that other players" is a messed up way of thinking, and coaches (older who men who should know better) shoulder the responsibility of teaching decency to the younger players (boys, effectively) of how to become decent young men.
I agree. Some of the more innocent hazing may serve no purpose other than just goofing off/camaraderie/bonding (which is important too) but when, like you said, it gets into abuse territory it has no place.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I have seen a few posts comparing the Duchene/Sakic situation to Hall/Shero. Sakic was able to drag out the process until he got a return he liked because Duchene was a couple of seasons from unrestricted free agency.
Shero's problem is that Hall is only several months away

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
him sit indefinitely or c) trade him for the best possible take they can get in the next few days.

None are great options. If I were the Devils and I'm not getting what I need, I'd put him back in the lineup with a mea culpa. Hopefully that will sit OK with the team and player.

NHL players always back other players. Maybe if the Devils were cup contenders they'd be mad at Hall, but they're not. It seems like ninety percent of the Islanders have no ill will toward Tavares.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
NHL players always back other players. Maybe if the Devils were cup contenders they'd be mad at Hall, but they're not. It seems like ninety percent of the Islanders have no ill will toward Tavares.
Yeah - I don't think anyone will begrudge Hall for not signing an extension. Its just weird for a guy to be taken out of the lineup and then put back in and expected to be "all in" on playing for his team. At the end of the day though, that's what should happen here. There may not be a trade for well over a month. The Devils should just eat shit, say "We messed up - our fault" and put him back in the lineup. Its not Hall's fault he was pulled out but having him obviously being "Dead man walking" is not great for team morale.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I have seen a few posts comparing the Duchene/Sakic situation to Hall/Shero. Sakic was able to drag out the process until he got a return he liked because Duchene was a couple of seasons from unrestricted free agency.
Shero's problem is that Hall is only several months away

Funny - on the Duchene situation, I remember him being pulled out of the game against the Islanders because he was just traded.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Yeah - I don't think anyone will begrudge Hall for not signing an extension. Its just weird for a guy to be taken out of the lineup and then put back in and expected to be "all in" on playing for his team. At the end of the day though, that's what should happen here. There may not be a trade for well over a month. The Devils should just eat ****, say "We messed up - our fault" and put him back in the lineup. Its not Hall's fault he was pulled out but having him obviously being "Dead man walking" is not great for team morale.

I think part of the players always backing other players stems from a resentment toward management. Definitely seems to be us against them - on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad