Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Minnesota Wild - February 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Pionk does all the little things right. Always makes the smart play. For a young D man he's very cerebral.

TDA has got the IQ for a offensive defensemen. He can skate and sees the O zone really well. Still some learning to do on where to be in position for that shot he has but he's been very good

Gilmour, tremendous skater. Great shot that he's been able to get through. Not afraid to make a play and not a liability in his own zone. Some miss reads on both sides as expected but who didn't tonight.

This is great for moving forward. Are they more then 2 and 3 pairing D men maybe not. But that will be some good depth when they put it together.

Please trade Nash already before he starts lowering his value. Hank always ultra competitive.

Reactions: bl02 and Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How is we can't make up 3 or 4 points against teams ahead of us but we will fall more than that?
I'm not scared of teams like the Jackets, Islanders, Devils and canes. But hey if you guys wanna miss the playoffs to get a pick 5 or 6 spots higher awesome. I just don't understand the mentality especially when we just picked someone at 21 who could very well be better and more dangerous than the guy we picked at 7. and trust me in reality land it won't be a difference of 14 spots.

You honestly look at this roster, post deadline, potentially trading it’s number one defenseman, and two forwards who have scored a combined 38 goals, and see it climbing as many as 10 spots?

As far as draft position, it isn’t always that you can’t land a dangerous player with a later pick. In some cases it’s being able to get the player you want, with less risk of another team taking him. If you can land him at 21, fantastic. If not, you don’t have to risk it as much.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How is we can't make up 3 or 4 points against teams ahead of us but we will fall more than that?
I'm not scared of teams like the Jackets, Islanders, Devils and canes. But hey if you guys wanna miss the playoffs to get a pick 5 or 6 spots higher awesome. I just don't understand the mentality especially when we just picked someone at 21 who could very well be better and more dangerous than the guy we picked at 7. and trust me in reality land it won't be a difference of 14 spots.

All of the teams that you listed there are likely to be adding to their teams. I think the Jackets are flat out better than the Rangers are and Carolina has gotten the ship turned around. NYI are a cluster f*** and a half, but with JT's free agency looming I'd bet on snow doing some drastic shit. Whether or not it actually works out for the better who knows, but I'd bet on them finishing ahead of the Rangers too.

Devils have been sans Schneider for a bit and should have him back soon. Ditto Chicago with Crawford. Florida may be looking to add in a few weeks to, Friedman had them linked to Patches. They're 5 points behind with 4 games in hand on the Rangers. Detroit is within striking distance to the Rangers too but we'll see how much they strip down their team in a few weeks. It doesn't sound like management is too keen on going gung ho on selling.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You tell me. You’ve got us climbing the standings down the stretch.
If you read my posts like i read yours you would have seen the teams required to jump in order to make the playoffs. So now its your turn who are these 5 or 6 teams we need to jump in order to make the playoffs?
Just curious where do you get the number 10 spots??

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Without doubt the best game I've seen DeAngelo play. He was really good tonight. He looked comfortable on both offense and defense. I really like Pionk and IMO he should be on the Rangers next year. Gilmour I also think has earned another contract for next year and a higher placement in our prospect pool. He looks like he can play too. I'll even say Sproul didn't look bad.

That said the Rangers dug themselves a hole with giveaways in the first 6 minutes. That they may a game out of it afterwards with the lineup they had is quite an accomplishment. IMO that they won against Calgary and Winnipeg was a lot more than I expected. For the most part they are playing harder and better now and the young legs from the rookie D is a large part why.

The Rangers are not making the playoffs this year though. Once Nash, Grabner etc. move on this team is going to have difficulty winning at all. IMO there's coming a time when we should not be playing Henrik every night either.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
All of the teams that you listed there are likely to be adding to their teams. I think the Jackets are flat out better than the Rangers are and Carolina has gotten the ship turned around. NYI are a cluster **** and a half, but with JT's free agency looming I'd bet on snow doing some drastic ****. Whether or not it actually works out for the better who knows, but I'd bet on them finishing ahead of the Rangers too.

Devils have been sans Schneider for a bit and should have him back soon. Ditto Chicago with Crawford. Florida may be looking to add in a few weeks to, Friedman had them linked to Patches. They're 5 points behind with 4 games in hand on the Rangers. Detroit is within striking distance to the Rangers too but we'll see how much they strip down their team in a few weeks. It doesn't sound like management is too keen on going gung ho on selling.

Yes on paper the islanders are much better than us as well and i have not seen a team play worse than they have recently all year. With two super star centers.
None of us know what is gonna happen at the trade deadline. all speculation. for all we know we only trade nash and holden (the latter which we probably won't miss much).
The argument for climbing up a few spots could be equally made if teams like detroit and florida are gonna catch us.
I've been hearing for weeks that the oilers are gonna take off with that roster. still waiting.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If you read my posts like i read yours you would have seen the teams required to jump in order to make the playoffs. So now its your turn who are these 5 or 6 teams we need to jump in order to make the playoffs?
Just curious where do you get the number 10 spots??

The 10 spots comes from your comment of this team picking as low as 20th, ten spots lower than it currently does.

I don’t see us jumping that many teams in the standings.

So no, I don’t have a list of 5 or 6 teams we need to jump in order to make the playoffs. Because I don’t see that happening.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Without doubt the best game I've seen DeAngelo play. He was really good tonight. He looked comfortable on both offense and defense. I really like Pionk and IMO he should be on the Rangers next year. Gilmour I also think has earned another contract for next year and a higher placement in our prospect pool. He looks like he can play too. I'll even say Sproul didn't look bad.

That said the Rangers dug themselves a hole with giveaways in the first 6 minutes. That they may a game out of it afterwards with the lineup they had is quite an accomplishment. IMO that they won against Calgary and Winnipeg was a lot more than I expected. For the most part they are playing harder and better now and the young legs from the rookie D is a large part why.

The Rangers are not making the playoffs this year though. Once Nash, Grabner etc. move on this team is going to have difficulty winning at all. IMO there's coming a time when we should not be playing Henrik every night either.

Thats fine. The raw truth is hank is gonna be playing every night. There is no coach or team thats mathematically still very much in the playoffs that he's gonna be rested more than usual. Right or wrong just the facts. I mean for goodness sake the Canadiens are still starting Price.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think you're misunderstanding there.
He said the Rangers won't be able to climb 10 spots. What does that mean? am i missing something here?

I’m a little confused here myself.

My belief is that the Rangers are not good enough to leapfrog 8-10 teams and thus pick in the 18-20 range you mentioned.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes on paper the islanders are much better than us as well and i have not seen a team play worse than they have recently all year. With two super star centers.
None of us know what is gonna happen at the trade deadline. all speculation. for all we know we only trade nash and holden (the latter which we probably won't miss much).
The argument for climbing up a few spots could be equally made if teams like detroit and florida are gonna catch us.
I've been hearing for weeks that the oilers are gonna take off with that roster. still waiting.

It'll be more than Nash and Holden, unless the FO has been lying to us.

Most of the heavy lifting may not be done until the offseason, but this team has looked horrible even when at full strength. I'm glad that management actually realizes this and finds it unacceptable.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The 10 spots comes from your comment of this team picking as low as 20th, ten spots lower than it currently does.

I don’t see us jumping that many teams in the standings.

So no, I don’t have a list of 5 or 6 teams we need to jump in order to make the playoffs. Because I don’t see that happening.
But you said we need to jump 5 or 6 teams when thats not the case at all. They need to jump 2 teams possibly 3 if you wanna count the islanders.
If they won a round in the playoffs wouldn't they be picking in the 20 range? or is seeding pre determined by regular season record?? Not being smug its an honest question.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I’m a little confused here myself.

My belief is that the Rangers are not good enough to leapfrog 8-10 teams and thus pick in the 18-20 range you mentioned.
haha yes as phil collins said its a land of confusion.
I thought you meant the rangers had to climb 10 spots/teams to make the playoffs.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He's not wrong, but he needs to take the advice that Stepan gave him a few months ago in Ottawa and Relax.

Then again, it wasn't the rookies who were ****ing up.
Meh, I’m fine with Hank being mad. Their start was putrid. Lazy D zone play and mindless giveaways.

I mean, Nash literally scored on him. Holden with a brutal play to gift E Staal a 2-1. Skjei over skates the puck and loses it when it should’ve been an easy clear then seemed to screen the release from Hank on the ensuing shot. Some bad plays that were totally avoidable.

Plus it was veterans in Holden, Nash and Skjei. It’s not like he’s calling out the rooks.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It'll be more than Nash and Holden, unless the FO has been lying to us.

Most of the heavy lifting may not be done until the offseason, but this team has looked horrible even when at full strength. I'm glad that management actually realizes this and finds it unacceptable.
I don't think they are lying to us but i don't think they should be selling someone like zucc or mcdonagh for 50 cents on the dollar.
If teams offer a decent prospect and first for mcdonagh is that enough? i wouldn't take it.
Don't get me wrong i'm with you on trading our UFA's and possibly our RFA's if the deal is right.
I also want to keep somewhat of a winning culture here and continue to see these kids do well and get a taste of winning.

Reactions: NCRanger

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So...

I definitely think Pionk has a future as an NHL regular defenseman. We may have hit another nice UDFA gemstone here. I think he could complement Marc Staal on the 3rd pairing next year very nicely.

I'm not nearly as sold on Sproul and Gilmour. Part of it is the age, unusual to break in that late. Gilmour is a curiosity due to some unusual talents, but I dont see either as anything more than a long shot.

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But you said we need to jump 5 or 6 teams when thats not the case at all. They need to jump 2 teams possibly 3 if you wanna count the islanders.
If they won a round in the playoffs wouldn't they be picking in the 20 range? or is seeding pre determined by regular season record?? Not being smug its an honest question.

Oh no, I meant I don’t SEE us jumping teams at this point. Be it 2-3 to get into the playoffs, or 5-10 for whatever reason.

I mean we certainly could sneak into the playoffs. I just doubt it, especially post-deadline.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I know this might sound odd, but if front man of the legendary JD & The Straight Shot, James “Kool Kat” Dolan, thinks we can sell off yet still squeak in for the 8th spot and one round of playoff cheddar, he will be more apt to really stir up the roster , which is what we need.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
haha yes as phil collins said its a land of confusion.
I thought you meant the rangers had to climb 10 spots/teams to make the playoffs.

Well, I’m doing all this on a phone on the couch. We should both be happy my posts don’t look like English is my second language at this point.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So...

I definitely think Pionk has a future as an NHL regular defenseman. We may have hit another nice UDFA gemstone here. I think he could complement Marc Staal on the 3rd pairing next year very nicely.

I'm not nearly as sold on Sproul and Gilmour. Part of it is the age, unusual to break in that late. Gilmour is a curiosity due to some unusual talents, but I dont see either as anything more than a long shot.
Do we really have to see Staal back :(
You're right on Sproul and Gilmour albeit Gilmour has looked adequate and dare i say better than some nights at the ahl level.
Lets see what they got tho. I'm sure Shattenkirk will be back in 3-4 weeks so would be nice to see a healthy shatty with the speed of Gilmour and Pionk.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
So who will be moved first Ryan Mc near the deadline?

@bl02 I`ve notion he will bought out end of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln