Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Minnesota Wild - February 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
My point is and has always been...and still is i would rather make the playoffs then end up a spot or two away from making it. So yes I'm sorry for wanting my team playing hockey in the spring. Trade all the UFA's and RFA's (providing they are really really good deals in our favor). we are gonna be sellers and not buyers.
Of course i would love a top 5/6 pick but no way in hell that happens in the real world. With Hank in net and the crap teams that are below us.
I really tried but i can't root for my team to lose when they are three points out of a playoff spot. This roster and coach is gonna change whether we get the 10th-15th (miss playoffs) pick or the 15-20th pick.

I understand your point of view. Making the playoffs is always great, gives us something to hope for, and you never know what can happen. That said, reality needs to kick in; the team isn't winning anything this year. I'm thrilled that it has finally kicked in with team management. It's 20 years overdue! But better late than never.

The team is clearly looking to trade major assets before the deadline. Without Nash, Grabner, likely McD and Zuc, and maybe others....what possible chance does the team have to advance, let alone win one playoff game? IMO, ziltch. So while I am hoping we lose more and more games this season and drop further and further in the standings, what I'm actually doing in reality is rooting for my team to rise further and further in the draft so that the team will actually have a legitimate chance of drafting great young players or using those chips to obtain great players, and playing DEEP into the playoffs for YEARS to come. Sneaking into the playoffs only to play another 4 or 5 games does not interest me whatsoever, and clearly it doesn't interest management either, thankfully!

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
AV completely misused him.

Staal also clearly needed to adjust to leaving Carolina. Joe M was saying tonight that Staal committed himself to getting into the best shape of his life when he signed with Minny and he clearly also cleared his head and got to a good place mentally and revitalized his career.
You can blame AV for lots of things, but Staal was garbage here.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nope, not entirely. It's on the entire team leadership. It's also on the opponent....they have an agenda too.
1st goal.....Holden had a severe brain spasm, waiting, waiting.
2nd goal.....well, just seemed Nasher wanted to score on Hank.
3rd goal.....Brady fumbled and bumbled while Pionk was a bystander. Probably could've done something better than he did......just a little bump on a player, should've went after puck.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
AV completely misused him.

Staal also clearly needed to adjust to leaving Carolina. Joe M was saying tonight that Staal committed himself to getting into the best shape of his life when he signed with Minny and he clearly also cleared his head and got to a good place mentally and revitalized his career.
Not on AV at all.

What I would like to know is WHEN did he commit himself to working out? Before or after he signed with Minny? Seems we didn't have a legit chance at keeping him. If ONLY we knew he would do this......do u see how some things fall great for other teams......as we get screwed of what? 2 draft picks yet again?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You can blame AV for lots of things, but Staal was garbage here.

The situation in Carolina was beyond toxic. He needed a summer to get away. Rangers hoped that just getting away from Raleigh would energize him. They were right, but he needed time away from hockey first.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
WHy is this a good result? so we miss the playoffs by a few points and get the 15th or 16th pick instead of the 18th or 19th or 20th?
I get that you're on the "AV did nothing wrong...ish" bandwagon but I don't understand why you're pretending like you don't even understand the other argument. Why play dumb instead of disagreeing?

Are people really hoping for 15th OA? What I read it's more like the 8-12 range.

Not to mention...we're at 10 now, like others pointed out, where on Earth are you pulling 18th OA and 15th OA from? Your argument here is just very poor.

Let's say we WERE actually at 15OA right now.

The better the pick value we can get this year, the better our chances are of landing a top player or trading up in the draft for one.

If we want to trade up at some point, the 9th OA is a better bargaining chip than 18th.

If we sell and Montreal gets hot with price or Edm gets hot with McD. Florida, Detroit and Chicago are neck and neck with us. It's not hard to imagine the NYR picking 5 OA. It's actually pretty darn viable.

So get in the POs and get stomped in 1 round...? Or the 5 OA pick with a bunch of other picks and prospects obtained from trades...?It's not even remotely debatable if your goal is to start building a team that will start to blossom in a season or two from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jas

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I’ll take a less than 5% chance at a 1st overall versus watching a garbage team struggle to win a playoff round let alone the ‘Cup. I love playoff hockey but when the team is bad it’s just not fun.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
E Staal like most events was a combination of things leading up to the results

He had two injuries in Carolina leading up to the Rangers trading for him. He likely was not in the best shape as I think one of the injuries was somewhere around training camp time.

Rangers already had enough centers when they traded for him. Similar to when they added Yandle to LD, it was not a positional need.

They ended up drawing Pitt who was way better than they were.

Last nights game, I only caught parts and pieces and mostly was looking for the newbies on D, Pionk has something to him, much like in pre-season he makes good reads for the most part. Gilmour is more surprising to me in a good way. ADA is talented enough to be one of the Rangers better defensemen if he puts it all together. I did not really see Sproul.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Top three picks are determined by the lottery. So even if we don't win 1st overall, we can still move up to 2nd or 3rd. Colorado, the team with the worst record in the NHL ended up picking 4th.

Screen-Shot-2017-04-13-at-11.09.11-AM-1.png
This is what the lottery looks like as of today, according to Tankathon | 2018 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator. f***ing Blackhawks have lost 7 in a row.

Gujhdfk.png

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean, if Staal was making a million a year and had a different name, no one would really be complaining too much. It's just that he is overpaid and we remember how much better he used to be.

As a 3rd pairing guy and penalty killer, if he can keep doing what he's done this year, he's fine. Obviously I'd rather have a guy doing that on the cheap like Hodlen, but its unlikely we can move his contract.

Assuming that he does come back, Staal should be used as the 7th D moving forward. There is no rush to buy him out as the team looks like they're headed into a long term process so there is no worry about his salary keeping them from competing.

Staal gets to hang around, the better players get to play and there is less risk of further long term injury for him. Everybody wins.

Reactions: bl02

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Going from 11th to 7th nearly doubles our chances of getting a top 3 pick. That would be really big. Also, it pains me to know that there is a small chance the Islanders could have two of the top three picks.

I'm pretty sure that one is conditional. If it's top 10 Calgary keeps it and it moves to a first next season

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Fair enough. He just looks so slow in todays game.
Isn't slow, using your head and NOT getting caught out of position the definition of a "stay at home" type defenseman? If anyone should be that guy, it "should be" Marc.
What once was a very decent "offensive defenseman", makes me shiver in my boots Everytime he enters the o-zone. Simply shouldn't happen. Doesn't have the foot speed to get back, and puts too much pressure on whomever is covering. Imo.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You assume all these kids would play should we make the playoffs, i dont think that would be the case
Why wouldn't it be? If those were the kids/players that catapulted them "into" the PO's, then why would they mysteriously be taken "out" of the lineup.

Oh wait......are u implying AV would play Holden and Kampfer over.......okay, u got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->