Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Minnesota Wild - February 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think Staal stays. He’ll be overpaid, but if he can at least keep his head mostly above water on the third pair, and be a vet on a younger team, I think they tough it out.
I don't mind him on the 3rd pair. Play him with a partner with good escapability and puck moving skills and he will be fine in that role. Plus he's still a good PKer and a good veteran presence.

Obviously the contract is garbage, but it is what it is at this point. I wouldn't buy him out, especially not if we trade McD.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if Nash just returns a first and a decent prospect, but if they somehow pry a top prospect away from a team that'd be aces

re: the game, was at least nice that they settled down and made it a competitive game. Team seems hungrier with young players in the lineup which I guess isn't crazy but sometimes I wonder if the core group got complacent and too much along the lines of "we've been there, we know we just have to play our game" and never really got their urgency up

Reactions: bl02

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think Staal stays. He’ll be overpaid, but if he can at least keep his head mostly above water on the third pair, and be a vet on a younger team, I think they tough it out.

Especially if we are gonna be a rebuilding team, having his veteran presence/leadership that eats cap space for 2-3 seasons is pretty beneficial to the club.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
How is we can't make up 3 or 4 points against teams ahead of us but we will fall more than that?
I'm not scared of teams like the Jackets, Islanders, Devils and canes. But hey if you guys wanna miss the playoffs to get a pick 5 or 6 spots higher awesome. I just don't understand the mentality especially when we just picked someone at 21 who could very well be better and more dangerous than the guy we picked at 7. and trust me in reality land it won't be a difference of 14 spots.

You seriously think that this team has the coach/personnel/system to win in the playoffs? They could barely string results together at full strength for much of the season.

What is the point of just scraping in to the playoffs to get dumped out again? "Anything can happen once you're in"... except no... no it can't. Not with AV and Kampfer and DD etc. This roster is built for shit.

Much better to treat the year as a rebuilding year and improve our chances of building a good core.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
You seriously think that this team has the coach/personnel/system to win in the playoffs? They could barely string results together at full strength for much of the season.

What is the point of just scraping in to the playoffs to get dumped out again? "Anything can happen once you're in"... except no... no it can't. Not with AV and Kampfer and DD etc. This roster is built for ****.

Much better to treat the year as a rebuilding year and improve our chances of building a good core.
Playing in the playoffs would be incredible for the growth and development of ADA, Pionk, Gilmore, etc. Hell, maybe Chytil and LA get called up as well.

Reactions: Siddi and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

What is the point of just scraping in to the playoffs to get dumped out again? "Anything can happen once you're in"... except no... no it can't. Not with AV and Kampfer and DD etc. This roster is built for ****.

My point is and has always been...and still is i would rather make the playoffs then end up a spot or two away from making it. So yes I'm sorry for wanting my team playing hockey in the spring. Trade all the UFA's and RFA's (providing they are really really good deals in our favor). we are gonna be sellers and not buyers.
Of course i would love a top 5/6 pick but no way in hell that happens in the real world. With Hank in net and the crap teams that are below us.
I really tried but i can't root for my team to lose when they are three points out of a playoff spot. This roster and coach is gonna change whether we get the 10th-15th (miss playoffs) pick or the 15-20th pick.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So...

I definitely think Pionk has a future as an NHL regular defenseman. We may have hit another nice UDFA gemstone here. I think he could complement Marc Staal on the 3rd pairing next year very nicely.

I'm not nearly as sold on Sproul and Gilmour. Part of it is the age, unusual to break in that late. Gilmour is a curiosity due to some unusual talents, but I dont see either as anything more than a long shot.

Great to hear about Pionk, haven’t seen the game myself yet.

I also think it’s a relevant factor to keep in mind that if guys like TDA, Pionk and Gilmour plays a couple of years in the NHL they will not only grow into it a bit — their trade value litterary sky rockets. It’s good asset management to make NHLers of these kids.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kids played well.

Best news is they made it through this game with no injuries. Thursday is pretty much an automatic loss, no matter how bad the Islanders play, they always hulk up vs. the Rangers.

I'll be very happy if they can make it to the trade deadline without any injuries so Gorton can do what he needs to do and get assets back.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Bottom line is unless the Rangers are picking top 3-4, the draft is a crapshoot. There is just as good a chance of pulling a stud at 15 as there is at 7.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Is the bottom fifteen positions determined by the lottery, or is it just first overall?
Top three picks are determined by the lottery. So even if we don't win 1st overall, we can still move up to 2nd or 3rd. Colorado, the team with the worst record in the NHL ended up picking 4th.

Screen-Shot-2017-04-13-at-11.09.11-AM-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->