New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
If you really insist on avoiding NYC driving then maybe you should park in Westchester and take Metro North down into Grand Central. It'll be a more comfortable ride and you'll have overhead luggage space

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yeah if you’re coming down the Thruway and don’t want to drive into the city, I would look at White Plains or Tarrytown. There’s a Marriott in Tarrytown right off the Thruway. White plains has a Crown Plaza that’s reasonable. Metro trains from both into GCT.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I am in the barstools in 223. They are awesome. Everyone who has ever bought tix from me has said they never want to sit anywhere else again.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
So I'm bringing the family to NYC for about a week in October as part of our North American holiday.
Most of the stuff we'll want to see/do is in Manhattan, but with how expensive accommodation is, are we better off staying either side of it (Jackson Heights, Astoria, West NY) and commuting in/out each day, or would the time spent on transit plus $$ end up making it about a wash? I'm assuming there's a few transport options to get into Manhattan and we should be ok crowd wise if we avoid peak hours.
Also, are there any areas that are more 'family' (12 year old and 7 year old) friendly?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So I'm bringing the family to NYC for about a week in October as part of our North American holiday.
Most of the stuff we'll want to see/do is in Manhattan, but with how expensive accommodation is, are we better off staying either side of it (Jackson Heights, Astoria, West NY) and commuting in/out each day, or would the time spent on transit plus $$ end up making it about a wash? I'm assuming there's a few transport options to get into Manhattan and we should be ok crowd wise if we avoid peak hours.
Also, are there any areas that are more 'family' (12 year old and 7 year old) friendly?
Your transit cost is a $2.75 subway ride, but I assume you'll be taking the subway in Manhattan anyways so that's a wash. Extra transit time is essentially zero if you stay in long island city and maybe an extra half hour in astoria, 40 minutes in jackson heights. All depends on your budget and how much you want to spend on the hotel. As for kid friendly, just stay away from the clubs and museum of sex and they'll be just fine :thumbu:

Reactions: mike14

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Any recommendations on nightclubs in Manhattan? Going in a few weeks. Preference is something with hip hop.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Any recommendations on nightclubs in Manhattan? Going in a few weeks. Preference is something with hip hop.

Really depends on the vibe you're going for - Marquee may be the most well known but if I was travelling to NYC and wanted to get a feel for their local club scene I wouldn't go to a place that also has a location in Vegas.

If you google "nightclub hip hop lower east side nyc" you'll find a solid list of places that I'd prefer to a place like Marquee. But it all depends on your personal taste - I'd look at the Yelp reviews and pictures and see what looks more suitable for you.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Really depends on the vibe you're going for - Marquee may be the most well known but if I was travelling to NYC and wanted to get a feel for their local club scene I wouldn't go to a place that also has a location in Vegas.

If you google "nightclub hip hop lower east side nyc" you'll find a solid list of places that I'd prefer to a place like Marquee. But it all depends on your personal taste - I'd look at the Yelp reviews and pictures and see what looks more suitable for you.

Awesome thanks a lot. Will be in town during the Wrestlemania weekend so still have some time to figure it out.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Hi Guys, my wife has been on a work assignment in Manhattan so im spending about half my time here...

Wondering if you guys could recommend some of the better bars in this city to catch the NHL playoff games? Especially if they'd be willing to throw on the Leafs-Bruins. Thanks!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hi Guys, my wife has been on a work assignment in Manhattan so im spending about half my time here...

Wondering if you guys could recommend some of the better bars in this city to catch the NHL playoff games? Especially if they'd be willing to throw on the Leafs-Bruins. Thanks!
There isn't really a Leafs bar in Manhattan, to my knowledge.

Flying Puck is one of the popular Rangers bars right by MSG, and I'm sure if you walked in and said "f*** the Bruins" they'd be happy to oblige. I'm not the hugest fan of them, but it's a neat place.

Kelley's Sports Bar in the East Village could be a good one, though I think they are primarily a Sabres bar? But...I think the same advice as above follows :P

Honestly, I don't think you'll be too hard pressed to find a sports bar in the city, especially one that's willing to turn on the game.

Reactions: Hockey Crazy

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

I think the sports book places like at the Meadowlands or Atlantic City have all the games on

Reactions: Hockey Crazy

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Flying Puck is one of the popular Rangers bars right by MSG, and I'm sure if you walked in and said "**** the Bruins" they'd be happy to oblige. I'm not the hugest fan of them, but it's a neat place.

Kelley's Sports Bar in the East Village could be a good one, though I think they are primarily a Sabres bar? But...I think the same advice as above follows :P

Honestly, I don't think you'll be too hard pressed to find a sports bar in the city, especially one that's willing to turn on the game.
Thanks! I'll try some of those out... I went to watch the islanders leafs last night at the flying puck but it looked like it was closed... the windows were covered up like it was under renovation or closed for good... not sure what happened.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

My favorite sports bar in the city is Standings on E 7th. It's a bit of a dive but they've got good beer and everyone is there to watch sports. They've got a bunch of TVs so they'll put on any game you want, just ask.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
My favorite sports bar in the city is Standings on E 7th. It's a bit of a dive but they've got good beer and everyone is there to watch sports. They've got a bunch of TVs so they'll put on any game you want, just ask.
Awesome that sounds like my kind of spot

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Where are you staying?

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny

Flying Puck is one of the popular Rangers bars right by MSG, and I'm sure if you walked in and said "**** the Bruins" they'd be happy to oblige. I'm not the hugest fan of them, but it's a neat place.

Flying Puck is closed right now and has been for at least a week. Ive been going there since it opened and Im kind of pissed. Anyone know why its closed or when its reopenning or a better bar in a similar area?

I like that it had the sound on for the games and the drinks weren't super expensive and the bartenders were alright to talk to.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Curious if anyone else has a recommendation for playoff games after Flying Puck has closed. It was my go to for knowing I'd be able to see playoff games for sure. Trying to find a place tonight that will have them on, and I'm sure most places will have the area teams (Mets/Yanks/Knicks/Nets/Isles) on tonight.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Hey everyone,

Canucks fan coming in peace! My girlfriend and I are going to be staying in Lower Manhattan in a couple of weeks' time. We thought it'd be cool to take the Staten Island Ferry over and: 1) avoid driving around Manhattan, 2) see the Statue of Liberty up close.

The problem: we're not sure what to about the parking situation. Are there any week long parking spots you can think of in decent proximity to the Staten Island Ferry? I'm fine paying $10/day or whatever it costs, just would rather make sure we don't accidentally park in a bad neighbourhood. More specifically we'd be looking to park from a Wednesday to Friday morning.

Cheers,

PS - I really like what your team is doing. I'm envious of the quick action Gorton's taken on your rebuild and think we'll see you guys in the playoffs way before my team (only 6 years into the rebuild and counting)

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Hey everyone,

Canucks fan coming in peace! My girlfriend and I are going to be staying in Lower Manhattan in a couple of weeks' time. We thought it'd be cool to take the Staten Island Ferry over and: 1) avoid driving around Manhattan, 2) see the Statue of Liberty up close.

The problem: we're not sure what to about the parking situation. Are there any week long parking spots you can think of in decent proximity to the Staten Island Ferry? I'm fine paying $10/day or whatever it costs, just would rather make sure we don't accidentally park in a bad neighbourhood. More specifically we'd be looking to park from a Wednesday to Friday morning.

Cheers,

PS - I really like what your team is doing. I'm envious of the quick action Gorton's taken on your rebuild and think we'll see you guys in the playoffs way before my team (only 6 years into the rebuild and counting)
So wait, you're driving in and you want to park on SI? Forget it man, that makes no sense. Go to NYC Parking - Find. Compare. Save. | BestParking and find a garage that meets your price requirements, or go park in Queens for free. I wouldn't worry about bad neighborhoods, NYC is pretty safe but some of the worst neighborhoods in NYC are on the North shore of Staten Island around the projects, or deep into Brooklyn / up in the Bronx where you're not going to be. Being in Lower Manhattan you can take a round trip any time on the Ferry for free and not have to worry about hauling luggage.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad