New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Anyone have suggestions for a Sunday lunch restaurant? Has to have vegetarian options on the menu. Manhattan, bronx, or Westchester. Thanks.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Whoa this thread is fantastic!!! I just got my own apartment finally, living alone, SO HAPPY to be single and free and supporting myself, but I live in Jackson NJ, so getting to NYC and back is a whole day but I do it every once in a while, I am from Brooklyn so I see my relatives there. But that list of places and things to do was great, by the OP, idk where the hell you found all that data and content and organized it so well. I'm printing that **** out and putting it on my bulletin board for future reference when I go into NYC with my friends or by myself.

Whoa, I just took a look at the OP and realized there's still info in there that I posted in this thread years ago, so I guess I'll take partial credit haha :DD Everything from "Best Views of the City" on down was the part that I wrote back in the day.. I actually made it as a travel guide for a friend and ended up just posting all of it in this thread.

Gonna have to update all the info at some point - noticed a few things on there are closed! Guess that's NYC for you. But I can think of plenty of new recommendations where those came from :)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Love paying the rent that I do and having a landlord that doesn't answer her phone and her voicemail is full

giphy.gif

Reactions: Rongomania

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Do they prevent people from getting in and blocking egress?
Getting in as in holding the doors or do you mean this on a more theoretical scale

If so politics will always screw the MTA and trains

But these are supposed to have better propulsion and wider doors/walk ways, not that that will stop the people who would normally cause delays due to selfishness/disrespect.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
More of a crack on whether new technology can remedy rudeness :laugh:
I edited my post for this :laugh:

Only real recently have I noticed people are rude f***s getting on and off the train. It's always been wait for everyone who is getting off to get off, then enter.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Just ate my way through Flushing. White Bear, Nan Xiang XLB, Fu Run, Tian Jin, and New Flushing Bakery. Diet starts tomorrow.

Reactions: Greg02

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Read first page and last
Wife and I are staying midtown 56th and 7th ( I may have that reversed but there is only one)
for a week over thanksgiving
Thinking of getting a week long subway pass.
Is this something that would be useful or are cabs the better way to go? We will be with a group so there will be times 4 or more could be sharing a cab.
Also thinking of seeing a Rangers game ( will avoid vs Islanders), is there a section to avoid? Not snobs but would kind of like to see the game as long as I am in the arena.
How early should I get outside to see the Thanksgiving parade? I am with a large group but wil ditch them if need be. I will go the night before to see the balloons in the staging area. ( wife is very excited for bags of gas ( insert joke about me here)
Thanks

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
100% get the weekly metrocard for $32. You'll spend the same on single cab ride across town and the cab won't save you time anyway. Spend the money on food and drink. Plus, people-watching on the subway is part of the experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lepardi and Sarge13

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
100% get the weekly metrocard for $32. You'll spend the same on single cab ride across town and the cab won't save you time anyway. Spend the money on food and drink. Plus, people-watching on the subway is part of the experience.
That was my thought. Everywhere I have to be that week is within a block of my hotel. Everything else I have no time constraints.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Open gangway between all train cars so now the entire train will get the added benefit of the fecal smell from the homeless guy sleeping across 6 seats

Improved PA system so you can better hear the conductor announce after shutting the doors that the train is skipping the next 8 stops.

Last edited:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada

If I'm staying in the Meadowlands, does that card work for me?

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Not really sure where to post this as there's no OT related thread so I guess this will have to do. But me and my friends went to see Bill Burr at the Garden and by god he didn't disappoint. This is my second time seeing him, ( saw him in '13 at the Beacon Theatre, and he was amazing then ) but this time was an all time performance. I may be a bit more of a fan boy but he's up there with Eddie Murphy, Dave Chapelle, Richard Pryor, etc. for GOAT stand up comedian.

His set was supposed to be from 8:45 to 9:45
( sold out crowd so they took a little longer to start the opening acts and all that. ) but he went on until 10:20, saying "I know I've been going on long enough but c'mon...this is MSG". No matter where you see him though, I highly recommend him, amazing performer. His set is very organic and natural, he flows from one joke to the next without it feeling forced at all.

I probably sound like a shill at this point, but I had such a good time and just had to tell someone else besides my friends who are getting annoyed with me at this point :laugh:

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Not really sure where to post this as there's no OT related thread so I guess this will have to do. But me and my friends went to see Bill Burr at the Garden and by god he didn't disappoint. This is my second time seeing him, ( saw him in '13 at the Beacon Theatre, and he was amazing then ) but this time was an all time performance. I may be a bit more of a fan boy but he's up there with Eddie Murphy, Dave Chapelle, Richard Pryor, etc. for GOAT stand up comedian.

His set was supposed to be from 8:45 to 9:45
( sold out crowd so they took a little longer to start the opening acts and all that. ) but he went on until 10:20, saying "I know I've been going on long enough but c'mon...this is MSG". No matter where you see him though, I highly recommend him, amazing performer. His set is very organic and natural, he flows from one joke to the next without it feeling forced at all.

I probably sound like a shill at this point, but I had such a good time and just had to tell someone else besides my friends who are getting annoyed with me at this point :laugh:

Ugh my sister and her fiancée were there and I got non-stop updates. Heard he killed. Sounds amazing.

I would have loved to have seen that all time ‘Philly performance’.. One of the greatest comedy shows of the century.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Will be going to my first game on the 2nd (Jets fan from Nova Scotia). What am I looking at for beer and food prices at MSG? Also best place to get pizza in Manhattan?? Really looking forward to it. Hope I dont get too much flak for wearing my Jets jersey

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Will be going to my first game on the 2nd (Jets fan from Nova Scotia). What am I looking at for beer and food prices at MSG? Also best place to get pizza in Manhattan?? Really looking forward to it. Hope I dont get too much flak for wearing my Jets jersey

You should be fine with your jersey. It’s not rowdy like that anymore at MSG.

For beeers if you’re drinking Coors, bud or bud light it’s actually not that bad. You can get 25oz cans for $12.50. Locally two bottles would cost way more. Drafts will run you the same for 16oz inside.

I’ll leave food for others as I can’t remember what anything costs anymore. I’m usually a few drinks in and grab whatever when i go.

Reactions: Pongs21

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

For a traditional NYC slice of pizza in Manhattan, I always tell everyone to go to Joes on Carmine Street. If you want to try a great brick oven pie, there is John's on Bleecker Street (they don't sell slices). You cannot go wrong with either of those choices.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Crease

LI NYR

Apr 11, 2007
My apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this. I was gifted tickets in the signature suite level. I was told there is a separate entrance gate for the suites. I'm taking my son for his 1st live game and would love to bring him down closer to ice level for warm ups. But does anyone know if you can go down to the ice level for warm-ups and then go up to the suites after?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
My apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this. I was gifted tickets in the signature suite level. I was told there is a separate entrance gate for the suites. I'm taking my son for his 1st live game and would love to bring him down closer to ice level for warm ups. But does anyone know if you can go down to the ice level for warm-ups and then go up to the suites after?

Yeah, won't be an issue. You might have to take a specific elevator up to the suites though on the 7th avenue side of the arena after warmups, presumably from the 6th floor. I don't think any of the towers go up to that level (B and C definitely don't since they're on the other end of the arena, I think A and D go straight up to bridge level).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad