New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
So wait, you're driving in and you want to park on SI? Forget it man, that makes no sense. Go to NYC Parking - Find. Compare. Save. | BestParking and find a garage that meets your price requirements, or go park in Queens for free. I wouldn't worry about bad neighborhoods, NYC is pretty safe but some of the worst neighborhoods in NYC are on the North shore of Staten Island around the projects, or deep into Brooklyn / up in the Bronx where you're not going to be. Being in Lower Manhattan you can take a round trip any time on the Ferry for free and not have to worry about hauling luggage.

Appreciate the tips! It sounds like SI is a bad idea for anything other than a round trip ferry to see the statue. Taking a brief look the parking will add up over 5 days. Is free overnight street parking in Queens fairly easy to find then?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Appreciate the tips! It sounds like SI is a bad idea for anything other than a round trip ferry to see the statue. Taking a brief look the parking will add up over 5 days. Is free overnight street parking in Queens fairly easy to find then?
In my opinion, yes. Queens is pretty residential in many neighborhoods. Just make sure to read the signs. Bring a tape measure. No, I'm not joking. If you park an inch too close to a fire hydrant, it's a huge fine. Many of the sidewalks in Queens aren't marked around the hydrants, so it's hard to tell how close is too close. Also, be aware of the street sweeper schedules posted. The cops line up and are ready to ticket if your car isn't gone the millisecond the appointed hour strikes, regardless of whether or not the sweeper is actually there yet.

Not saying any of this to deter you from street parking. If you read the signs carefully and follow the rules (not parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, not blocking driveways, etc.), you'll be fine. It's just that one ticket can eat up all the money you're trying to save, so be careful.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
What does parking run at Port Authority these days?

Coming up in the fall for a concert in Times Square. Staying in Jersey so we can see family the day before. Wife and daughter are wanting to have an early dinner in Little Italy first, then the concert.

I assume that's the still the 1 or the 2 and walk?

Looking at the cost of NJ Transit, and taking the risk that the show doesn't potentially run until 1 AM, is making me seriously consider driving in.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
What does parking run at Port Authority these days?

Coming up in the fall for a concert in Times Square. Staying in Jersey so we can see family the day before. Wife and daughter are wanting to have an early dinner in Little Italy first, then the concert.

I assume that's the still the 1 or the 2 and walk?

Looking at the cost of NJ Transit, and taking the risk that the show doesn't potentially run until 1 AM, is making me seriously consider driving in.
If you can convince them to avoid the tourist traps in Little Italy and find a good Italian place in Chelsea or Hell's Kitchen instead, you could drive in through the tunnel, park at one of the lots near the Garden or Javits Center (or even on the street if you get lucky).

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
In my opinion, yes. Queens is pretty residential in many neighborhoods. Just make sure to read the signs. Bring a tape measure. No, I'm not joking. If you park an inch too close to a fire hydrant, it's a huge fine. Many of the sidewalks in Queens aren't marked around the hydrants, so it's hard to tell how close is too close. Also, be aware of the street sweeper schedules posted. The cops line up and are ready to ticket if your car isn't gone the millisecond the appointed hour strikes, regardless of whether or not the sweeper is actually there yet.

Not saying any of this to deter you from street parking. If you read the signs carefully and follow the rules (not parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, not blocking driveways, etc.), you'll be fine. It's just that one ticket can eat up all the money you're trying to save, so be careful.

I appreciate the pointers! I'll take the time to make sure all the rules are followed- like you said the worst case scenario is getting a ticket while parking in a more inconvenient spot.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Hey everyone,

Canucks fan coming in peace! My girlfriend and I are going to be staying in Lower Manhattan in a couple of weeks' time. We thought it'd be cool to take the Staten Island Ferry over and: 1) avoid driving around Manhattan, 2) see the Statue of Liberty up close.

The problem: we're not sure what to about the parking situation. Are there any week long parking spots you can think of in decent proximity to the Staten Island Ferry? I'm fine paying $10/day or whatever it costs, just would rather make sure we don't accidentally park in a bad neighbourhood. More specifically we'd be looking to park from a Wednesday to Friday morning.

Cheers,

PS - I really like what your team is doing. I'm envious of the quick action Gorton's taken on your rebuild and think we'll see you guys in the playoffs way before my team (only 6 years into the rebuild and counting)
Parking near the SI Ferry is a disaster. Lot is small and may even be worse than the last time I was there now that the shopping plaza is open.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Currently on vacation in NYC, surpriced that the flying puck is no more..

What happened?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
You know I hate that graffiti and defacement already happened at the refurbished Sea Beach N train stops. Stupid tags everywhere and trash everywhere.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Currently on vacation in NYC, surpriced that the flying puck is no more..

What happened?

I walked by the other day and was shocked to see all the windows papered over.
My guess is that the landlord is asking a fortune for the space, and the cost to rent no longer fits the business model for Flying Puck... You won't have any customers if you need to charge $25 a pint to make your rent.
This is not uncommon in today's Manhattan.

On another sad note, Tracks Bar and Grille inside Penn will be shuttered. A glamorous new entrance into Penn Station from 33rd and 7th will force their eviction.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/13/penn-station-construction-to-close-over-10-retail-businesses-inside/

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I walked by the other day and was shocked to see all the windows papered over.
My guess is that the landlord is asking a fortune for the space, and the cost to rent no longer fits the business model for Flying Puck... You won't have any customers if you need to charge $25 a pint to make your rent.
This is not uncommon in today's Manhattan.

On another sad note, Tracks Bar and Grille inside Penn will be shuttered. A glamorous new entrance into Penn Station from 33rd and 7th will force their eviction.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/13/penn-station-construction-to-close-over-10-retail-businesses-inside/
It's pretty stupid, commercial landlords are still in complete denial

It's no secret that landlords cannot fill Manhattan retail spaces anymore, the vacancy rate is about 30% for Manhattan storefronts. Walk down any major street in the entire borough and you can count all the empty stores one after another. They are grasping at their rent projection spreadsheets which have no bearing on reality anymore.

Amazon killed profitability for brick and mortar stores. There are still thousands of potential store owners eager to open shop, but they're not going to pay the stupid rents they're trying to get. It's all going to crash sooner or later, even the wealthiest landlords can't hold an empty space for 5+ years

VACANT NEW YORK

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I'm drawing a blank on what the name of the Irish bar that was in that spot before Tracks. I had many a beer in that place. Anyone recall?

It was a McAnn's. I think it closed in '96. Definitely post-Cup.

It was, at the time of its closing, the longest bar in New York City. (Longer than what is in Tracks now; the bar went probably an extra 20-25 feet) before the hot sandwich board. There was booth seating in the back.

They used to have $1.15 (not a typo) draft mugs of Miller. They must have had a sweetheart lease before all was said and done. It remained empty for quite a while (3 or 4 years IIRC). Charely O's (and eventually TGI Fridays) across the concourse was the only watering hole on the LIRR concourse for some time.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It was a McAnn's. I think it closed in '96. Definitely post-Cup.

It was, at the time of its closing, the longest bar in New York City. (Longer than what is in Tracks now; the bar went probably an extra 20-25 feet) before the hot sandwich board. There was booth seating in the back.

They used to have $1.15 (not a typo) draft mugs of Miller. They must have had a sweetheart lease before all was said and done. It remained empty for quite a while (3 or 4 years IIRC). Charely O's (and eventually TGI Fridays) across the concourse was the only watering hole on the LIRR concourse for some time.

Was definitely McAnn's & it was absolutely open during the cup run. :thumbu: Had a few beers before many playoff games that year.

That bar was EXTRA long, but I didn't realize it was the longest bar in the city. I was extremely sad when it closed. The beer was cold & cheap, although the clientele (including myself!) could be a little shady at times.

I was never a fan of Charley Os in Penn. The one upstairs was only slightly better, but the food sucked in both locations.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

It's no secret that landlords cannot fill Manhattan retail spaces anymore, the vacancy rate is about 30% for Manhattan storefronts. Walk down any major street in the entire borough and you can count all the empty stores one after another. They are grasping at their rent projection spreadsheets which have no bearing on reality anymore.

Amazon killed profitability for brick and mortar stores. There are still thousands of potential store owners eager to open shop, but they're not going to pay the stupid rents they're trying to get. It's all going to crash sooner or later, even the wealthiest landlords can't hold an empty space for 5+ years

VACANT NEW YORK

Lots of vacancy for sure. I think the business model for retail is moving towards small showrooms with online purchase/delivery.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Was definitely McAnn's & it was absolutely open during the cup run. :thumbu: Had a few beers before many playoff games that year.

That bar was EXTRA long, but I didn't realize it was the longest bar in the city. I was extremely sad when it closed. The beer was cold & cheap, although the clientele (including myself!) could be a little shady at times.

I was never a fan of Charley Os in Penn. The one upstairs was only slightly better, but the food sucked in both locations.

The only reason I know it was the longest bar in Manhattan when it closed was that the news made mention of it at the time.

There were a lot of "old school" Irish bars around Penn that I remember frequenting that are no longer with us: The Blarney Stone on W32nd (btw 6th and 7th); McAnn's in Penn; the Blarney Rock on 8th Ave, just south of W31st... places you could get a cold beer and a hot sandwich plate for under $10, and most times even less. Hot Pastrami, mashed potatoes with gravy, served on a cafeteria china and tray... I miss thos old places, that looked as if they were designed to serve Rhinegold and Schaefer on draught instead of Bud and Coors Light in a long-neck bottle, let alone Guinness in any form... I used to gravitate to those places. Don't know why...

I never liked Charley O's either. My banker buddies who worked late shifts processing checks would always muster there before taking the train home to the local watering hole.

With the closing of Tracks, there will be no watering hole on the LIRR Concourse...

Reactions: Synergy27

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

FYI, you get a 5 minute grace period before they can ticket.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

VACANT NEW YORK

Yeah. I get wanting to maximize your rent, but when you kick a tenant out and still have a vacant space two years later I have to question the business sense.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Yeah. I get wanting to maximize your rent, but when you kick a tenant out and still have a vacant space two years later I have to question the business sense.
There was this one restaurant literally in the middle of nowhere in LIC Queens that opened in 2010 called "M. Wells". I mean there was nothing there except an onramp to the QM Tunnel and the Hunters point station. The place had been vacant and they only signed a 1-year lease. The restaurant had a cult following and people made the trip there based on their reputation. The landlord decided to up the rent by like 500% and they had to close. 8 years later, the place is still boarded up. They tried getting a new restaurant tenant but they went out of business in a few months because they had no foot traffic. Morons

Reactions: Greg02

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There was this one restaurant literally in the middle of nowhere in LIC Queens that opened in 2010 called "M. Wells". I mean there was nothing there except an onramp to the QM Tunnel and the Hunters point station. The place had been vacant and they only signed a 1-year lease. The restaurant had a cult following and people made the trip there based on their reputation. The landlord decided to up the rent by like 500% and they had to close. 8 years later, the place is still boarded up. They tried getting a new restaurant tenant but they went out of business in a few months because they had no foot traffic. Morons
Wait. M Wells closed? That place was amazing. Bone marrow French Onion Soup

Edit: Just checked. On Crescent street, right? It's still open. Or so says the internet.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Wait. M Wells closed? That place was amazing. Bone marrow French Onion Soup

Edit: Just checked. On Crescent street, right? It's still open. Or so says the internet.
When they got kicked out of their lease in 2011, MoMA gave them space to re-open. They rebranded as a steakhouse or something, they may have moved again since then. The original location was on 49th ave between 21st & Skillman where they lost the lease

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When they got kicked out of their lease in 2011, MoMA gave them space to re-open. They rebranded as a steakhouse or something, they may have moved again since then. The original location was on 49th ave between 21st & Skillman where they lost the lease
Ahh. The place in LIC is truly amazing. Took me on my third time there to actually order a steak.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Molly Wee is still standing, right? Always a good place before a game. Or at least was.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Molly Wee is still standing, right? Always a good place before a game. Or at least was.

Not sure I'd go to Molly Wee. Though it was the early 2000's, my Ex worked there, used to tell me about the big rats she used to see in the kitchen.... then again, if you believe every NYC business has rats and is no big deal then you're good.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I can't believe the Blarney Rock closed. I loved that scalawag place. I think the first time I went drinking there before a Rangers game I was in High School.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad