Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
The Doctor prefers Social Distancing from stalkers...
Then stop responding. Nothing is being gained and this happens entirely too often. One of you needs to be the bigger man and just walk away.

just walk away.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No idea what "spot" you are referencing Pink. I specifically said "face off circles and slot" which encompasses most of the lower offensive zone around the goalie and above the goal line. Pretty widely and unanimously considered the high danger scoring areas. Look man you're just wrong. Find another reason to pick a fight.

For the record you replied to my comment, not the other way around.

Actually for the record, you replied to my comment but you couched it as 'someone said'. And again, you resort to not quoting to try and slide in what you want to say without directly responding. When I said what I said, it was in reference to the faceoff dot not the huge circle around it that you're only trying to talk about the closest distances from the net within that circle which is hilariously and deliberately misleading.

But yeah, you're going to continue giving your attitude because you screwed up in responding to me how you did with the tone you do in the way that you do not quoting. You continue to show you're incapable of having a real conversation without making yourself out to be a martyr. The only one who picks a fight here is you because apparently anytime now I respond to you with something, you're treating it as if I'm picking a fight when I'm just making a point in a conversation. You're the one making it out to be more than it is and you need to stop.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t give a f$&k. Make it Kevin Constantine for all I care. If we have a season next year that’s a cause to celebrate. Stay safe, friends!

c rachoff

Dec 13, 2019
I haven't been watching hockey lately, got a lot going on. I'm not sure whose going to be the head guy next year but, a quick glance at the standings today did tell me one thing. It looks like our new coach will be inheriting a Sharks team with the worst record in the Western Conference. Looks like the Sharks run as a perennial contender is done. Last place in the conference?I 'm not sure it can be fixed anytime soon or at all.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Seeing the way Burns has played this past couple of weeks really makes me think there is merit to the idea that long-term, the Sharks are better off with Karlsson OR Burns, but not both. Both players need too much ice time and too much responsibility to be at their best.

Reactions: Gunnin54

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Well, rumors are cap numbers for next season could be 81.5m/flat - no increase.
For me that hurts our ability to redo the top portion of our roster as we won't
have cap space for it. Given we are impacted in this way i favor 100% getting
a new/better coach over retaining BB next year as head coach. Feels to me
like coaching/systems are needed to compensate for what could be a weaker
roster due to the cap limitations, etc. So i'm back to getting Lavi as our head
coach. Way more experience, history of playoffs and he's got a cup.
Stated another way, BB with a not much better and healthy roster feels risky to me.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Well, rumors are cap numbers for next season could be 81.5m/flat - no increase.
For me that hurts our ability to redo the top portion of our roster as we won't
have cap space for it. Given we are impacted in this way i favor 100% getting
a new/better coach over retaining BB next year as head coach. Feels to me
like coaching/systems are needed to compensate for what could be a weaker
roster due to the cap limitations, etc. So i'm back to getting Lavi as our head
coach. Way more experience, history of playoffs and he's got a cup.
Stated another way, BB with a not much better and healthy roster feels risky to me.
I thought BBs system looked great considering the lack of talent. Mostly pessimistic outlook as the roster: no real additions, can't get rid of Vlasic, jones, Labanc etc... Same roster but adding the Russian goalie, 2 college players and the Swedish center. The AHL guys now have a partial year experience and know better what to expect. BB gets a training camp to get everyone on the same page. Hertl, Couture and EK65 all healthy (hopefully). Jones plays as he did the last few weeks of the season .927 sv (approx) (hopefully). That team is more than likely at least a challenger for a playoff spot under BBs system.

Now if any of the young players turns into a 20-25 goal scorer and Hertl & EK65 go back to being dominant and Jones shows that all he needed was rest...? At least a middle of the pack playoff team.

Reactions: themelkman

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
I thought BBs system looked great considering the lack of talent. Mostly pessimistic outlook as the roster: no real additions, can't get rid of Vlasic, jones, Labanc etc... Same roster but adding the Russian goalie, 2 college players and the Swedish center. The AHL guys now have a partial year experience and know better what to expect. BB gets a training camp to get everyone on the same page. Hertl, Couture and EK65 all healthy (hopefully). Jones plays as he did the last few weeks of the season .927 sv (approx) (hopefully). That team is more than likely at least a challenger for a playoff spot under BBs system.

Now if any of the young players turns into a 20-25 goal scorer and Hertl & EK65 go back to being dominant and Jones shows that all he needed was rest...? At least a middle of the pack playoff team.

More likely we get 1st overall next year than all of those things happening.

Reactions: STL Shark

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Besides we don’t want the 1st pick in 2021, getting Shane Wright in 2022 is preferable lol
This was it. Sharks aren't picking this high again for a while. DW will do everything possible to make sure they don't have 2 shit years in a row. Sharks are at least a bubble team or better for the next few years.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

That's pretty big news. I'd like to think we can move him back into the contracted associate role, perhaps with some type of pay bum? Given he was fired after two years in Florida, and SJ sucked, I'd imagine he's not an unbelievably hot commodity.

I'd like to see him back in the associates role, though a new head coach may have his own guys. I like Laviolette. I'm intrigued by Gallant even though I despise him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That's pretty big news. I'd like to think we can move him back into the contracted associate role, perhaps with some type of pay bum? Given he was fired after two years in Florida, and SJ sucked, I'd imagine he's not an unbelievably hot commodity.

I'd like to see him back in the associates role, though a new head coach may have his own guys. I like Laviolette. I'm intrigued by Gallant even though I despise him.
No shot that he is back as an assistant and it has nothing to do with his abilities in that role. No incoming head coach is going to keep his predecessor who likely has a contingent of the locker room in his corner around. Great way to be undermined from day 1 if you do something like that. He is either back as HC or he is gone from the organization forever. Really no in between whatsoever in this situation.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Wasn't there some coach in Europe or something who was being looked at as a possible good candidate for an NHL job? Why keep recycling the same NHL coaches across the league? I can't believe there isn't a single great coaching candidate outside of the NHL/AHL/OHL/NCAA system.

I'd say f*** it and try it out for a year or two. Hasso wants to win and has the money so why not give it a shot? Worst case you gotta fire the guy, best case you find an amazing coach with an outside the box system/coaching style.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wasn't there some coach in Europe or something who was being looked at as a possible good candidate for an NHL job? Why keep recycling the same NHL coaches across the league? I can't believe there isn't a single great coaching candidate outside of the NHL/AHL/OHL/NCAA system.

I'd say f*** it and try it out for a year or two. Hasso wants to win and has the money so why not give it a shot? Worst case you gotta fire the guy, best case you find an amazing coach with an outside the box system/coaching style.
Rikard Grönborg. NJ reached out to him but he chose to stay in Switzerland until his contract is done. Devils reportedly contacted Swedish coach Rikard Gronborg about head coaching position

Somebody suggested a Finnish guy Jukka Jalonen who I would be down for. Sounds like he's big on player development in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad