Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I won't be mad to see Bob Boughner back. All the underlying numbers from when he took over improved despite losing Hertl, Karlsson, etc.
They were not allowing as many dangerous shots, whilst generating the same if not more. They actually were winning a lot of expected goals battle in games.

That being said, I would like to see a very transparent and open process where multiple candidates are interviewed and genuinely considered. I'm hoping DW focuses on the following questions:
  • What would your system look like with the current roster?
  • What changes in the roster would you want moving forward?
  • What are the emerging trends in NHL that you pinpoint as keys to success?
The coach needs to be flexible enough to work with the current roster whilst also looking at evolving in the future.

Can BB do that? I'm not sure.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I'd be ok with BB as coach going forward. There was a marked improvement once PDB was gone and he took over the reins. If Boog was coach earlier, this team would probably be in a playoff spot, pandemic or not.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Team has some progress with BB, I will be OK if he stays but why wouldn’t try to hire big fishes like Lavi or Gallant? They are proven and successful coaches. I don’t like VGK but their physical game with Gallant was spectacular and very effective

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I think that's a click bait headline. DW is just saying he's gonna evaluate all options, and I believe he will interview all interested coaching candidates before making a decision. That's what we want, right?

The players like boughner so if cohesion was an issue last year, maybe rallying around a coach they like is something the strive for.

i agree with your thoughts here.

I just want a more experienced NHL coach. One with tenure and experience
and success overall with their team. With BB as coach i think we are
marginal to make the playoffs next season. I think a more experienced
head coach would ensure we make it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Experience means nothing if you have a bad system for the players on the team.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

I think that's valuable as well.

I trust DW to weigh these things and make the right call

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
A coach with past experience and success doesn't necessarily have systems to be successful today, that is incorrect. Hitchcock and (if you asked Nashville fans) Laviolette are recent examples of this.

he has a .588 pts % as a NHL coach, his team was
4 games over 500 before he got caned. coaches have
a life expectancy on teams, i think his time was
up with nashville, he may have still got his team in
the playoffs if given the chance. all coaches need to change
and adopt. i still like him for the sharks, sure there
are other candidates as coach also.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
he has a .588 pts % as a NHL coach, his team was
4 games over 500 before he got caned. coaches have
a life expectancy on teams, i think his time was
up with nashville, he may have still got his team in
the playoffs if given the chance. all coaches need to change
and adopt. i still like him for the sharks, sure there
are other candidates as coach also.

He was one of my top choices if PDB got fired after last season ended, but after reading Nashville fans I'm not so sure he is the right choice going forward. I would prefer to not have another old-school style coach who is sticks with their outdated systems that may have worked in the past. I'm no expert, but I think I would choose BB over Lav at this point.

Reactions: STL Shark and WSS11

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He was one of my top choices if PDB got fired after last season ended, but after reading Nashville fans I'm not so sure he is the right choice going forward. I would prefer to not have another old-school style coach who is sticks with their outdated systems that may have worked in the past. I'm no expert, but I think I would choose BB over Lav at this point.
Thing with Laviolette for me at this point is that he has coached a roster that is as similar to the Sharks in terms of construction as any in the NHL, and he got fired because he could not adapt his system and because his special teams were awful. Many of the complaints that we had about PDB will rear their ugly head again with Laviolette.

At this point, I like the idea of Boughner assuming he is allowed to court/bring in his own staff. Unfortunately, McFarland took the Kingston job again in the OHL so not sure he is an option (did great work for the FLA power play during his time with Boughner there). However, think allowing him to bring in a staff of his own people instead of saddling him with Sommer and Ricci (neither of which are NHL assistants imo) will likely do wonders.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think that's a click bait headline. DW is just saying he's gonna evaluate all options, and I believe he will interview all interested coaching candidates before making a decision. That's what we want, right?

The players like boughner so if cohesion was an issue last year, maybe rallying around a coach they like is something the strive for.
I thought the same. He doesn't say anything new here. He previously said he would be thorough and that BB had the inside track so to speak.

At this point I'm fine with BB moving forward assuming he gets his own assistants. The team played an exciting brand of hockey once they got going but were undone by injuries and lack of scoring depth. If they address the roster in a meaningful way and and get some injury luck I like their chances next season.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I won't be mad to see Bob Boughner back. All the underlying numbers from when he took over improved despite losing Hertl, Karlsson, etc.

Losing Hertl was a big deal for the offense. I would like to see Bob back next season, unless a really good coach that is a great fit becomes available. Those only seem to be available when the Sharks are not looking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->