Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Gonna be real annoying when PDB and Vegas win the cup

FlickeringInstructiveAltiplanochinchillamouse-small.gif

Reactions: Sandisfan

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
So it’s been another three weeks with Boughner…curious to see how/if people’s views have changed regarding the head coach position next season. Has he done enough to have the interim tag removed and get a full season or are there just too many top coaches available to commit?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think he's done enough to be the head coach. He really has the team playing good hockey lately. It's not perfect but it's a far cry from what was going on under Deboer.

Reactions: Groo

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
We're 50/50 exactly since the new year with a depleted roster. I don't think Boughner or anyone else could have really made anything more happen once Hertl and Karlsson were out. That said, I don't think BB has been especially good. Like not like great. I would hope DW shops around a bit. Sees what else is out there and willing to come here. Keeping BB wouldn't be the worst - but I don't think he is like the missing piece for a deep cup run. You get what you expect. Average.

Reactions: Phu and themelkman

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
We're 50/50 exactly since the new year with a depleted roster. I don't think Boughner or anyone else could have really made anything more happen once Hertl and Karlsson were out. That said, I don't think BB has been especially good. Like not like great. I would hope DW shops around a bit. Sees what else is out there and willing to come here. Keeping BB wouldn't be the worst - but I don't think he is like the missing piece for a deep cup run. You get what you expect. Average.
Being 500 with basically an ahl roster is above average.

I think he's proved to be an "nhl" caliber coach but I do think the sharks need to go through an assessment before they hire anyone

Reactions: Phu and themelkman

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Being 500 with basically an ahl roster is above average.

I think he's proved to be an "nhl" caliber coach but I do think the sharks need to go through an assessment before they hire anyone

I agree.

I have no problems with BB this season as an interim coach, he's done a decent job at
fixing the teams systems, goalies and they play a more competitive game to be sure.
He's had some bad luck with injuries for sure. The later makes a difference with team
success for sure. I'm saying us not making the playoffs is not BBs fault, etc.

I really want a higher end coach with more tenure. One that's perhaps won a cup,
can coach todays players, etc. Just my .03.

Reactions: Phu

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
So it’s been another three weeks with Boughner…curious to see how/if people’s views have changed regarding the head coach position next season. Has he done enough to have the interim tag removed and get a full season or are there just too many top coaches available to commit?

TBH I think DW's already got Boogie penciled in as HC moving forward.
I think Boughner has done a good job as a development coach. They've been trying a lot of new things on both ends of the ice.
I do wonder how he'd do when the training wheels come off. Hopefully, he'll keep adapting and won't get locked into lukewarm solutions.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I'm torn. I think Boog has been fantastic with the roster he's had to deal with. I also think Doug should take a look at what's out there, but honestly, there's not much. Gallant might be ok. Absolutely not Boudreau.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I do like the way BB has all players playing hard, hitting, etc. Better systems, etc. If he just had
some more NHL finishers we'd score more and with better goal-tending (no more Jones) we'd be a playoff team.

Reactions: themelkman

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'm torn. I think Boog has been fantastic with the roster he's had to deal with. I also think Doug should take a look at what's out there, but honestly, there's not much. Gallant might be ok. Absolutely not Boudreau.
I'm thinking DW might give Boogey a year with an actual NHL roster. I could easily see DW being loyal to Boughner, given that he's had a slightly raw deal taking over a gutted team mid season and the history Doug has with being loyal to coaches.

What I want to have happen is for the team to go through the whole process of interviewing candidates. Bring in Laviolette, Babcock, Boudreau, etc. Let them give their spiel, pick the one that fits best with the direction the org wants to go. If Boughner wins, go with him. Honestly, I don't care who they pick as long as the team starts contending again, though, I do have a dislike for Gallant merely on a personal level. The issues with the roster will need to be addressed so DW needs to figure this out asap as the roster should be dependent on the new coaches style. The obvious needs will be roughly the same, but the supporting cast may need to change.

Reactions: Phu

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I'm thinking DW might give Boogey a year with an actual NHL roster. I could easily see DW being loyal to Boughner, given that he's had a slightly raw deal taking over a gutted team mid season and the history Doug has with being loyal to coaches.

What I want to have happen is for the team to go through the whole process of interviewing candidates. Bring in Laviolette, Babcock, Boudreau, etc. Let them give their spiel, pick the one that fits best with the direction the org wants to go. Honestly, I don't care who they pick as long as the team starts contending again, though, I do have a dislike for Gallant merely on a personal level. The issues with the roster will need to be addressed so DW needs to figure this out asap as the roster should be dependent on the new coaches style. The obvious needs will be roughly the same, but the supporting cast may need to change.

Babcock is outdated, and Boudreau's teams have always folded under pressure. Lavy I wouldn't mind much. I hate Gallant personally, but he's great at pulling talent out of not-so-talented rosters. I guess Boog is too, from what we've seen so far. Who knows

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Babcock is outdated, and Boudreau's teams have always folded under pressure. Lavy I wouldn't mind much. I hate Gallant personally, but he's great at pulling talent out of not-so-talented rosters. I guess Boog is too, from what we've seen so far. Who knows
I was just using them as examples, I'd hope they'd look at every major name plus lesser knowns( college, minors, juniors, etc).

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Boughner has this team playing hard and fast. He just doesn’t have the necessary skilled players needed to win against other well coached and talented teams. That being said, if we can’t get Gallant then I’d probably stick with BB.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The problem with Gallant, for me, is that I don't know if his system will work with the team that we have and if he can adjust it to fit the roster. Let's say that Gallant's system is similar to what PDB runs and those systems both worked well in Vegas. Can we maybe reach the conversely similar conclusion that since PDB's take on that system sucked here, Gallant's system may also suck here as well?

Reactions: Painful Quandary

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The problem with Gallant, for me, is that I don't know if his system will work with the team that we have and if he can adjust it to fit the roster. Let's say that Gallant's system is similar to what PDB runs and those systems both worked well in Vegas. Can we maybe reach the conversely similar conclusion that since PDB's take on that system sucked here, Gallant's system may also suck here as well?

they’re not

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think anyone out there is going to bring in a system that significantly better. The key fact is that the team hasn't given up despite their place in the standings. Give him a training camp and some more NHL level players and I think this system crushes a lot of teams. I hope he's the coach next season.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Marco Sturm could be an option. He did pretty good with Team Germany. Since 2018 assistant in L.A.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

The other thing I don't like about Gallant is that he loves playing pylon defensemen. The last thing I want is a coach who will encourage DW to start acquiring Wallins and Stuarts again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00