Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Who might be some candidates that Boughner would bring in as assistants? Perhaps someone like Letowski in Windsor…?
You could see a reunion between BB and his Florida ACs. Jay Leach is rumored to move to the NHL from Providence. Could they get a previous head coach to be an associate like Bruce Boudreau or Gallant?

I don't have any media or idea to go from so it's a shot in the dark to guess.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You could see a reunion between BB and his Florida ACs. Jay Leach is rumored to move to the NHL from Providence. Could they get a previous head coach to be an associate like Bruce Boudreau or Gallant?

I don't have any media or idea to go from so it's a shot in the dark to guess.
I don’t think Gallant or Boudreau would be assistant behind a new coach. Their egos are too big.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wasn't there some coach in Europe or something who was being looked at as a possible good candidate for an NHL job? Why keep recycling the same NHL coaches across the league? I can't believe there isn't a single great coaching candidate outside of the NHL/AHL/OHL/NCAA system.

I'd say f*** it and try it out for a year or two. Hasso wants to win and has the money so why not give it a shot? Worst case you gotta fire the guy, best case you find an amazing coach with an outside the box system/coaching style.
I'm sure the Finnish league has some good options. That's where I'd start my search.

Reactions: themelkman

DepressedSharksFan

Jun 7, 2020
I'll be very disappointed if the Sharks decide to bring back Boughner. He failed to lead the Florida Panthers to the playoffs in his 2 year stunt. The Sharks went 14-20-3 since they fired DeBoer and I know it was tough for him considering Hertl and Karlsson had season ending injuries. The offense regressed under Boughner.

With that being said, I think Doug Wilson's job is safe if he decides to bring back Boughner. If Wilson is banking on making the playoffs next season, then he has to hire someone who is more experienced and has gotten the job done. There are so many better options out there. Babcock, Montgomery, Boudreau, Lavy, Gallant, etc... If Wilson's job was truly on the line, then he would hire one of those guys.

It would be nice to bring in someone like Lavy or Gallant. I don't think Babcock will coach any time soon, but at least Lavy has won a cup and Gallant has been a solid coach. Whether you dislike Gallant or not, at least he can get his team to play a heavy, psychical game. That's what the Sharks need to start playing with, this team has been too soft for years.

This is going to be the most interesting offseason in such a long time, I'm anxious to see what happens.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'll be very disappointed if the Sharks decide to bring back Boughner. He failed to lead the Florida Panthers to the playoffs in his 2 year stunt. The Sharks went 14-20-3 since they fired DeBoer and I know it was tough for him considering Hertl and Karlsson had season ending injuries. The offense regressed under Boughner.

With that being said, I think Doug Wilson's job is safe if he decides to bring back Boughner. If Wilson is banking on making the playoffs next season, then he has to hire someone who is more experienced and has gotten the job done. There are so many better options out there. Babcock, Montgomery, Boudreau, Lavy, Gallant, etc... If Wilson's job was truly on the line, then he would hire one of those guys.

It would be nice to bring in someone like Lavy or Gallant. I don't think Babcock will coach any time soon, but at least Lavy has won a cup and Gallant has been a solid coach. Whether you dislike Gallant or not, at least he can get his team to play a heavy, psychical game. That's what the Sharks need to start playing with, this team has been too soft for years.

This is going to be the most interesting offseason in such a long time, I'm anxious to see what happens.

With deboer. 2.64 gf/gp. 3.42 ga/gp. Pp% 16%. Pk% 88.3%.

With boughner. 2.51 gf/gp. 3.03 ga/gp. Pp% 19.1%. Pk% 82.7%.

Deboer 82 game paces. 216 gf. 280 ga.
Boughner 82 game pace. 205 gf. 248 ga.

Although boughner got a little worse on tue offensive side. The team was drastically better on the defensive side of the game.

And another thing that is a plus for boughner and his system/coaching staff.

I won't count the 1st game against the rangers since that came without any practices. But from the 2nd game as a coach jones had a 2.45 goals against average and a .912 save% and dell had a 2.89 goals against average and a .912 save%.
Under deboer jones had a 3.23 goals against average and a .891 save%. Dell had a 3.32 goals against average and a .893 save%.

Boughner also had to take over on a team that was mentally done and then had to then try and survive a hertl injury, couture injury and a karlsson injury.

jarr92

May 7, 2013

I agree with the bolded, but DW has not constructed a roster that works with that play style.

That acquisitions of Kane previously and Noesen this season have been a step in the right direction, but now that Dillon and Goodrow are gone who else can even play a somewhat heavy style on the Sharks?

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I agree with the bolded, but DW has not constructed a roster that works with that play style.

That acquisitions of Kane previously and Noesen this season have been a step in the right direction, but now that Dillon and Goodrow are gone who else can even play a somewhat heavy style on the Sharks?
Meier and Hertl arent big hitters but they are big guys who provide possesion and can take hits. Our new guy Handemark is a big guy with a physical game, Gregor was starting to take and make more hits near the end of the year.

DepressedSharksFan

Jun 7, 2020
With deboer. 2.64 gf/gp. 3.42 ga/gp. Pp% 16%. Pk% 88.3%.

With boughner. 2.51 gf/gp. 3.03 ga/gp. Pp% 19.1%. Pk% 82.7%.

Deboer 82 game paces. 216 gf. 280 ga.
Boughner 82 game pace. 205 gf. 248 ga.

Although boughner got a little worse on tue offensive side. The team was drastically better on the defensive side of the game.

And another thing that is a plus for boughner and his system/coaching staff.

I won't count the 1st game against the rangers since that came without any practices. But from the 2nd game as a coach jones had a 2.45 goals against average and a .912 save% and dell had a 2.89 goals against average and a .912 save%.
Under deboer jones had a 3.23 goals against average and a .891 save%. Dell had a 3.32 goals against average and a .893 save%.

Boughner also had to take over on a team that was mentally done and then had to then try and survive a hertl injury, couture injury and a karlsson injury.

I agree that the team was improved defensively, they also eliminated odd man rushes, which was a factor. Nabokov deserves a ton of credit. You can tell he made an impact in Jones/Dell's game.

I still think it's time to move on from Jones/Dell. There's some decent goalie options in the upcoming FA market that would be massive upgrades.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Meier and Hertl arent big hitters but they are big guys who provide possesion and can take hits. Our new guy Handemark is a big guy with a physical game, Gregor was starting to take and make more hits near the end of the year.
I’m not sure we should be counting on more physicality from Gregor. Yes, he needs to get stronger so he’s better in the corners winning 50/50 battles but we need him to focus on using his speed and shot more often. The guy in the system who plays physical is Bergmann. I don’t think he has enough puck skills to play up in the lineup but he could make an ideal 4th line winger. He’s strong, likes to initiate contact, and plays with some snarl.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I don't know how you say the first part then blame BB for the offense in the next sentence. He was without Couture for a lot of games then lost Hertl and EK65. That isn't just tough, that's damn near impossible to overcome for a team as thin offensively as they were. I'm almost certain that when each player went out they were either 1 or 2 in scoring on the team. So basically they lost their leading scorer 3 times in one season. I'm fine with however the coaching situation plays out but lets at least be honest about what we saw last season. The team clearly played better defensively and had more jump on the forecheck and in the offensive zone after BB took over. Problem was lack of depth of NHL level scoring ability.

Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I don't know how you say the first part then blame BB for the offense in the next sentence. He was without Couture for a lot of games then lost Hertl and EK65. That isn't just tough, that's damn near impossible to overcome for a team as thin offensively as they were. I'm almost certain that when each player went out they were either 1 or 2 in scoring on the team. So basically they lost their leading scorer 3 times in one season. I'm fine with however the coaching situation plays out but lets at least be honest about what we saw last season. The team clearly played better defensively and had more jump on the forecheck and in the offensive zone after BB took over. Problem was lack of depth of NHL level scoring ability.

I think BB did a great job with what he had and is a high floor HC. Guys played hard, and the NZ play improved a ton as well. I'm not sure he has that ceiling though...didn't really see much of a system in terms of offense, and I recall Panthers fans complaining about that too. It sounds like we'd be kind of relying on the skill players to just create offense themselves if he's the HC. I don't think this team can add enough up front to contend like that even if Karlsson, Hertl, Couture, Kane, etc. stay healthy.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
BB isn’t a good enough coach to justify passing over other coaches that could be available depending on what one is looking for. He’s not terrible but he’s also not good.
NOT-GREAT-NOT-TERRIBLE-Chernobyl - Comrade Dyatlov.gif

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think BB did a great job with what he had and is a high floor HC. Guys played hard, and the NZ play improved a ton as well. I'm not sure he has that ceiling though...didn't really see much of a system in terms of offense, and I recall Panthers fans complaining about that too. It sounds like we'd be kind of relying on the skill players to just create offense themselves if he's the HC. I don't think this team can add enough up front to contend like that even if Karlsson, Hertl, Couture, Kane, etc. stay healthy.
I saw the offensive system. It was cycle and open for one timers in the circles far more often than with PDB. Much less sending back to the point. It was more about low zone pressure and cycle that I think will work far better with more scoring talent. When the guys getting those shots are better I think the results are better. I agree about BB being a high floor HC. No I have no idea what his ceiling is but we won't know until we see him with a decent roster. I can't speak to his time in Florida but from Burns interviews he was a changed coach when he came back to the Sharks after that. Personally I liked watching his system a lot and feel like roster tweaks could make a world of difference. If DW thinks someone else would do better though, so be it. He better be right though since I don't think he survives back to back seasons with no playoffs.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I agree that the team was improved defensively, they also eliminated odd man rushes, which was a factor. Nabokov deserves a ton of credit. You can tell he made an impact in Jones/Dell's game.

I still think it's time to move on from Jones/Dell. There's some decent goalie options in the upcoming FA market that would be massive upgrades.
If you can find a way to move on from Jones’ contract then sure. Issue is there is no way to do that without it being penal in terms of buyout or assets given up.

Reactions: WSS11

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I saw the offensive system. It was cycle and open for one timers in the circles far more often than with PDB. Much less sending back to the point. It was more about low pressure and cycle with I think will work far better with more scoring talent. When the guys getting those shots are better I think the results are better. I agree about BB being a high floor HC. No I have no idea what his ceiling is but we won't know until we see him with a decent roster. I can't speak to his time in Florida but from Burns interviews he was a changed coach when he came back to the Sharks after that. Personally I liked watching his system a lot and feel like roster tweaks could make a world of difference. If DW thinks someone else would do better though, so be it. He better be right though since I don't think he survives back to back seasons with no playoffs.

Two sides of the same coin imo haha...I think the same thing about BB and how he's relatively unproven compared to Laviolette, Boudreau, and Gallant. Is BB the guy that Doug wants to take a risk on?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Two sides of the same coin imo haha...I think the same thing about BB and how he's relatively unproven compared to Laviolette, Boudreau, and Gallant. Is BB the guy that Doug wants to take a risk on?
I think that Boughner's communication skills will go a long way for DW. With the stories coming out about the lack of team unity and how guys like Boudreau actually suck at communicating with his players, I think the interpersonal stuff is gonna be a major driving factor

Reactions: Erep and BigDmitriy

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think that Boughner's communication skills will go a long way for DW. With the stories coming out about the lack of team unity and how guys like Boudreau actually suck at communicating with his players, I think the interpersonal stuff is gonna be a major driving factor

Important stuff for sure, but that alone won't guide them to a cup. I'd be very worried.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

i’ve made it clear that I’m in the Gallant camp as I think he has the best system for today’s NHL. However, BB did have a better pts% than Quennville his first year in FLA. My one gripe with BB is that his breakout is either a long stretch pass or get it to the neutral zone and do a soft dump and chase which I didn’t like at all. It’s easily defended and if your forecheck doesn’t get there then it’s an easy change of possession. This team isn’t fast enough for that style of play.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yea, I definitely want strong on-ice coaching as much as anyone else but from my POV, they're gonna focus on that communication a lot with this hire.

Laviolette is probably high on the list then I'd think...how is Gallant in that department?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If I were the Sharks, I'd hire Mike Grier. Take some leadership on the front of cultivating more people like him in positions of authority. He's done well leading the PK for New Jersey. He's familiar with the team and its culture and would likely improve it. The Sharks should be leading the way on this sort of thing and Grier is definitely a qualified person for the job, imo.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If I were the Sharks, I'd hire Mike Grier. Take some leadership on the front of cultivating more people like him in positions of authority. He's done well leading the PK for New Jersey. He's familiar with the team and its culture and would likely improve it. The Sharks should be leading the way on this sort of thing and Grier is definitely a qualified person for the job, imo.

This is an interesting suggestion. New Jersey's results on the PK (3rd lowest xGA rate at 4v5) were indeed excellent.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is an interesting suggestion. New Jersey's results on the PK (3rd lowest xGA rate at 4v5) were indeed excellent.

I think there are a lot of potential benefits to Grier being the coach. Outside of the things that I've laid out, I prefer giving unknowns an opportunity if no premier coaches are available. I can understand arguing that Gallant is one but he's showing himself to be a quick fix and short stint sort of coach. And while I understand Grier could be seen as more of a social justice sort of pick, he fits the mold of the type of guy that could be given an opportunity as an assistant for a couple years having some good results. There are numerous coaches with similar experience to Grier and some will get that shot and I don't see why not him. I think he would've been a head coach somewhere someday anyway without the external push to change but now that that push is here, I think it will expedite his rise. Him and a few others, I think. Ward could one day be a head coach if he wants to be one but he doesn't have the experience yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad