Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tough for me to call and I think it's going to depend on the team's makeup next season. If it's more or less the same but with one added top six winger, I think he's fine to go with. I question his ability to put offensive players in the right position offensively to generate goals like they need to play the defensive style they have to in order to stay in games. They don't do enough at this point with Burns and that would extend to Karlsson when he's been in the lineup. They need more speedy forwards with defensive sense to cover for Burns and Karlsson so they can be up in the play a lot more because they're the best offensive players on the team. Having Marleau back will help in that regard. I think Gregor will be good for that as well but a Kane-Hertl-Labanc line will have issues covering defensively. A Meier-Couture-Dadonov line would have issues covering defensively. So we're either severely limiting the impact players like Burns and Karlsson should have or we're playing with fire having meh defensive forwards and/or average skating forwards covering them. I don't know if Boughner has it in him to make that work.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Tough for me to call and I think it's going to depend on the team's makeup next season. If it's more or less the same but with one added top six winger, I think he's fine to go with. I question his ability to put offensive players in the right position offensively to generate goals like they need to play the defensive style they have to in order to stay in games. They don't do enough at this point with Burns and that would extend to Karlsson when he's been in the lineup. They need more speedy forwards with defensive sense to cover for Burns and Karlsson so they can be up in the play a lot more because they're the best offensive players on the team. Having Marleau back will help in that regard. I think Gregor will be good for that as well but a Kane-Hertl-Labanc line will have issues covering defensively. A Meier-Couture-Dadonov line would have issues covering defensively. So we're either severely limiting the impact players like Burns and Karlsson should have or we're playing with fire having meh defensive forwards and/or average skating forwards covering them. I don't know if Boughner has it in him to make that work.
Agree, that is how I see it too.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think the love affair with Lavi is more about thinking the grass is greener. How much real success has he actually had? Seriously asking. Didn't he win a cup with Carolina more than a decade ago and since has gotten fired like 3 or 4 times? I guess I'm just not remembering a real record of consistency in the success dept. Does he turn his teams into advanced stat juggernauts? Not being sarcastic, asking seriously. I'm genuinely curious because I want to believe that whoever they bring in will somehow produce better more entertaining hockey than what BB has been able to with this shit show of a roster. I have trouble believing someone is going to motivate the team better than him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think the love affair with Lavi is more about thinking the grass is greener. How much real success has he actually had? Seriously asking. Didn't he win a cup with Carolina more than a decade ago and since has gotten fired like 3 or 4 times? I guess I'm just not remembering a real record of consistency in the success dept. Does he turn his teams into advanced stat juggernauts? Not being sarcastic, asking seriously. I'm genuinely curious because I want to believe that whoever they bring in will somehow produce better more entertaining hockey than what BB has been able to with this shit show of a roster. I have trouble believing someone is going to motivate the team better than him.

Been to the cup finals 3 times with 3 different teams, won the cup once.

1210 games coached. Won 637 games. Lost 425 games. 25 ties. 123 otl.

Playoffs he has a .524 win%

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Saying a coach has been fired 3 or 4 times in 10 years makes him sound pretty popular in this League.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Been to the cup finals 3 times with 3 different teams, won the cup once.

1210 games coached. Won 637 games. Lost 425 games. 25 ties. 123 otl.

Playoffs he has a .524 win%
Looks like his best coaching was with the Preds and the Carolina cup winner. Philly was stacked. The Preds team too really. Great goaltending, widely considered one of the best D- core and excellent foster of forwards. Not saying he's isn't or wouldn't be good for the Sharks. Just wonder if the make up of the team works for him. To be honest he may not even want the Sharks job depending on what they do in the off season. He's going to have options and probably better ones. BB seems to have tuned into the right wave length with this team which isn't always guaranteed with a coach and their players.

Someone said they didn't think BB was putting the players in position to score... I completely disagree with that. Since the change the team has way more one time passes to forwards in the face-off circles and the slot. They just lack enough talented goal scorers to turn all those chances into goals.

Saying a coach has been fired 3 or 4 times in 10 years makes him sound pretty popular in this League.
Yeah probably. Looks like he's been in Nashville for quite a while though. I wonder what his record is against the Sharks. Just seems like whenever I watch his teams play (largely against the Sharks) they are unimpressive unless it's a high end player making a great play. It seems like that Nashville team has largely under achieved considering their roster. Maybe as much if not more than the Sharks over the same time period.

If PDB were to win the cup with Vegas this season he would have an equal or better coaching outcome than Lavi over a shorter period of time. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Looks like his best coaching was with the Preds and the Carolina cup winner. Philly was stacked. The Preds team too really. Great goaltending, widely considered one of the best D- core and excellent foster of forwards. Not saying he's isn't or wouldn't be good for the Sharks. Just wonder if the make up of the team works for him. To be honest he may not even want the Sharks job depending on what they do in the off season. He's going to have options and probably better ones. BB seems to have tuned into the right wave length with this team which isn't always guaranteed with a coach and their players.

Someone said they didn't think BB was putting the players in position to score... I completely disagree with that. Since the change the team has way more one time passes to forwards in the face-off circles and the slot. They just lack enough talented goal scorers to turn all those chances into goals.

Shots from the face-off circles isn't a great position to score unless you're a legitimately dangerous shooter with accuracy. That's pretty much just Couture, Meier, and Burns. For the rest of the team, the dangerous areas to shoot from are inside of that and they don't get the pucks there as often as they need to in order to produce with the talent that they have.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
lol! Whut...? :eek: I assume you're just being contrarian to pick a fight...? :skeptic: The purpose of literally every single team that cycles the puck is to get someone open inside the face off circles or the slot (roughly same distance to the net) for a one timer. The last goal the sharks scored was literally a one timer from the face off circles (Gregor). The goal of majority of PPs is to set up a one timer from that range. One timers from that range are literally the thing that collapsed this season and got PDB fired. Sharks gave that type of chance up like it was trick or treat for the first couple months of the season. The fact that they are working hard enough to generate those types of chances against typically good defensive teams says a lot about how effective the system and effort are. I already said that they aren't scoring as much from those chances because they lack the goal scoring talent but you neglected to mention anyone else who's scored off a one timer from there. Hertl, Patty, Jumbo, even guys like Sorenson have a couple or more. There's a reason every team tries to set up that shot at pretty much every level. It's far easier to score that way. And if you don't it creates rebounds and defensive chaos at the net. It's all about shot generation which they have been doing far better under BB than PDB this season. You just have to try and get it on net to score because the goalie is sliding after the angle change. C'mon man you weren't really serious with that were you?o_O

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Shots from the face-off circles isn't a great position to score unless you're a legitimately dangerous shooter with accuracy. That's pretty much just Couture, Meier, and Burns. For the rest of the team, the dangerous areas to shoot from are inside of that and they don't get the pucks there as often as they need to in order to produce with the talent that they have.

I'd add Kane and Hertl to that list. Not even sure I'd include Meier this season. :laugh:

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
What I want to know is why people are resistant to seeing Boogie as a good coach. He had the Panthers playing better hockey than Joel Quenneville and he's gotten more out of the Sharks than PDB did with fewer established players. It's not "sure why not" - it's damn let's lock him up. What am I missing?

Reactions: Gunnin54

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd add Kane and Hertl to that list. Not even sure I'd include Meier this season. :laugh:

I don't see those two take one-time shots from that spot. Kane will wrist it from there on a break and Hertl is mostly within five feet of the net.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What I want to know is why people are resistant to seeing Boogie as a good coach. He had the Panthers playing better hockey than Joel Quenneville and he's gotten more out of the Sharks than PDB did with fewer established players. It's not "sure why not" - it's damn let's lock him up. What am I missing?
Exactly. It's the grass is always greener syndrome. It's always a huge factor on this board.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Oh gee look at that...o_O

Seriously this position of yours in untenable... Pretty much every NHL player can onetime the puck off a pass (except Vlasic) which results in a scoring chance. It's a tough chance for goalies to defend and if they make the save there is usually a rebound.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh gee look at that...o_O

Seriously this position of yours in untenable... Pretty much every NHL player can onetime the puck off a pass (except Vlasic) which results in a scoring chance. It's a tough chance for goalies to defend and if they make the save there is usually a rebound.

All those videos are inside the point that I'm referencing but whatever. You're more interested in playing the martyr than having an actual conversation. Is it going to be any time now that I offer a different view point than you that you're going to respond like this and your previous post? Because if so, just ignore me.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Can you substantiate the claim that I bolded? Because Florida has a higher points percentage under Quenneville than they did under Boughner,

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
Can you substantiate the claim that I bolded? Because Florida has a higher points percentage under Quenneville than they did under Boughner,

I said that because my sense is that Florida is disappointing big this year - being out of the playoff picture after picking up Bob, Brett Connolly, and Anton Stralman. That's a lot more to work with than Boogie had. But I'd be curious to hear what Panthers fans think of Boogie vs. Q.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
No idea what "spot" you are referencing Pink. I specifically said "face off circles and slot" which encompasses most of the lower offensive zone around the goalie and above the goal line. Pretty widely and unanimously considered the high danger scoring areas. Look man you're just wrong. Find another reason to pick a fight.

For the record you replied to my comment, not the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad