Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Thought i'd start a thread on this moving forward.

I'm 98 % sure BB finishes the season for the sharks with his interim coach title. We'll see who the new coach is then.

I like Peter Laviolette - Peter Laviolette NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com

Why? He's got a cup, never had a losing season and generally respected around the NHL. I have nothing against BB, i just want a guy with more experience and PL fits the bill. Hope he's available this summer still.

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Thought i'd start a thread on this moving forward.

I'm 98 % sure BB finishes the season for the sharks with his interim coach title. We'll see who the new coach is then.

I like Peter Laviolette - Peter Laviolette NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com

Why? He's got a cup, never had a losing season and generally respected around the NHL. I have nothing against BB, i just want a guy with more experience and PL fits the bill. Hope he's available this summer still.

I would be surprised if BB is going to be our HC next year unless he finishes the season with atleast 1 playoff round win.

That being said, Doug Wilson has shown an insane amount of loyalty to our coaches. So, maybe I won't be that surprised if BB is still our coach next year even if we do miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Dicdonya and Phu

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I would be surprised if BB is going to be our HC next year unless he finishes the season with atleast 1 playoff round win.

That being said, Doug Wilson has shown an insane amount of loyalty to our coaches. So, maybe I won't be that surprised if BB is still our coach next year even if we do miss the playoffs.

I have to agree. While i like BB, i just believe the team needs a more experienced head coach with a resume that includes a cup, winning, etc.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I like what I've seen from BB for the most part. The team has gradually looked better, but I also wonder how much of that is underperforming players form coming back to the norm.

My concern with any coach is holding onto them for too long - and a good coach probably doesn't sign short contracts.

Reactions: themelkman

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I like what I've seen from BB for the most part. The team has gradually looked better, but I also wonder how much of that is underperforming players form coming back to the norm.

My concern with any coach is holding onto them for too long - and a good coach probably doesn't sign short contracts.

I think most coaches have a shelf life. Stated another way, after some time the team starts to under perform and they get fired. It's about 4-6 years generally. Not always the coaches fault. However, players need to near a difference voice, etc. Sometimes a new voice, systems and level of accountability are what it takes. Paying attention to detail at a different level, etc.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There were a couple NFL coach signings today. Somebody that was like Matt Rhule would be nice to have. One of his demands for taking the job was huge investment into a sports science department which is just smart. Considering that we're at the heart of silicon valley, doing anything to create partnerships with the companies around here is just the smart thing to do. And he had a really strong track record of rebuilding flailing college programs. So with that said, I liked the idea of Jukka Jalonen if there was any chance we went with a Euro coach.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I think Laviolette makes a lot of sense. This team needs to utilize it’s defense better, and I think Peter provides that experience. We are stronger at both forward and defense than I think Nashville was, and that was always a dangerous team. I think he can work out an attack and system that works for us.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I think Laviolette makes a lot of sense. This team needs to utilize it’s defense better, and I think Peter provides that experience. We are stronger at both forward and defense than I think Nashville was, and that was always a dangerous team. I think he can work out an attack and system that works for us.
Has laviolette ever coached a team that didn't hang his goalies out to dry? I always thought he was way more offensively minded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad