Speculation: New Head Coach starting 2020/2021 Season

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I actually think the Sharks are playing well under BB. If they had a full lineup and another quality top 6 forward, I think they would be a top team. He has gotten them to play way better defense and overall. He deserves a chance to keep it going with a better roster.

Reactions: hockeyCEO

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I actually think the Sharks are playing well under BB. If they had a full lineup and another quality top 6 forward, I think they would be a top team. He has gotten them to play way better defense and overall. He deserves a chance to keep it going with a better roster.

I'm off and on with Boughner, but he's definitely adjusting and I do like what he's done the last two games after the All Star break. They aren't going overboard at both end boards, which I think suits their personnel better.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I'm off and on with Boughner, but he's definitely adjusting and I do like what he's done the last two games after the All Star break. They aren't going overboard at both end boards, which I think suits their personnel better.
They look fine they just suck

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Why are we even going to Jones in must win games right? Poor coaches decision if you ask me.
Not familiar with the Doug Wilson dynasty? Its pretty obvious that he has something to say about lineup decisions. All NHL coaches would have played Dell instead. Especially when you want to climb in the standings.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Not familiar with the Doug Wilson dynasty? Its pretty obvious that he has something to say about lineup decisions. All NHL coaches would have played Dell instead. Especially when you want to climb in the standings.

Interesting thought - does DW get involved with the coaching in this way. i don't think so as i'm sure
his message to BB is try to make the playoffs. BB has already considered Dell as the no 1 guy. So I would agree that BB made a bad decision to start Jones last night. At the end of the year, if we miss the playoffs by say 10 points. We'll be looking for 5 wins / games we could of won. Then we'll look at Jones
game log and all those games where he failed to make enough big saves to keep us in the game. We will find those 10 points right there.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB

Highly doubt DW has a say on who the starting goalie is. Jones is a lost cause. Cut your losses from him and move on. Any chance his confidence ever comes back with this group is zilch. We are just giving Ottawa a better pick every time he starts.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't buy that for a second. He's never been known for that kind of stuff. Sharks aren't the Raiders and he's no Al Davis.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

He has always said and pretty sure no coach has ever come out and said anything different that lineup decisions even those that are call ups/send downs is the coaches decision.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Probably not gameday decisions but starts in general. There was the all-star break, so BB could have played Dell some games in a row. Its really hard to understand this decision under those circumstances. BB ignoring starting Jones would make DW and this contract looking terrible. BB defenitly has the order to start him here and there. Why not bringing up an ahl goalie and sitting Jones? That would making DW look even more worse.
At the beginning of the season when PDB played all the rookies, it really seems he was forced into this. It was just not like a typical PDB move. Another example where the coach was forced into something.
I really enjoyed PDB first season where he ignored playing Yannick Hanson. That was a kick in the ass for DW.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Probably not gameday decisions but starts in general. There was the all-star break, so BB could have played Dell some games in a row. Its really hard to understand this decision under those circumstances. BB ignoring starting Jones would make DW and this contract looking terrible. BB defenitly has the order to start him here and there. Why not bringing up an ahl goalie and sitting Jones? That would making DW look even more worse.
At the beginning of the season when PDB played all the rookies, it really seems he was forced into this. It was just not like a typical PDB move. Another example where the coach was forced into something.
I really enjoyed PDB first season where he ignored playing Yannick Hanson. That was a kick in the ass for DW.

Doesn't the last part sort of invalidate the point you're attempting to make?

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB

All in all, Jones is a debacle. Again, DW should not have a say if he starts or not. That's the coaches decision. If you have proof that DW is in fact telling the coach who to play and who not to play, i'd love to see it.

Reactions: Bleedred

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I’m going to recommend retired NHL forward Vaclav Prospal. He’s coaching in the Czech Republic right now and does want to coach in the NHL eventually.
I dont know much about him but it seems like hes still playing in the czech third league and im not sure we would want to draw someone from the second league coaching. Any international coach would have to be top tier to beat out NA coaches who have serious expereicne

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why are we even going to Jones in must win games right? Poor coaches decision if you ask me.
That was quite possibly my only real criticism of Boughner since he's been the head coach.

That was a really bizarre decision. And trust me, I know the playoffs are out of the question. There's next to no chance anyway as of right now. So I don't think he needs to play Dell because he's the best chance at winning games/getting into the playoffs. I think he needs to play Dell because Jones has worn out his welcome as starter and has lost his starting job. And the message should be sent that Jones isn't the starter because of his contract and he isn't just gonna get games anymore to get games.

And Boughner was doing just that, until the other night.

Now, I'm hoping he only did that because Jones hadn't played a game in almost two weeks and they were trying to give him some work, but Dell really needs to go on a bad slump if they're playing Jones again.

Unless it's a back to back. If it's a back to back, Jones should play because there's no need to play a goalie two nights in a row anymore. If the team were still in the playoff race, then you could do that, but the playoffs really aren't a possibility anymore, so just play Jones during back to back's (for now) and that's it.

Looks like there's only 4 back to backs left.

If Dell is healthy, Jones really shouldn't play more than 7-8 games. Or at least he shouldn't start more than 7-8 games, unless Dell goes into a death spiral.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I dont know much about him but it seems like hes still playing in the czech third league and im not sure we would want to draw someone from the second league coaching. Any international coach would have to be top tier to beat out NA coaches who have serious expereicne
I see little to no chance that DW goes for someone without NHL coaching experience.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

This is Tierney going out of his way to write a narrative here, tbh. Vegas has played a grand total of 5 games under DeBoer and they've got a 5-on-5 score adjusted xGF% of 52.33% in those games. Yeah, it's not as good as the 55.16% that they had in the 49 games before DeBoer, but look at the teams that they've played under DeBoer:

Ottawa - ranked 20th with 49.16% score-adjusted xGF
Nashville - ranked 13th with 51.44% score-adjusted xGF
Montreal - ranked 4th with 53.67% score-adjusted xGF
Boston - ranked 10th with 51.58% score-adjusted xGF
Carolina - ranked 5th with 52.95% score-adjusted xGF

Their average opponent has been ranked 10th with a score-adjusted xGF of 51.76%. Given that Vegas is in the worst division in the NHL, I'd wager that in their 49 games under Gallant, the average team they played was likely below 15th and below 50% score-adjusted xGF. So, the increase in quality of competition is about the same as the decrease in quality of performance. (Measuring "quality" by 5-on-5 score-adjusted xGF% from Evolving Hockey in every sense.)

In simple terms:

1. It's literally a 5-game sample size.
2. They're still doing very well.
3. They're playing against far higher quality of opponents.

I mean, it just seems really weird to harp on DeBoer for a team's advanced stats. Just last season, the Sharks literally led the NHL in 5-on-5 Corsi For %, and were top-5 in xGF% by just about every model that I saw. I've got a lot of criticisms of DeBoer, and I still feel that his system allowed chances against that were a higher quality than today's xGF models rated them. But his teams had pretty strong advanced stats outside of this one disaster season here where they're still not very good.

This is just an all-around irresponsible and inaccurate tweet from Tierney. I'd expect better from a guy who is the director of analytics for an OHL team.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I have to agree with this. I can't see it happening.
Agreed. That being said, I’m hoping he brings in someone younger with potential for the Cuda. Grooming them to take over after the next head coach has run his course. Like what’s happened with the Hawks and Leafs.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Agreed. That being said, I’m hoping he brings in someone younger with potential for the Cuda. Grooming them to take over after the next head coach has run his course. Like what’s happened with the Hawks and Leafs.

Yeah, interesting to see what happens BBs assistant coaches, i think Ricci and Nabby go back to
their old roles. Roy back to the AHL as head coach? Probally as DW loves this guy.

Other teams groom NHL coaches at the AHL, DW dosent do this.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Yeah, interesting to see what happens BBs assistant coaches, i think Ricci and Nabby go back to
their old roles. Roy back to the AHL as head coach? Probally as DW loves this guy.

Other teams groom NHL coaches at the AHL, DW dosent do this.
I appreciate everything that Roy has done for the franchise but I’m hoping he’ll be ushered into a new role after the season.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->