Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Highly recommend Space Force! Don't listen to the "critics" out there, show is very well done. Once you are a few eps in you get completely hooked. Pretty sure those "critics" bashing it either thought they were getting the Office part 2, or only watched the first ep.

Definitely looking forward to season 2!
I had never watched The Office until this spring. So that was really fresh in my mind and I had been looking forward to Space Force as a direct followup. And yeah, I fell into the trap of expecting it to be a comedy along the same lines. Of course it turns out it's not remotely like that. I'm not sure Space Force really knows what Space Force wants to be. It's not really funny enough to watch it for laughs, and it's not realistic enough to watch it for tension or drama or character building. It's caught somewhere in between, and I'm not sure in a good way.

I watched it, generally somewhat enjoyed it, will watch any future seasons too. Just I hope it finds more of an identity that works better, maybe? :dunno:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I really liked the film Snowpiercer. Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton in particular do a very good job.

Try to watch it without knowing anything about it.

But I can't say whether it would spoil the TV series.

Not really the original graphic novel from the 80s, the movie and now the tv series all have the train in common, going around the world with three classes and the 4th group at the rear but that's almost it. The movie changes a fair bit from the novels, both characters and plot and the tv series further changed things from the novels and now the tv series.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

EW can exclusively announce that nearly three years after its cancellation, Kingdom is headed to Netflix on July 1. Created by Byron Balasco, the drama, which is set in the world of mixed martial arts, aired for three seasons (and a total of 40 episodes) on DirecTV from 2014 to 2017. It stars Frank Grillo as Alvey Kulina, a former MMA fighter, gym owner and father. Jonathan Tucker and Nick Jonas play his sons, with Matt Lauria, Kiele Sanchez, Joanna Going, Paul Walter Hauser, and Mac Brandt rounding out the cast.

The underdog series was a critical darling but struggled to find a platform that would allow it to reach more viewers. (The seasons only recently hit iTunes.) But now, Netflix will mark the series’ streaming debut.

The news comes about two months after Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn tweeted about the show, calling Kingdom one of the “10 most underrated, binge-worthy shows of the 2000s.”

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I watched about 4-5 episodes of The Order yesterday. I have no idea what to even think about this show. The dialogue and the characters are very cheesy and fall into established college student archetypes but I'm also having a lot of fun watching it. It's kind of like Hogwarts for American college students.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Watched "The Old Guard" last night. I enjoyed the movie but think it could have been a big time series. Would have loved to see more background into the characters throughout their time alive throughout history and what they accomplished. Ending kept the door open for a sequel so I'd suspect Netflix goes that route if it's a hit

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Me and the wife finished Messiah. We both liked it.

Not sure if there will be a second season. I think it works as a one off season and there could be more. I'm good either way.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I recently watched the first two seasons of Stranger Things and was pretty disappointed. Season 1 was decent enough but season 2 was terrible imo. I'd heard quite a few people say it was really good so I expected it to be better.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Watched "The Old Guard" last night. I enjoyed the movie but think it could have been a big time series. Would have loved to see more background into the characters throughout their time alive throughout history and what they accomplished. Ending kept the door open for a sequel so I'd suspect Netflix goes that route if it's a hit
Just finished it a few minutes ago and I agree. I would love this in a series format

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Surviving R Kelly was really f***ed.
What's f***ed is what that show tells you..

That so many people knew, people knew, no one wanted to say anything until that tape was leaked. Now imagine how many of those incidents could have been stopped. Now think about how so many others are getting away with it that have the same rumors/rumblings said about them, how they groom teenaged girls etc, like Drake, Marques Houston, etc.

R Kelly, for decades, did what he did, with so many people knowing, but all people cared about was "How famous can I get if he does a feat or I do a feat on his song?"

Or how much money he could make them, until the rumors became fact because of a stolen tape. Imagine if that tape was never stolen. He would have kept doing what he was doing for longer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's f***ed is what that show tells you..

That so many people knew, people knew, no one wanted to say anything until that tape was leaked. Now imagine how many of those incidents could have been stopped. Now think about how so many others are getting away with it that have the same rumors/rumblings said about them, how they groom teenaged girls etc, like Drake, Marques Houston, etc.

R Kelly, for decades, did what he did, with so many people knowing, but all people cared about was "How famous can I get if he does a feat or I do a feat on his song?"

Or how much money he could make them, until the rumors became fact because of a stolen tape. Imagine if that tape was never stolen. He would have kept doing what he was doing for longer.

I didn't see it but it's certainly is sad that people knew and did nothing though no surprise. Just look at Bill Cosby as it was said that a lot of stand up comics knew about him, or Jeffery Epstein who for years reporters dubbed his plane the lolita express, so clearly they knew something very wrong was going on and did nothing to report on it that I'm aware of at least. Same with that piece of shit Harvey Weinstein, it was said many in the industry knew about him as well.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I didn't see it but it's certainly is sad that people knew and did nothing though no surprise. Just look at Bill Cosby as it was said that a lot of stand up comics knew about him, or Jeffery Epstein who for years reporters dubbed his plane the lolita express, so clearly they knew something very wrong was going on and did nothing to report on it that I'm aware of at least. Same with that piece of shit Harvey Weinstein, it was said many in the industry knew about him as well.
It's sad to think about, because in all of those cases, it was either too late or people knew and just didn't want to be the one to say anything.

In Cosby's case, it took a stand-up routine for people to say "Oh wait, yeah that ain't right" and then people started to come out from their fear of speaking up and spoke up.

Reactions: montreal

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Snowpiercer season 1 ended. I'm wondering if this show deserves it's own thread? Anyway, what a way to end the season. :eek: Season 2 teaser showed Sean Bean as Wilford and I guess it's almost finished filming.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I watched it, it's okay. Very watchable but I've never seen better shows like Veep so why am I watching it? Also I hate John Malkovich and the accents he puts on in stuff like this or Poirot.

I have never in my life heard anyone say they hate John Malkovich. Why do you hate him out of curiosity?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Snowpiercer season 1 ended. I'm wondering if this show deserves it's own thread? Anyway, what a way to end the season. :eek: Season 2 teaser showed Sean Bean as Wilford and I guess it's almost finished filming.

Absolutely deserves its own thread. What a great series. I didnt know what to expect from it but was pleasantly suprised.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I really liked the series but was disappointed in the ending. Don’t think I’ll watch season two. Without posting spoilers the ending seemed just too far fetched to me. Liked the movie ending better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad