Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The term "eco-travel" amuses me. As long as he's not crusading against fossil fuels or CO2, though, I suppose that it's fine. It sounds like he's focused more on exploring wellness and sustainable living than environmental politics.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Netflix Explores the New York Mafia Takedown in 'Fear City' Trailer.

Saw a trailer for this on Monday, looks promising. As a person whos read a lot and done a lot of research into the mob, I'm excited for this.

Watched the whole thing last night. Wasn't too bad. no surprise that you only had two former members of the Mafia willing to speak. I feel like they could have stretched this out to 5 episodes to give a more informative back story and dive deeper into the 70s & 80s Mafia stuff. I knew a lot of the stuff beforehand but theres a lot of people who have no idea what went on and how powerful they were.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Watched the whole thing last night. Wasn't too bad. no surprise that you only had two former members of the Mafia willing to speak. I feel like they could have stretched this out to 5 episodes to give a more informative back story and dive deeper into the 70s & 80s Mafia stuff. I knew a lot of the stuff beforehand but theres a lot of people who have no idea what went on and how powerful they were.

Yeah I watched the 1st episode, I feel like another Mob doc I watched was a bit more detailed but you had some new characters in this one.

The doc Tread that just came on Netflix is pretty good. It's about the guy in Colorado that converting a bulldozer to a tank basically and proceeded to demolish the town. I never heard this story before.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That's weird. I just read The Turn of the Screw, which this is loosely based on, a few months ago. This is obviously set in a different era, though. In fact, I like how you can immediately tell that it's set in the 90s by the cut of her jeans at the beginning.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Snowpiercer season 1 ended. I'm wondering if this show deserves it's own thread? Anyway, what a way to end the season. :eek: Season 2 teaser showed Sean Bean as Wilford and I guess it's almost finished filming.

I was hooked on that show. I think there was a thread for it, I could be wrong though. It was perfectly paced and the final 2 hours of season 1 had me on the edge of my couch. I had low expectations because I wasn't sure how to drag out the movie over the course of a full series show, but they freaking nailed it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, the mention of Netflix is likely just for territories outside of North America, as it was for Seasons 1 and 2, because the CBS All Access streaming service is or wasn't available outside of the US. I believe that, instead of either service, Canadians had to watch on CTV Space or one of your channels like that. If you haven't seen Seasons 1 and 2, maybe you'll find re-runs on that channel or the episodes might be available on-demand.

Mar 1, 2002
This is on HBO, but I am putting it here because it doesn't deserve a thread, but I watched the 1st part of the documentary about NXIVM called The Vow and it was fascinating.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I know it's 2 seasons in now, but I've been watching Sex Education for the first time recently and it is pretty remarkable. Hilarious, relevant, and poignant in equal measure with great performances.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I know it's 2 seasons in now, but I've been watching Sex Education for the first time recently and it is pretty remarkable. Hilarious, relevant, and poignant in equal measure with great performances.
Yep, it's fantastic. It's a shame well written TV/movies of that genre weren't around instead of shit like American Pie or all movies of that genre.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've enjoyed Netflix for a few years now because I like the mystery series whether British or Scandinavian. So I was deciding what to watch last week and noticed "Borgen" was recommended. Thought I'd give a shot and am glad I did. Danish series about the government. It's not groundbreaking, but it's good. Apparently they have English audio dubbed in for the voices, but I just rely on the subtitles and I hate overdubbing. Also, the series ran from around 2010-2013, but I noticed on IMDB a fourth season is coming in... 2022.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The Dark Crystal cancelled.

Did anyones children actually watch it? My daughter was scared of the characters. All of them.

It seems like a show that didn't really know who was going to watch it

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Dark Crystal cancelled.

Did anyones children actually watch it? My daughter was scared of the characters. All of them.

It seems like a show that didn't really know who was going to watch it

It was cancelled a day after it won the Emmy for Best Children's Program, too. I'm kind of surprised that it was even considered a children's program. After watching it last year, I highly recommended it to my brother, but suggested that it's probably not something to watch with his 7-year-old son. Coincidentally, that's about the same age that I was when the 1984 movie came out, and I remember being a bit creeped out by it, but being creeped out by supposedly children's entertainment was par for the course back then, whereas today's children's entertainment is very tame in comparison and kids aren't used to dark stuff.

I really liked the show and figured that it was made for me and everyone else who remembered the movie from our youth, so I'm sad that it was cancelled. Lisa Henson was quoted as saying that they're still interested in telling more stories, so the possibility of another distributor picking it up exists. Maybe Amazon will rescue it like they rescued The Expanse when SyFy cancelled it. Maybe even Disney will consider it for Disney+, since The Mandalorian proves that they're not just interested in children's stuff and they might care for more "ages 10 and up" programming.

Last edited:

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
I started Ratched on Netflix. Originally when I saw it on the coming soon part of the app, I disregarded it but then I saw the trailer on the homepage and it piqued my interest.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
My kid just finished Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous last night. I was a bit more in an out, but caught most of it. It's actually pretty good. It builds around the lore well, and the characters are all likeable enough, that actually gives it a Breakfast Club vibe at some points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->