Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Has anyone watched Lost in Space or Altered Carbon and if so, do you recommend watching them?

Both shows sound intriguing.
Season 1 of Altered Carbon was good. Season 2 dragged so badly it took me something like four months to get around to finishing it.

--------------------------

Sons of Anarchy started off strong but also faded very badly before long. By about season 4 or 5 I couldn't deal with how stupid it had become. There was a CBC show in the 90's or early 2000's called The Last Chapter. Dramatization of the Hells Angels trying to get chapters in Ontario and the biker war in Quebec. Michael Ironside was the President of the 666ers new chapter in Ontario. He'd have eaten any of the SoA guys for lunch. Well, maybe not Ron Perlman.

Been trying to find that show for a while but I can't. Infinitely better than SoA.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Season 1 of Altered Carbon was good. Season 2 dragged so badly it took me something like four months to get around to finishing it.

--------------------------

Sons of Anarchy started off strong but also faded very badly before long. By about season 4 or 5 I couldn't deal with how stupid it had become. There was a CBC show in the 90's or early 2000's called The Last Chapter. Dramatization of the Hells Angels trying to get chapters in Ontario and the biker war in Quebec. Michael Ironside was the President of the 666ers new chapter in Ontario. He'd have eaten any of the SoA guys for lunch. Well, maybe not Ron Perlman.

Been trying to find that show for a while but I can't. Infinitely better than SoA.
I've watched both seasons of Altered Carbon now and I agree that season 1 was good but season 2 was pretty weak. If they do a 3rd season I'm not sure I'll watch it.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Animal Kingdom was surprisingly really good (seasons 1 and 2 more so than 3/4)

I highly recommend it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Is this a movie or show? Netflix shows just one thing that is 2 hours long?
There is a movie from a few years ago staring Captaian America himself Chris Evans. But there is also a weekly show that is 4 episodes in with the best known actor probably being Jennifer Connelly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There is a movie from a few years ago staring Captaian America himself Chris Evans. But there is also a weekly show that is 4 episodes in with the best known actor probably being Jennifer Connelly.
Is this on the US Netflix? I dont see it coming up on mine. Is it the show that is on TNT?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Is this on the US Netflix? I dont see it coming up on mine. Is it the show that is on TNT?

It's on Canadian netflix for a month now, I would think it would be on the US one. It says a netflix original when it starts so not sure if it's a co-production with TNT....just checked online and ya seems to be with TNT so maybe it's not on US netflix because it's on regular tv there.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's on Canadian netflix for a month now, I would think it would be on the US one. It says a netflix original when it starts so not sure if it's a co-production with TNT....just checked online and ya seems to be with TNT so maybe it's not on US netflix because it's on regular tv there.
Oh darn.

Should i watch the movie? Is it like what happens before the series? Or not similar?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Just watched the 4th episode and ya this is really growing on me. I had my doubts but so far I like it.

The only thing which disappointed me so far was

It was really obvious the young redhead girl was going to turn out to be sketchy because in earlier episodes the camera would very unsubtly pan to her a lot for no good reason. You can see the writers were going for a twist with the murder but it was poorly executed and I saw it coming a mile away.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Pressure is mounting for netflix to drop all of Tarantinos movies after they took of little Britain and HBOmax yanked GOne with the Wind

I believe in a certain amount of political correctness but sometimes we, as a society, go overboard and I am not even a Tarantino or Little Britain fan.

Reactions: montreal

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished Space Force last night. It wasn't bad. I'm not sure if I "liked" it, but it was definitely OK. It's very watchable and has good production values.

The comedy is amusing, but not laugh out loud funny. Fortunately, there is some drama and character development, too. It reminded me slightly of how The Orville wasn't as funny as I expected, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing because it had more depth than I expected. I can't compare this to The Office because I've never seen that, but I wonder if people doing exactly that are those most disappointed because they expected it to be as funny as that.

I'm not a Steve Carell fan, but I liked his character as the General in charge of Space Force. He's bumbling, but also sincere. John Malkovich's character, as the head scientist who acts like he's smarter than everyone else, is often annoying, but he has his moments and the contrast between him and Carell's character is good. As someone said earlier in the thread, the daughter character was really annoying because of how toxic her personality is. I hoped that she would undergo some character development and become likable by the end, but she doesn't. I hope that she gets a personality overhaul for next season.

Others will like the show for its political satire, but I wasn't much of a fan of it. Trump is basically a character in the series, even though he's never seen or named. He's just "the POTUS" that the characters are always referencing and whose constant unreasonable demands make the job of Carell's character harder. The First Lady is even interested in fashion. It's sort of funny, but I also like to get away from the real world late at night. There are also lots and lots of jokes made at the military's expense, especially jokes about being overly aggressive and wanting to use bombs to solve everything. It's all in good fun, but just realize that that forms the basis of a lot of the comedy.

Anyways, while I didn't love it, I also don't regret watching it. I'll eventually watch a Season 2, which I can see being better, especially because this season gets a little better as it moves along. This isn't the greatest of starts, but the series has potential. I would recommend it if you keep your expectations low (especially if you don't expect it to be as funny as comedies like The Office or as satirical as shows like Veep).

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am absolute hooked on F1: Drive to Survive. Its exactly what I needed in these sports deprived times.

F1 is just so great for this kinda format too. All the glitz and glamour and splendor of the competition really shines through. The sweeping vistas of the race courses, the cities, the mountains, the countrysides!

Just a treat for the senses. Highly, highly recommended.

Its got me looking forward to the return of F1 proper.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh darn.

Should i watch the movie? Is it like what happens before the series? Or not similar?

I really liked the film Snowpiercer. Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton in particular do a very good job.

Try to watch it without knowing anything about it.

But I can't say whether it would spoil the TV series.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I watched Black Summer this weekend and it was remarkably decent. The beginning and the way they intertwined storylines was excellent.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really liked the film Snowpiercer. Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton in particular do a very good job.

Try to watch it without knowing anything about it.

But I can't say whether it would spoil the TV series.

I watched the film recently after watching the show for a while. The basic premise is the same but characters and story are different. I enjoyed the movie and am enjoying the series.

Reactions: NyQuil

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I watched the film recently after watching the show for a while. The basic premise is the same but characters and story are different. I enjoyed the movie and am enjoying the series.

Yeah I wouldn't call this a spoiler but the movie is a start to finish "tail" revolt while the show initially starts off with the revolt but then takes a big step back settling into a murder mystery/general life on the train thing. Or up to this point at least. You can probably watch both independently without giving anything away.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah I wouldn't call this a spoiler but the movie is a start to finish "tail" revolt while the show initially starts off with the revolt but then takes a big step back settling into a murder mystery/general life on the train thing. Or up to this point at least. You can probably watch both independently without giving anything away.

I did notice that the fishtank cart and the nightclub cart looked pretty identical in the movie and series. Plus Boon Jong-Ho is an executice producer on the series.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I did notice that the fishtank cart and the nightclub cart looked pretty identical in the movie and series. Plus Boon Jong-Ho is an executice producer on the series.

If I were to put it another way, just picking numbers here but it seems like the movie is year 7 on the train while the show seems more like year 5 or 6.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I were to put it another way, just picking numbers here but it seems like the movie is year 7 on the train while the show seems more like year 5 or 6.

I think they both mention how long they've been on the train in both medias. I think the movie is 15 years. Chris Evans' character says how long he's been on train and how long he was outside of it.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I believe that executive producers have little input on shows and movies. They pick the regular producers and intercede with the studio if there are problems, but mostly stay in their offices (which is why they're called "executive" producers) while the regular producers are the ones on set every day and making all of the decisions about how the production looks and feels. I read that Jong-Ho has very little involvement with the series and, IIRC, visited the set only once. If it's good or bad, it won't be because of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->