Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Started watching Breaking Bad (finally). Four episodes in. So far, so good. What do you guys think of it?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've enjoyed Netflix for a few years now because I like the mystery series whether British or Scandinavian. So I was deciding what to watch last week and noticed "Borgen" was recommended. Thought I'd give a shot and am glad I did. Danish series about the government. It's not groundbreaking, but it's good. Apparently they have English audio dubbed in for the voices, but I just rely on the subtitles and I hate overdubbing. Also, the series ran from around 2010-2013, but I noticed on IMDB a fourth season is coming in... 2022.

Just finished Borgen last night. Definitely still recommend it.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Started The Haunting of Bly Manor, which could be as good, maybe better than The Haunting of Hill House (that I liked quite a bit). Like its predecessor, it's based on a classic horror story that's been adapted quite a few times, but never better than in the 60s [The Haunting (Wise, 1963) and here The Innocents (Clayton, 1961)].

I've also watched Season 2 of Homecoming, but that's on Prime...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Finished watching The Haunting of Bly Manor yesterday. It seemed to meander at times, and some plot points didn't really land for me (particularly Peter's whole arc which I think was underdeveloped), but the last couple episodes definitely delivered.

Definitely a step behind The Haunting of Hill House, but certainly worth the time spent watching.

Reactions: Korg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought The Haunting Of Bly Manor was...perfectly splendid.

The final episodes really delivered and it ended in a completely different way than I expected. As one character said, it wasn't a ghost story, it was a love story.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Finished watching The Haunting of Bly Manor yesterday. It seemed to meander at times, and some plot points didn't really land for me (particularly Peter's whole arc which I think was underdeveloped), but the last couple episodes definitely delivered.

Definitely a step behind The Haunting of Hill House, but certainly worth the time spent watching.

Agreed. First episode was promising, then it faded. Fourth episode was promising (the one with Hannah...), but then it faded again and never lived to the expectations. Hill House was a lot better.

I thought The Haunting Of Bly Manor was...perfectly splendid.

The final episodes really delivered and it ended in a completely different way than I expected. As one character said, it wasn't a ghost story, it was a love story.

The 8th episode wasn't bad in itself, but it killed the whole series, way too much explanations and exposition. Final episode was a bore.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The 8th episode wasn't bad in itself, but it killed the whole series, way too much explanations and exposition. Final episode was a bore.

Episode 8 set up the background for the Lady In The Lake and the "rules" of the house and the whole prevalent threat for the finale. The whole of finale was just waiting for when Dani's and Jamie's happiness would end. I think episode 2 to 4 had some pacing issues but at the end you realize how much they spent on developing all the characters and it made it all worthwhile. Fun fact by the way, the girl who played Flora is the voice of the English version of Peppa The Pig.

I went on Youtube to check the comments for Sheryl Crow's I shall believe" and the most viewed version was filled with "Bly Manor ending :cry: " type comments. The finale basically "wrecked" many people emotionally.

This wasn't nearly as scary as Hill House but that season draaaaagged. I fell asleep during several episodes, twice during the one shot episode. That didn't happen once on Bly Manor. The fact that they succeeded in making me care more about the characters than on Hill House played a part.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Callbacks to Hill House:

d926045ee5b180317127043c3b8fe07b9510ea5b.gifv

13770add5d4f09c662b590d2cc0774539e52e5cc.gifv

e6b2dc416caec97e8211bba51fb399fbe57de8ed.gifv

aaf6d72aee2f69b9f0a4258967f606de3b0d75b2.gifv

a4c88768b9ba38b393e016af372ac123102a41d7.gifv

1b63167a6c1214010132887d7732b8dc403639f3.gifv

9ecac2297859b9bd2e838c880dba839396e58b2b.gifv

There's few more but they're a bit spoilerish.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Episode 8 set up the background for the Lady In The Lake and the "rules" of the house and the whole prevalent threat for the finale. The whole of finale was just waiting for when Dani's and Jamie's happiness would end. I think episode 2 to 4 had some pacing issues but at the end you realize how much they spent on developing all the characters and it made it all worthwhile. Fun fact by the way, the girl who played Flora is the voice of the English version of Peppa The Pig.

I went on Youtube to check the comments for Sheryl Crow's I shall believe" and the most viewed version was filled with "Bly Manor ending :cry: " type comments. The finale basically "wrecked" many people emotionally.

This wasn't nearly as scary as Hill House but that season draaaaagged. I fell asleep during several episodes, twice during the one shot episode. That didn't happen once on Bly Manor. The fact that they succeeded in making me care more about the characters than on Hill House played a part.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. Hannah is the only character I cared for, and I had to fight sleep away for episodes 5 to 9.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. Hannah is the only character I cared for, and I had to fight sleep away for episodes 5 to 9.

To me the themes of this season were grief, death and love. When
Owen's mother
died and after the funeral he talked about her fading away, I felt that because my mother passed away almost a year ago, though from cancer instead of Alzheimer.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
To me the themes of this season were grief, death and love. When
Owen's mother
died and after the funeral he talked about her fading away, I felt that because my mother passed away almost a year ago, though from cancer instead of Alzheimer.
Sorry about that <3

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The new Halloween movie with Adam Sandler, Hubie Halloween, was surprisingly very good. Dont go in expecting the movie of the year and you’ll enjoy the little comedy.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
The new Halloween movie with Adam Sandler, Hubie Halloween, was surprisingly very good. Dont go in expecting the movie of the year and you’ll enjoy the little comedy.

I wanted to watch this but I have a question, did the voice Adam Sandler use get on your nerves? I couldn't get through the trailer. So annoying.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wanted to watch this but I have a question, did the voice Adam Sandler use get on your nerves? I couldn't get through the trailer. So annoying.
Truthfully, the first few minutes I wasn't sure how I would sit through the whole movie, but i quickly got used to it after those first few minutes. He actually i thought did extremely well in the movie. I would give it 10 minutes, I think in that time you'll get used to it like I did.

Reactions: deadinthewater

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Truthfully, the first few minutes I wasn't sure how I would sit through the whole movie, but i quickly got used to it after those first few minutes. He actually i thought did extremely well in the movie. I would give it 10 minutes, I think in that time you'll get used to it like I did.

It really wasn't that bad, both his voice and the movie. Despite some "dirtier" humor spots, it was actually kind of a nice wholesome movie. I liked the kid from Stranger Things. His character was just a nice kid. Like, just a normal nice kid. I feel like that is rarely portrayed in movies or TV. It also had some interesting twists that were funny. I wouldn't have gone to a theater to see it, but since it is on Netflix, why not?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The lady friend watches it, so by association I end up seeing some of it. I typically dick around on my phone when it's on though. Gotta watch with subtitles too, as sometimes the accents are tough

I get up at 430 the day the new episode comes out to watch. I can't f***ing bake, but I am addicted to the show. And I want her to win

Reactions: Osprey

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I get up at 430 the day the new episode comes out to watch. I can't f***ing bake, but I am addicted to the show. And I want her to win

lol i like the older guy but i think he might have gotten the boot. I have only seen the first episode and a half of the newest season

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
lol i like the older guy but i think he might have gotten the boot. I have only seen the first episode and a half of the newest season

Rowan. :)

(I also listen to 4 podcasts about the show. I know)

He's the "favorite gay uncle" to some or the "gay uncle who invites you to his house, but won't let you sit on the couch" to others. :)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

I'm not done with it, started it last night as crap-before-sleep. It's funny enough in parts, but it's a pretty bad film. And Sandler is, indeed, IMO at least, really unbearable. Never thought of him as an actor, but this is just terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino