Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Watched Outer Banks. It's an adult Goonies and kinda dumb but overly enjoyable. Plus it was filmed in Charleston, SC, where I live. Worth turning your mind off and enjoying for a while.

Also watched Never Have I Ever. Really good, really sweet and funny show about youth and growing up.

It was enjoyable, but I had to laugh at how the popular, hot jock guy was supposed to be a high schooler. He looked 30 :laugh:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Made it to the half-way point of the new season of Dead to Me last night. So far, this season sucks. Season 1 was awesome. I hope it picks up some pace soon.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Watching "Into the Night." International cast. Disaster series on a plane. Acting isn't great and you need a healthy dose of disbelief, but it is entertaining.
Finished it yesterday, only 6 eps but I enjoyed it.

This was nothing amazing but it kept me entertained. Episodes are only 35-40 minutes so it's an easy watch even considering the 6 episodes. I like the concept and some of the characters were interesting to me as well. They seem like cliches at the start but they round them out more as they go.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This was nothing amazing but it kept me entertained. Episodes are only 35-40 minutes so it's an easy watch even considering the 6 episodes. I like the concept and some of the characters were interesting to me as well. They seem like cliches at the start but they round them out more as they go.
Ya it was a nice little suspenseful shows, but it definitely had a few holes...the biggest was when:

half the group went the wrong way in the finale, they went left instead of right....ended up jumping over some big fence and somehow it led them right to the bunker, totally bypassing the guy handcuffed to the front gate, how the hell did that happen, did they go around the whole world? :laugh:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Highly recommend Outer Banks. Very well done production wise and one of their better shows over the last year. Looking forward to season 2.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Watched Outer Banks as well. 16 year old "kids." Right.....Was okay but wouldn't recommend.
Lol I enjoyed it but yeah I thought they were supposed to be 17-18 year olds, not 16. The last few episodes had such a high pace/intensity to them.

Only major gripe was the scene where John B and Sarah try to drive the boat into the tropical storm to escape. The boat capsizes and they clearly don't have life jackets on but when the "come to" the next day they have on life jackets and both happen to pass out while simultaneously holding onto what remains of their capsized boat. That and the background on the close up shots of them during the escape was some of the worst green screen work in the entire show.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Has anyone watched Lost in Space or Altered Carbon and if so, do you recommend watching them?

Both shows sound intriguing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Has anyone watched Lost in Space or Altered Carbon and if so, do you recommend watching them?

Both very different shows.

Lost in Space is like a kid/family show, I watched a few eps but it was too cheesy. Altered Carbon has a rich storyline that I thought was very very well done.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I watched the first season of Lost in Space and recommend it if you like sci-fi, especially if you're in the mood for one that's not hardcore or will be watching with someone who isn't that into sci-fi. I've been looking forward to watching the second season.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm halfway through Into the Night. It's so bad. It's the quality of a network TV movie, not what you're probably accustomed to from Netflix (likely because Netflix bought its distribution rights simply to make it their first Belgian series). The premise is that a bunch of people in a commercial jet fly west to stay in night time because the sun is killing everyone at dawn. Despite the passengers learning that apocalyptic news for the first time from a crazed hijacker, they quickly accept it as fact and hardly raise the logistics of outrunning the sun forever. It's pretty unbelievable, and then you also have the surprising and coincidental backstories of some of the passengers that add extra drama at key points along the way. It takes a huge amount of suspension of disbelief to ignore how ridiculous everything is. That said, it's so ridiculous that it's sort of entertaining, and played so seriously that it's slightly funny. It's also only 6 episodes of 35 minutes each, so it's not a big time commitment. I'm going to finish it for those reasons and because I'm a sucker for dramas on planes, but I'm not sure that I would actually recommend it unless you happen to be in a "so bad it's good" mood.

Edit: It's a Belgian series, but there's English dubbing.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm halfway through Into the Night. It's so bad. It's the quality of a network TV movie, not what you're accustomed to from Netflix (likely because Netflix bought its distribution rights simply to make it their first Belgian series). The premise is that a bunch of people in a commercial jet fly west to stay in night time because the sun is killing everyone at dawn. Despite the passengers learning that apocalyptic news for the first time from a crazed hijacker, they quickly accept it as fact and hardly raise the logistics of outrunning the sun forever (like, oh, fuel, especially if no one is alive to do the re-fueling for them). It's pretty unbelievable, and then you also have the surprising and coincidental backstories of some of the passengers that add extra drama at key points along the way. More than suspension of disbelief, it takes willful ignoring of how ridiculous everything is. That said, it's so ridiculous that it's sort of entertaining, and played so seriously that it's slightly funny. It's also only 6 episodes of 35 minutes each, so it's not a big time commitment. I'm going to finish it for those reasons and because I'm a sucker for dramas on planes, but I'm not sure that I would actually recommend it unless you happen to be in a "so bad it's good" mood.
To each their own. Found it very enjoyable as did a lot of my friends.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To each their own. Found it very enjoyable as did a lot of my friends.

That's fine. I did say that it's somewhat entertaining, in spite of all of its problems. I just wanted to point out those problems to warn people who are picky about quality and already have too many other things to watch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Highly recommend Altered Carbon. Very cyber punk, dark, but super well done.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Just finished Kingdom, really enjoyed it. Only 6 episodes a season and only 2 seasons right now. About a plague that turns people into zombies mixed with political intrigue set in 1600 Korea, really well done and not scary, in a jumping out at you or in a creepy way. Kind of makes me think what the last season of Game of Thrones could have been like

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just finished Kingdom, really enjoyed it. Only 6 episodes a season and only 2 seasons right now. About a plague that turns people into zombies mixed with political intrigue set in 1600 Korea, really well done and not scary, in a jumping out at you or in a creepy way. Kind of makes me think what the last season of Game of Thrones could have been like
Turned it on, and turned it imminently off when it wasn't in English.

Wish people would let us know if a certain show isn't in English so we don't waste out time checking it out.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Very different but I would call both good science fiction, in that the technology, future society, and overall concepts are all very sound. Lost in Space is a family orientated show set during a virgin new world space colonization period. Altered Carbon is an R-rated cyberpunk detective show set in the far flung future.

So depending on what you want both are good shows.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and Osprey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad