Net comes off in final minute of Chicago/Toronto game.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Sorry, I meant objective Hawks fans. Actually, even you know, you just won't admit it.

It was not off from before. The net zips right back into position after that play, and you can see the post perfectly aligned with the goal line, in both videos showing both plays.

Even if the peg was mildly damaged, which is there is no indication of, the net was in place and fine before the goalie intentionally pushed it off, which is against the rules. The post was pushed against in the time between those plays multiple times, and it conveniently didn't come off except when the goalie needed it to.

People grasping at straws to try and disprove something that is overwhelmingly obvious.
You're the least objective person in here? Stop embarrassing yourself, you're so delusional that you think something that is obvious to like 99% of the other people in here is wrong because it affected your team poorly. And everyone only believes it wasnt intentional because its the leafs and you have a horrible victim mentality. Grow up.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
LOL. I'd understand if the Yotes were whining ... but the League wants Chicago over TORONTO? Toronto - the alleged MECCA of hockey? Where they print money due to hockey? This has to be the dumbest argument of all time.

Yeah ... the NHL wants Toronto to struggle.

The Leafs were CRASHING into the net the last 5 minutes. There were some borderline interference penalties that were not called. Please spare me the tears. Delia barely went against the post when the net came off. Furthermore, there was a clear whistle when everyone stopped playing except the shooter.

Here was the REAL issue: why did the Leafs sleep walk through the first 40 minutes? That LOSS was all on the Leafs players. Heck, Crow didn't even play in the 3rd period and the Hawks still held on.
Sorry to go on a tangent as I'm not too concerned with the net incident. I just want to counter your argument on the profit motivations of the league.

The Leafs are a cash cow. The NHL knows it can walk all over the Leafs and its fans because they will show up win or lose. They have the Canadian market locked down. Short term profits from the success of a Canadian team pales in comparison to the potential markets that could open up with the success of American teams. I am not saying there is a conspiracy one way or another. Just that the history of the development of the league on either side of the border suggests they want a bigger piece of the American sports pie and the Canadian market is pretty much set.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
This is still going on?

Game over, and hopefully the Hawks learned a valuable lesson - it's hard to get those legs pumping again after shutting them down, especially on the road. It could have cost them any chance at the playoffs.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
The only conspiracy here is that the refs allowed just about everything to go uncalled in the game (on both sides) because NBC had a double-header and the start of the Devils-Oilers game was already being delayed.

$$$ talks

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Sorry to go on a tangent as I'm not too concerned with the net incident. I just want to counter your argument on the profit motivations of the league.

The Leafs are a cash cow. The NHL knows it can walk all over the Leafs and its fans because they will show up win or lose. They have the Canadian market locked down. Short term profits from the success of a Canadian team pales in comparison to the potential markets that could open up with the success of American teams. I am not saying there is a conspiracy one way or another. Just that the history of the development of the league on either side of the border suggests they want a bigger piece of the American sports pie and the Canadian market is pretty much set.
The NHL also has the Chicago market locked down. The Hawks have struggled the past 2 years and still sell out their arena AND get good local TV ratings.

Just like the Chicago Cubs winning for the first time in 100+ years, the Leafs winning for the first time since 1961 would be HUGE bonanza for everyone. I get that the NHL wants to grow the American market. However, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, Washington, Detroit, etc. aren't the problem.

And for advertisers, a STRONG original six presence in the playoffs is what they want. If I'm not mistaken, Toronto is an original six (or are you saying otherwise?). If they make a long run (home ice), that's great for the sponsors. The Hawks aren't really going to contend for another year or 2.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The only conspiracy here is that the refs allowed just about everything to go uncalled in the game (on both sides) because NBC had a double-header and the start of the Devils-Oilers game was already being delayed.

$$$ talks
Because so many people want to watch New Jersey vs. Edmonton ... instead of Chicago vs. Toronto. McJesus is good, but that good.

My guess ... people were going to bed after the first game.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It is. It really, really is. Every fanbase has em of course. We just happen to have a lot of em.
I think a lot of that happens to be because there are so many Leafs fans. Hawks have been arguably the best team in the league over the last decade (Pittsburgh is arguably as good as or possibly a little better) and we're an original six franchise yet we probably don't even have half the posters that the Leafs have. And when you have that many posters, it sometimes turns into a bit of a mob mentality.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
OMG, the net coming off in a CHICAGO versus TORONTO game where TORONTO got impacted?!?!

Let's discuss it like it's not something that happens all the time in non CHICAGO vs TORONTO games.

It's held in there by a rubber hose, it's going to come off sometimes.

No wonder this place is going to shit when you have moderators who post this sarcastic dribble to encourage others.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't feel like combing through 4 pages....have we talked about how Marner just dove on top of and layed on Delia in the first place? Is that Cheating? I mean it was clear execution caught on video with no punishment or consequences.
Yes, we've talked about how the Chicago goalie was breakdancing for 30 seconds 5 meters outside the crease with the puck live and behind him in front of a wide open net, and marner dove at the puck, just like every player is allowed and supposed to do, and it had zero impact on the game.

Why in the world would Marner try to dive on top of a goalie and take himself out of the play and shorthand his team when the goalie is literally already taking himself out of the play all on his own and there is already an empty net and free puck behind him. Why would he risk the goal being called back by doing something which has absolutely zero impact on it? Leafs sneeze near a goalie and get goals called back.

At least make some sense with your random accusations.

1st period penalties are not OT penalties. And definitely not OT game 7 penalties.
You really picked the wrong penalty to compare it to, because that is literally one of the few if only penalties that they call properly in that scenario.

Probably because it so directly correlates to the complete elimination of a scoring chance, instead of just a partial obstruction. A complete elimination of a scoring chance, kinda like how the Chicago goalie clearly and intentionally delayed the game and forced a stoppage of play and completely eliminated a prime scoring chance in the last minute of a one-goal game after a relentless assault.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The NHL also has the Chicago market locked down. The Hawks have struggled the past 2 years and still sell out their arena AND get good local TV ratings.

Just like the Chicago Cubs winning for the first time in 100+ years, the Leafs winning for the first time since 1961 would be HUGE bonanza for everyone. I get that the NHL wants to grow the American market. However, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, Washington, Detroit, etc. aren't the problem.

And for advertisers, a STRONG original six presence in the playoffs is what they want. If I'm not mistaken, Toronto is an original six (or are you saying otherwise?). If they make a long run (home ice), that's great for the sponsors. The Hawks aren't really going to contend for another year or 2.
Actually, what advertisers in the U.S. want, is people in the U.S. watching. Chicago making a comeback to make the playoffs is a great story, and Chicago draws U.S. viewers. Why do you think they've been in 4 Winter Classics?

Television contract is up in 2 years.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You really picked the wrong penalty to compare it to, because that is literally one of the few if only penalties that they call properly in that scenario.

Probably because it so directly correlates to the complete elimination of a scoring chance, instead of just a partial obstruction. A complete elimination of a scoring chance, kinda like how the Chicago goalie clearly and intentionally delayed the game and forced a stoppage of play and completely eliminated a prime scoring chance in the last minute of a one-goal game after a relentless assault.

Playoffs - 3rd Period Game 6

And the one that I can't forget... high stick... blood... automatic.... except it wasn't:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Actually, what advertisers in the U.S. want, is people in the U.S. watching. Chicago making a comeback to make the playoffs is a great story, and Chicago draws U.S. viewers. Why do you think they've been in 4 Winter Classics?

And if you haven't noticed, Chicago fans have been complaining about the Winter Classics. We're TIRED of it.

The issue with the NHL is their lack of exposure on ESPN. Have you seen what ESPN is doing with UFC. In 2 months, they have grown the sport far more than FOX could ever do. The NHL is stuck on NBC. They need ESPN. Chicago isn't going to move the needle. It did in 2010. However, that's been maximized. There are a lot of Canadians living in the US who would love to see Toronto win one since 1961. Heck, most American hockey fans would be interested too.

To say Chicago has more market appeal in hockey than Toronto is ridiculous. Toronto's fan base is HUGE in North America. There is a story line that journalists can sell with Toronto and 1961 ... just like Ovie last year.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC

NBC believes ratings will fall if they air Canadian teams. It took an incredible rookie performance from an American player just to get the Leafs on the network for its next game.
NBC Sports Executive Producer Sam Flood admitted the only reason the second Toronto Maple Leafs game of the season aired on his network was because Matthews scored four goals in his NHL debut: “This is purely based on a player. No reason we’re doing this other than Auston Matthews.”

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Playoffs - 3rd Period Game 6

More of a sprawling block, where there is a lot more leeway given especially when they make contact with the puck, but even if you want to call it a trip, it didn't take away possession and it didn't take away the scoring chance, among other differences.

Even still, even though it had a significantly smaller impact on the resulting play and it was a much more gray area, I'm sure people were upset and talked about it. As they should.

And the one that I can't forget... high stick... blood... automatic.... except it wasn't:

And it's been one of the biggest stories in hockey and that ref has been vilified for 25 years, and he has described it as one of the defining moments of his career, so I'm not sure how you're connecting that to this being a non-story that happens all the time.

When people screw up their role in important situations, people notice. People care. People remember.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, or why you're bringing up random youtube videos. Sometimes players do stupid things. This goalie did a stupid thing and cheated. Sometimes refs screw up. This is one of those times, where the ref screwed up and allowed him to cheat and affected the outcome of the game. We are allowed to talk about it and it shouldn't just be ignored and accepted.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
To say Chicago has more market appeal in hockey than Toronto is ridiculous. Toronto's fan base is HUGE in North America. There is a story line that journalists can sell with Toronto and 1961 ... just like Ovie last year.
"Market" is one thing. U.S. viewers are another. U.S. viewers are what matter.

I mean it kinda just speaks to how little Americans know or care about Toronto when you couldn't even get the year we last won right, despite it being a running joke for the last few decades.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Yes, we've talked about how the Chicago goalie was breakdancing for 30 seconds 5 meters outside the crease with the puck live and behind him in front of a wide open net, and marner dove at the puck, just like every player is allowed and supposed to do, and it had zero impact on the game.

Why in the world would Marner try to dive on top of a goalie and take himself out of the play and shorthand his team when the goalie is literally already taking himself out of the play all on his own and there is already an empty net and free puck behind him. Why would he risk the goal being called back by doing something which has absolutely zero impact on it? Leafs sneeze near a goalie and get goals called back.

At least make some sense with your random accusations..

LOL..... Marner landed directly on top of him, stayed there and is the reason Delia lost his stick.

To the play itself that was a standard move to the post by a goalie ( in fact I think he got beat earlier when he wasn’t tight to the post) the net came off like it was pegged in a youth game.... it had to have been loose even if it was still in place.

Throw in the extremely soft slashing call on Kane and PP goal and there is no way you are getting that call and rightfully so.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Everybody that was actually watching the game knows full well that he did that on purpose 100%. Chicago was being completely dominated on an extended shift, in the last minutes of a 1-goal game, with the goalie pulled, after a miraculous comeback. The goalie had been flopping like a wet fish for 30 seconds, Chicago players were exhausted, and Toronto's top goal scorer was about to get the puck in front of the net. There had been about 5 Grade A scoring chances in the last 15 seconds.

LOL @ people in this thread claiming that you need a jackhammer to get the net out of its place when they are specifically designed to come off with the force of a player sliding into it, which is exactly what the goalie did, in a very awkward and deliberate way, even though there was no reason for him to do that at the time other than to intentionally knock the net off. Anything to stick your head in the sands it seems. The net was clearly in the proper grooves before the goalie pushed it off. It's on video.

It's cheating and a disgraceful move. No place for that in hockey. By the rules, it's a penalty shot. Of course, it wasn't awarded. It honestly should be an automatic goal when a goalie does it as blatantly as this.

I'd like to see some of your reactions when this decides a playoff game. Though let's be honest, you don't care because most of your teams would probably get that call.

This post is completely delusional. That is all.

Reactions: Crow and TKB

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I think a lot of that happens to be because there are so many Leafs fans. Hawks have been arguably the best team in the league over the last decade (Pittsburgh is arguably as good as or possibly a little better) and we're an original six franchise yet we probably don't even have half the posters that the Leafs have. And when you have that many posters, it sometimes turns into a bit of a mob mentality.
That's definitely the case, and it reflects poorly on the rest. Personally, I consider myself to be a reasonable fan most of the time. However, in a recent thread I questioned why it was on the main boards out of genuine curiosity, why the topic was relevant to the NHL as a whole. I made the mistake of mentioning being a Leafs fan and a poster jumped down my throat for being a whiny Leafs fan that thinks the only team that matters is Toronto. I was a bit taken aback, but those kinds of fans DO exist so I could see where it was coming from.

Reactions: Pyrophorus and Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad